Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,523 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? (10971 Views)

MTN, Etisalat And Glo: How They Pay Their Workers - www.NigerianBulletin.com / See How Most Nigerian Workers Survive Monthly (photo) / How Germans Abuse Nigerian Workers, On Nigerian Soil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by infonubia(m): 11:56pm On Dec 26, 2013
Before I continue with this post, please note that I'm not an expert on labor laws. I'm just a concerned citizen who is writing in response to recent revelations about the maltreatment some Nigerian workers face at their workplaces. Thank you!

The story of Alice Ossai, the 7-month pregnant cleaning unit supervisor at a packaging company in Lagos, who was beaten up by her Lebanese shift manager to point where she lost her pregnancy (read the story here), really got me wondering if we have labor laws in Nigeria and how such laws protect the workers.

I can't fathom why a supervisor would even engage in verbal assault on a subordinate, talk more of a physical assault. I believe its a result of blatant disregard for the law. That feeling of Nigeria is a country where you can get away with offenses with grave consequences, it all depends on who you know.

Some of these employers don't even know that there are labor laws that could potentially put them out of business if violated. I did a quick Google search and I found the Nigerian Labor Act of 1990.

Since it has been established that we do have have labor laws, the issue herein lies in the implementation and review of such laws to ensure that workers aren't maltreated like Alice and several others whose cases have gone unnoticed.

All workers should feel safe - both physically and emotionally - in their work environment. Unfortunately, this isn't really the case for most people. The people in authority at some workplaces have made themselves demi-gods and principalities. They verbally abuse their subordinates day in day out. Some work places place unrealistic expectations on their employees and still expect them to perform at the highest levels.

This issue transcends just the corporate work environment. How about in our homes? For folks who have housemaids, how do you treat them? There's been several stories about the level of brutality and maltreatment that some housemaids experience. I believe they should be protected by the law as well.

All form of harassment at the workplace should be addressed and violators should have to face the consequence.

I'm not sure if there is, but we need a regulatory board that monitors labor activities. Some kind of occupational safety administration where workers can lodge complaints of unfair practices at work. The board should also be empowered to enforce our labor laws.

The president shouldn't have to intervene like he did in the case of Mrs. Ossai because like someone rightly said, if the president keeps intervening in every one of such cases, then he may never have time for anything else.

I hope Mrs. Ossai gets justice soon and labor laws are enforced and respected.

Source

3 Likes

Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by infonubia(m): 8:47am On Dec 27, 2013
I'm not sure if this post belongs here or in the career section.
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by Peinstein: 8:53am On Dec 27, 2013
I am not too versed on our labor laws either but implementation has always been our problem. I once used a part of the law to enforce a leave some years ago and my italian boss had to comply when he confirmed it; however most people do not know the law exists and so do not know their rights.
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by infonubia(m): 9:29am On Dec 27, 2013
Peinstein: I am not too versed on our labor laws either but implementation has always been our problem. I once used a part of the law to enforce a leave some years ago and my italian boss had to comply when he confirmed it; however most people do not know the law exists and so do not know their rights.
You are spot on! Imagine, you had to educate ur boss on the law. That means you could have sued ur employer if they violated the law. Organizations need to understand these laws to protect themselves and their employees.
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by Tsmooth1(m): 10:27am On Dec 27, 2013
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by Burnaaboi(m): 10:27am On Dec 27, 2013
i dont tink so
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by trigar12(m): 10:28am On Dec 27, 2013
mtweeeeh

Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by Nobody: 10:28am On Dec 27, 2013
Laws are there on papers,not functional because of weak,inefficient,and corrupt system.
Nigeria has one of the best laws on earth,but they are very effective only on papers.

3 Likes

Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by okechukwu3: 10:29am On Dec 27, 2013
Interesting revelation
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by bebe2(f): 10:40am On Dec 27, 2013
Wat labour laws??

