Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

Hurricane Katrina - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Hurricane Katrina (5769 Views)

Hurricane Hits India(chennai) (flooded) It Is / If Hurricane Sandy Were To Happen In Nigeria / Why Does America Name Its Natural Disaster/crisis? (katrina, Irene) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hurricane Katrina by Imnakoya(m): 8:52pm On Sep 01, 2005
Many have heard of and/or have seen the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans (LA), Biloxi and Gulfport (MS) of USA.

See Grandiose Parlor:
http://grandioseparlor..com/2005/08/katrina-day-after.html, and
Jewels of the Jungle
http://jewelsnthejungle..com/2005/09/hurricane-katrina-video-tribute.html for more information.

My Questions:
Should Nigerians/Nigeria help out?

How can Nigerians/Nigeria help out?

Personally, I think those who can, should help, and the nation (Nigeria) should offer some assistance. In addition, the Nigerian embassy need to identify Nigerians affected by this storm and pick up the tabs for their relocatinn. This is what any decent country would do, and if indeed we are the (so-called) giant of Africa, we will do it!
Re: Hurricane Katrina by Seun(m): 2:56am On Sep 02, 2005
Yes, I agree that we should at least try to support the Nigerian citizens who have been affected by the storm. But wasn't there an evacuation exercise before it hit?
Re: Hurricane Katrina by Seun(m): 3:04am On Sep 02, 2005
Hurricane Katrina was a powerful tropical cyclone that caused extensive and severe damage in the southeastern United States and will likely be judged as the worst natural disaster ever to hit the United States. Disaster relief plans are in operation in the affected communities. Some experts predict one million people could become homeless as a result of the storm [1]. Currently, five million people are without power in the Gulf Coast region, and it may be two months before all power is restored [2].

The aftermath of the storm compounded problems. In particular, the breaching of some levees protecting the major city of New Orleans, Louisiana caused water to flow unabated into the city. There remains a humanitarian disaster, with many people stranded due to flooding [3]. Thirst, hunger, and lack of facilities are leading to lawlessness. The federal disaster area has been placed under the control of FEMA (under Michael Chertoff) and the National Guard; despite numerous reports in the media, there is no declaration of martial law. [4] The disruption of petroleum supplies, exports, and imports caused by the storm will likely have major global economic consequences.

Katrina may be the deadliest hurricane in the United States since the Galveston Hurricane of 1900, which killed around 8,000 (possibly up to 12,000) people. It may even surpass the deadliness of the Galveston hurricane: as of 7 PM CDT September 1, 2005, more than 20,000 are still reported missing. New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin stated on August 31 that the death toll of Katrina may be "in the thousands," which was confirmed by emergency responders through a statement by Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco on September 1. It will take weeks before accurate numbers are known, but Katrina is also expected to be the costliest natural disaster in United States history, exceeding Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina

The effect of Hurricane Katrina on New Orleans was disastrous. By August 30, 2005, one day after Hurricane Katrina made landfall, 80 percent of the city of New Orleans, in the U.S. state of Louisiana, was flooded, with some parts of the city under 20 feet (6 m) of water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_Hurricane_Katrina_on_New_Orleans
Re: Hurricane Katrina by hotangel2(f): 4:37am On Sep 02, 2005
Nigeria/Nigerians should help. At least if for nothing else, for the sake of Nigerians that were accepted and also for Nigeria to be promoted.
Re: Hurricane Katrina by DEKING3(m): 8:33am On Sep 02, 2005
It's really tragic but at least the government of Nigeria should try to donate some relief (monetary), you may think it's funny but I tell you, no matter how little, we would affect some lives.
For individual Nigerians I think what we can do is just to pray that God would encourage and ease the pains.
Re: Hurricane Katrina by vexxy(f): 12:34pm On Sep 02, 2005
Seun,

There was an evacuation before the storm but only the rich were able to leave. The ones who were without means were the ones stuck in the eye of the storm. Right now they have tried evacuating more citizens to the Superdome but it quickly became flooded as well.

