Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,211 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? (2949 Views)

President Buhari Holds Emergency Meeting Over Rivers Election / National Assembly Set To Take Over Rivers Assembly / Nembe Youths Shut Down OML29 Oil Well Located In Nembe - Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by oddy4real(m): 11:37am On Dec 28, 2013
Many times, i have heard Governor Amaechi and APC people saying President Jonathan GAVE Soku Oil well to Bayelsa over Rivers State. Amaechi has been using this to cause disaffection between the people of Rivers State and the President.

Some questions however arise
1. Has the Supreme Court not already adjudicated on the matter of the Oil well dispute between the 2 states?
2. If the Supreme Court has, then why is Amaechi blaming the President?
3. Does the President have the powers to do what Amaechi said he did?

Ladies and gentlemen, to lay this matter to rest once and for all, here is a link to the Supreme Court Judgement which awarded Soku Oil well to Bayelsa State.

http://godssonism./2012/11/01/the-supreme-court-judgment-on-soku-made-easy/

2 Likes

Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by oddy4real(m): 11:40am On Dec 28, 2013
THE SUPREME COURT JUDGMENT ON SOKU MADE EASY

Introduction

Before anything, let me remind us that Rivers State was the (Plaintiff) one that went to the Supreme Court. Let me also remind us that Rivers State Government earlier took Bayelsa State Government to the Federal High Court on this same issue and lost. And instead of following the normal appellate process via the Appeal Court, the Rivers State Government instead invoked constitutional provisions and filed a suit in the Supreme Court in 2011 and this year, precisely on Tuesday, the 10th day of July, 2012, the Supreme Court delivered its judgment and struck out her case for lack of evidence.

I know this might not appear fair to some, but I am sure we all know that law is not about emotions and plenty talks, but providing evidence to prove your case beyond all reasonable doubts. This is because the Government of Rivers State who claims that Soku is hers must have to prove that. As the court puts it, “a party who asserts must prove same. This is extant from the provision of section 135 of the Evidence Act.”

RELIEVES SOUGHT BY THE PLAINTIFF (RIVERS STATE)

In Plaintiff’s amended Statement of Claim in paragraph 77 thereof the reliefs sought against the defendants are as follows:

“1. DECLARATION that the purported boundary between the Plaintiff State and the 1st Defendant State as shown in the 11th Edition of the Administrative Map of Nigeria does not represent the correct boundary between the Plaintiff State and the 1st Defendant State.

2. DECLARATION that the correct boundary between the Plaintiff state and the 1st Defendant is River Santa Barbara.

3. DECLARATION that the 1st Defendant’s claim to Soku Oil fields in the Plaintiff’s territorial jurisdiction is false, wrongful, illegal, unconstitutional, vexatious, null and void and of no effect whatsoever.

4. DECLARATION that the Soku Oil Fields/Oil Wells are situated within the territorial boundaries of Rivers State of Nigeria.

5. DECLARATION that the Plaintiff State is entitled to all the revenue that has accrued and is accruing to the Federation Account from the said Soku Oil Fields/Oil Wells from July, 2005, by reason of the derivation principle stipulated in Section 162(2) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999.

6. DECLARATION that all accrued revenues from the Soku Oil Fields/Oil Wells however arisen and either being kept in the account known as “Rivers State/Bayelsa States Excrow account” or in any other account be released forthwith to the Plaintiff, with all accrued interest thereon.

7. AN ORDER against the 2nd Defendant for account of revenue that has accrued to the federation account from “Soku” Oil field/wells on the basis of the derivative principle, from July, 2005 which Rivers State should have received but for the wrongful payment of same by the 2nd Defendant to the 1st Defendant.

8. AN ORDER for payment by the 2nd Defendant to the Plaintiff of any sums due from the Federation Account to Rivers State upon the taking of such account.

9. OR IN THE EVENT THAT all sums found due upon the taking of such account have been paid to the 1st Defendant, then AN ORDER directing the 1st Defendant to pay and/or refund to the Plaintiff all the revenue wrongly paid to the 1st Defendant from the Federation Account in respect of the Soku Oil Fields/Wells from July, 2005.

10. FURTHER to relief (i) AN ORDER directing the 2nd defendant to cause to be deducted from the statutory allocation of the 1st defendant and paid over to the plaintiff any sums due from the Federation Account to the plaintiff state upon the taking of such account.

11. AN ORDER OF PERPETUAL INJUNCTION restraining the Federal Government of Nigeria by itself, its servants agents or privies and all its agencies or departments and functionaries howsoever called or described from allotting or continuing to allot the Soku Oil Fields/Oil Wells or all revenues derived from the Oil Fields/Oil Wells to the 1st Defendant.

