Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,128 members, 7,821,864 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... (4054 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / Is It Like Frank Edwards Is Loosing It?i Think We Have To Pray For Him / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:42pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

Keep deceiving yourself. What makes you think I don't know what ure trying to do. I know where ure going.

You should start by telling us how doing to others what you would have them do to you is wrong.

I don't need to tell you why you need it.
Lol. I blew my cover. Lol.

But bros, the question is not directly about what is right or wrong but the origin of our understanding of any of them. This makes your final line irrelevant.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:42pm On Dec 28, 2013
Joshthefirst: choi. Are you even following the convo on this thread at all?

I started the thread
I have the most comments on this thread

Summary- Joshthefirst's question is out of either silliness or dubiousness- grin grin grin
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by DeepSight(m): 12:42pm On Dec 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

No....because it is illogical....we deny it because it is illogical

Logical Evidence-
Josh; I have a bat
Logicboy; prove it!
Josh; *produces a bat* here is the bat!

Illogical/spiritual evidence;
Josh; I have a bat
Logicboy; Prove it!
Josh; You cant prove that I dont have a bat!

What rather goes on here is this:

Theist: There is a Creator
Atheist: Prove it
Theist: Produces a human brain, with its hallmarks of design

Atheist: That is no evidence. Not a shred of evidence!
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:43pm On Dec 28, 2013
Deep Sight:

And let us say that you are, for example, a masochist. You enjoy being whipped to within an inch of your life. Would this principle which you have mentioned make it morally apt to do same to others who think just like you.

To put it more lucidly. Let us say that you detest being disciplined. Your principle says that you would not do to others what you would not like them to do to you. In this instance therefore you would consider it morally wrong to discipline others who similarly detest discipline?

Thanks for exposing the problem with the golden rule..... wink
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:44pm On Dec 28, 2013
Joshthefirst: so how can this physical and natural process give rise to intuition?

Same way it gave birth to hunger, love e.t.c which are all abstract concepts controlled by physical regions of the brain which is a by product of evolution.

Intuition maybe is also controlled by some physical aspects of the brain. I'm not into neuroscience but I know someone who is into it will be able to shed more light.

So, stop making unnecessary leaps
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Joshthefirst(m): 12:47pm On Dec 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

I started the thread
I have the most comments on this thread

Summary- Joshthefirst's question is out of either silliness or dubiousness- grin grin grin
okay.

Logicboy03:

No....because it is illogical....we deny it because it is illogical

Logical Evidence-
Josh; I have a bat
Logicboy; prove it!
Josh; *produces a bat* here is the bat!

Illogical/spiritual evidence;
Josh; I have a bat
Logicboy; Prove it!
Josh; You cant prove that I dont have a bat!

Deep Sight:

These are physical, and hence, scientific testaments: which can also be subjected to scientific verification. Still, end of the day, the kind of evidence of God you seek.

And a pity indeed, that in spite of the abundance in every iota and inch of life and living creatures about you, you will stare it all in the face; you will stare at the grand and stupefying design even of your own ungrateful body: and, thumb in mouth, nappies soaked, still screech: "no evidence! not a shred of evidence!"

O, yes, to the extent that you will want a physical appearance, scientifically recorded and verifiable as real, and not some holographic hoax.

Your mind is just as invisible as God is invisible: you do not doubt the existence of your mind because of its works. The mind of God is manifest also in the works of God.

Why must the same thing be repeated to you several times before you begin to grasp and plan counter arguments to deny the obvious?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Joshthefirst(m): 12:48pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

Same way it gave birth to hunger, love e.t.c which are all abstract concepts controlled by physical regions of the brain which is a by product of evolution.

Intuition maybe is also controlled by some physical aspects of the brain. I'm not into neuroscience but I know someone who is into it will be able to shed more light.

go and check your dictionary for the comprehensive definition of intuition.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

Tells us and let's see how sensible it is. Your spiritual evidence I mean. Let's take science out of the picture
Dude is serious.

I have seen a young man throw his polo up in the air after some incantations and it remained there.

I have seen two hausa men in a trance bend the blades of two sharp knives.

