Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,799 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad (30463 Views)

Why Must Travelers Buy Bread When Returning To Their Families? / British Airways Offers Promo Fares To London For Nigerian Travelers / Boarding A Plane For The First Time (Your Experience) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by dazzy4real(m): 2:08am On Dec 25, 2013
Am realy enjoyin dis thread cos am so learning alot.. Wen me go enter jand na calculator go b my frnd i can aford to lose anytin buh oyinbo no fit cheat me cos i go dey do convrrsion on d go as e dey hot!
Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by KingEdwardI(m): 9:11am On Dec 25, 2013
dazzy4real: Am realy enjoyin dis thread cos am so learning alot.. Wen me go enter jand na calculator go b my frnd i can aford to lose anytin buh oyinbo no fit cheat me cos i go dey do convrrsion on d go as e dey hot!

Bro....if you are calculating everytime before you spend, you WILL NOT buy anything. Best is to view the money as it is (£20 is as #20 except it holds more value) & not start converting everytime or else.... Don't be surprised if your calculator displays 'I'm angry at you'.....even IRON MAN who is all hi-tech can't save except for those 'THREE OLD WOMEN' in your village
By the way, you'll be exhibiting 'NEW ARRIVAL THINGS'
PS: Enjoy your duration of stay when you come visiting.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by IamDebola: 10:32am On Dec 25, 2013
futurewise11: my first day in germany was very funny.inside airport i was just showing my admission letter to everybody looking for direction to my school.they just keep on saying keine english (i cant speak english)..................i just dey laugh my self until police advice me take taxi ohhh..chai...70(15000k)euro for 1 hour journey.
as i carry my 10kg of semo for head na so i dey push my travelling bag ooh.at the centre of my city i locate a very beautiful turkish restaurant immediately the guy mention reis i said yes thats exactly what i want,oboy come see rice,fear go grip u.after paying 16 euro i visit the toilet more than baba suwe while in ndlea custody.anyday i pass that restaurant na cause i dey cause them ohhh.cos now its now i just realise the value of that money.

Lmfao!
Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by Originalsly: 6:31pm On Dec 25, 2013
First time abroad.... New York City....bought the Sunday Times newspapers....took one section only and was impressed by its thickness. The guy called me back twice before I got the complete papers! By the following Sunday I was still struggling to go through it all...and later trying to store it!

2 Likes

Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by fattbabakay(m): 10:02pm On Dec 25, 2013
Person wey neva commot 4rm WARRI go dey write FICTION bout tym in NEW YORK...E tall ooo!!!

2 Likes

Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by Sloganz: 10:39pm On Dec 25, 2013
fattbabakay: Person wey neva commot 4rm WARRI go dey write FICTION bout tym in NEW YORK...E tall ooo!!!
looooooool
Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by dotcomnamename: 2:49am On Dec 26, 2013
Originalsly: First time abroad.... New York City....bought the Sunday Times newspapers....took one section only and was impressed by its thickness. The guy called me back twice before I got the complete papers! By the following Sunday I was still struggling to go through it all...and later trying to store it!

Hi Originalsly, fattbabakay say you never commot from Warri you con dey write FICTION bout tym in NEW YORK. Cos na only u i see mention New York O! abi na my eye? grin

Na true? shocked grin

2 Likes

Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by dotcomnamename: 2:50am On Dec 26, 2013
fattbabakay: Person wey neva commot 4rm WARRI go dey write FICTION bout tym in NEW YORK...E tall ooo!!!