12. AN ORDER directing the Federal Government of Nigeria by itself its servants, agent’s or privies and all its agencies or departments and functionaries howsoever called or described to continue to pay to Plaintiff State all revenues and/or proceeds accrued and/or derived from Soku Oil Fields/Oil Wells.”

2 Likes

Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by oddy4real(m): 11:42am On Dec 28, 2013
THE JUDGMENT

SULEIMAN GALADIMA, J.S.C: (Delivering the Leading Judgment):

“Now to the merit of the Plaintiff’s claim in this Suit. The plaintiff, by the institution of this suit, challenges the allocation of revenue to the 1st Defendant by the 2nd Defendant from oil proceeds to the Federation Account from Soku Oil Wells/Fields. In other words his contention is that Soku Oil Wells/Fields are located in Rivers State. This contention is based on the premise that the boundary between the Plaintiff and the 1st Defendant States is the Santa Barbara River. On the other hand, the 1st Defendant asserts that the same Soku Oil Wells/Fields which he (1st Defendant) refers to as Oluasiri Oil Wells/Fields are located in Bayelsa State because the boundary between the 1st Defendant and the Plaintiff is the San Bartholomew River.

We do not require copious formulation of issues by the parties to resolve this case. The Sole issue is the actual location of Soku Oil Wells/Fields (as called by the Plaintiff) or Oluasiri Oil Wells/Fields (as called by the 1st Defendant).The determination of the issue is dependent on what the correct boundary of the plaintiff and 1st Defendant States is. Is it Santa Barbara River as claimed by the Plaintiff or San Bartholomew River as claimed by the 1st Defendant? That is the question.

From the averments in paragraphs 14, 15, 16, 19, 20, and 21, the official performances of the agencies were not satisfactory and acceptable to the Plaintiff and are vehemently criticized and reproached thus:

”14. Prior to 2006, derivative funds/proceeds from Soku Oil fields/wells had always been paid to Rivers State and on the basis that Soku Oil fields/wells are located in Rivers State.

15. From 2006, the Revenue Mobilization Allocation and Fiscal Commission single handedly and unilaterally changed the existing order and have since been giving derivative funds/money accruing from Soku oil fields/wells to Bayelsa State to the detriment of Rivers State where Soku oil fields/wells are situated.

16. The Revenue Mobilization Allocation and Fiscal Commission based its decision on the 11th Edition of the Administrative Map of Nigeria which put the boundary between Rivers State and Bayelsa State as or at St. Bartholomew River.

19. The National Boundary Commission (NBC) admitted its mistake of changing the natural, administrative and political boundary between the Plaintiff State and 1st Defendant State from River Santa Barbara to River St. Bartholomew in the letter dated 3rd July, 2002 and undertook to amend it in the publication of its 12th Edition of Administrative map. The letter is hereby pleaded.

20. The National Boundary Commission’s (NBC) admission of error/fault was in reaction to the Plaintiff State’s protest letters dated 28th March 2002 and 20th June 2002.

21. In the letter of 15th September, 2008 addressed to the Surveyor General of the Federation and copied the National Boundary Commission, National Boundary Commission was reminded of the need to revise the 11th Edition of the Administrative map as promised its letter of 3rd July, 2002.”

The Plaintiff claims that the 11th Edition of the Administrative Map of Nigeria is fraught with irregularities and errors and even that the map changed the natural boundary from River Santa Barbara to St. Bartholomew.

The Plaintiff has contended that upon the discovery of the error in the 11th Edition of the Administrative Map that “surreptitiously” changed the natural boundary, it promptly protested in writing to the National Boundary Commission on 25/03/2002 and on 20/06/2002, and by its letter of 31/7/2002 the NBC admitted that the change in the boundary from River Santa Barbara, to River St. Bartholomew was an error and it was to be corrected in the next Edition of the Map.

It is on account of the foregoing and because of the technical nature of the dispute and the claims of the parties this Court finds that the NBC as an authority vested with authorities and expertise know-how in dealing with this matter should have once and for all conducted an exhaustive exercise of delineating the disputed boundary. Hence the long-awaited 12th Edition of the Administrative Map when completed soonest would have been of tremendous assistance in settling this lingering dispute. In the light of the observations I have clearly expressed above I do not feel comfortable to grant the declarations sought until the NBC concludes its exercise of delineation of disputed boundary to finality. It will be futile and premature to determine the boundary of the two parties States in the present circumstances. However, the appropriate order to be made in the prevailing circumstance is that of striking out the Plaintiff’s suit, and I so order accordingly. Each party to bear its costs.

DAHIRU MUSDAPHER, C.J.N: I have read before now the judgment of my Lord Galadima, JSC just delivered with which I entirely agree. In the aforesaid judgment, his lordship has adequately set out not only the facts but also the issues submitted for the determination of this matter, an Originating Summons invoking the original jurisdiction of this action. I entirely agree with the reasoning’s of my lord, which I respectfully adopt as mine and consequently I too, find the suit of the plaintiff premature, this Court cannot arrive at any decision in this matter unless and until the Boundary Commission has determined the boundary between the Rivers State and Bayelsa State.

