Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,026 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:52 PM

Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies (32701 Views)

Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom / Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. / United Kingdom To Deport Nigerians On 24th March 2015 With A Chartered Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Sezua(m): 1:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
#clears throat
pictures of u doing research for d or
it didn't happen

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by OYINBOGOJU(m): 1:16pm On Dec 30, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

Why shouldn't he think about it? Are you his Oga or something ? Relax

Though staying in the UK without papers is not ideal, however, you have to weigh your options. If you can go to school in the UK go ahead and do it and deal with the rest later.

This come from desperado.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by paranorman(m): 1:16pm On Dec 30, 2013
Wel, if u can get a good and decent job to cater for ur needs, bills and heavy taxes, after studies, why not? But if you'v got a strong network to get you a good job here in Nigeria, den come home.. You'd save more here.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by pekelepekele(m): 1:17pm On Dec 30, 2013
Study first! . One step at a time.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by ezehr(m): 1:20pm On Dec 30, 2013
This post has really been educative and informative. I'm in a similar situation like the OP. From the comments so far, i'm turning my radar away from UK schools to focus on Canada, USA and Australia.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Nobody: 1:23pm On Dec 30, 2013
Ugosample: Hello house, please i need your opinion on this issue, especially those settled there already. I'm an undergraduate student due to graduate SOON. ASUU strike has disorganised things but we have to keep moving... I've been shopping for schools in the UK, picked one, analysed the fees and i, with the support of my family are raising funds for a post graduate degree in finance. Things are going fine with respect to raising the funds. But to be honest, i intend settling in the Uk after my studies and starting a new life there. Please house. Is this advisable? What are the potential challenges i may face be it immigration, money or unemployment problems? Please i need your opinion. Thank you.
I am not sure what the Immigration landscape is in the UK at the moment but i hear it is tough. So check it first. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO STAY ILLEGALLY IN THE UK.
Assuming you can clear immigration huddle. You can get a good job depending what your discipline is. Also, depends on your life long ambition, assuming you have a long term plan to go into business, you can get a good job, save some money, and build some good relationships meet people that you may not be able to meet while in Nigeria.
Ignore those that think you cant get a good job as a black person. They have no idea. So many Nigerians have top 6 figure jobs in London. it may be tough but you will once you start and work your way up with the right attitude. I only know two categories of people that relocate to Nigeria: Young people that dont have a good job or old people that have political/senior appointment.
Another thing to note is be careful who you associate with in the UK. If you come here and hand out with riff-raff Nigerians in Peckam or elsewhere, you will not be different from them.

All the best

11 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by cap28: 1:25pm On Dec 30, 2013
Don't even think about it, you will end up regretting it.

Young white british graduates are finding it very difficult to get jobs talk less of black immigrants - also theres a lot of hostility being shown towards immigrants, particularly non white immigrants by the indigenous people because of the current state of the british economy.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by lalaboi(m): 1:30pm On Dec 30, 2013
The UK Government does not want you. Why do you want to go to a place that will frustrate your being.

Take the advice of those that mentioned US or Canada. . or better still. Bring that Masters Degree back home.
Good Luck
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by john650(m): 1:53pm On Dec 30, 2013
claremont: I wouldn't advice any international student to come to the UK at the moment, especially those who have plans to settle here. This is because of the current hostile immigration climate. You would be better off going to places like Canada, USA, or Australia where they have a much more friendly immigration policies.

Who told you the USA has a more friendly immigration policy? Go ask the unofficial 11 million or so illegal immigrants residing in the USA, whose chances of ever getting a permanent residency is as good as finding a needle in a haystack. I forgot to mentiion that the USA removes about half a million people every year who have no papers to reside in the country. And there are countless of others held in detention facilities awaiting deportation. And if you happen to scale all these, pervacive racial discrimination awaits you in the workplace.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Ugosample(m): 1:56pm On Dec 30, 2013
Thank you very much for your responses, i guess the United Kingdom is a no go area them. I am currently shopping for schools in North America and to be sincere, settling in Nigeria is not part of my plans, what i want to achieve cannot be done here. Sad but true, that said, thank you all once again. The route to Canada is less complex as i have seen, due to the skills gap, and i will consider that option too. God bless.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by grandstar(m): 1:56pm On Dec 30, 2013
Go only to canada and australia. Canada offers you 3years stay after your masters for you to gain experience and the pay is juicy but it can get very cold. Australia too is great and the weather is cool also. Forget the USA. My 2cents.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by IbrahimB: 2:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
Sarcoc: Like most things in life you will only be fully convinced once you ve tried it and not before. I have lived in the UK for near 15 years and have met various people in that time.

