Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,896 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Importance of the National ID Card Project - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Importance of the National ID Card Project (6775 Views)

Buhari Presented With His National ID Card (Photos) / Transformation Agenda: National Id Card Project Scam- Over N121 Billion Looted / Federal Govt Is To Start Up "the National I.d. Card" Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Importance of the National ID Card Project by akinwunmi(m): 8:36pm On Sep 01, 2005
National ID Card: What's the Use? or what do you think.

If it is that important, why was it not distributed for a long period of time. just for one week and you have to go to a Local Government to get it. Try it, and you will see another name for extortion, harrasment, delay et all. Your opinion is needed.
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by Greatpeter(m): 9:57pm On Sep 01, 2005
that id card has no meaning to me it's just a misplace of priority.
the money spent on that project would have been diverted to another meaningful project that will have a direct impact on the citizenry.

Our govt. should learn how to embark on meaningful projects that will put food on the table of the common men.

so i don't see id card putting food on our table, provides long term employment for youths.

So what's the use?
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by Imnakoya(m): 1:13am On Sep 02, 2005
Nigerians need a form of national  identity numbers that are unique to each individual. This can be used to record keeping- opening of bank accounts, credit line etc.

Will national ID cards make this possible? Maybe, it depends on how the project its being implemented.
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by Seun(m): 1:16am On Sep 02, 2005
Imnakoya, you beat me to it! Here's what I was planning to write:
"But, the ID card might help to provide unique identification for each citizen of Nigeria. Such identification helps in providing some services - like widespread availability or credit for consumer purchases - that are simply not existing in Nigeria today. Services that whites have grown to depend upon!"
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by Imnakoya(m): 5:15am On Sep 02, 2005
Great minds think alike they say, right? grin
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by kazey(m): 6:08am On Sep 02, 2005
And let me add to it. It would reduce online frauds, because, we would be able to add concepts of using your id to sign up for service. But the thing is the government has profitted too much from the card project. If you understand what I mean.
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by klex(m): 7:45am On Sep 02, 2005
It is not a misplaced priority at all, infact its been long overdue! For too long we have simply carried on as a disorganised lot. Do you know that Nigerien beggars all have their national ID's? let us have a databank and know who our people are.

I just wish to add that I think the finger print databank prepared pursuant to the scheme will afford the police an opportunity to engage in real forensic policing as is done now the world over and not this their voodoo strong arm tactics( well that is if they can get off their lazy behinds and show an interest in something other than "egunje"wink. Scenario - if the police had taken prints from the bola ige murder scene and run it through the databank, his killers may have been apprehended by now!

I got my ID card without hassles, If any attempt is made to extort money from you, dont keep quiet take the matter up with higher authorities. This culture of criminal silence and acquiesence of this egunje thing has got to stop we need to resist bribe giving and taking at our individual levels!
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by kazey(m): 9:45am On Sep 02, 2005
Bola Ige's case? common don't tell me you dont know what is happening cheesy. I mean are you really in Nigeria?
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by klex(m): 10:28am On Sep 02, 2005
My point was that everything we think we know about the matter is really in the realm of conjecture there is no hard evidence. but imagine if omisore or fryo's fingerprints had put them at the scene of the crime then we would be talkin with authority.

Having a fingerprint databank will help us do things properly
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by kazey(m): 10:44am On Sep 02, 2005
grin man you are cracking me up. Are you saying that Omisore or whoever would be present at the scene? even though lets say they are involved?
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by klex(m): 10:51am On Sep 02, 2005
It seems you did not follow the case.
Yes, the prosecution alleged that omisore's younger brother alani actually led the team of killers which included fryo to carry out the dastardly assignment. That was the connection to Iyiola Omisore. So please dont laugh be informed!
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by Pappy: 5:08pm On Sep 06, 2005
A national ID card scheme is very important, any civilized country has it. It's a good way to keep track of the citizenry.
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by Greatpeter(m): 7:47pm On Sep 07, 2005
Well I still maintain that i've not seen how national ID will improve our economy, put food on the table of the common men.
We forget history very quickly in Nigeria.
The ID project started in the days of Abacha, OBJ came to finish it up and it was birthed with curruption.
I still sound indiffent on this issue.

It's a misplace of pririty.
What is ID card when our refineries are not working.
What is ID card when Niger Delta is plaqued by underdevelopment and environmental degradation.
What is ID card when our youths are roaming about jobless.
What is ID card when there no security.
What is ID card when health sector is loosing it's values
what is ID card when majority are hungry?
What is ID card when fuel price is being sky rocketed, fuel price was adjusted ten times in six years.
What is ID card when there is ethnic, tribal and religious clashes here and there.
What is ID card when standard of education in Nigeria is falling.
I'm pissed off!
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by Pappy: 12:36am On Sep 08, 2005
Mr Greatpeter, do you think most of what you wrote is easy to do without an id card? It's about time we create a citizen's database because it's going to be easier to keep track of a population, create jobs, improve security, help keep track of citizens in time of elections etc. Nigerians need to understand that things are hard and without a national id card some of the things you mentioned are almost impossible especially with our growing population. I'm all for the national ID card scheme provided there's no corruption with it and it's honest. I understand most Nigerians, especially those living in Nigeria, are frustrated but development is one day at a time.
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by akinwunmi(m): 10:06pm On Sep 12, 2005
i dont think we need such things right now. will the ID card reduce the rate of poverty in the country or put food on peoples table? NO. There are better things to use the money for that wasting it on ID CARD.
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by Pappy: 4:47pm On Sep 13, 2005
Like what? How can government keep track of its citizens? How can government "magically" put food on the table like most Nigerians seem to believe? I would like to know what some Nigerians would do if they were given the chance to serve as President. Logically, what would you do? What most Nigerians don't understand is the long term benefits of something. I don't blame the way most Nigerians think because the past leaders have made it so hard for any of us to trust any amicable and sensible policy but we need to start developing and stop dreaming for something to magically happen. We need this ID card for Nigeria.
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by kazey(m): 12:16pm On Sep 15, 2005
Solve the basic water supplies and electricity problem for once, and Nigerians would be happy.
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by stimulus(m): 12:28pm On May 07, 2007
Government come, Government go!! undecided

After the dust settles, there'll be another elephant project for us to keep us noisily busy.
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by angel101(f): 11:27am On May 10, 2007
what is the criteria for getting one? cant anybody just stroll in from chad and get one? didnt people move the stations for collecting data for the ID cards to their homes and offices if i remember correctly? in my opinion, the ID card is meaningless!
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by Wexelion(m): 11:39am On Dec 13, 2011
I can't open an account because of this id card,i tell you this id card is very useful. If there was a strong identity recognition system in Nigeria at least by now Boko haram would have been curbed.
Re: Importance of the National ID Card Project by tck2000(m): 3:47pm On Jun 28, 2019

(1) (Reply)

The A-z Of Gani’s Will - Made Lifetime Provisions For First Son, Love Child / 10 Countries With Strongest Armies In The World / Robert Mugabe Tops As The Most Educated President In The World...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.