Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,170 members, 7,821,969 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... (4055 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / Is It Like Frank Edwards Is Loosing It?i Think We Have To Pray For Him / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:01pm On Dec 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

The guy just hates me.....maybe I need to be praising his big grammar

cheesy cheesy cheesy. Just as josh hates me and wiegraf hates folykaze grin grin grin
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:02pm On Dec 28, 2013
Reyginus: Well said!

Shut up cheesy grin
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:03pm On Dec 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

Funny meme aside, why must we describe the evidence as scientific?
Lololol. My good lord come save us. And you neglect the spiritual evidence of the theist because it is not scientific.
I doff my HEART.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

Shut up cheesy grin
Make me.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 28, 2013
Back to the op.

Just like I once said during a discussion with Josh, atheism has nothing to do with evolution and the big-bang.

I was already an agnostic before I familiarized myself with evolution and the big-bang. I had only heard about them with no particular knowledge about them. The big-bang most especially.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Joshthefirst(m): 12:05pm On Dec 28, 2013
Reyginus: Lololol. My good lord come save us. And you neglect the spiritual evidence of the theist because it is not scientific.
I doff my HEART.
no. They deny anything that is spiritual or supernatural because it is "unscientific" grin

I asked plaetton if he believed in intuition and he didn't reply me, just dodged and ran away. grin
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by texanomaly(f): 12:05pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

cheesy cheesy cheesy. Just as josh hates me and wiegraf hates folykaze grin grin grin
I doubt anybody hates anyone. Smh
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 28, 2013
Reyginus: Lololol. My good lord come save us. And you neglect the spiritual evidence of the theist because it is not scientific.
I doff my HEART.

Like which spiritual evidence?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 28, 2013
texanomaly:
I doubt anybody hates anyone. Smh

Lol, just joking tongue tongue
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:07pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind: Back to the op.

Just like I once said during a discussion with Josh, atheism has nothing to do with evolution and the big-bang.

I was already an agnostic before I familiarized myself with evolution and the big-bang. I had only heard about them with no particular knowledge about them. The big-bang most especially.
Good for you, bro. But bros eh, where does an atheist get his morality from?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:07pm On Dec 28, 2013
Joshthefirst: no. They deny anything that is spiritual or supernatural because it is "unscientific" grin

I asked plaetton if he believed in intuition and he didn't reply me, just dodged and ran away. grin

Plaetton knew where you were going. There was no need replying
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:10pm On Dec 28, 2013
Reyginus: Good for you, bro. But bros eh, where does an atheist get his morality from?

I don't know where other atheists get their morality from. I can only speak for myself.

I base my morality on the golden rule. I don't to others what I wouldn't have them do to me.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Joshthefirst(m): 12:10pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

Plaetton knew where you were going. There was no need replying
be quiet for pete's sake!

If intuition is a fact and an agreeable happening and it is not logical or physical, can't we deduce that there is an aspect of the universe and even of ourselves not logical or physical also?

Simple. Denying what is real will never help you or anyone else.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 28, 2013
Joshthefirst: no. They deny anything that is spiritual or supernatural because it is "unscientific" grin

The hypocrisy stinks.
Plaetton is a better thinker compared to logicboy. Logicboy's case is chronic. But he is getting better.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

Like which spiritual evidence?
Lol. I'm sorry, none.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:15pm On Dec 28, 2013
Joshthefirst: be quiet for pete's sake!

If intuition is a fact and an agreeable happening and it is not logical or physical, can't we deduce that there is an aspect of the universe and even of ourselves not logical or physical also?

Simple. Denying what is real will never help you or anyone else.

Lol, this is a case of you making leaps. If intuition is a fact, what makes you think it doesn't have some evolutionary basis? Don't ask me the basis because I don't know. I'm just saying it might have.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:15pm On Dec 28, 2013
Reyginus: Lol. I'm sorry, none.

Lol, Good
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:17pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

I don't know where other atheists get their morality from. I can only speak for myself.

I base my morality on the golden rule. I don't to others what I would have them do to me.
Golden rule? By who?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by DeepSight(m): 12:18pm On Dec 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

If I am being sued for non-payment and I produce both a receipt and a bank letter stating that I paid fund into the claimants account- isnt that evidence?

