Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,186 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

Letter To Nollywood - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Letter To Nollywood (14283 Views)

The Cure To Nollywood's Fallen Standard / How Nigerian Ladies React To Nollywood Movie(s) / Regina Askia, Please Come Back to Nollywood! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Letter To Nollywood by Ignatio(m): 8:40pm On Dec 22, 2013
VillageBoi:
Very well said @ bolded.
However, the OP didn't write this because he 'loves' Nollywood, he wrote it to take cheap shots like most other people. Afterall him claim ontop say na him sista dey watch am... obviously not him. wink

Hahaha... E go better sha.
Re: Letter To Nollywood by Nobody: 8:48pm On Dec 22, 2013
hw many time dis post go mk fp
Re: Letter To Nollywood by GHANAOGA: 8:51pm On Dec 22, 2013
Hollywood equally produces loads of craps each year..we only get to see the few good ones which are well marketed!
At most 20good movies each year....
Stop this inferiority complex sh*t
Go to rottentomatoes.com and see some of the poor ratings such hollywood movies have received.

3 Likes

Re: Letter To Nollywood by tosan200(m): 9:01pm On Dec 22, 2013
Nollywood is for Nigeria and if you look at Nigeria critically, you would see a problem which is rampant in all sectors of the economy. Just like Nollywood is crap so also every other sector in Nigeria is crap.
My sincere advice to this people is to be creative with their script and their acting. let's see some dedication , iT's not all about the money , this people should make movies which is educational and for the knowledgeable ones.

2 Likes

Re: Letter To Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 9:02pm On Dec 22, 2013
Ignatio:

Hahaha... E go better sha.

E go definitely better.

And just to repeat to people. YES OYINBO people also make very stu.pid films too - https://www.nairaland.com/1484699/very-silly-films-too-funny

If you don't want to click that thread these are the trailers - Watch and laff like mad wink wink wink

Avalanche Shark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sotQoOngYno

Shark Pool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri-UE0pEomA
Re: Letter To Nollywood by RedCard1(m): 9:04pm On Dec 22, 2013
I don't agree with parents not being much older than their kids in Nollywood films. Hollywood is the worst culprit in this regard, they don't cast women that are over 40 that much except perhaps they've attained super star stardom like Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Julia Roberts, Sally Field, Cate Blanchett and a few others. Watch 'Alexander' and you'll see Angelina Jolie looking almost same age with her son. Checkout the reigning 22years old Jennifer Lawrence as a mother. Most mothers in those Philippine and Mexican soap operas do look like their children's elder sisters. I agree that nollywood is a complete joke. I don't get why RMD can't stop forming young lover boy at his age and play someone's father. I had the misfortune of watching a nollywood movie titled 'MY PROPHECY' and I was like what's this? I almost wept for he cinematography, the picture quality was a hot mess, the story was poor not to talk of the bad acting from Oge Okoye and Yul Edochie. The only good directors in that industry are Tunde Kelani, Jeta Amata, Izu Ojukwu, Andy Amanechi, Mahmood Ali-Balogun, Tchidi Chikere and a handful of old ones.

2 Likes

Re: Letter To Nollywood by sholay2011(m): 9:09pm On Dec 22, 2013
^^^^ Bro...abeg leave my Jlaw out of this. Lol
Re: Letter To Nollywood by RedCard1(m): 9:20pm On Dec 22, 2013
Honestly, I'll rather watch a soft p0...rn Ghana movie that would get me in the mood than a Naija movie of same story of a King looking for a heir, two princes wanting to dethrone each other or a prince falling in love with a poor village girl. Mtchwwwww!
Re: Letter To Nollywood by RedCard1(m): 9:23pm On Dec 22, 2013
sholay2011: ^^^^ Bro...abeg leave my Jlaw out of this. Lol
lol. Na lie I talk? I like the babe sha but she no deserve Oscar for that her weak performance in Silver Linings Playbook.
Re: Letter To Nollywood by sholay2011(m): 9:27pm On Dec 22, 2013
Red_Card: lol. Na lie I talk? I like the babe sha but she no deserve Oscar for that her weak performance in Silver Linings Playbook.
I disagree. The oscar was very well deserved. Some ppl just couldn't see how terrific her performance was due to the comedic elements of the film...just like how some didn't notice how good the film was. She won almost all the major awards for that film...note that.

