Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,103 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! - Religion (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! (36746 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 06, 2014
JonesK:

You don't get it. Even if he cannot prove or state to you who or what designed this intelligent designer, that does not in any way nullify the fact that there is an intelligent designer. And also, if this intelligent designer exists, a being who created the universes and everything in them, I really doubt he gives a rat's ass as to whether you think he exists or not.
You don't get it. Even if he can or can't prove that there's an intelligent designer, that does not in anyway nullify the fact that the acclaimed intelligent designer must have an ORIGIN, thus theory of the infinity of 'intelligent designers' continues. grin grin
And since this intelligent designer 's can't be proven to exist, i don't give a rat's ass about them.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by LordNico(m): 6:50pm On Jan 06, 2014
As an Atheist, I can relate to the OP. I would have told him to just go
with it as far as he can, till his mom learns to deal with it. I still join my
family to attend their church and it's programs because those times are
the only times except for holidays where everyone can come together. I
may not share the same beliefs as they do, but I won't let that interfere
with my family time. My love for my family is greater than childish
arguments over why I don't believe. A church member once approached
me and I told him I was an Atheist, and he said he'd observed I don't act
like a member even though I was born in the church and both my
parents and their siblings are leaders/elders in the church. With time,
more people knew I'm atheist, and learned to live with it.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by peterphd(m): 7:12pm On Jan 06, 2014
KenGali:

You have only read a part of my post, suggest you read the earlier ones from which they arose.

To cut you short, the evidence is the fact that till today, we have not seen any evidence of a natural process that independently designs consciously and randomly to create intelligent design. Not even evolution, as it requires an initialisation and seeding, not to talk of the algorithmic guiding the use and disuse or survival ( which are all optimisation processes).

Both you and the rat you talk of, are too complex to be created by chance, hence are evidences of the work of a conscious and purposeful being. In all our human intelligence and capability, even we are yet to design biological machine, talkless of randomized chance. Further evidence is that in unregulated form, the world we live in is very volatile, from the Universe or multi-verse, to the sun and asteroids and stars, to our moon and our planet. The probability of the stability we enjoy today in our world is near impossible to be ascribed to chance.

Rubbish! Who made sand dunes in the deserts? Who make snowflakes ? These are few things that can look "intelligently designed" without anyone or do humans make sand dunes? Give evidence for the intelligent designer that created earthquakes and tsunamis
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by peterphd(m): 7:17pm On Jan 06, 2014
KenGali:

This is not different from what I have said. In all our years of civilization we are only cloning, copying biological machines. Do not even over extend the cloning thing because as of now humans cannot yet create a single cell. We are only playing around with cell division of existing cells. It was only last year that for the first time, the nucleus of a cell was replaced successfully with an artificial one. It is not to say that tomorrow we may not create biological machines based on organic matter, rather the point is that there making is complex and should not be trivialized to chance. A designer took care of the complexity.
If in all this complexity you want to believe that biological machines were created by chance. You can as well believe that one day random chance will turn the soil in your garden into a Rolls Royce. Even the famous alchemist were smarter than this.

Humans cannot create a cell? Guy, viruses have synthesised.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jan 06, 2014
i need that pdf file too, please send it to me
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by UyiIredia(m): 9:05pm On Jan 06, 2014
peterphd:

Humans cannot create a cell? Guy, viruses have synthesised.

No. They've been reengineered but not synthesized from the scratch as you imply. Virus synthesis (talkless of cellular) will be massively hard: a team of biotech guys are even having ptoblems using biochemicals that do adding job.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by peterphd(m): 9:17pm On Jan 06, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

No. They've been reengineered but not synthesized from the scratch as you imply. Virus synthesis (talkless of cellular) will be massively hard: a team of biotech guys are even having ptoblems using biochemicals that do adding job.

Wrong bro. Can't share links now because I'm on mobile.google "chemical synthesis of polio virus". The science website is sciencemag.org

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by alpontif(m): 6:22am On Jan 07, 2014
@ the OP, I understand what you may be going through. You are torn between staying true to your BELIEFS/CONVICTIONS and making your mother happy at the same time.

It can be very frustrating.