They are now in the process of shipping people to other states but there is rape, looting, killing, etc going on. These people are in drastic need of assistance. Anything you all can do for anyone, Nigerians or not, would be greatly appreciated.

V
Re: Hurricane Katrina by Imnakoya(m): 1:42pm On Sep 02, 2005
Black River Eagle thanks Nairaland members.

He writes, via his blog Jewels in the Jungle @
http://jewelsnthejungle..com/2005/09/hurricane-katrina-video-tribute.html#comments:

...and a big Hat Tip and bow to the great Nigerian blog and forum participants who linked to our posts in their discussion topic:

Hurricane Katrina: Should Nigeria and Nigerians Help Out?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-1572.0.html

See my comment at Grandiose Parlor's "Katrina - The Day After" post for August 30th for my reaction to their efforts. I think that I can speak for all America in saying "Thank You, Nigeria".

His comments Via Grandiose Parlor @
http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=13051956&postID=112555006379815451:

Dear friends at Nairaland Forum,

Just knowing that you care so much for the plight of those poor people trapped in the misery and suffering of the aftermath of that catastrophic storm and the breakdown of human dignity in its wake...just knowing that you care is enough.

We don't need the money Nigeria, but thank you for even considering it. People along America's Gulf Coast just need that extension of humanity and friendship you have given from so far away with this small but significant act.

Your posting and comments and the images coming out of New Orleans and Biloxi and the Blues tune sung by the late John Lee Hooker moved me to tears today. I just broke down, sorry.

Thank you for caring. Thank You.
Re: Hurricane Katrina by Chxta(m): 4:21pm On Sep 02, 2005
Re: Hurricane Katrina by NSNA: 5:19pm On Sep 02, 2005
Hurricane Katrina words in mind [glow=red,2,300]Noah's Ark[/glow]'''
Re: Hurricane Katrina by otokx(m): 5:37pm On Sep 02, 2005
i think america is being rewarded for their wicked acts in iraq, afganistan and indeed nigera. one thing that strikes me though is that its the black people who are really worst hit. Did you see any white people among the looters in down time new orleans?
God bless Nigeria.
Re: Hurricane Katrina by obong(m): 5:37pm On Sep 02, 2005
@Chxta: There are many more like that, that I have seen. I don't know what is their wahala
Re: Hurricane Katrina by DEKING3(m): 5:46pm On Sep 02, 2005
@otokx, c'mmon bros, we are supposed to be sympathizing with the affected not judging the U.S govt. Show some pity.

From your post, one can easily tell you're not happy over Americas invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan but pls take it cool. I'm not saying that American govt is justified in any form to wage those wars, but humans were involved in all this horrible and humanly degrading situations. Some Americans were not in support of the war their govt waged but since the govt has the final say, what would they do. So many people in the world would support your disagreement anyday anytime over the American govt invasion.
But pls show some love for the bereaved, the poor, America and indeed the entire world.
Re: Hurricane Katrina by Seun(m): 5:58pm On Sep 02, 2005
I feel very sad when I hear about all these things happening in the US because we all look up to that country; we expect them to be able to predict when these things are going to take place and act to minimize the casualties, but it appears that they have been overwhelmed by this natural tragedy, to the extent that they can't even give an accurate estimate of the number of casualties.

Hurricane Katrina angry
Re: Hurricane Katrina by WesleyanA(f): 12:28am On Sep 03, 2005
otokx:

i think america is being rewarded for their wicked acts in iraq, afganistan and indeed nigera. one thing that strikes me though is that its the black people who are really worst hit. Did you see any white people among the looters in down time new orleans?
God bless Nigeria.

wth  . those are called natural disasters not G-d punishing people for wicked acts. are you trying to say all those people that died in the disaster were being punished? even the Kids? then G-d must be a MASS MURDERER. angry

how about the tsunami in Asia (sri lanka, india and so) those poor people are also being punished? things happen you know, they're natural  angry and we should feel sorry and bad not what you're saying. that's why america was bombed in 9/11 because of people (those stupid fake muslims) like you who say US needs to be punished for being too successful and even went on to risk their life to destroy what others used time, energy and what not to build.

nigeria needs to work hard and build something for people to be proud of instead of saying "white people needs to be hit" that's just ridiculous.