I have as a child witnessed a bet where a young man could not lift his hands from the ground after placing there willingly.

I have heard of young men who resist the rage of a gun.

Oh! The problem now is I didn't record it for you to see.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by DeepSight(m): 12:51pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

And, might I ask: are such unquantifiables such as Joy, Sorrow and Heart Break - also products of evolution?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:54pm On Dec 28, 2013
Deep Sight:

And let us say that you are, for example, a masochist. You enjoy being whipped to within an inch of your life. Would this principle which you have mentioned make it morally apt to do same to others who think just like you.

To put it more lucidly. Let us say that you detest being disciplined. Your principle says that you would not do to others what you would not like them to do to you. In this instance therefore you would consider it morally wrong to discipline others who similarly detest discipline?

Lol, I'm not oblivious of the problems with the golden rule. Someone asked what I based my morality on and I told him. It has its own problems but that is what I base my morality on irrespective of the inherent problems it has

And I think, morally, I'm doing great.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:56pm On Dec 28, 2013
Deep Sight:

What rather goes on here is this:

Theist: There is a Creator
Atheist: Prove it
Theist: Produces a human brain, with its hallmarks of design

Atheist: That is no evidence. Not a shred of evidence!

^^^^
This highlights the dubious nature of many theists. What hallmarks of design are on a human brain? How would you know? Have you or anyone designed a human brain before or has anyone created a brain before?

Let us examine the logical failure of the creator in Deepsight's analogy with some philosophy and logic

A real creator/manufacturer Vs A non-existent intelligent designer

1) The real creator
You take a look at the car and from it you can tell certain things about the designer
a) there will be a hallmark or mark of the designer- A logo or a brand name
b) you will notice that a car's fuel gauge is not entirely accurate as it is an estimate. A car would drive on empty for a few minutes as there would still be a miniscule amount of fuel that the gauge wouldnt be able to read. The manufacturer is not perfect and therefore, a perfect car is impossible
c) you will also notice that a car is streamlined in shape and has suspensions and rubber tires. This shows that the designer himself must bend to friction, gravity and pressure. The designer is not above nature

2) The non existent intelligent designer/creator
Take a look at a brain and you will notice certain things
a) There is no hallmark or mark of the designer. No logo, no brand name of God. Nothing
b) The brain is not bigger or heavier than the skull/head. It is made up of a soft membrane. This shows that the brain is subject to gravity and would naturally show that the intelligent designer is subject to physics/nature....but wait, this intelligent designer is beyond nature!!!

1 Like

Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:57pm On Dec 28, 2013
Joshthefirst: go and check your dictionary for the comprehensive definition of intuition.

Shift abeg. Your argument has been shred into pieces grin grin
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:58pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

Shift abeg. Your argument has been shred into pieces grin grin

grin grin grin
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:58pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

Lol, I'm not oblivious of the problems with the golden rule. Someone asked what I based my morality on and I told him. It has its own problems but that is what I base my morality on irrespective of the inherent problems it has

And I think, morally, I'm doing great.
Lol. So even if both parties like respectively, good and bad things, it is still morally justifiable to return the favour by any one of them.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 28, 2013
Reyginus: Dude is serious.

I have seen a young man throw his polo up in the air after some incantations and it remained there.

I have as a child witnessed a bet where a young man could not lift his hands from the ground after placing there willingly.

Lol, you can also watch more cool magic tricks on youtube
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 1:00pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

Lol, you can also watch more cool magic tricks on youtube
What is the problem now? embarassed
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 1:00pm On Dec 28, 2013
Reyginus: Dude is serious.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

You know that your argument is false but you still continue...the arrogance of religion cheesy cheesy cheesy
Deep Sight:

And, might I ask: are such unquantifiables such as Joy, Sorrow and Heart Break - also products of evolution?

They are all controlled by physical aspects of the brain and that brain is a by product of evolution.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 1:01pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

They are all controlled by physical aspects of the brain and that brain is a by product of evolution.

Gbam!!!!

1 Like

Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 28, 2013
Reyginus: Lol. So even if both parties like respectively, good and bad things, it is still morally justifiable to return the favour by any one of them.