But @OP, you have to know that while there is nothing wrong in having personal convictions, especially beliefs that according to the subject's perception do not lead tany Hellish kind of destination in the afterlife/death, then it follows that asserting your personal convictions in an insensitive manner as you have portrayed will only lead to sorrow for those who care about you, ultimately affecting the quality of your own social existence.

This is where lies the difference between Wisdom and Intelligence. An Intelligent man is not necessarrily a wise one, and he will always want to assert and show the brilliance of his intelligence, to the immediate detriment of his social acquaintances, and long term detriment to himself.

A wise man is necessarilly an intelligent man, he knows when to display his intelligence, and when to act like a fool, you may call it politics, but there is wisdom in delibrate folly.

Our elders say the fact that you prostrate for a dwarf, does not mean he is taller than you, for the sake of peaceful coexistence, it is sometimes advisable to act contrary to your beliefs. It makes no difference to you if you shout it to the whole world that you are an atheist, but it affects those who care about you, and since atheism is not a religion, what is the point in evangelizing it like a religion?

A proverb says, too much brilliance, too much knowledge, is the reason why Ajao, the rightful heir was denied the throne of his fathers by the kingmakers. Temper your Assertive atheism with wisdom, and make your mother happy by following her religion, you dont have to believe it, just imagine it as a cultural thing, the same way you eat with your right hand, even when you might as well rightly eat with your left.

On atheism: It is very easy to believe there is no God, any school boy with basic common sense will come to that conclusion. Existing religious systems are also to blame for this, and the increasing rate of disbelief among the ''intelligentsia'' or clueless pseudointellectuals seeking to bask in the adoration of people at being so strange. Our religious systems do not usually encourage analystical questioning, or even superficial reasoning, every slight question has to be supported with answers from ''Scriptures'' we are told to believe, without any form of tangible evidence, hook ,line and sinker.

The perceptions of world systems also, and the seemingly contradictory nature of the God entity vis-a-vis actuall occurences in the world also do not aid the belief in a God. People cannot process how as upposed mercifully kind God will permit suffreings that they, even as insignificantly powerful humans will want to prevent.

The ''reasoning'' youth most like weighs all this religious chaos, and analytically throws out the baby, with the bath water.

It is not wrong to question, but it is wrong to conclude, when we do not, and cannot possibly have all the infrmation neccessary to process the validity or otherwise of the God concept. This is the classic mistake pronounced atheists make, they feel they have seen it all, and religious fanatics and fanatiscm do not even help matters.

Whether you understand me or not, have an open mind, reason, analyse, but know that light can exist as a particle, and as a wave, at the same time.

I personally do not believe in religions, funnily , I belive in God.

The obvious question folks ask is how did i arrive at the above conclusion without a religious scripture to serve as the basis to accept and worship God, it is their belief that you must compulsorily have a religion, before you can believe in, or worship or pray to God. which God?........

Do not let your mind be trapped in the same staid streotype, liberate your mind, think outside the box.

In conclusion most atheists think the are atheist because they do not belive in religious systems, practices or concepts, but they raely pause to consider the driving force behind their quest to unravel the truth of their existential belief in God, or the spiritual.

I do not have the answers, It is personal to every individual, like dreams. You dtram, but you cannot play out the dream to your audience, they ask for proof, they ask for evidence, you cannot present this, you cannot prove it beyond reasonable doubt the graphical details of your dreams, but you are convinced beyond any doubt, that you dream. That, there, is the God Concept for you.

A word is adequate for the wise.

2 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by EreluY(f): 7:45am On Jan 07, 2014
scarred9jan:

And what are these evidences? And pls don't insult my intelligence that it includes my waking up everyday, rats wake up every morning and I don't see them praying to god. And you guys really make funny, near impossible examples to illustrate ur arguments.. What's with the whole waking up in a desert and finding building (whether whitewashed or plastered with a new paint job). We are using logical points here to discuss and you come up with funny stories. Well, am not surprised.. If you can believe in god then its only fair you buttress ur ideas with far-fetched examples.