Nigeria's suffering cannot even be compared to an ant's share of America's problems so are you trying to say G-d's rewarding nigeria' evil too? you're funny and ironic in a funny way. hehe

back to the topic. Nigeria helping (financially and such) would be very ironic (you know what i'm talking about) but there are different ways to help. sending condolences e.t.c will be the best way to help i don't know of any other ways.

monetary donation should be out of the question. it will give nigeria a bad name because all those pics people see about nigeria (those starving people, and those conditions) are worse than the hurricane's effects. we should use what ever money to build our country and if we have excess like the US do, then we can consider helping others like the US do...get it?

and to seun: they do predict these stuff and even tell people to evacuate. some people just don't listen or don't have no place to go..... however, they can't do anything to stop a hurricane. no one can duh! estimating #of casualities is not possible yet probably since the thing is not soo over yet. there probably more casualities to go because the consequence of a disaster are usually more greater than the disasters themselves so all we need to do is pray if your're christian or hope that things get better.
Re: Hurricane Katrina by WesleyanA(f): 12:36am On Sep 03, 2005
typographical "fingergraphical" error. hehe
Re: Hurricane Katrina by vexxy(f): 12:42am On Sep 03, 2005
They have just sent buses down there to pick up 400 people to bring back up here to the DC area.  It is devastationof epic proportions 

I really don't think any country has done anything. . . . including just sending condolences.  But, not to many countries like us! cry
Re: Hurricane Katrina by WesleyanA(f): 12:49am On Sep 03, 2005
not many countries are financially stable except for a few european countries. those are the countries that should help monetarily. besides the USA is doing a good job helping themselves so they aren't really dependent on other countries as other countries are when they face such disasters.

i can't imagine what will happen if Nigeria faces such. it'll be bad, horribe. sad
Re: Hurricane Katrina by vexxy(f): 12:54am On Sep 03, 2005
True. I wasn't expecting monetary support from other countries although that is a hot item being debated on the radio right now.

I believe that we really need to pull it together over here. We have celebrities that make millions upon millions of dollars for a movie. They should dig deep and support those in need financially.

They are privileged to have that much money and with great privilege comes great responsibility. I'm truly looking to see what they are going to do. It seems that they are only good and insulting the President. angry lipsrsealed
Re: Hurricane Katrina by DEKING3(m): 12:25pm On Sep 03, 2005
Alright then. Since the U.S is regarded as the super power and we feel African countries cannot help out financially, there's one thing can't ceny doing, that's "Pray that God would console and comfort them."
Re: Hurricane Katrina by vexxy(f): 1:47pm On Sep 03, 2005
Prayers are not to be taken lightly. I deeply appreciate them, King. I stand in agreement with you.
Re: Hurricane Katrina by layi(m): 2:24pm On Sep 03, 2005
This is like the third time hurricane katrina is hiitin those regions (mississippi, new orleans etc).
I think the place should be deserted and the people absolved into other states.
But it's surprisin, the US can be so fast in enterin iraq but slow in dealin with this.
I just pray that God comfort those affected.
"I pray that this setback would only be a setup for their comeback in Jesus Name"
Re: Hurricane Katrina by DEKING3(m): 2:29pm On Sep 03, 2005
AMEN
Re: Hurricane Katrina by nddy(m): 3:08pm On Sep 03, 2005
God bless Nigeria.