My advise - stay steady in Nigeria and you are by far better off. If you and your family can raise £9-15k for your tuition I will strongly suggest that you invest it in a good business. If u are not an entrepreneur get a good job invest then money in say land for instance and you will be onto a winner.

I ve advised a few ppl to go this way but they all end up in the Uk weeks later. I suspect you will do same too but you will surely remember reading this down the line.

Just to portress my point further, I am relocating back to Nigeria next year by God's grace. Oh just to add I am a full UK citizen by birth but still feel this way and can tell you that it is worse for none citizens.

Wole Soyinka won't be happy to see this sad

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by cosmatoz(m): 2:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
Well my candid advice, i came to the UK for my masters 2012 september, well JUSTWISE should remember me cos i asked lots of question smiley. I was told getting a job is next to impossible by my mates over here, but that did not stop me from applying. I have a job now with good pay in an international firm. So my opinion would be if it is what you want then do it with God all things are possible. The guys that said its impossible they never got the job. And o am a blackman

18 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Ibime(m): 2:19pm On Dec 30, 2013
Ugosample: Hello house, please i need your opinion on this issue, especially those settled there already. I'm an undergraduate student due to graduate SOON. ASUU strike has disorganised things but we have to keep moving... I've been shopping for schools in the UK, picked one, analysed the fees and i, with the support of my family are raising funds for a post graduate degree in finance. Things are going fine with respect to raising the funds. But to be honest, i intend settling in the Uk after my studies and starting a new life there. Please house. Is this advisable? What are the potential challenges i may face be it immigration, money or unemployment problems? Please i need your opinion. Thank you.

Go study in Scotland. They give you one year visa after your studies there

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by marylandcakes: 2:22pm On Dec 30, 2013
lillies:

£1000 on all these? Na car wash dey help am brush the teeth ni?

@ lilies please do not kill me with laughter........lol

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Double27: 2:23pm On Dec 30, 2013
AK 48:

oga keep hthis nonsense to yourself......

op,pls anwser these few questions:

1.do you have a person that you believe can accomodate you comfortable temporarilly
2.life in london can be a bit expensive but other city like leiceter city is ok
3.op the bottom line is that wen you start to work,try to send a little money down here for investment,the more the stupidity of this country is increasing the more it favours the smart onces sending money back home....
today 1 pound=260,tommorrow it is 270.it hardly ever comes down....dats ur advantage,suffer,starve urself there just to squeze pounds for investment.

the bigining is always tough but at the end you will just make it in a way that you ll tell people '' its a long story''
Hey man na uk you dey now? you make sense sha
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by laplace19(m): 2:26pm On Dec 30, 2013
Please guys,what about settling in Germany after doing your masters?......... Is it advisable to settle their?
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Osario: 2:31pm On Dec 30, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

Why shouldn't he think about it? Are you his Oga or something ? Relax

Though staying in the UK without papers is not ideal, however, you have to weigh your options. If you can go to school in the UK go ahead and do it and deal with the rest later.

Why do you always crave for attention?

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by mayo47(m): 2:40pm On Dec 30, 2013
promisechild: Bro what you are looking for in sokoto is in your "sokoto" why thinking of settling in uk after your studies, ask those who are there presently and they will tell you the hell they are going through there. do u think ur certificate can secure u a white comfortable colar job in UK as a black man am sorry to tell na gate man that ur certificate fit give u there as a black man.

Bro after ur programme in UK come down to Nigeria and submit ur cv to various companies I bet u within two months u will have ur appointment letter with you.

not absolutely true……...

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Nobody: 2:41pm On Dec 30, 2013
Osario:

Fixed. cool
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by spikesC(m): 2:41pm On Dec 30, 2013
I have had talks with soo many people who are there.
Those who have suffered and conquered, the optimistic ones who didn't give up.
And do you know what they always say....

[size=18pt]It is worth it[/size] wink

Dude, make ur choice early, plan very well and the sky will be ur stepping stone cool

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by 1forall: 2:44pm On Dec 30, 2013
Ibime: Go study in Scotland. They give you one year visa after your studies there

That was aages ago before they set up the UKBA to run a uniform immigration system for the UK.

