Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,610 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:16 AM

Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? (10970 Views)

MTN, Etisalat And Glo: How They Pay Their Workers - www.NigerianBulletin.com / See How Most Nigerian Workers Survive Monthly (photo) / How Germans Abuse Nigerian Workers, On Nigerian Soil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by Majoo: 2:18pm On Dec 27, 2013
thus this company is Dangote Company Plc no labour and they the indian people maltreated the nigeria people working there nigerian are slave in thier fatherland to the indians
rodeo0070: Yes,we do have labour laws but full implementation is the issue. Labour unions are already "bought." They constitute the larger part of the problem. The workers too need to be enlightened...
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by Okijajuju1(m): 2:18pm On Dec 27, 2013
Nigerian Labor laws..

The Nigerian labor laws are there and serve to protect The interest of all Nigerian workers.. Both their welfare and their safety at work. However, only the big multi-national companies apply these laws to their employees and only a few Nigerian companies that work for these big multi-national companies apply these laws because of the compliance policies of the big companies they work for.

Note, the Nigerian labor laws covers all workers that work for wages in Nigeria. So even your housemaids are also protected by these laws. But like it is with everything in Nigeria, the law is blatantly ignored. Reason for this being;

1. The government is not interested in enforcing these laws but rather collecting taxes and levies from the employers.

2. The ignorance of the Nigerian workers to their rights as employees under the law.

3. High levels of illiteracy

4. Lack of jobs (desperation).

It was not up until I started working in 2011 that I realized that there were statutory benefits that my employer was obligated under the law to provide to me as a worker. Now for some of you out there who are oblivious to these benefits and rights, let me list out some of them to you;

1. All workers under the Nigerian Labor law must be paid wages not less than the applicable minimum wage in place as at that time.

2. All workers must be provided with a pension. The pension is paid by both employer and employee which is 7.5% of the employees salary and the employer will also match that same amount bringing the total to 15% of the employees salary. This is paid into a pension fund of the employees choice. The worker pays 7.5% from his salary and the employer matches that 7.5% from his own pocket.

3. All workers much be provided with WORKMANS COMPENSATION INSURANCE. This is a must and serves to protect the worker in case of an accident that occurs whilst at work.

4. All employers must provide their employees with all necessary safety equipment and training as to enable the worker perform the work safely.

5. All Workers must be provided with a paid leave period in every 12 calendar year.

6. All female workers are entitled to a paid maternity leave. I can't remember the duration nor application of this laws, but it is there. And should circumstances show that she needs to stay beyond the period of her paid vacation, the employer must allow her ample time to recover and get back to work.

7. All employers must provide health coverage for their employees.

And a whole lot more. It covers employer providing a baby friendly environment for nursing mothers at work, etc.. I will search for the updated version of this law and paste it..

However, the ignorance that abounds in our society has allowed employers of labor to disregard this law with impunity and maltreat their employees.
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by infonubia(m): 2:56pm On Dec 27, 2013
KingDerailer: Labour pls, not Labor. undecided
Dude labor is correct as well. It just depends on what part of the world you are. Labour - British English, Labor - American English shikena!
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 27, 2013
We have labour laws. But labour leaders are too corrupt to fight against maltreatment of workers.
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by infonubia(m): 4:28pm On Dec 27, 2013
Laalamed: We have labour laws. But labour leaders are too corrupt to fight against maltreatment of workers.
I'm glad the internet is revolutionizing governance in Nigeria. When we continue to share such stories and demand actions from our leaders, somebody somewhere will listen and take action.
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by klassic(m): 5:26pm On Dec 27, 2013
How many of you will take out time to brief your lawyer and ascertain your position, know your right and privileges before they are breached,when they are being breached or when they have been breached.Even when you have a lawyer willing to help pro bono , you still prefer to cry in silence. Yes,justice may take time. tell ur lawyer. if you don't have one tell me. I will help.let's collectively do this fight and educate ourselves on our rigth. They can't try this else where, do you know why? Because over there , they are well abreast of their rights and privildges.
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by strongboi(m): 6:04pm On Dec 27, 2013
Hmmm! If you are working or have worked in a small scale/growing private establishments then you might probably be asking yourself whether the law exists or not. If we say it exists, then its a "toothless bulldog". If you ever experienced the way most of these so called employers treat their employee, you will feel so sorry for them. Is it to talk of the pay (which is ridiculous) or the extended working hours and heavy workload. The worst part of it is that most graduates know the law exists but don't even know the contents- we don't know our rights. Most of us because there is no job, we keep suffering and smiling and we can't even discuss the hell we are facing in the hands of these wicked employees who are taking advantage of us. When I say employees, I mean both the indigenous and the so called foreigners too. To me, I think we should all find a way to educate ourselves on the contents of the law/Acts because its getting worse day by day.
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by bobeefc(f): 8:24pm On Dec 27, 2013
trigar12: mtweeeeh
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by Sircj(m): 9:55pm On Dec 27, 2013
klassic: How many of you will take out time to brief your lawyer and ascertain your position, know your right and privileges before they are breached,when they are being breached or when they have been breached.Even when you have a lawyer willing to help pro bono , you still prefer to cry in silence. Yes,justice may take time. tell ur lawyer. if you don't have one tell me. I will help.let's collectively do this fight and educate ourselves on our rigth. They can't try this else where, do you know why? Because over there , they are well abreast of their rights and privildges.