[b]What is lacking amongst the majority of Nigerians is critical thinking and rationality. The other day, I met a Nigerian Professor of Geology and we got talking about his current work which fascinated me because he was talking about rocks and stones dating back to millions of years. When I asked him if scientific dating of such objects could ever be known, he 'Charismatically', covingcingly explained the possibility. Minutes after, we started talking about religion and I realised how passionate he was about his Christian religion and the delusionary born again farce. I then asked him, "If the rock samples you were studying have been in existence for billions of years, suggesting that this earth has been existence for billions of years, isn't that a negation of biblical calculations for the age of the earth which some put at approximately 6,000 years"? Is science right and the bible wrong? Or is the bible right and science wrong?" The response of this Nigerian Professor of Geology, in an age when Oxford, Stanford, Yale, Harvard and Cambridge universities are running science and religion programmes, is: "Science is Science, Religion is Religion". Scientific claims do not affect my beliefs." I excused the ignoramus and walked away. It was pointless taking the conversation any further.[/b]

4 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by onetrack(m): 8:49am On Jan 07, 2014
alpontif:

It is not wrong to question, but it is wrong to conclude, when we do not, and cannot possibly have all the infrmation neccessary to process the validity or otherwise of the God concept. This is the classic mistake pronounced atheists make, they feel they have seen it all, and religious fanatics and fanatiscm do not even help matters.

I think you mistake what atheists actually think. Most of us are in fact agnostic. We do not believe we have all the information necessary to process the god concept--that is what religious people do more than us. We want more evidence and we are actually looking for more evidence, which is why atheists in general know more about the world religions than non-atheists.

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by LordAdam: 9:22am On Jan 07, 2014
I hate the AntiSpamBots.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by JonesK: 9:58am On Jan 07, 2014
LordAdam: I hate the AntiSpamBots.

It's lucky it isn't human. I would have placed a hit on it. That Damn thing banned me twice for a single post.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by onetrack(m): 10:43am On Jan 07, 2014
JonesK:

It's lucky it isn't human. I would have placed a hit on it. That Damn thing banned me twice for a single post.

I was also a victim of AntiSpamBot 2 days ago.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 11:09am On Jan 07, 2014
scarred9jan:

Do you know what empathy even means, cos if you did you wouldn't have posted this crap
U do not know the meaning of empathy, cos if u did u will not post crap as a reply to my post
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by SIRANDREWS: 3:49pm On Jan 07, 2014
KenGali:

You have only read a part of my post, suggest you read the earlier ones from which they arose.

To cut you short, the evidence is the fact that till today, we have not seen any evidence of a natural process that independently designs consciously and randomly to create intelligent design. Not even evolution, as it requires an initialisation and seeding, not to talk of the algorithmic guiding the use and disuse or survival ( which are all optimisation processes).

Both you and the rat you talk of, are too complex to be created by chance, hence are evidences of the work of a conscious and purposeful being. In all our human intelligence and capability, even we are yet to design biological machine, talkless of randomized chance. Further evidence is that in unregulated form, the world we live in is very volatile, from the Universe or multi-verse, to the sun and asteroids and stars, to our moon and our planet. The probability of the stability we enjoy today in our world is near impossible to be ascribed to chance.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by SIRANDREWS: 4:00pm On Jan 07, 2014
if u need the eBook, send me a PM
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jan 07, 2014
Buzzonix:
You don't get it. Even if he can or can't prove that there's an intelligent designer, that does not in anyway nullify the fact that the acclaimed intelligent designer must have an ORIGIN, thus theory of the infinity of 'intelligent designers' continues. grin grin
And since this intelligent designer 's can't be proven to exist, i don't give a rat's ass about them.

Like I told you the fallacy of asking secondary question when you have not exhausted the primary question is a well known one and awfully flawed logic. The answer to your secondary question is irrelevant to the primary question of the existence of an intelligent designer. You are just derailing the argument. If you have exhaustively accepted that you see evidence of an intelligent designer, then we can move on to his nature as a new topic.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 07, 2014
peterphd:

Wrong bro. Can't share links now because I'm on mobile.google "chemical synthesis of polio virus". The science website is sciencemag.org

I can only laugh at you.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jan 07, 2014
onetrack:

I think you mistake what atheists actually think. Most of us are in fact agnostic. We do not believe we have all the information necessary to process the god concept--that is what religious people do more than us. We want more evidence and we are actually looking for more evidence, which is why atheists in general know more about the world religions than non-atheists.