By section 3 of the Boundary Commission Act, it is the duty of the Commission to “determine and intervene” in the boundary dispute between the parties. The proper placement of the Soku Oil wells can only be determined by a Map by the Commission. In the absence of such a Map, the claims of the plaintiff in this matter are also in my view immature, I accordingly strike out the claims of the plaintiff, I also make no order as to costs.

MAHMUD MOHAMMED, J.S.C: I have been privileged before today of reading in draft the judgment just delivered by my learned brother Galadima, JSC in this action brought by the Plaintiff pursuant to the original jurisdiction of this court under Section 232 (1) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999. I entirely agree with my learned brother in the manner he tackled and resolved the preliminary objection raised by the 1st Defendant to the hearing of the action. I also dismiss the preliminary objection for lacking in merit.

J. A. FABIYI, J.S.C: I only wish to chip in a few words of my own. The reliefs claimed by the plaintiff are mainly declaratory in form and contents. The orders claimed by the plaintiff are dependent on the success or otherwise of the declaratory reliefs sought.

It is basic that in claims relating to declaratory reliefs, as herein, it is for the plaintiff to establish his claim on the strength of its claim and should not rely on the weakness of the defence; if any.See: Nwokidu v. Okanu (2010) 3 NWLR (Pt. 1181) 362, Dantata v. Mohammed (2000) 7 NWLR (Pt. 664) 176; Ekundayo v. Baruwa (1965) 2 NLR 211; Ali Ucha v. Martins Elechi (2012) MRSCJ Vol. 179 at 104; and Dumez Nig Ltd. v. Nwokhoba (2005) 18 NWLR (Pt. 1119) 361 at 373-374 where it is pronounced pungently that the burden of proof on the plaintiff in establishing declaratory reliefs to the satisfaction of the court is quite heavy. Such declaratory reliefs are not granted even on admission by the defendant where the plaintiff fails to establish his entitlements to the declarations by his own evidence.

F.G.A: What the above is saying is that even if Bayelsa State (1st Defendant) and the Federal Government (2nd Defendant) are to agree today that there was a mistake in the 11th Edition of the Administrative map and Soku actually belong to Rivers State, it is still inconsequential. This is because Rivers State still has to prove its case by providing evidence to corroborate that. Bayelsa state have argued that “The River Santa Barbara does not run the full length of both states and it branches into numerous tributaries thereby making resolving the issue of boundary between both states difficult and impossible.” And that fact has not be countered by the Plaintiff.

“Let me go further and mention the obvious. A party who asserts must prove same. This is extant from the provision of section 135 of the Evidence Act.See also the cases of Okubule v. Oyagbola (1990) 4 NWLR (pt. 144) 72; Osawaru v. Ezeiruka (1978) 6-7 SC 135 at 145; and Odukwe v. Ogunbiyi (1998) 8 NWLR (pt. 561) 339 at 352. From the facts on ground as depicted by the parties herein, can it be said with certainty that the boundary between the two States in respect of the area in dispute has been established by the plaintiff? As at today, the answer is in the negative. It is capital No!.The maps produced by the plaintiff and 1st defendant sing discordant tunes. The 2nd defendant whose official is charged with the responsibility of making Administrative Maps of Nigeria maintained that same is in the making and the 12th Edition would come out in the near future.”

“In short, it occurs to me that the plaintiff s claims appear hasty. Hitherto, the plaintiff failed to establish the real boundary between it and the 1st defendant. So, their claims have no firm stand to support them.”

F.G.A: The learned JSC is in the above paragraph referring to the failure of Rivers State Government to prove its case in the lower court.

I have read the judgment of my learned brother. Galadima, JSC. I am at one with the treatment of the preliminary objection raised by the 1st defendant. I agree with the conclusion arrived at in respect of same and accordingly adopt it.

For the above reasons and those clearly adumbrated in the lead judgment, I too feel that the plaintiff has not substantiated its claim and the declarations sought cannot be granted. Parties should tarry awhile. I agree that the appropriate order in the prevailing circumstance is one striking out the plaintiff’s suit. I order accordingly. Each party should bear its own costs.