thanks for your concern. i did create a thread cos of same labaness excesses but i did not get enough respond cos am not expert on legal matter.
this is d link to my thread https://www.nairaland.com/1556091/one-sue-employer-been-relunctant and there some oda atrocities from dis same lebaness. pls i need ur advice to no where to start.
i av sent u pm.
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Dec 27, 2013
Because Nigerians fail to report maltreatment. Do you expect Labour officials to be touring homes and monitoring how househelps are treated? Or they should be touring Nigerian Offices everyday? undecided undecided undecided undecided If your boss is maltreating and you are so ignorant about your rights and what you should do about it.....that is your palava!
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by klassic(m): 1:18am On Dec 28, 2013
I will open a new topic, wherein you can drop your legal issues or other matters incidental thereto bordering you, be it Labour related matters, Breach of Fundamental Human Right n matters related thereto regarding your FHR,Divorce matters, breach of promise to marriage, contractual matters , land n land related matters ,etc. And as a lawyer, in conjunction with my friends and other lawyers in the house, we will try n educate our selves on Laws n principles governing various issues n the way forward. Or if
you feel there is a need to do this in private, I could create a blackberry group or whats app group so we discuss ur issues privately as there maybe some private issues you may not wanna make public.

1 Like

Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by adelegan123: 12:41pm On Jan 02, 2014
I AGREE WITH THE FACT THAT THERE IS NO LABOUR LAW IN NIGERIA.EVERYBODY DOES WHAT HE LIKES AND GET AWAY WITH IT.I ONCE WORKED IN A WELL KNOWN CHURCH THAT DOES NOT HAVE ANY REGARD FOR LABOUR LAWS.THEY HIRE AND SACK STAFF AS THEY LIKE.THEY EVEN FORCEFULLY CONVERT THERE STAFF TO CASUAL WORKERS AND GIVE PEANUTS AS SALARY.EVEN THE WORST PEOPLE IN GOVERMENT WILL NOT SACK OR GIVE THEIR STAFF INHUMAN TREATMENT ITS REALLY UNFORTUNATE
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by infonubia(m): 4:43pm On Jan 02, 2014
adelegan123: I AGREE WITH THE FACT THAT THERE IS NO LABOUR LAW IN NIGERIA.EVERYBODY DOES WHAT HE LIKES AND GET AWAY WITH IT.I ONCE WORKED IN A WELL KNOWN CHURCH THAT DOES NOT HAVE ANY REGARD FOR LABOUR LAWS.THEY HIRE AND SACK STAFF AS THEY LIKE.THEY EVEN FORCEFULLY CONVERT THERE STAFF TO CASUAL WORKERS AND GIVE PEANUTS AS SALARY.EVEN THE WORST PEOPLE IN GOVERMENT WILL NOT SACK OR GIVE THEIR STAFF INHUMAN TREATMENT ITS REALLY UNFORTUNATE

Let's hope that will begin to change this year. Nigerian workers need to demand a change in such treatment.
Re: Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? by Nobody: 11:21am On Nov 06, 2014
klassic:
How many of you will take out time to brief your lawyer and ascertain your position, know your right and privileges before they are breached,when they are being breached or when they have been breached.Even when you have a lawyer willing to help pro bono , you still prefer to cry in silence. Yes,justice may take time. tell ur lawyer. if you don't have one tell me. I will help.let's collectively do this fight and educate ourselves on our rigth. They can't try this else where, do you know why? Because over there , they are well abreast of their rights and privildges.
I have said it time without number, and shall continue to reiterate, it is easier to come out, point fingers and castigate, institutions and persons, but like I'll always say, we should take it a step further and get involved in the more tasking path of looking for solutions to our problems. We re Nigerians I believe we love our country, nobody will make this country good, except for us, nobody will make it a suitable tourist en lave except for us... let us look for solutions to our problems. And like I'll always say, HE THAT BRINGS A MESSAGE WITH OUT A SOLUTION IS ONLY AN AGENT OF DISCORD.

Bro karmic, I'm trying to build up a formidable force, an institution that will be fighting against, labour exploitation and blatant abuse of our labour act.. I can't do it alone, I need hand, help and affiliates.. I'm trying to work with labour unions and NECA. I'll need lawyers.. as members also... If u interested , pls contact me.. thank you.

Collective efforts build an army...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Career Crisis - What Do I Do / Lagos Police Dismiss 9 Police Officers & Demotes 25 Over Corruption / 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.