I beg to disagree. The classification of Agnostic theism and atheism you refer to are still controversial. There is no way you will agnostically admit that you do not know the truth, yet you are projecting that deities do not exist. Any rational mind in such a state would rather treat their proposals as a mere hypothesis which is quite far from what most of the so called Atheist on this thread are doing. The issue is that most of you are quite confused as to what you believe in, most are just throwing the word Atheist about because it has become quite fashionable. A new trend like hip hop.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by LordAdam: 5:18pm On Jan 07, 2014
KenGali:

Ha ha. Do not be too fast to copy every new trend. Your points are flawed in that mult-religiousness is not secularism. Make the distinction. Nigeria as an example is multi- religious but not secular. I put it to you again, that the world we live in today was born out of religious societies. We are yet to see what we will create by putting away religion. Do not preempt me, I have not said it will be bad, but I do know humans have a tendency to react like animals when they do not feel an innate responsibility to someone. It is still a test that my generation and yours will live out.

I will give you an example. I walked through some parks in UK, I saw seats placed by people in a religious remember of loved ones. The issue is they are all old, I did not come across such a benevolence that was of recent times. Who will bring forward the benevolence of the future? Govt?

I did not point out in my post that multi-religiousness is secularism. I think there's a flaw in your understanding to construe that from my post. I only pointed to the core moments of our celebration of human advancements at times when religious groups co-existed peacefully. It was only when each had more tolerance towards each other, that the seeds of rational thinking was born (no one thinks rationally when there is strive). Of course, these thoughts were regulated by the religious institutions, but the lesser attached these thinkers were to religion the more advancements were made. Thoughts flowed from one religion to the other, respect flourished, and if the barriers were not there believe you me they'd have gone farther than they did. For example, Isaac Newton had to cock up some of his convictions so he wasn't accused of heresy. Galilieo had it worse, all because of established religion.

Now if religion had it's way, more than 50% of the world presently would not use contraceptives, think of the implications. People are more inclined to behave more rationally when they associate and are allowed to go about with as little divisions as possible, thus multi-religiousness breeds secularism. They distinct but related, the growing number of Nigerian Atheists, Free-thinkers, Agnostics, Non-religious theists; is a testament of this archetype.

Atheists would still mourn their loved ones, they'd lay wreaths, visit the tombs of their loved ones, pay their taxes, donate to charity, protect the environment. The greater call of us all to stand up for ourselves, uphold fundamental human rights, protect our environment, say no to devious crimes and established propanda even when they're a way of life in certain places: is totally as a result of secularism. Part of that can be attributed to Evolution and or Darwinism. Think of it, if the Portuguese knew the Dodo were an indigenous specie that should be hunted in moderation because they undoubtedly have a role to play their ecological habitat, instead of just creatures of God; they'd not be extinct today.

Religion is a chain, I've been a better person since I stopped being religious, everyone I know who has stopped has too. It might be in a big way or in a small way: people have cultures, ever heard of Atheist Christians, Atheist Muslims; they're people who do not believe in God but still hang out with their family come Christmas, or any of the Eid holidays. We are a social species, it may not be out of place to argue that Religion has evolved as a result of our habits as a species to be social, but now we've evolved to the point where we recognize each other's worth without the cloak of religion. And we are gaining new strides, of course we are not perfect, no one has the magic potion but looking back at what we've achieved in the last century, I'm proud to have lived in present times and not in the dark ages were religion was mainstream and as much as 30 million people were killed during the Inquisition.

Religion still has it's ackles firmly in humanity, the respect for important figures like the Pope, the Shah, the Dalai Lama; various religious leaders in all 200+ countries in the world: is reason enough to just beat out the notion of humans becoming non-religious in the next quarter of a millennium (even if inter-stellar travel becomes possible in as soon as 2035). The Roman Catholic Church still is the world's richest organization having the largest reserves of the real currency that has value-Gold. Religious wars still happen as more people would die this year from religious crisis than from AIDS.

In this all, forgive me for not being optimistic about a few pockets of people around the world denouncing Religion for being a fraud and opting for rationalism. Like Mandela said, it's a long walk to freedom. Gandhi said, I have no problems with Christ, it's Christians I have problem with. I'm proud to not be religious, I feel letting people know the importance of rationalism and humanism predates that of the unholy assertion--follow us or face eternal damnation.