All these your questions dey tire person self grin grin

And I don't think I get the question, can you please be more explicit?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Joshthefirst(m): 1:06pm On Dec 28, 2013
in·tu·i·tion  (nt-shn, -ty-)
n.
a. The act or faculty of knowing or sensing without the use of rational processes; immediate cognition. See Synonyms at reason.
b. Knowledge gained by the use of this faculty; a perceptive insight.
2. A sense of something not evident or deducible; an impression.

Ignorance is bliss. Intuition which is extra-sensory is controlled by the brain. Chai.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

You know that your argument is false but you still continue...the arrogance of religion cheesy cheesy cheesy
Please oga logic, show me how?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 28, 2013
Reyginus: What is the problem now? embarassed

Lol, that is, you can watch better ones on youtube. Better than those ones you've experienced.

I once watched one where criss angel walked through a metal gate. Isn't that more cool than one who threw a cloth in the air and it didn't come down?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 1:07pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

Please I want to ask something, is the mind a physical aspect of the brain?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 1:09pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

All these your questions dey tire person self grin grin

And I don't think I get the question, can you please be more explicit?
The question is asking, does this rule hold for two persons with diametrically opposite morality?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 1:12pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

Lol, that is, you can watch better ones on youtube. Better than those ones you've experienced.

I once watched one where criss angel walked through a metal gate. Isn't that more cool than one who threw a cloth in the air and it didn't come down?
But that was not your question now embarassed. You ask me to provide some examples to show there can be a non-scientific evidence which I did and you are now saying something else. Why na? Probably they are even scientific evidence tongue
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 1:19pm On Dec 28, 2013
Joshthefirst: in·tu·i·tion  (nt-shn, -ty-)
n.
a. The act or faculty of knowing or sensing without the use of rational processes; immediate cognition. See Synonyms at reason.
b. Knowledge gained by the use of this faculty; a perceptive insight.
2. A sense of something not evident or deducible; an impression.

Ignorance is bliss. Intuition which is extra-sensory is controlled by the brain. Chai.

I like Josh for one thing, you brag and gloat about ignorance.

There is nothing extra-sensory about intuition. Your definition b even said it is a sense of something not evident. The subconscious is also not evident and we know its controlled by the brain.

You have no point brah
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 1:22pm On Dec 28, 2013
Reyginus: Please I want to ask something, is the mind a physical aspect of the brain?

Lol, I think I made it clear I'm not a neuroscientist.

And I think your question is wrong. You should had asked if the mind is controlled by a physical aspect of the brain.

That I'm not sure but its most likely yes.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

Lol, I think I made it clear I'm not a neuroscientist.

And I think your question is wrong. You should had asked if the mind is controlled by a physical aspect of the brain.

That I'm not sure but its most likely yes.
Don't you think that it has to exist first for it to be controlled?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 28, 2013
Reyginus: But that was not your question now embarassed. You ask me to provide some examples to show there can be a non-scientific evidence which I did and you are now saying something else. Why na? Probably they are even scientific evidence tongue

I asked you to provide examples of such spiritual evidences and you mentioned examples of cool magic tricks. I told you there is nothing spiritual about them as you can watch better ones on youtube with natural explanations
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by DeepSight(m): 1:27pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

I like Josh for one thing, you brag and gloat about ignorance.

There is nothing extra-sensory about intuition. Your definition b even said it is a sense of something not evident. The subconscious is also not evident and we know its controlled by the brain.

You have no point brah

How does a new born puppy know to seek out and suckle on its mother's breasts as soon as it is born. It's brain, which is a stranger in the world, and has never known of such a thing as a "breast" before, informs it to do this, hmmm? How exactly so, my friend? How does the brain of the puppy come about this wonderful clairvoyance?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 28, 2013
rationalmind:

I asked you to provide examples of such spiritual evidences and you mentioned examples of cool magic tricks. I told you there is nothing spiritual about them as you can watch better ones on youtube with natural explanations
Okay. I don't have strength to be moving around the same thing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome And His daughters share Christmas photoshoot. (photo) / Is The Bible Just An Old Storybook Or A Manual For Living? / The Best President Ever Is An Atheist- Uruguayan President Donates 90% Of Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.