OLUFUNLOLA OYELOLA ADEKEYE, J.S.C:

The error committed by the 2nd defendant in placing the new boundary between Bayelsa State and Rivers State at River St. Bartholomew also erroneously took Soku oil fields from the plaintiff and put it in the 1st defendant State. The sum of N23,424,970.30 have in the interval become due and payable to the plaintiff being 13% derivative funds from Soku oil field from June 1999 April 2010. The 1st defendant; Bayelsa State responded that the plaintiffs case ought to fail because it is well settled that a plaintiff must succeed on the strength of his case and not on the weakness of the defence. In this circumstance, the plaintiff has failed to adduce any evidence to show that River Santa Barbara is the territorial boundary between Rivers and Bayelsa States and that the oil wells in dispute are physically located in the territory of Rivers State.There is nothing on record to compel this court to go against the statutory presumption of correctness and regularity which the 11th edition of the administrative map of Nigeria enjoys. Finally the plaintiff has also failed to adduce material evidence in support of the monetary sum it claims from the defendants.

I also agree with the reasoning and conclusion of my learned brother, S. Galadima JSC in the lead judgment that this suit be struck out. I abide with the consequential orders including the order as to costs.

BODE RHODES-VIVOUR, J.S.C: I am in complete agreement with the reasoning and conclusions of my learned brother, Galadima, JSC.

While we await the 12th edition of the Administrative Map of Nigeria the plaintiff’s suit is hereby struck out with no order on costs.

F. G. A Conclusion:

The foregoing is the unanimous decision of all 5 setting Justices and they all agreed to strike out the case instituted by Rivers state for lack of evidence. My question now, is it that all those protesting now are not aware of this? Okay, if they are aware of this decision of the highest court in the land, then why are they blaming the Bayelsa State Government and the Presidency for the failure of the Government of Rivers state to provide material evidence to back its own claims?

More so, if those placard caring Traditional ‘rulers’ were aware that they will not obey the decisions of our courts, why did they not advice their government to look for other peaceful means of solving whatever problems they perceived?

The reality on ground is that, no amount of such kinds of protests will help them attain their objectives. Once you submit yourself to the legal process, you must abide by the outcomes (decisions of the courts) Pacta Sunt Servanda.

I implore our brothers and sisters, including our elders and traditional rulers to seek alternative conflict resolution mechanisms. Let’s solve our differences in-house instead of calling each other names and engaging in needless futile infightings.

3 Likes

Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Dec 28, 2013
@OP.., thanks for the information. The fact is that there is so much mis-information and lies out there. Even the media has failed woefully to ask the right questions and correctly inform the people. The irony of this whole matter is that this same supreme court single handedly made Amaechi the governor of Rivers State.

6 Likes

Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by DeCleff(m): 12:13pm On Dec 28, 2013
This is Nigeria were anything can happen. And i want u to understand that we have a Bayelsa man as president and hope u know what that implies?

OBj invaded Benue & Bayelsa states but only Odi in Bayelsa is to be compensated. What of Benue?

We need a president thats not from Bayelsa or Rivers or even south south to detremine the truth about the matter.

Don't forget that King T. J. T Princewill who is the King of Kalabari where the oil wells are located still insisted that they own the wells
Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by Bensonite: 1:06pm On Dec 28, 2013
DeCleff: This is Nigeria were anything can happen. And i want u to understand that we have a Bayelsa man as president and hope u know what that implies?

OBj invaded Benue & Bayelsa states but only Odi in Bayelsa is to be compensated. What of Benue?

We need a president thats not from Bayelsa or Rivers or even south south to detremine the truth about the matter.

Don't forget that King T. J. T Princewill who is the King of Kalabari where the oil wells are located still insisted that they own the wells
My friend if you have nothing to say just keep mute. I am from Rivers and very familiar with this two rivers and adjourning communities in dispute. Infact in 1990s their were so much fighting before they resolve to go to court. The kalabari are civilesed and also waiting for the 12th map but Amaechi decided to use it as propaganda against the president.
Op thank you. Sane mind will understand the contensions.

4 Likes

Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by oshyno(m): 1:11pm On Dec 28, 2013
How can Amaechi acuse GEJ when the matter has been in d court long b4 he became d president.

5 Likes

Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by Goddex: 9:10am On Dec 29, 2013
[size=16pt]Ameachi is such a shameless liar[/size]
Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by taharqa: 12:27pm On Dec 29, 2013
So this case has been on since d 1990s and payments were already made to Bayelsa since 2005 when GEJ was just a Dep Gov, yet Ameachi accuses GEJ of taking d Soku Oil fields to Bayelsa from Rivers! And d Suspreme Court already dismissed Rivers case since 2012, yet Ameachi says that this is d main reason he left d PDP to APC- to 'protect d interest of Rivers people' and get 'soku oil wells back'!!! Ameachi is a Bladdi LIAR; and has lost any of d small respect I had for him b4 now. No wonda nobody takes him serious. No wonda even d Kalabari Chiefs and Elders, were d said Wells are located, hv denied him on this his very Selfish fight with a fellow Ijaw President.... Ameachi wud be dealt with, mercilessly; d way a family member who betrayed d family and liased with Outsiders against d family for Selfish gains, is dealt with