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by LordAdam: 5:31pm On Jan 07, 2014
Mee234:
you are right about moral having forebearance but about been inanely concerns about actions without empathy that I beg to disagree. You can be taught to be good (or bad) without you thinking of any purpose except that which you are taught will be ur reward. That is my point. Unless empathy have another meaning I don't know than I'm getting ur point.
n/b maybe ur are beleagured because you are not making urself clear enough

Empathy does not thrive on reward, it radiates selflessness. When you do good for reward and shun bad because of consequences, that's fear not empathy. Empathy is why you don't discriminate--not because you'd be labeled a phobe or worse off face jail-term or take a slap of fine--you don't do it because you would not feel eerie if you were been discriminated against.

That's what morals should be, choosing right instead of wrong because of the reason--a degree of empathy--than about the consequences or rewards. If you don't steal for the singular reason of not wanting to serve jail time, then you have no morals with regards to stealing and are not empathic.

Now that's what I'm beleaguered about, that you apparently can't find a link between morals and empathy. It's a complex subject, I know, but there's a link. Not knowing that link and trying to put an argument forward is like trying to write a movie script in English without knowing the letters of the language.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by LordAdam: 6:22pm On Jan 07, 2014
KenGali:

I am not one to be indifferent or unsure about Gods existence, I just do not shove my belief down other people throats. So am not Agnostic either.
I guess you do not grasp the real direction of my pointer on multiverses. The question is that we already know that our sun will die someday. We think probably that universes are being obliterated all the time. The question is in all these randomness, why not ours yet? I do not yet want to go to the more familiar issue of the suitability of earth as a living place. But the real MaCoy is that removing purposeful design from the equation which is accompanied by a purpose, you wonder what was the essence of the billions of years of evolution if one day, the whole thing will be randomly wiped out totally, and the materials and energy recycled for another Big Bang.

Atheism is based on some illusion that we live in a stable place , where ghostly random processes can just pop out beings. It is not just that the earth is currently spinning at a whooping speed, that a bash by asteroids could knock it out of orbit, or that the sun is one day going to be a red giant and then a black hole, but also that the whole universe could become obliterated at any time. Can you sit down and do a rough mental calculation of the probability that the stability you are enjoying now was not due to a purposeful and conscious effort? It is so slim, that believing such is downright silly!

Intelligent design my dear friend, is a complete proof of the existence of a designer, a purposeful one at that. Even Cold admits that, he is only struggling with the definition of a designer as an entity with consciousness and purpose.

Last let me advise you to explore and conquer, if men were sticking only to what they know, which I assume you mean what their senses can detect, you won't even have a mere television in your house, cause you cannot see electromagnetic waves. You will probably be naked in one jungle trying to catch your next meal with your bare hands at this moment.

Now I was hoping you'd make this a hard nut to crack but like kids say it's easy peasy.

You claim to have studied intelligence design--guess what I have too, but that's the point. The point is that you obviously were doing the study with a biased mind; either that or you were doing the study while paying no attention to your science classes.

A physicist or mathematician would give you a detailed reason why our Sun is not dead yet (it's still a theory that the there are multiple universes so you'd be hard-pressed to find a pro to prove why our Universe is not dead yet). That's if you can stay long enough to listen to scientific jabber: but more lightly it has to do with the age of the Sun. You see things don't just happen in our Universe, there's an explanation, the fact that we don't know it does not mean it ain't there. Oh, and if you want to say how can the Mathematician prove that, try to remember that Newton calculated the gravity of the moon, and it's distance from earth centuries before we stepped on the moon, many particles and phenomena like the Higgs Bison, anti-matter, dark holes were proven theoretically before they were ever discovered.

If I can sit down and understand that the present cosmos is ordered, that a Comet is a space mass that entered Earth's orbit and was pulled in by gravity, instead of a fiery projectile thrown by Zeus on Olympus, then I have no trouble dismissing an intelligent design as reason for the stability. Times past earthquakes were regarded as the god's, God's judgement, today we know they're as a result of tectonic plates having a trudgy romance.

Did you miss science class when it was said that Energy can neither be created nor destroyed? If yes, why do you discuss the importance of essence? Many stars go kaboom every night somewhere in the universe & new celestial bodies (planets, asteroids, even galaxies) are formed; and you're here in your little arguably negligible microcosm talking about essence of destruction and its relationship to intelligent design. It's the kind of story you tell to people who believe Yahweh destroyed Sodom and Gomorrha with hails directly from the sky (when today it's been proven it was most probably a volcanic eruption that laid waste to the civilization that once occupied that land.