1 Like

Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by Sunymoore(m): 10:41am On Dec 27, 2013
inhnn. where is sexkillz
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by auskenfine(m): 10:41am On Dec 27, 2013
Naija get law? Even if we do, who keeps them?
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by KingDerailer: 11:00am On Dec 27, 2013
Labour pls, not Labor. undecided
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by aieromon(m): 11:02am On Dec 27, 2013
It makes for good reading but implementation will always be an issue.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/LabourAct.htm
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by budusky05(m): 11:05am On Dec 27, 2013
Do nigerians alow labor unions in there firms
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by Freiburger(m): 11:12am On Dec 27, 2013
bebe2: Wat labour laws??
Ok. Question should be, do most Nigerians know about their rights when it comes to contract of employment?
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by pheesayor(m): 11:15am On Dec 27, 2013
There are laws, and mostly lawyers know this. Also, the suffering and smiling mentality of employees is a factor here. We need to do the right things.
I almost sued me former employer for refusing to money deducted from my salary while working(miraculously I was later paid) during my interaction with a lawyer I was told that even employing someone without an employment letter after 3 months is an offense. We need to be enlightened on the law, it will do us lots of good
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by rodeo0070(m): 11:33am On Dec 27, 2013
Yes,we do have labour laws but full implementation is the issue. Labour unions are already "bought." They constitute the larger part of the problem. The workers too need to be enlightened...
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by zimzoom: 11:37am On Dec 27, 2013
Is it not a shame that it took the president of the most populous lack country in the world of over 160 million people to intervene to get to the root a matter ordinarily a citizens arrest not to talk of law enforcement agencies existing to protect its citizens. police,sss,armed forces .boys scout and even the opc fold their arms and allow a Lebanese treat a Nigerian like an animal.This is 2013 and the actual act itself reminds me of scenes in thr movie roots how fellow black people watch as their brother is being flogged> while this was going on what did her co workers do to protect her except fold their arms and watch?
What has the DPO and the investigating police officer of Area F in Ikeja have to say for themselves? where are all the lawyers in Nigeria? where are our institutions of justice delivery? where are all the human rights activist? where are our senators and house of rep members who cant wake up to pass laws to protect the employer?
When would our labour leaders stop taking bribes from foreign companies to the detriment of its own people? Stop slavery in Nigeria in 2013.
I wait to see that Lebanese clown taken before a court of law to stand trial for murder and aggravated assault
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by gabriel212: 11:41am On Dec 27, 2013
My brother there are laws that govern the workers. but, they are voilated by the so called employer( Lebanese, Indians) because they can get away with any offences as long as the case will get to the NLC / POLICE. All they know is to decieved with noise and strike
Imagine a company name witheld deducting union dues from it staff salary yet, there are no union. in fact, the labor leaders are aware of 70% of the maltreatments but immediately they are offered token change or products( as they use to do), they keep mute and encourage you to continue work. In addition, an Indian man beat up a staff in one company here in lagos and the case was wave off.
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by Iceman296: 11:42am On Dec 27, 2013
My Stake Here is that the Money Paid to Nigerians are quite Paltry, Especially Korean, Chinese and Lebanese Owned Companies. They also Need to Look into this!
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by marvelcaps231: 12:27pm On Dec 27, 2013
Op u dy alwys dy funny with your questions o,for naija wen we dy na u dy ask dis kind question abi? Abeg leav mata 44 mataya,1st 2 comet o
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by eluquenson(m): 12:34pm On Dec 27, 2013
Nigeria is already a failed nation which our foreign expatriates know, no implementation of law, when you check Nigeria constitution, its as big as Jamb syllabus but our so called govt are busy sharing & fighting for oil money.
So sad for a poor woman like alice to be mal treated that way
We need to take laws into our hand undecided
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 27, 2013
KingDerailer: Labour pls, not Labor. undecided

Please, kindly educate us on the difference between Labour and Labor, apart from the fact that one is the preffered spelling in US while the other one is British spelling!!!

@topic, the laws are there, they are just not implemented like others have said. There are sufficient laws to ensure that Nigerian workers' rights are protected, we have the Employee Compensation Act(2010) that covers employee's right, compensation and all, and series of ILO stuff. Unfortunately, even when you know your right as an employee, the law that is supposed to protect you might be used to punish you!