6 Likes

Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by OmoTier1(m): 12:43pm On Dec 29, 2013
Teacher teacher... This pupil want to tell us what we already know...dey wan rewrite history for inside toilet oh lipsrsealed

Yemen dey smell... Nigerians know the truth, the lame duck President wants to rob Peter to pay Paul cool
Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by kel4soft: 3:05pm On Dec 29, 2013
@ OP

Thank you for bringing this topic. Soku is Kalabari, Rivers State not Bayelsa. If you have gone there. The boundary between them and Bayelsa is too far to cede the wells to Bayelsa. That said, don't forget the FG admitted that they made mistake in the map and that they will correct the map very soon. The arrangement was the the oil wells in contention should be put in a escrow account until after the map validation. 2009,2010, 11 and 12 funds were all channelled to that purse. What really baffles us was that these saved funds were all transfer to Bayelsa State with the endorsement of Mr. President.
Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by kel4soft: 3:08pm On Dec 29, 2013
Goddex: [size=16pt]Ameachi is such a shameless liar[/size]

Because you read this biased thread?

1 Like

Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by tsomething: 3:48pm On Dec 29, 2013
kel4soft: @ OP

Thank you for bringing this topic. Soku is Kalabari, Rivers State not Bayelsa. If you have gone there. The boundary between them and Bayelsa is too far to cede the wells to Bayelsa. That said, don't forget the FG admitted that they made mistake in the map and that they will correct the map very soon. The arrangement was the the oil wells in contention should be put in a escrow account until after the map validation. 2009,2010, 11 and 12 funds were all channelled to that purse. What really baffles us was that these saved funds were all transfer to Bayelsa State with the endorsement of Mr. President.

You are such a liar! Just now on another thread, you claimed how well you know Akwa Ibom and its history , now you are claiming of how well you know the soku oil well boundary.

If you were so sure of your claims why didn't you provide Rivers state government with documents that proves this your claims which would had been instrumental to aiding them win the case.

#stop lying on a public forum, you will be caught!!!

2 Likes

Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by dBard: 5:08pm On Dec 29, 2013
kel4soft:

Because you read this biased thread?

How is d thread biased ?? Pray tell..
Was d judgement u just read conjured up by d o.p or were u too lazy t look up d link

@o.p..questions;
1) wen is d 12th edition expected
2) wit d judgement, given that d money accrued was already bin paid t Bayelsa state, was status quo maintained n wat will d status quo b in dis instance..continuation of payment into d escrow acct or continued payment t B.Y state of money accrued.

Last word..don't see wat dis issue has t do wit GEJ seeing dis case has bin ongoing long bf he becamr prez.
Anyway. .it's all politics

2 Likes

Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by ThinkRait: 7:15pm On Dec 29, 2013
These boundary adjustments were done during Obasanjo's presidency.

2006 was the year when Odili was seriously gunning for the Presidency and Amaechi was the speaker of the Rivers house of assembly. Could it be that some assets were forfeited for political gains.

OBJ should write an Open letter explaining the controversial boundary adjustments during his tenure.
Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by hardywaltz(m): 9:35pm On Dec 29, 2013
The way Jonathenains spin the truth into lies is alarming these days.
Ameachi has neva claimed that he was the one who initiated the suit but his predecessor Dr. Peter Odili.
The case has dragged on since 2004/5 up till the Supreme court and therefore the revenue accrue able to Soku was fixed in an escrow account by OBJ and Yar'dua follow suit until the case was determined.
Jonathan followed suit when Sylvia was Governor and he and Ameachi were still pretending to be friends. GEJ released the funds as soon as a puppet Dickson was installed.

The Supreme court never handed over the oil wells to Bayelsa here is an excerpt on the judgement which i term important:

Ruling on July 10 on the matter brought by Rivers State, the Supreme Court had stated, “It is on account of the foregoing and because of the technical nature of the dispute and the claims of the parties that the court finds that the NBC as an authority with authorities and expertise, know-how in dealing with this matter, should have, once and for all, conducted an exhaustive exercise of delineating the disputed boundary, hence the long awaited 12th edition of the Administrative Map when completed soonest would have been of tremendous assistance in settling the lingering dispute. In the light of the observations I have clearly expressed above, I do not feel comfortable to grant the declarations sought until the NBC concludes its exercise of delineation of disputed boundary to finality. It will be futile and premature to determine the boundary of the two parties in the present circumstance.”

Why GEJ/Dickson/Bayelsa State are in a hurry to dip their hands in the escrow account that has been kept for so long is what we don't know.

If Ameachi was lying, Ruben Abati/Reno Okokiri/Doyin Okupke would have shredded Ameachi into pieces but since they know he is saying the truth they would rather attack his person leaving out the issues raised.