U bad o! grin

Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by Originalsly: 12:47pm On Dec 26, 2013
Lol....maybe!
Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jan 01, 2014
Funny Thread!!!
Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by Brownie4joel: 11:28am On Jan 05, 2014
LOL
IamDebola: Well, as for me.
I tried to cross the road not knowing that I have to follow the zebra crossing. Or move close to the traffic light and press the button on the traffic light so that cars will stop for me and I'll stylishly cross the road.
I just want to cross from any angle like Naija wey u go just cross from anywhere, thank God sai the big bus no jam me! SO HELP ME GOD

*************************************************************************************

My first time in their big buses, when I entered, the conductor [Well dressed beautiful lady] came to me, then I payed her.
When I was about to alight, I don't know how to, in the sense that, I have been looking at everyone in the bus, nobody said a thing or raised a finger unlike naija wey pple go just dey shout from the back seat Owa, Owa. I almost called the conductor to tell her that I'll be alighting at the next bus-stop then I discovered a button right at the lower end of my seat, I don't even know what the button stands for, maybe it's for emergency or anything.. I just pressed it, after pressing it, something signaled to the driver that there is a passenger who wish to alight at the next bus-stop.. Next thing I know was that the bus stopped...

*******************************************************************************************
I went to a shopping mall, after I don buy plenty things and I was about to check-out, I payed and I was expecting them to help me pack my stuffs inside nylon.. Na the price of Nylon dem tell me next.. Then I was like, So I have to to pay for nylon after all these stuffs wey I buy..
But now I'm a baddo!
I laugh at first timer doing silly things..
No be small thing sha..
Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by Dextra(f): 12:44am On Jan 06, 2014
Me happened few days ago. Flying on a plane first time, I've always avoided flying in Nigeria whenever I had the opportunity opportunityas as i was scared of crash! I'll rather take the night bus.
Traveling first time for 20 ho urs in the air! I ironed all my clothes before packing (didn't know what I was thinking).
Had a tough time finding my connecting flight at Heathrow airport. I almost cried!
Next day after I got to my destination, I had to walk for over 15 minutes to find a shop to buy adapter as my phone and laptop charger can't fit into intothe socket. I got to an intersection where I needed to cross to the other side of the road. There's the "hand" sign that I was waiting for it to turn green before I can cross but it never did. I stood there waiting for long time, all the cars stopped and moved on yet it refused to show green. I felt everyone was watching me from their cars. After waiting for long I just moved far away from the traffic light and crossed! I thought I was going to be arrested so I walked faster!.
Inside the shop, after purchAsing the adapter, the white guy who sold it to me began asking me questions and he finished by asking...."would you like to have a drink with me tonight"? See me see wahala? I didn't know how to answer that... so I told him that's inappropriate!inappropriate! Her said that's weird! Is it normal to have a drink with someone you don't know?

The hotel I'm staying at offers free breakfast, I walked into the room the first day and nobody was inside, different stuffs they called "food" were lined up, I'm not familiar with any of the food so I picked something that look like buns. The same thing applies to the restaurant. I've lost lots of weight within theses few days of arrival because I'm not eating well and I hate the food!

More to come.....

8 Likes

Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by moonraker(m): 4:12am On Jan 07, 2014
Funny enough i cant relate to the various experiences on this thread.

however, i do remember two incidents that when i think of it right now, i was just plainly ignorant.

Incident 1

landed in Osaka Japan after a 35 hr flight frm lagos, couldnt read shit back then so with my heavy luggage,

i stepped on the escalator (first time), well to my embarrassment, i and my luggage tumbled down the moving

escalator. everyone around were just laughing.

Incident 2

In singapore, trying to get to Sentosa from orchard road, could not locate the nearest MRT so i decided to take a cab.

tried waving down cabs but they would not stop. When one eventually stopped, i grabbed the door handle and went into

the cab. The taxi guy told me to Bleep out and join the line waiting for taxis. I was embarrassed and angry.

oh well you live and you learn.

4 Likes

Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by damola1: 11:50am On Oct 24, 2014
Matthewbriggs:
Went on a business trip to the Uk my first time.

1. I arrived at heathrow, i took the underground train service via piccadilly line and arrived at straford. I then proceeded to take a black cab. men as I balance inside the cab, the man started driving

I asked him how much he told me the couter will decided ... oboy as the jouney progress my mind no rest... i just dey watch as the couter dey count... as e dey move i dey automatically convert am to naira kai...