Its like you are happy about what happened even though you claim not to. Too, bad though, You gat to understand America's reason for going into the war in Iraq and Afgan before you write down your feelings. Are you racist or something? white people were also affected but they were of a much smaller percentage.

Why would such a statement be allowed? There are Americans in here. Basically myself, please dont make such a public statment.
Re: Hurricane Katrina by nddy(m): 3:17pm On Sep 03, 2005
American in this thread where is our Ethnocentric pride ? you just let that statement be ?
Re: Hurricane Katrina by terry(m): 3:44pm On Sep 03, 2005
@ Nddy relax,

Who is talking about Nigerians affected or not, Nobody cares what race you are, everyone is needs help at this crucial point in tyme, this is no tyme to relate what happened any where in the world to America. We are talking of the future of America (melting point) not one nigeria bull crap.
Re: Hurricane Katrina by vexxy(f): 4:23pm On Sep 03, 2005
I really don't wish to have this tread turned into a political argument of the international affairs of the US. Right now there are people suffering insurmountable grief.

Like I said, King, your prayers are welcomed.
Re: Hurricane Katrina by Bibi(m): 6:50pm On Sep 03, 2005
With the Fallaout of the Katrina storm in New Orlean etc, there has been debate about whether the US should accept contributions from outside.

I want to narrow this topic:
- Should the US accept donations from the Arab countries, especially Syria, Saudi, Libya.
- Should the US accept donations from North Korea
- Should the US acept donations from Osama bin Laden?

if yes, why
if not, why
Re: Hurricane Katrina by hotangel2(f): 8:44pm On Sep 03, 2005
U.S has declined every offer to help to the Katrnia victims. SO i guess there's no need as to why we should crack our brains on whether or not U.S will accept from the people u mentioned.
Re: Hurricane Katrina by Missworld(f): 12:53am On Sep 04, 2005
You are missing Florida. Even though the storm was only a tropical storm or category 1 storm when it hit Florida, many people was affected by it. In fact there are some Florida residents without light as of today. My light was out for only 3 days anyways I'm only trying to remind u all of Florida among the Katrina's victims. Nigeria among the helpers? Don't get me wrong but we need to face our more serious problems in that country. We Nigerians need help from every angle especially the Divine intervention.
Re: Hurricane Katrina by vexxy(f): 2:18am On Sep 04, 2005
Yes, Missworld, you are correct. I believe 11 people lost their lives in Florida due to Katrina. I am glad to hear that you are alright.

V
Re: Hurricane Katrina by medube(m): 2:58am On Sep 04, 2005
Finally, the U.S. has bowed its head and started accepting donations from other nations. The funny thing is, though Im sorry to say it, but I believe because majority of people hit are African Americans, the US government delayed in sending food and supplies. They even took time in sending troops for evacuation, but Bush doesnt waste time in sending troops to war in other countries for the fight for freedom smiley

I feel sad for the people of New Orleans and Louisiana, but I'm happy in a way the American People and others around the world are getting to see what George Bush is really made of.

vexxy:

I really don't wish to have this tread turned into a political argument of the international affairs of the US. Right now there are people suffering insurmountable grief.

You cant have this thread not turn into a political argument vexxy because the whole news media have turned it into a political argument. The whole people have turned it into a comparison chart of all American Government's reactions. Though you are right, people are suffering, buts its sad Mr Bush is really taking his time as if things were ok. I wonder if he watches the same news that we watch... As always CNN have turned the whole thing into another reality tv show which is ON 24hrs a day.

It's a great pity...  sad
Re: Hurricane Katrina by vexxy(f): 3:17am On Sep 04, 2005
yes, CNN has changed it into their own little thing but that should not make us lose focus on what it is, a tragedy. Not a platform for politics. Let's deal with that after this has been solved.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where Can I Find A Thrift Store In Lagos? / When Last Did You Sight A Rainbow In Nigeria And Where? / Amazing Anatomies: People With Stunning Physiques

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.