These are physical, and hence, scientific testaments: which can also be subjected to scientific verification. Still, end of the day, the kind of evidence of God you seek.

And a pity indeed, that in spite of the abundance in every iota and inch of life and living creatures about you, you will stare it all in the face; you will stare at the grand and stupefying design even of your own ungrateful body: and, thumb in mouth, nappies soaked, still screech: "no evidence! not a shred of evidence!"

If God appeared to all of us and then went back to heaven, would that be evidence? Must it be described as "scientific"?

O, yes, to the extent that you will want a physical appearance, scientifically recorded and verifiable as real, and not some holographic hoax.

Your mind is just as invisible as God is invisible: you do not doubt the existence of your mind because of its works. The mind of God is manifest also in the works of God.

3 Likes

Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Joshthefirst(m): 12:18pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

Lol, this is a case of you making leaps. If intuition is a fact, what makes you think it doesn't have some evolutionary basis? Don't ask me the basis because I don't know. I'm just saying it might have.
your saying it "might have" is illogical.

Although I don't even believe in evolution,
Answer me this question: is evolution a physical process? Is it a natural process? Or is it an extra-physical process? A supernatural process?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:19pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

Lol, Good
It cannot be explained by science so I wouldn't call it an evidence. grin
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:19pm On Dec 28, 2013
Reyginus: Golden rule? By who?

I don't know the origin of the golden rule. I don't think its even relevant. What is relevant is that I base my morality on it.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Joshthefirst(m): 12:21pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

I don't know the origin of the golden rule. I don't think its even relevant. What is relevant is that I base my morality on it.
chai.
cry

May God have mercy on us.

We don't even care for the basis of our moral standings anymore.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:21pm On Dec 28, 2013
Joshthefirst: your saying it "might have" is illogical.

Although I don't even believe in evolution,
Answer me this question: is evolution a physical process? Is it a natural process? Or is it an extra-physical process? A supernatural process?

What is illogical in using the word "might"?

Evolution is both a physical and natural process.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

I don't think you know what I am trying to do. That's even better.
Why do you think we need this Golden rule?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 28, 2013
Joshthefirst: chai.
cry

May God have mercy on us.

We don't even care for the basis of our moral standings anymore.

That's your headache not mine
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:26pm On Dec 28, 2013
Reyginus: I don't think you know what I am trying to do. That's even better.
Why do you think we need this Golden rule?

Keep deceiving yourself. What makes you think I don't know what ure trying to do. I know where ure going.

You should start by telling us how doing to others what you would have them do to you is wrong.

I don't need to tell you why you need it.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:27pm On Dec 28, 2013
Reyginus: It cannot be explained by science so I wouldn't call it an evidence. grin

Tells us and let's see how sensible it is. Your spiritual evidence I mean. Let's take science out of the picture
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Joshthefirst(m): 12:34pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

What is illogical in using the word "might"?

Evolution is both a physical and natural process.
so how can this physical and natural process give rise to intuition?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:35pm On Dec 28, 2013

No....because it is illogical....we deny it because it is illogical

Logical Evidence-
Josh; I have a bat
Logicboy; prove it!
Josh; *produces a bat* here is the bat!

Illogical/spiritual evidence;
Josh; I have a bat
Logicboy; Prove it!
Josh; You cant prove that I dont have a bat!
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Joshthefirst(m): 12:37pm On Dec 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

No....because it is illogical....we deny it because it is illogical

Logical Evidence-
Josh; I have a bat
Logicboy; prove it!
Josh; *produces a bat* here is the bat!

Illogical/spiritual evidence;
Josh; I have a bat
Logicboy; Prove it!
Josh; You cant prove that I dont have a bat!

choi. Are you even following the convo on this thread at all?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by DeepSight(m): 12:39pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

I base my morality on the golden rule. I don't to others what I wouldn't have them do to me.

And let us say that you are, for example, a masochist. You enjoy being whipped to within an inch of your life. Would this principle which you have mentioned make it morally apt to do same to others who think just like you.

To put it more lucidly. Let us say that you detest being disciplined. Your principle says that you would not do to others what you would not like them to do to you. In this instance therefore you would consider it morally wrong to discipline others who similarly detest discipline?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Rare Pictures Of Mary Slessor And Children In Calabar / The Battle Of Elohim And Yahweh / Atheism And Agnosticism, Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.