And yeah...she played a foul-mouthed mother in 'American Hustle'...that shud give her a third oscar nom considering the rave reviews she is receiving and already noms for Golden globe, SAG etc...all at age 23. Shez a supreme talent.
Re: Letter To Nollywood by Ohraybs(m): 9:49pm On Dec 22, 2013
sureteeboy: The ones u're talking about are already labelled as fantasy movies with fantasy plots. But, why should you watch a movie with no fantasy setting and end up seeing a herbalist in the movie to unravel a mystery that has been keeping the movie moving? It's totally out of it.
Guy,dunno wah to say bout you,buh wah I will simply say is,most of all d films dey produce oh,either hollywood,bollywood or Nollywood are the same,Go check Fast and furious 6 and u will see a big lies,and yet we derive joy in praisin dem,forgetin dat govt sponse den to do deirs while ours is being done with deir moni...Guy,we need to appreciate deir work.....
Re: Letter To Nollywood by Mayydayy(m): 9:51pm On Dec 22, 2013
Yomieluv: Over beaten topic, in other news,am not a sucker for Nollywood craps, i watch it whenever I want to sleep,i swear its a good anaesthetic,within five minutes,am gone to dream world.

Na true.nobi lie.any time wey sleep no gree catch me I go put nollywood video.na sleeping tablet b dat cheesy
Re: Letter To Nollywood by acadasol: 9:57pm On Dec 22, 2013
vickitor: The Nigerian movie industry, Nollywood, is trying but they are making some mistakes that are very glaring even to a child. They should understand that what is worth doing is worth doing well. I know they are hustling like every other Nigerian, but they should also understand that they are also representing our country. These mistakes can be avoided if a very creative director directs most of these movies. These are:

1. We are tired of seeing spirits wear wrist watches and chains. For goodness sake, this is the spirit world you are trying portray, why are you guys still backward in movie directing? We should know that little things counts. Spirits should also stop rubbing powder on their faces and stop wearing cele overalls.

2. Please, if you guys intend to subtitle your movies, please subtitle it with good english and try to edit them if possible. We are tired of seeing sentences like "where did you carry all these pregnant?" For pete's sake, if you can't edit your movies, call people to edit them for you.

3. We are tired of seeing 30+ men and women acting secondary school children. If my classmates were that sexy in secondary school, I know my teachers would have slept them all. Moreso, please make it obvious that parents are older than their kids in your movies. How will clem Ohameze be the father of Jim Iyke... Ahan, in real life clem should not be older than Jim with not more than 10years.

4. Please and Please, our witches do not behave like imbeciles. How will a witch grow long fingers and very bad dentition in the midnight and the morning the same witch has the sweetest smile on earth. Don't make it look all girls with bad dentition are witches.

5. These days all your movies are Royal this... Royal that. Last week, my sister bought 6 Nollywood movies, Royal love, tears on the throne, igwe must hear this, etc. 70% of Nollywood movies are about royal stuffs, WTH. I know Nigerians don't even give a f**k about royalties. So why act it as if its our major problem.

6. We need creative directors in our movies. How will a thief drop his ID card in a robbery site in real life? Why will an actor wear double clothes because he is going to use the inner clothe for the next scene, please reason these things directors. Movies should not be about love alone but other fantastic stories. Oduah's case is there, write and act good movies please.

7. Sometimes, I don't know what some casts are doing in a movie. They are neither a part of the cause, part of the solution nor a waka-pass. They are just there doing "uhummm", "mtcheewwww", "nonsense", "**clapping their hands**". There are some scenes that are unnecessary too, why will a scene be just: tonto dike bathing, someone mistakenly see the igwe and run, etc. Very unnecessary.

PS: We know you don't have enough money to produce and direct the kind of movies in Hollywood but you can as well use the little you have and with talented actors to produce a decent movie.

From Concerned Nigerian

While some of the things the Poster said may be true, he himself turned out to be the opposite of a quintessential Critic he appeared to be. I am not a member of the Nollywood neither do I have a family member there. I just think any Critic should come out perfect. OP complained about the English usage in Nollywood. Whereas, his own use of English is bad. His writing lacked appropriate mechanics of English and many errors with syntax. Overall, his write-up is not in concordance with facilities of English writing. I stand to be corrected.
Re: Letter To Nollywood by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 22, 2013
c0llynz02: Baseless and useless criticisms doesn't make anyone better.
Do you even know what the word baseless means?