Take for instance the Sept. 2002 inferno at a Chinese factory where some workers were said to have been locked in the factory and couldn't escape the fire... Though it was denied, but it is possible in naija. Corruption everywhere! Employers in Nigeria, both local and foreigners are aware of this weakness and they don't hesitate to wield undue powers.
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by xtervaganza(m): 1:25pm On Dec 27, 2013
Labor law? I this country where 24year old Lebanese act like kings here and treat Nigerians like trash here?

Our govt officials are corrupt. There is no labor law here that is effective. Imagine I know guys who work 12 damn hours, 12 hours everyday!
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by meforyou1(m): 1:35pm On Dec 27, 2013
A friend of mine took 2 year leave of absence to join her husband in UK, who was a military attaché.
Just for her to come back, our office refused to take her saying no vacancy. It took a lot law quoting and pleading and begging before they took her back. Pls what does the labour law say on leave of absence?
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by KingDerailer: 1:44pm On Dec 27, 2013
[quote author=candy]

Please, kindly educate us on the difference between Labour and Labor, apart from the fact that one is the preffered spelling in US while the other one is British spelling!!!/quote] Since we have decided to speak English as spoken like the Brits, then its only proper we "copy" well.
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by Milito: 1:46pm On Dec 27, 2013
infonubia:

Since it has been established that we do have labor laws, the issue herein lies in the implementation and review of such laws to ensure that workers aren't maltreated like Alice and several others whose cases have gone unnoticed.

All workers should feel safe - both physically and emotionally - in their work environment.

I'm not sure if there is, but we need a regulatory board that monitors labor activities. Some kind of occupational safety administration where workers can lodge complaints of unfair practices at work. The board should also be empowered to enforce our labor laws.

The president shouldn't have to intervene like he did in the case of Mrs. Ossai because like someone rightly said, if the president keeps intervening in every one of such cases, then he may never have time for anything else.

Source[/quote

[quote author=zimzoom]Is it not a shame that it took the president of the most populous lack country in the world of over 160 million people to intervene to get to the root a matter ordinarily a citizens arrest not to talk of law enforcement agencies existing to protect its citizens.

where are our senators and house of rep members who cant wake up to pass laws to protect the employer?
(I'm assuming u meant employees)

The National Assembly has passed the Occupational Safety & Health Bill.

It has been awaiting presidential assent for ages. I don't just understand why President Jonathan is delaying assent to this important bill.

http://www.punchng.com/news/breach-labour-safety-law-go-to-prison-senate/

(Punch of 28th Sept 2012 on the passage of Occupational safety & health bill)

http://www.punchng.com/news/reps-move-to-override-jonathans-veto-on-bills-2/

(Punch report of November 8, 2013 stating that there are 36 bills that President Jonathan neither assented nor 'withold his assent' in line wt the constitution).

Now as someone rightly put it, the President will tire himself out if he goes about ordering investigation into cases tht a working system automatically is supposed to take care of.

The country urgently needs this Occupational safety & health law to protect workers. Lots of workers re having their hands chopped off in all these Chinese & Lebanese companies without proper compensation. Others are getting killed & serious cover ups happen thereafter.
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by bluejeff(m): 1:47pm On Dec 27, 2013
There are Labour Laws in Nigeria, its just the populace who are not aware of them or choose to ignore them. The average Nigerian would rather "leave it to God" than enforce their rights in a court of Law. The following Laws exist...
Labour Act 1974
Trade Unions Act 1973
Trade disputes Act 1976
Factories Act 1987
Workmen's Compensation Act of 1987
Though these enactments seems out-dated and thus needs amendment, the fact still remains there are Laws.
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by omartins(m): 1:55pm On Dec 27, 2013
KingDerailer: Labour pls, not Labor. undecided
Prof. both mean the same thing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Career Crisis - What Do I Do / Lagos Police Dismiss 9 Police Officers & Demotes 25 Over Corruption / 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.