Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,083 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) (5013 Views)

I Have A Hometown! / What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? / When Last Did You Visit Your Hometown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 6:14pm On Dec 31, 2013
I had the opportunity of travelling to village after 2 years, I had good experience this time. I'm from somewhere in Anambra state..

In my village, we do celebrate what we call Abatete day. It's a ceremony of our village and It's annually held on 26th of December.
I've always wanted to share the pictures but it hasn't been possible owing to poor network coverage (Airtel) and the size of the photos.

Thanks to Deejah_Harry1 who helped me on how to reduce the size of the pictures without altering the quality of the pictures.

I've been attending most of it but this year was different because I participated actively. I made sure I got most of what happened in pictures which I'm gonna share with you guys.

The event was so fun and memorable, I love our African traditions/cultures.
I'll be posting pictures of the masquerades in ascending order. cheesy
Obele mmuo (smaller masquerades) and Nnukwu/Oke mmuo (Bigger masquerades)

Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by xynerise: 6:17pm On Dec 31, 2013
Show us the photos na undecided

I can only see two jobless boys tongue
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 6:18pm On Dec 31, 2013
The above are the smaller masquerades.
They are basically dancers

The below is also in the category of smaller masquerades. This one loves pursuing girls lipsrsealed

Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 6:20pm On Dec 31, 2013
The Chief and the Lolo

Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 6:23pm On Dec 31, 2013
Now the category for the bigger masquerades lol

This one has a semblance of a bull.

Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 6:24pm On Dec 31, 2013
More..

Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 6:26pm On Dec 31, 2013
The lion.. The best of all

lovely!

Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 6:28pm On Dec 31, 2013
More..

Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by mazizitonene(m): 6:28pm On Dec 31, 2013
Well, emm...emm...I must comment sha...this looks like FP material I never check am well sha grin
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Nobody: 7:08pm On Dec 31, 2013
nice pic
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Vivly(f): 7:35pm On Dec 31, 2013
Nice pics Danny. You really enjoyed your Christmas.
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 7:54pm On Dec 31, 2013
mazizi tonene: Well, emm...emm...I must comment sha...this looks like FP material I never check am well sha grin

Aboki cheesy
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 7:54pm On Dec 31, 2013
flawless..S:
nice pic

Thanks smiley
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 7:55pm On Dec 31, 2013
Vivly: Nice pics Danny. You really enjoyed your Christmas.

Delivered.. just like I promised. wink
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by homesteady(m): 8:00pm On Dec 31, 2013
I've always wanted to see a masquerade!
Danny do you know How many people are inside that lion's costume?

This is the type of threads that Pagan_Naija will like grin
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 8:05pm On Dec 31, 2013
homesteady: I've always wanted to see a masquerade!

Two persons!

The anterior and the posterior. lol

He's yet to come. grin
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Vivly(f): 8:07pm On Dec 31, 2013

You mean you've never seen a masquerade? cheesy shocked shocked. Don't they do festivals in your village?
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Nobody: 8:12pm On Dec 31, 2013
good question
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by homesteady(m): 8:20pm On Dec 31, 2013
Dannylux:

Two persons!

The anterior and the posterior. lol

He's yet to come. grin

What of the bull?
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by homesteady(m): 8:24pm On Dec 31, 2013
Vivly: You mean you've never seen a masquerade? cheesy shocked shocked. Don't they do festivals in your village?

I've only seen on TV!
they don't use masquerades in my village festivals!
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 9:06pm On Dec 31, 2013
homesteady:

What of the bull?

Same applies for the lion and bull.

That's one of the reasons why they are identified as the bigger masquerades.
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 9:07pm On Dec 31, 2013
Vivly: You mean you've never seen a masquerade? cheesy shocked shocked. Don't they do festivals in your village?

How many did you see this Holiday?
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 9:14pm On Dec 31, 2013
homesteady:

I've only seen on TV!
they don't use masquerades in my village festivals!

lol this is serious?

I was lucky to get a close view of these masquerades because they are not the vicious and destructive type. The ones we see on New years are totally different.
You don't dare stand at close range, not to mention being caught taking their pictures.

They are the reason we Igbos say "Anaghi a kwuu ofu ebe ekili/enene mmuo" you don't stand at a spot while watching masquerades. lol
For your own sake!
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by homesteady(m): 9:22pm On Dec 31, 2013
Dannylux:

lol this is serious?

I was lucky to get a close view of these masquerades because they are not the vicious and destructive type. The ones we see on New years are totally different.
You don't dare stand at close range, not to mention being caught taking their pictures.

They are the reason we Igbos say "Anaghi a kwuu ofu ebe ekili/enene mmuo" you don't stand at a spot while watching masquerades. lol
For your own sake!
Can't somebody fight all this wicked masquerades? grin
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Vivly(f): 9:23pm On Dec 31, 2013
Dannylux:

How many did you see this Holiday?
Saw two on the way to the village. I've not attended any festival yet. Maybe till then cuz they always show up.
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 9:44pm On Dec 31, 2013
Vivly: Saw two on the way to the village. I've not attended any festival yet. Maybe till then cuz they always show up.

Hope the ones in your village are mild? lol
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 9:45pm On Dec 31, 2013
homesteady:
Can't somebody fight all this wicked masquerades? grin

Of course you can. All to your own detriment.
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by homesteady(m): 10:00pm On Dec 31, 2013
Dannylux:

Of course you can. All to your own detriment.
Will they kill me? sad shocked
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Nobody: 11:06pm On Dec 31, 2013
Ah your village masquerade get k-leg... lipsrsealed
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Danhumprey: 11:56pm On Dec 31, 2013

So you never see masquerade face to face before? Na wa o!gringringringrin
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by Dannylux: 12:34am On Jan 01, 2014
Khalessi: Ah your village masquerade get k-leg... lipsrsealed

They were dancing. undecided
Re: How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) by stefikal(f): 4:43am On Jan 01, 2014
I like the lion masquerade cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Opa Oranmiyan A God That Worship? (picture) / Swede In Need Of Help With Nigerian Pidgin / Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.