PS: Soku has always been in Kalabari kingdom up until the 11th map where all these confusion started by the NBC.
What i like most about all these is that way back while growing up in Rivers State (now Rivers/Bayelsa) the Kalabaris and the Okirikas neva considered themselves Ijaw until recently. I remember vividly well back in 1992 that Ada George was contesting for the Governorship of Rivers State and the negative campaign mounted against by the Ijaws coz of Abules disqualification by IBB.
I also remember the jubilation of the Kalabaris when the Ijaws where carved out of Rivers State in 1996 so as their (Ijaws) stranglehold on politics was finally broken.

Its just a matter of time when GEJs tenure is over be it 2015 or 2019 for Soku people to come back to their senses and an ethnic war will break out of that axis. I served in a neighboring village during the NYSC so i know how these guys think.

If you really really want to know the genesis of Ameachi's political travails you have to go back to 1992 when he supported an Okirika person against his Ikwerre brothers Awuse and Eric Aso.
Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by dapoetlover: 11:34am On Dec 30, 2013
The Declarations sought by the Plaintiff was what the Learned Judge was refering to. You can not claim to seeing a different meaning to what is already stated by 5 judges ruling independently!
Now to debunk your argument about the Kalabaris jubilation of having Ijaw dominance scuttled with the creation of Bayelsa (if truly you know these ethnic groups), pls tell the house IF OGBIA (Melford Okilo), Diette Spiff (Nembe) did not favour the Riverine as you claim.
Decades after they left and since the deliberate disintegration of the riverine so as to give a mojority to the upland, do the Kalabaris have the numerical strength to carry the Rivers political tuff without other adjoining IZON clans?
Let me also educate you on the present use of the word IZON or IJAW (if you like), WE ARE MADE UP OF Kalabari, Nembe, Okrika, Ogbia, Epie-Attissai, Biseni, Bile,Kolokuma-Opokuma, Brass, Gbarain etc. It is for political expediency that this nomenclature is used. To be contd
Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by najoke: 1:06pm On Dec 30, 2013
hardywaltz: The way Jonathenains spin the truth into lies is alarming these days.
Ameachi has neva claimed that he was the one who initiated the suit but his predecessor Dr. Peter Odili.
The case has dragged on since 2004/5 up till the Supreme court and therefore the revenue accrue able to Soku was fixed in an escrow account by OBJ and Yar'dua follow suit until the case was determined.
Jonathan followed suit when Sylvia was Governor and he and Ameachi were still pretending to be friends. GEJ released the funds as soon as a puppet Dickson was installed.

The Supreme court never handed over the oil wells to Bayelsa here is an excerpt on the judgement which i term important:

Ruling on July 10 on the matter brought by Rivers State, the Supreme Court had stated, “It is on account of the foregoing and because of the technical nature of the dispute and the claims of the parties that the court finds that the NBC as an authority with authorities and expertise, know-how in dealing with this matter, should have, once and for all, conducted an exhaustive exercise of delineating the disputed boundary, hence the long awaited 12th edition of the Administrative Map when completed soonest would have been of tremendous assistance in settling the lingering dispute. In the light of the observations I have clearly expressed above, I do not feel comfortable to grant the declarations sought until the NBC concludes its exercise of delineation of disputed boundary to finality. It will be futile and premature to determine the boundary of the two parties in the present circumstance.”

Why GEJ/Dickson/Bayelsa State are in a hurry to dip their hands in the escrow account that has been kept for so long is what we don't know.

If Ameachi was lying, Ruben Abati/Reno Okokiri/Doyin Okupke would have shredded Ameachi into pieces but since they know he is saying the truth they would rather attack his person leaving out the issues raised.

PS: Soku has always been in Kalabari kingdom up until the 11th map where all these confusion started by the NBC.
What i like most about all these is that way back while growing up in Rivers State (now Rivers/Bayelsa) the Kalabaris and the Okirikas neva considered themselves Ijaw until recently. I remember vividly well back in 1992 that Ada George was contesting for the Governorship of Rivers State and the negative campaign mounted against by the Ijaws coz of Abules disqualification by IBB.
I also remember the jubilation of the Kalabaris when the Ijaws where carved out of Rivers State in 1996 so as their (Ijaws) stranglehold on politics was finally broken.

Its just a matter of time when GEJs tenure is over be it 2015 or 2019 for Soku people to come back to their senses and an ethnic war will break out of that axis. I served in a neighboring village during the NYSC so i know how these guys think.

