Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) (5007 Views)

I Have A Hometown! / What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? / When Last Did You Visit Your Hometown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 2:34pm On Jan 01, 2014
stefikal: I like the lion masquerade cool

lol so do I.
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:14pm On Jan 01, 2014
Dannylux: I had the opportunity of travelling to village after 2 years, I had good experience this time. I'm from somewhere in Anambra state..

In my village, we do celebrate what we call Abatete day. It's a ceremony of our village and It's annually held on 26th of December.
I've always wanted to share the pictures but it hasn't been possible owing to poor network coverage (Airtel) and the size of the photos.

Thanks to Deejah_Harry1 who helped me on how to reduce the size of the pictures without altering the quality of the pictures.

I've been attending most of it but this year was different because I participated actively. I made sure I got most of what happened in pictures which I'm gonna share with you guys.

The event was so fun and memorable, I love our African traditions/cultures.
I'll be posting pictures of the masquerades in ascending order. cheesy
Obele mmuo (smaller masquerades) and Nnukwu/Oke mmuo (Bigger masquerades)

So,you are from Abatete ? Interesting. If you had passed through Umuoji on 27th you would have seen the amount of nmuo opia osisi that came out at Nkwor Umuoji and cause a traffic jam that lasted up to two hours. Umuoji Igwulube Okodu,nmili manyuli oku!
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:22pm On Jan 01, 2014
homesteady: I've always wanted to see a masquerade!
Danny do you know How many people are inside that lion's costume?

This is the type of threads that Pagan_Naija will like grin

Its against tradition to say someone is inside,who nor how many people. Don't desecrate the traditions of Umu-Okodu!
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:34pm On Jan 01, 2014
Dannylux: I had the opportunity of travelling to village after 2 years, I had good experience this time. I'm from somewhere in Anambra state..

In my village, we do celebrate what we call Abatete day. It's a ceremony of our village and It's annually held on 26th of December.
I've always wanted to share the pictures but it hasn't been possible owing to poor network coverage (Airtel) and the size of the photos.

Thanks to Deejah_Harry1 who helped me on how to reduce the size of the pictures without altering the quality of the pictures.

I've been attending most of it but this year was different because I participated actively. I made sure I got most of what happened in pictures which I'm gonna share with you guys.

The event was so fun and memorable, I love our African traditions/cultures.
I'll be posting pictures of the masquerades in ascending order. cheesy
Obele mmuo (smaller masquerades) and Nnukwu/Oke mmuo (Bigger masquerades)

What da fuq is" Abatete day" ? Some kind of colonial inspired festival or what ? Why can't Abatete be original ? You people stole the concept of "Uzo-Iyi" Umuoji and name it "Abatete day" just like you out of the blue start calling your selves "Igwulube Okodu". Meanwhile,you don't even know the story behind the name.

Nkpor reffer to themselves as Obodo dike and I asked them who made them "dike" and they got lost. Umuoji remain the lion of Umu-Okodu that's why we are in the middle because "onye na ebu ogidi isi ya akia aka". We stopped the fight between Abatete and Nkpor and relocated Nkpo to their present location,hence the name "Nkpor"(Ndi akpoghalu akpogha). We chased Abatete back and ask the to come through us if they wanna fight Nkpor.
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:37pm On Jan 01, 2014
Check out the Enchantment of Igwulube Okodu thread on culture section....enjoy.
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jan 01, 2014
wow.. lol.. the lion just made me remember wong fei hun... lol... nice bro

1 Like

Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 7:58pm On Jan 01, 2014
lol Dude, you needa sort yourself out. I don't understand shyte you saying, not like I wanna though.

I'm from Abatete.. whatever surrounds the event is non of my business. I came, I saw, I got involved. Shikena.

3 Likes

Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by homesteady(m): 8:01pm On Jan 01, 2014
Dannylux: lol Dude, you needa sort yourself out. I don't understand shyte you saying, not like I wanna though.

I'm from Abatete.. whatever surrounds the event is non of my business. I came, I saw, I got involved. Shikena.
grin grin I was also lost by what he was saying grin
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 8:10pm On Jan 01, 2014
homesteady:
grin grin I was also lost by what he was saying grin

I could comprehend him if I wanted to, but he seemed impolite and stuffed with self-inflated ego. So I simply ran over his post.
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:30pm On Jan 01, 2014
How could you comprehend something that is beyond your comprehension ? I'm not in anyway miffed by your ignorance. The only thing I can deduct from your reaction is that you don't know nada about your history. And where does that place you ? It places you where you are nobody! Yes,I'm a full blooded Okoduan and I wear it on my forehead because I'm proud to come from there. Why don't you use these time you are wasting on Nairaland and go read up "Abatete Ezeogu"

Atulu mulu ebunu gba aka nwa!
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Vivly(f): 9:33pm On Jan 01, 2014
^ ^ Na fight?
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 10:03pm On Jan 01, 2014
lol this guy is serious. I'll do just that.
Thanks
Happy New Year.
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:01am On Jan 02, 2014
Vivly: ^ ^ Na fight?