We con jamb go slow. Mehn i begin dey sweat after he knak me bill for that trip. I stayed away from black cabs. I chose buses and subway all the way.

I had issues adjusting to their food I remember entering a posh bar and ordering one nice sounding meal... mehn as the food arrive i nearly vomit. I had to abandon the food.

I also remember strugging to get a bottled water at one of the fridges at heathrow, I was looking for the sales girl...untill discoverd it was automatic, i put in two pounds in the machine expecting change.. na so i wait tire. i con bone the change commot... jare.

Those cabbies.. na dem dey chop pass, u are very lucky.. you even knew the train.. o boy, na 130pounds we pay,.... na so we dey calculate.. 30k for transport.. choi.. oyinbo don gba us!.. na so the driver dey talk, you guys from africa are very lucky, na later i jassie oyster card, dem dey mad ni

2 Likes

Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by dere5: 4:01pm On Mar 06, 2015
I remembered my 1st trip abroad to chicago,that was how i woke up in the middle of the night and saw light and i quickly rushed to charge my phone and iron my clothes, only to remember that i was in Amee and not 9ja

Another one was one night a friend left the door of his apathment wide open for a while,na him i beging quarel am say mosquitos go enter house o
Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by AceMiss: 1:11pm On Mar 09, 2015
I remember my first time in London,stayed in Premier lnn close to Heathrow for the night(my cousin was to pick me the next morning),when it got dark I decided to have dinner in their restuarant. As I sat down,a waitress came over with the menu(that was where the wahala started),I looked menu up and down for almost 20minutes,I couldn't find something I could eat. I shall saw one meal with "pasta" in it so I picked it thinking that with my spaghetti and macarroni eating skills I should be able to handle that. That was how the waitress brought a meal containing olive oil,half cooked pasta,fresh leaves and cheese(I tried one spoon and ended up being sick for 2 days)

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by lewinsky1: 8:52pm On Mar 09, 2015
I remember my first day at school in Norway a long time ago. I had just transferred from a Nigerian University. I dressed up corporate with tucked in red and yellow long sleeves shirt, sharply pressed purples ( interspersed with green stripes) trousers. red and a yellow tie (to match the shirt), and ''cock'' shoes. The shoes clicked loudly when you walked. in Nigeria then it was considered very fashionable.

I has very surprised and embarrassed to notice that everyone else had on Polo and casual tops with Jean or slacks and mostly sneaker, even the staff. And worse of all the ''Cock'' shoe was making such a racket on the polished floors of the school.

First chance I got, i hitched a ride with some students that same day to the clothing stores and changed everything, put on everything and dumped my Naija clothes in the store trash.

3 Likes

Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by AlphaStyles(m): 8:52pm On Mar 05, 2017
bigx:
Going to Edinburgh and eating Indian food...
and farting for the next 2 days non stop
Now If I see "Indian food" for signboard sef fear de enter my bone
lol but d food sweet sha?
Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by olumydhe: 10:07pm On Aug 01, 2017
flakkylegend:
One funny thing I did was to go and collect my Professors bag like we do in Nigeria helping the elders carry their bags. the man probably thought I wanted to steal his bag or mayb I was crazy sef. Lol

funniest to me so far
Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by kissoflife: 11:43pm On Feb 13, 2018
Lol, I had a good laugh, let's keep this thread going!!!
Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by usebog: 10:22pm On Sep 07, 2018
Funny
Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by usebog: 10:23pm On Sep 07, 2018
Funny and educative
Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by Investorsci: 7:54am On Sep 08, 2018
Very funny
Haven't left 9ja yet.

I still dey hope one day I go ja comot for 9ja.
Re: Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad by Adapapaokoye: 10:56pm On Dec 25, 2018
Lol. I still take my time checking out those coins before paying. Also remembered the day I wore mini skirt go out late September, it was not funny

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

UAE Stops International Airlines From Boarding Nigerian Passengers To Dubai / Any Nigerian In Georgia? / Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.