If you really really want to know the genesis of Ameachi's political travails you have to go back to 1992 when he supported an Okirika person against his Ikwerre brothers Awuse and Eric Aso.
\

^
bless u broda......these PDP,PRO GEJ E-rats think that can always fool us
Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by hardywaltz(m): 1:35pm On Dec 30, 2013
dapoetlover: The Declarations sought by the Plaintiff was what the Learned Judge was refering to. You can not claim to seeing a different meaning to what is already stated by 5 judges ruling independently!
Now to debunk your argument about the Kalabaris jubilation of having Ijaw dominance scuttled with the creation of Bayelsa (if truly you know these ethnic groups), pls tell the house IF OGBIA (Melford Okilo), Diette Spiff (Nembe) did not favour the Riverine as you claim.
Decades after they left and since the deliberate disintegration of the riverine so as to give a mojority to the upland, do the Kalabaris have the numerical strength to carry the Rivers political tuff without other adjoining IZON clans?
Let me also educate you on the present use of the word IZON or IJAW (if you like), WE ARE MADE UP OF Kalabari, Nembe, Okrika, Ogbia, Epie-Attissai, Biseni, Bile,Kolokuma-Opokuma, Brass, Gbarain etc. It is for political expediency that this nomenclature is used. To be contd
What the Judges simply said was that both parties should wait for the outcome of the NBC boundary adjustment in the 12th map.

You forgot to include Opobo/Nkoro, Bonny and Andoni coz they all now claim to be Izons. It was recently that the Kalabari's and Okirikas wholeheartedly adopted the Izon nationality, but like i said when the chips are down the Soku enclave been ceded to Bayelsa will backfire and if you know the Soku's very well you will know their thirst for violence is next to none.
Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by Bensonite: 2:10pm On Dec 30, 2013
hardywaltz:
What the Judges simply said was that both parties should wait for the outcome of the NBC boundary adjustment in the 12th map.

You forgot to include Opobo/Nkoro, Bonny and Andoni coz they all now claim to be Izons. It was recently that the Kalabari's and Okirikas wholeheartedly adopted the Izon nationality, but like i said when the chips are down the Soku enclave been ceded to Bayelsa will backfire and if you know the Soku's very well you will know their thirst for violence is next to none.
Bros,
If this judgment was given in 2012, while waiting for NBC to come up with 12th Map, why is Amaechi making so much noise about it since his problem started after they grounded his plane in April? The other time He fooled the chiefs to come out on a protest in the streets of Abuja. They have since realized themselves as his sole aim was nothing but political point.

1 Like

Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by dapoetlover: 6:40pm On Dec 30, 2013
Please permit me to quote the lead judge GALADIMA J.S.C. In his ruling
"However, the appropriate order to be made in the prevailing circumstance is that of striking out the Plaintiff’s suit, and I so order accordingly."

Please can you tell us what the plaintiff suit is and what reprieves were sought as explained by Fortune God'sSon Alfred in the article we quote or better still from the transcripts of the judgement.
"It is basic that in claims relating to declaratory reliefs, as herein, it is for the plaintiff to establish his claim on the strength of its claim and should not rely on the weakness of the defence; if any.See: Nwokidu v. Okanu (2010) 3 NWLR (Pt. 1181) 362, Dantata v. Mohammed (2000) 7 NWLR (Pt. 664) 176; Ekundayo v. Baruwa (1965) 2 NLR 211; Ali Ucha v. Martins Elechi (2012) MRSCJ Vol. 179 at 104; and Dumez Nig Ltd. v. Nwokhoba (2005) 18 NWLR (Pt. 1119) 361 at 373-374 where it is pronounced pungently that the burden of proof on the plaintiff in establishing declaratory reliefs to the satisfaction of the court is quite heavy. Such declaratory reliefs are not granted even on admission by the defendant where the plaintiff fails to establish his entitlements to the declarations by his own evidence."
Let us not get carried away with sentiments in our analysis of issues because majority of Nigerians DO NOT KNOW what is happening in Rivers State but would be quick to pass judgement when they read the propaganda being spread. Prior to 2006 who was collecting the revenues?
Please, let us be mindful of our assertions here because we will be held accountable by our concience when we lie just to score a cheap point.
Cheers.
PS.
Opobo and Nkoro can join the Ijaw ethnic group if they want to and we would gladly accept them. It doesn't mean we can't have seperate identities.afterall the Egbira man is a microcosm of the Yoruba race up until lately.

1 Like

Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by dapoetlover: 6:54pm On Dec 30, 2013
You can't tell us the Soku people are a violent lot, No! They are civilised well behaved citizens of Rivers State and that has been demonstrated over time since the Soku oil wells issue.