Intelligence design is simply an assumption. It is a theory likened to the one that Aliens built the Pyramid of Giza, that it was literally impossible for the Egyptians to build a pyramid that big within the time period it's being historically recorded to have been built: not to mention the engineering marvels that have been described by modern Engineers as unbelievable for the times. These are theories that are believed not proven. A believer of the Alien construction or Alien seeding or historic Alien-human interaction, can not give the Pyramid of Giza as a proof of their belief. In the same light, you can't give the complexities in the world and the universe as we know it to be a conclusive proof of Intelligent design.

As much as I try to feel comfortable with your sense of humor, mankind have the habit of sticking to what they know till there's a literal explainable proof to dismiss what they know. Again I'd refer you to my earlier question of you ever attending a science class--surely you know of Newton's laws. I'm not saying one should not explore and conquer (it's actually our nature, we do it most times subconsciously and sometimes we continue even in the face of it being illogical): we should only dismiss an acknowledged belief when there's an unarguable reason to. For now, the known universe does not give us an indisputable reason to accept intelligent design, if anything better luck next time.

3 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by LordAdam: 6:43pm On Jan 07, 2014
roymary:

I would not be replying you nor your likes if i do not tolerate/ have mutual respect. No iota of insult/disrespect in all i have written. Its all in your mind-

If you are not able to enumerate your points vividly- You might as well ignore my comments.

Religion aside, i do not see the sensible logic in homosexuality. Its a failed invention and nothing genuinely productive has come out of it. You are not going to shove that insanity down my throat. Its a disorder and anyone that indulges in such act should seek physical and spiritual help.

Logic has failed the world hence the uprisings and nauseating acts that flies here and there. You are your own person and i would not choose for you---So bigotry is trivial at the end of the day.

It annoys me that people are so adamant to present acceptable notions. No wonder certain folks over here think the UK and Britain are the same, and some folks in the West think that Africa is a country. Come on, read and make research. Take a painstaking effort to ask yourself important questions.

Enough of the ranting, the APA (American Psychological Association) accepts that Homosexuality is not an illness.

www.apa.org/helpcenter/sexual-orientation.aspx
www.psychiatry.org/lgbt-sexual-orientation

These are .org non-profit websites and you can research more locally at a library (if you have access to one that'd provide you witha dequate resources).

It's derogatory to call it an invention, it is not, and you're wrong homosexuals have led happy lives because their homosexuality has led them to persons, communities that love them and treat them as people with rights. That's genuinely productive especially when there're lots of suicides and depression from people who are not happy with their lives.

It's no surprise you think Logic has failed the world when you think Homosexuality is a disorder or requires spiritual help (as if to regard it as a beau ideal of demonic oppression).

I really do not know how to explain to you the importance of logic, since I'd obviously be wasting my time. Go on hating, I really hope you feel good when you learn there's a group called the KKK that think Blacks like you do not have souls and are animals. So much for bigotry being trivial.

Lord

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Enice(m): 8:12pm On Jan 07, 2014
God may exist, i don't know. But what i know is that the concept of God as written in the bible is wrong. My reason is this: how can God hand over the earth to the devil just because Adam ate one fruit. He now wants to redeem less than 10% of his own property by sacrificing his only begotten son to the same devil. This is beyond reasoning.

2 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by alan5250i: 8:23pm On Jan 07, 2014
onetrack:

Nonsense....Krishna is going to torture you cruelly for eternity if you don't believe and follow him only....and his cruelty surpasses even the cruelty of Yahweh and Allah, and anyone with even the slightest bit of reason will agree with me. Now submit. And give me your money.

Lol.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by alan5250i: 8:33pm On Jan 07, 2014
mazaje:

Why do you keep telling lies, the one and only true god is allah. . .Believe in him and his last messenger mohammed or perish, you are own your own. . .if you need more information go get a copy of the words of allah(the koran) and be his slave. . .Don't say i didn't warn you about the impending danger you will face when you die for not accepting the only true religion and revelation that was given to mankind. . .. . .