Not anymore.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by MrKnowitall: 2:56pm On Dec 30, 2013
Osario:

I dont understand what you mean. are you implying that making a comment on a thread is craving for attention?

Then why do you always quote my post to bring attention to yourself? relax my peasant friend. cheers
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by 2pence(m): 2:57pm On Dec 30, 2013
OP, Just like many here opined ,Settling in UK is welcomed but Make sure you are legit - and NOTE people dnt cut corners here - you must work for every penny and the system is tailored to ensure you cut your coat according to what you earn- If you are looking for a system that will improve your conservative life, then YES - If you are looking for a system that has justice and rule of law , then YES, If you are looking for up and grab oppurtunity then , NO, everything here takes process- by the way you didn tell us what you planned to study,The moment you come here , you will discover what is worth more than money and you will find that human life is supreme, 75% percent of Nigerians who stayed back after studies are only looking for society where there is Justice .

8 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by MrKnowitall: 3:03pm On Dec 30, 2013
cosmatoz: Well my candid advice, i came to the UK for my masters 2012 september, well JUSTWISE should remember me cos i asked lots of question smiley. I was told getting a job is next to impossible by my mates over here, but that did not stop me from applying. I have a job now with good pay in an international firm. So my opinion would be if it is what you want then do it with God all things are possible. The guys that said its impossible they never got the job. And o am a blackman

This is why I tell people to take the risk because it will most likely payoff. You have people here always telling everyone stay

in Nigeria, that there are no jobs in the U.k, U.S, and Nigerians are suffering there and blah blah blah. I believe those people

have peasant mentality. They are the same people that believe that God will come down and take the risk for them

and give them the rewards, peasants.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by MrKnowitall: 3:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
oche_ejemb:

There's nothing to weigh, do not ever stay in the UK illegally. It is not worth the mental, physical, emotional or monetary stress.

Like i said, staying in the U.K illegally is not ideal, but he can try to figure something out while he attends school.

He should at least take the chance because many people have done it and succeeded.

A choice between U.K and Nigeria is no choice at all.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Osario: 3:22pm On Dec 30, 2013
john650:

Who told you the USA has a more friendly immigration policy? Go ask the unofficial 11 million or so illegal immigrants residing in the USA, whose chances of ever getting a permanent residency is as good as finding a needle in a haystack. I forgot to mentiion that the USA removes about half a million people every year who have no papers to reside in the country. And there are countless of others held in detention facilities awaiting deportation. And if you happen to scale all these, pervacive racial discrimination awaits you in the workplace.

I've been waiting for someone to point out this fact. The US is no more better than the UK, immigration and job wise.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by zitoA: 3:29pm On Dec 30, 2013
I would like you to try NZ. Upon completing your MSc Degree you can proceed to PhD studies. In NZ, you pay domestic fee for PhD studies and you will not have to pay school fees for your kids up to secondary school level.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by faithin9ja: 3:30pm On Dec 30, 2013
It really depends on your immigration status and what you studied.

If you are able to get legal status, for instance you get married to a British Citizen and are given the limited rigth to stay or there are some work placement visas (but these rules change constantly).

After this what and where you studied matters most; I would suggest if you are coming to study,do a professional course; engineering, computer programming, medicine, law, etc Or train as an electrician, plumber or other skilled labour. Any of these can easily earn you £30,000 a year within one year of graduation.

Do not do our traditional naija courses - economics, bus admin, etc these are pen pusher courses and work will be difficult. (unless you studied in the top universities, Oxford, Cambridge, Kings, etc)

6 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by MrKnowitall: 3:34pm On Dec 30, 2013
Ugosample: Thank you very much for your responses, i guess the United Kingdom is a no go area them. I am currently shopping for schools in North America and to be sincere, settling in Nigeria is not part of my plans, what i want to achieve cannot be done here. Sad but true, that said, thank you all once again. The route to Canada is less complex as i have seen, due to the skills gap, and i will consider that option too. God bless.

Dont let people talk you out of doing what you think is right for you. You just have to try

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Rumuokwurusi Flyover, Port Harcourt Partially Collapses (Video) / Another Plane Crash In US Claims Several Lives Weeks After Wigwe's Incident / Couple & Their 3 Kids Die In Fatal Accident On Their Way To Abuja(See Burial Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.