Akwa Ibom and Cross Rivers State had their fare share of oil well dispute and it was amicably. Resolved without this political brouhaha that Gov. Rotimi Amaechi is subjecting people to. It is wrong to cause disaffection between Nembe and Kalabari kingdoms when the matter can be amicably resolved. Amaechi hastily boycotted the appeal courts and moved straight to the Supreme court for perpetual injunction and this is the result.
We all await the 12th edition of the boundary adjustment and I pray all other related matters are resolved so that we all can go to sleep with both eyes closed.
Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by dapoetlover: 7:54am On Jan 03, 2014
We disagree with Amaechi on this deceitful claim that his political travails were as a result of his fight for the restoration of Kalabari oil wells. This to us is mere blackmail because the Kalabari oil wells did not remove the Chief G.U. Ake led PDP executives nor caused the conflicts in the Nigeria Governors’ Forum and grounded his jet plane on account of doubtful ownership.
We consider it most dishonorable that in a political feud between Governor Amaechi and President Jonathan, the governor would ask Kalabari-Ijaw people to support him blindly against the President.
May we ask, that with a yearly budget of over 400billion Naira in the past six years amounting to over N2.4 trillion, what meaningful projects has Governor Amaechi executed in Kalabari land despite its huge oil and gas resources for him to seek solidarity with Kalabari?
We want to put it on record that the boundary crises between Kalabari and Nembe or between Rivers State and Bayelsa State started in the 19th century up to the last administration of Rivers State, which led to the suspension of the 12th edition map produced by the Federal Surveyor General and the revenue of the disputed oil wells paid into escrow account by the Government of President Olusegun Obasanjo. It has been an on-going issue which is only now being escalated by self-seeking politicians.
Kalabari Chiefs, elders and leaders therefore refuse to be drawn into this imaginary display of support for Governor Amaechi. We rather call on the governor to stop his antagonist stance and support President Goodluck Jonathan. We believe that Rivers State is better placed with a South-South person as President rather than the Vice Presidential position. We therefore declare our unflinching support for President Goodluck Jonathan.''
Signed:
Chief (Sir) Hon. David Briggs
Chief Diepriye Douglas
Chief (Sir) Precious Elekima
Chief (Hon.) Ngo Briggs
Chief Charles Dokubo
Chief Bekinbo Soberekon
Chief Francis Ikiroma
Hon. Lolo Ibieneye
Amb. Sobomabo Jackrich
Hon. (Arc.) Eniye Braide
Hon. Adokiye Young-Harry
Mr. Egerton Sokari
Sotonye Ijuye-Dagogo
Dumo Lulu Briggs

1 Like

Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by ijawcitizen(m): 3:29pm On Jan 04, 2014
Re: Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers? by ijawcitizen(m): 3:36pm On Jan 04, 2014
dapoetlover: Please permit me to quote the lead judge GALADIMA J.S.C. In his ruling
"However, the appropriate order to be made in the prevailing circumstance is that of striking out the Plaintiff’s suit, and I so order accordingly."

Please can you tell us what the plaintiff suit is and what reprieves were sought as explained by Fortune God'sSon Alfred in the article we quote or better still from the transcripts of the judgement.
"It is basic that in claims relating to declaratory reliefs, as herein, it is for the plaintiff to establish his claim on the strength of its claim and should not rely on the weakness of the defence; if any.See: Nwokidu v. Okanu (2010) 3 NWLR (Pt. 1181) 362, Dantata v. Mohammed (2000) 7 NWLR (Pt. 664) 176; Ekundayo v. Baruwa (1965) 2 NLR 211; Ali Ucha v. Martins Elechi (2012) MRSCJ Vol. 179 at 104; and Dumez Nig Ltd. v. Nwokhoba (2005) 18 NWLR (Pt. 1119) 361 at 373-374 where it is pronounced pungently that the burden of proof on the plaintiff in establishing declaratory reliefs to the satisfaction of the court is quite heavy. Such declaratory reliefs are not granted even on admission by the defendant where the plaintiff fails to establish his entitlements to the declarations by his own evidence."
Let us not get carried away with sentiments in our analysis of issues because majority of Nigerians DO NOT KNOW what is happening in Rivers State but would be quick to pass judgement when they read the propaganda being spread. Prior to 2006 who was collecting the revenues?
Please, let us be mindful of our assertions here because we will be held accountable by our concience when we lie just to score a cheap point.
Cheers.
PS.
Opobo and Nkoro can join the Ijaw ethnic group if they want to and we would gladly accept them. It doesn't mean we can't have seperate identities. afterall the Egbira man is a microcosm of the Yoruba race up until lately.
It is ridiculous telling the Opobo & Nkoro people to ACCEPT or JOIN Ijaw ethnic group if they want. They are original Ijaw people for God's sake. We don't have dissident tribes within the Ijaw ethnic nationality, don't create one with your petty ignorance.

Maybe you should go and ask the Ijebu or Awori people if they'd like to join or become Yoruba people. Or better still, ask the Mbaise & Ngwa people if they'd like to become Igbos.

(1) (Reply)

APC Praise Daddy G.o For Dissociating Self, Church From Offensive Audio CD / Nigerian Army Is Not The Same As The Chadian Army / Pictures Of APC Delegates Fighting And Sharing Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.