When asked before dying, of where he was going to, what was his reply?
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 12:30am On Jan 08, 2014
LordAdam:

Empathy does not thrive on reward, it radiates selflessness. When you do good for reward and shun bad because of consequences, that's fear not empathy. Empathy is why you don't discriminate--not because you'd be labeled a phobe or worse off face jail-term or take a slap of fine--you don't do it because you would not feel eerie if you were been discriminated against.

That's what morals should be, choosing right instead of wrong because of the reason--a degree of empathy--than about the consequences or rewards. If you don't steal for the singular reason of not wanting to serve jail time, then you have no morals with regards to stealing and are not empathic.

Now that's what I'm beleaguered about, that you apparently can't find a link between morals and empathy. It's a complex subject, I know, but there's a link. Not knowing that link and trying to put an argument forward is like trying to write a movie script in English without knowing the letters of the language.
Me not seeing or finding your link between morals and empathy should not make me ur beleaguerer. When you empathize with some one, you are caring even loving that some one. That is different from keeping to the norms of your society. Moral is subjective. Right or wrong depend on place and time. Homosexuality is considered taboo in some society while some consider it freedom. U are prob'ly seeing a link between the two concept because u don't want to think that morality comes from somewhere.
my take is, some one can be good or bad without empathizing. It's not alway fear, it is the value place on deeds. If you place enough high value on good( depending on what ur soceity accept as good) deed, u will do good hence have good morals.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by LordAdam: 12:11pm On Jan 08, 2014
Mee234:
Me not seeing or finding your link between morals and empathy should not make me ur beleaguerer. When you empathize with some one, you are caring even loving that some one. That is different from keeping to the norms of your society. Moral is subjective. Right or wrong depend on place and time. Homosexuality is considered taboo in some society while some consider it freedom. U are prob'ly seeing a link between the two concept because u don't want to think that morality comes from somewhere.
my take is, some one can be good or bad without empathizing. It's not alway fear, it is the value place on deeds. If you place enough high value on good( depending on what ur soceity accept as good) deed, u will do good hence have good morals.

Maybe you need to read through our previous discussions to stay on topic. There's a link between morals and empathy. I said sure, you said not true. I've also told you that this is complex, but establishing a fundamental link is vital to understanding morals.

Giving replies to your points would lead this discussion elsewhere. Most universal morals like not committing murder impinges on empathy, I'm least concerned about local norms or customs because they're bound to change as well as have a significant number of people who dismiss societal norms.

The fact that our contemporary society frowns on homosexuality does not signal my respect for the disapproval, nor make me accept it (the disapproval) as my morals. When I discuss morals, I discuss it on the individual scale, not communal - which tends to be boggled up.

On an individual scale, and using my self as an example, I would not steal because of empathy for the person I'd be stealing from. And most times, when parents discipline, caution or try to instill morals in their kids, they do so by establishing the implicating rather than consequential reason why they (the kids) should adhere to the morals--especially when they're able to comprehend rationality.

We are adults on here, some of us have children, some are yet to: the more we give good empathic reasons to stick with certain morals the less we'd go against them. That my friend is the link between empathy and morals.

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by grandstar(m): 5:32pm On Jan 08, 2014
[quote author=PAGAN 9JA]OP convert to Traditional Religion and tell your mother to be initiated as well.

replied you mistakenlly

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by grandstar(m): 5:35pm On Jan 08, 2014
oluafolabi:

Which of the Creators?

Allah? Yahweh? Obatala?

Which of them created this world?

She can continue serving God.

The only difference is that she will be doing so in her language.[/quote]

Sorry for just replying your comment above. I just saw it yesterday and I use a phone to browse which would have made it difficult to give an appropriate and comprehensive response.

I know you're being sarcastic but again, "Many a serious thing is said in jest" said Shakespeare. You want to know which of the 3 created the world.

My choice will be based on a speech by the Apostle Paul to Greek Philosophers at the Areopagus in Athens

. 22 Paul now stood in the midst of the Ar·e·op′a·gus+ and said: “Men of Athens, I see that in all things you seem to be more given to the fear of the deities* than others are.

+ 23 For instance, while passing along and carefully observing your objects of veneration,* I found even an altar on which had been inscribed ‘To an Unknown God.’ Therefore, what you are unknowingly worshipping, this I am declaring to you.