Nollywood productions are mostly bull spit and i've stopped seeing their movies for long. They must improve the rubbish they are always churning out. We should put a and b list Hollywood movies aside and work with c list movies with under $10m budgets to see the story lines. No special effects and no nothing, just powerful stories. I so much respect Tunde Kelani, his movies are just different unlike the rubbish people like ugezu ugezu, chidi chikere, Lancelot oduwa and the others in their league produce and direct.

Well no one with liquidity has decided to invest in nollywood like mukesh ambani has done for bollywood through reliance production.

Silence to the spit production going on in nollywood is a sign of acceptance. Some of us do not accept, as a matter of fact we protest.

Directors should learn to scrutinise and accept only good scripts, the funny thing with people who love nollywood as it is, is low comprehension-die hard nollywood fans can't follow a Hollywood movie. They just want a movie with the plot of the story used as soundtrack and the blatant exposure of the whole plot while the movie is still in the first 15 mins. For some of us it doesn't cut it.

We are tired of movies that prevent us from thinking.

I want to watch a movie that I'm trying to figure the plot until it ends and if I'm not lucky, I might have to see it twice.

I want to see comedy without insults or a thunderstorm of abuses.

I'm tired of seeing aki and paw acting as adults and children.

I want to see a movie with thought provoking stories and sending subliminal messages.

I want to see actors and actresses that can speak simple and correct english, I do not care the nigerian accent in which it is spoken not the other way round, for goodness sake I can't even tell if their accents are British or American or hybrid with all the wrong sentences they make.

I'm tired of seeing boom mics and in some cases the cameraman's reflection in the mirror or the director shouting loud enough for me to hear him in the background

I'm tired of a 2 hour movie split into 3 22 mins parts...haba na!

The list goes on and on, yes we do see you nollywood and you should improve your ways.

Why can't non nigerian fans in Germany, France, Brazil, China and the rest of the world wait in anticipation for the screening of a new nollywood movie.

I GIVE UP!

4 Likes

Re: Letter To Nollywood by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:56pm On Dec 22, 2013
Also stop portraying our traditional priests as evil and witches.
Re: Letter To Nollywood by revolt(m): 11:04pm On Dec 22, 2013
op is dull if all he saw was costuming and story line.
films shots in 19th century by oyibo, still have better picture quality than what nollywood is shooting now. let the movies even look good, picture quality wise sef, before we start talking of casting and story line.
even amateur viral sex videos recorded with phones seem better than our movies.
we must be jokers when the western world sees our movies.

1 Like

Re: Letter To Nollywood by Nobody: 11:36pm On Dec 22, 2013
MUMU
Re: Letter To Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 11:38pm On Dec 22, 2013
Ohraybs:
Guy,dunno wah to say bout you,buh wah I will simply say is,most of all d films dey produce oh,either hollywood,bollywood or Nollywood are the same,Go check Fast and furious 6 and u will see a big lies,and yet we derive joy in praisin dem,forgetin dat govt sponse den to do deirs while ours is being done with deir moni...Guy,we need to appreciate deir work.....
Dude, how you come here dey talk rubbish? Since when has the US Govt sponsored Hollywood films? Na wa for people o!