Cut through the bull and tell him you have the "hots" on him. Yes,you have a crush on the Op!
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Nobody: 4:43am On Jan 02, 2014
Odenigbo Aroli: What da fuq is" Abatete day" ? Some kind of colonial inspired festival or what ? Why can't Abatete be original ? You people stole the concept of "Uzo-Iyi" Umuoji and name it "Abatete day" just like you out of the blue start calling your selves "Igwulube Okodu". Meanwhile,you don't even know the story behind the name.

Nkpor reffer to themselves as Obodo dike and I asked them who made them "dike" and they got lost. Umuoji remain the lion of Umu-Okodu that's why we are in the middle because "onye na ebu ogidi isi ya akia aka". We stopped the fight between Abatete and Nkpor and relocated Nkpo to their present location,hence the name "Nkpor"(Ndi akpoghalu akpogha). We chased Abatete back and ask the to come through us if they wanna fight Nkpor.

[img]http://zeenike.files./2013/06/what-is-this-one-saying.jpg?w=300&h=300[/img]

1 Like

Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Nobody: 4:47am On Jan 02, 2014
The lion masquerade particularly is very majestic.
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Nobody: 4:48am On Jan 02, 2014
Odenigbo Aroli:

Cut through the bull and tell him you have the "hots" on him. Yes,you have a crush on the Op!
how is this any of your effing business?? undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 9:41am On Jan 02, 2014
I never expected things to turn out this way. lol

Easy, Bro.

Thanks for your comments.
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Nobody: 9:42am On Jan 02, 2014
cry cry cry cry
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jan 02, 2014
Odenigbo Aroli:

Finally, someone that's thinking what I'm thinking. cool
Dan, nice pictures.
Seems you enjoyed yourself mighty well.
Happy new year.
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 12:48pm On Jan 02, 2014
Vessi:
Finally, someone that's thinking what I'm thinking. cool
Dan, nice pictures.
Seems you enjoyed yourself mighty well.
Happy new year.

She wasn't the only female who commented. This is an unwelcome speculation.
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by AbuMikey(m): 12:54pm On Jan 02, 2014
Odenigbo Aroli:

Oga, leave weed alone

Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jan 02, 2014
Dannylux:

She wasn't the only female who commented. This is an unwelcome speculation.
tongue
Take it or leave it
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 1:31pm On Jan 02, 2014
Vessi: tongue
Take it or leave it

Okay.
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Vivly(f): 1:40pm On Jan 02, 2014
I juss weak.

1 Like

Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by homesteady(m): 2:09pm On Jan 02, 2014
grin
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:39pm On Jan 02, 2014
Abu Mikey:

Oga, leave weed alone

Slap yourself for saying that!
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:41pm On Jan 02, 2014
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by homesteady(m): 4:57pm On Jan 02, 2014
Odenigbo I like your name! It reminds me of Prof Odenigbo(Master) in Half of a yellow sun!
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:25pm On Jan 02, 2014
homesteady: Odenigbo I like your name! It reminds me of Prof Odenigbo(Master) in Half of a yellow sun!

Guy,no kasala. I'm a real traditionist and my offsprings will follow suit. That name Odenigbo Aroli has a deep meaning! Tuale!
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by AbuMikey(m): 8:02pm On Jan 02, 2014
Odenigbo Aroli:

Slap yourself for saying that!

I just did gringrin

Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jan 02, 2014
grin
Abu Mikey:

I just did gringrin

Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by emmabest2000(m): 9:51am On Jan 07, 2014
Odenigbo Aroli:

So,you are from Abatete ? Interesting. If you had passed through Umuoji on 27th you would have seen the amount of nmuo opia osisi that came out at Nkwor Umuoji and cause a traffic jam that lasted up to two hours. Umuoji Igwulube Okodu,nmili manyuli oku!
Dudu I bu onye Okodu ? Kedu maka mmeme UZOIYI ?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Know, Yoruba Race Originated From Benin Kingdom? / Is Opa Oranmiyan A God That Worship? (picture) / Child Naming In Yoruba Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.