24 The God who made the world and all the things in it, being, as he is, Lord of heaven and earth,+ does not dwell in handmade temples;

+ 25 nor is he served by human hands as if he needed anything,+ because he himself gives to all people life and breath+ and all things.

26 And he made out of one man+ every nation of men to dwell on the entire surface of the earth,+ and he decreed the appointed times and the set limits of where men would dwell,

+ 27 so that they would seek God, if they might grope for him and really find him,+ although, in fact, he is not far off from each one of us.

28 For by him we have life and move and exist, even as some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also his children.’

* 29 “Therefore, since we are the children* of God,+ we should not think that the Divine Being is like gold or silver or stone, like something sculptured by the art and design of humans.

+ 30 True, God has overlooked the times of such ignorance;+ but now he is declaring to all people everywhere that they should repent.

31 Because he has set a day on which he purposes to judge+ the inhabited earth in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed, and he has provided a guarantee to all men by resurrecting him from the dead.”

That was from the book of Acts 17:22-31

Based on that speech and from the enquiry made by Moses in the wilderness around 1513 B.C.E, I would reply Jehovah which is also referred to as Yahweh

Below is a transcript of the speech (Exodus 3: 13-16)

13 But Moses said to the true God: “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your forefathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is his name?’+ What should I say to them?”

14 So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose to Become.”*+ And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’”

+ 15 Then God said once more to Moses: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham,+ the God of Isaac,+ and the God of Jacob,+ has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever,+ and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation.

16 Now go, and gather the elders of Israel and say to them, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers has appeared to me, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and he said: “I have certainly taken notice of you+ and of what is being done to you in Egypt

The name Jehovah means "I Will Become What I Choose to Become"

If you have any more questions you can PM or even reply here. I will love to answer more of your questions. Thank you
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by grandstar(m): 5:56pm On Jan 08, 2014
MeandSum:

Can I ask you why you believe there's a creator? Have you seen or heard from him? How do you know he's the creator and not actually one of the 10, 000 gods from India? maybe Obatala is the creator. Any thoughts?

Many thanks for your response above and I apologise for my last response. Just saw it yesterday and a laptop is best to reply you and not a phone.

You asked a valid question,"why do I believe there is a Creator?". I too don't subscribe to blind faith. Even the bible says" You, however, continue in the things that you learned and were persuaded to believe knowing from whom you learned them" (Acts 3:14).

Also Proverbs 14:15 says a " A fool will believe anything"

Back to your question, why do I believe there is a Creator?

Well, if I owned a samsung 4 with all its effizzy, will I think it came by chance, thats its just a wild concidence it exist? Would you?

How much more a human being? It is said that the possibility that an the probability that the protein in a cell came by chance is 1 in 10 raised to the power 150. Science says anything greater than 117 should be dismissed as impossible. If the protein in a cell can notr come by chance , hoiw much more a whole person!

It is said that the earth rotates round the sun and the moon round the earth. How it does this with precision still s baffles the mind. Its like a supergigantic watchpeice that is precision personified. Pls imagine the movement for a second. If a rolex watch can not come by chance, how much more the precise movements of these galactic bodies.

The book of Isaiah gives us an answer (Isaiah 40:26)

26 “Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number;
He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power,+ Not one of them is missing.

Who regulates the Heavens if not the one we call God the Creator.

We can see intelligent design all around rather than anarchy.

Apostle said " For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made,+ even his eternal power and Godship,so that they are inexcusable (Romans 1:20)

If you need to know more , pls pm me
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Wealthyone: 5:58pm On Jan 08, 2014
mazaje:

There is no god but allah and mohammed is his messenger, my brother you are on the wrong path. . You will rot in allah's hell unless you believe in him and accept his religion which is islam. . .say what ever you want but you will definitely remember this post some day. . .

@mazaje, He's God not god. Its very obvious u are mocking Islam cos ur earlier comments reveal dat. If u dont belief in Allah, must u mock or blaspheme? i wont abuse/attack u on this issue, the all-knowing and all-seeing is aware of all u do/say/write about him.

]Innah Llah Gafur Rahim

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders / Pandemonium, As Fire Razes Oritsejafor’s Warri Church / Prophet Oladele Genesis Gives Widow Church Offering, Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.