3 Likes

Re: Letter To Nollywood by Nobody: 11:47pm On Dec 22, 2013
Swiftlee: I am tired of you guys complaining about Nollywood! If it sucks go and watch the one's that does'nt suck!! Who is forcing you to watch the home videos?? See.. :-/ am tired of all this repetitions about nollywood this bollywood that!! See, nobody should qoute me to say rubbish ooo!
Re: Letter To Nollywood by Mohammedekete: 12:26am On Dec 23, 2013
u be onuku o o.
homesteady: Mtcheew! For your mind now you be critic? undecided mtcheew! What is stopping you from going to produce your own film?
Re: Letter To Nollywood by queenta1(f): 1:01am On Dec 23, 2013
Hmm...nija is rili tryin buh,am so dissapointd in dem.they are not specific in terms of d title of a particular movie,this one wil be "tears of an orphan"and d continuation will come wif a different name entirely,leaving people in a state of confusion.Haba it sucks.
Re: Letter To Nollywood by lohresloco: 2:26am On Dec 23, 2013
In nollywood, we do not have actors and actresses who actually portray their characters, what we have here in this country are GLORIFIED SCRIPT READERS. Thats that.
Re: Letter To Nollywood by Nobody: 2:30am On Dec 23, 2013
angryHmm really? Ok oo but instead of wasting ur mb why don't u send an official letter to nollywood or something? Mxm na wa oo I mean I understand where ur coming from but I don't think nollywood ppl will see this letter on nairaland. Try and put it in a newspaper or an official letter u hear? Goodluck grin
Re: Letter To Nollywood by Originalsly: 5:20am On Dec 23, 2013
Constructive criticism should lead to improvement. Except for a few, Nollywood film makers are deaf to criticism and take it as an insult....their way or the highway. Finance is an issue but as we can see...movies from 10 years ago were of way lower budgets, way inferior visuals and sound quality but yet were selling like hot cakes worldwide. Why? Nollywood dropped the ball...and their audience except for the hardcore ones. I would say there is now a new Nollywood....the movie making Nollywood...movies to be shown in cinemas. So far so good...more professional....way less mediocrity but always room for improvement. They need our support.
Re: Letter To Nollywood by Nehemiah459(m): 7:26am On Dec 23, 2013
Shout out to Merlin that You don't see blood on Authurs knife after he stabs someone. (Not only Authur, its em all).
Merlin wore one clothe throughout the whole seasons. Hmmmmm!!!
Re: Letter To Nollywood by DonMekino(m): 7:40am On Dec 23, 2013
Truth be told, if we are supporting nollywood lets do it on the basis dat its our own not on the basis of movie quality. some u lambastin the OP should knw dat movie acts are fake but ur ability to convince d audience dat it is real is wat matters a lot...then take tym and write d scripts of the movie and developed it .....Do u knw dat Schwazzneger and Van dammed even wit Johnny Depp btw them dnt have a combined 200 movies but only one popular nollywood actor eg Kosoko has more.....because he can do five movies in one month...lets take our tym dat we are Nigerians doesn't mean we take craps just to identify wit our thing. moreover computers are available for better screen play and visual effects. ppl who love watching only nollywood are only interested in story....I also learn words,lyrics nd use of diction when I watch hollywood ...lets be more realistic n avoid sentiments.
Re: Letter To Nollywood by kennypoka2(m): 7:42am On Dec 23, 2013
Red_Card: I don't agree with parents not being much older than their kids in Nollywood films. Hollywood is the worst culprit in this regard, they don't cast women that are over 40 that much except perhaps they've attained super star stardom like Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Julia Roberts, Sally Field, Cate Blanchett and a few others. Watch 'Alexander' and you'll see Angelina Jolie looking almost same age with her son. Checkout the reigning 22years old Jennifer Lawrence as a mother. Most mothers in those Philippine and Mexican soap operas do look like their children's elder sisters. I agree that nollywood is a complete joke. I don't get why RMD can't stop forming young lover boy at his age and play someone's father. I had the misfortune of watching a nollywood movie titled 'MY PROPHECY' and I was like what's this? I almost wept for he cinematography, the picture quality was a hot mess, the story was poor not to talk of the bad acting from Oge Okoye and Yul Edochie. The only good directors in that industry are Tunde Kelani, Jeta Amata, Izu Ojukwu, Andy Amanechi, Mahmood Ali-Balogun, Tchidi Chikere and a handful of old ones.
common always put kunle afolayan.. he is d best youngest director now with only three quality films to his credit. irapada, figurine and phone swap. go watch the three movies. he is coming up with anoda one soon.. October 1. watch out
Re: Letter To Nollywood by Janetozi(f): 7:49am On Dec 23, 2013
[i][/i]Tell the nonsensewood
Re: Letter To Nollywood by ketoprofen(m): 7:49am On Dec 23, 2013
Igbo spoken movies are back in large quantities again.
Grab ur copies now and thank me later.
Re: Letter To Nollywood by Wislet(f): 8:10am On Dec 23, 2013
homesteady: Mtcheew! For your mind now you be critic? undecided mtcheew!
What is stopping you from going to produce your own film?
who is this person??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Day They Came (A Short Sci-fi Film) / Top 10 Real-life Wrestling Couples / Kunle Afolayan's Trailer for 'October 1' Movie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.