Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,545 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! - Religion (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! (36801 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 08, 2014
Wealthyone:

@mazaje, He's God not god. Its very obvious u are mocking Islam cos ur earlier comments reveal dat. If u dont belief in Allah, must u open mock or blaspheme? i wont abuse/attack u on this issue, the all-knowing and all-seeing is aware of all u do/say/write about him.

]Innah Llah Gafur Rahim

i doubt Allah deserves a capital g
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jan 08, 2014
LordAdam:

Maybe you need to read through our previous discussions to stay on topic. There's a link between morals and empathy. I said sure, you said not true. I've also told you that this is complex, but establishing a fundamental link is vital to understanding morals.

Giving replies to your points would lead this discussion elsewhere. Most universal morals like not committing murder impinges on empathy, I'm least concerned about local norms or customs because they're bound to change as well as have a significant number of people who dismiss societal norms.

The fact that our contemporary society frowns on homosexuality does not signal my respect for the disapproval, nor make me accept it (the disapproval) as my morals. When I discuss morals, I discuss it on the individual scale, not communal - which tends to be boggled up.

On an individual scale, and using my self as an example, I would not steal because of empathy for the person I'd be stealing from. And most times, when parents discipline, caution or try to instill morals in their kids, they do so by establishing the implicating rather than consequential reason why they (the kids) should adhere to the morals--especially when they're able to comprehend rationality.

We are adults on here, some of us have children, some are yet to: the more we give good empathic reasons to stick with certain morals the less we'd go against them. That my friend is the link between empathy and morals.
Ok. Maybe u have to define what u mean by empathy.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Wealthyone: 10:15pm On Jan 08, 2014
ifeness:

i doubt Allah deserves a capital g

Never knew so many atheists exist here in Nigeria till I came across this thread. I can't imagine a human being claiming there's no GOD. Haba!!!
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by EreluY(f): 4:07am On Jan 09, 2014
E nice: God may exist, i don't know. But what i know is that the concept of God as written in the bible is wrong. My reason is this: how can God hand over the earth to the devil just because Adam ate one fruit. He now wants to redeem less than 10% of his own property by sacrificing his only begotten son to the same devil. This is beyond reasoning.

[size=18pt]ABI? THANK YOU O JARE[/size]

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by EreluY(f): 4:11am On Jan 09, 2014
grandstar:

Many thanks for your response above and I apologise for my last response. Just saw it yesterday and a laptop is best to reply you and not a phone.

You asked a valid question,"why do I believe there is a Creator?". I too don't subscribe to blind faith. Even the bible says" You, however, continue in the things that you learned and were persuaded to believe knowing from whom you learned them" (Acts 3:14).

Also Proverbs 14:15 says a " A fool will believe anything"

Back to your question, why do I believe there is a Creator?

Well, if I owned a samsung 4 with all its effizzy, will I think it came by chance, thats its just a wild concidence it exist? Would you?

How much more a human being? It is said that the possibility that an the probability that the protein in a cell came by chance is 1 in 10 raised to the power 150. Science says anything greater than 117 should be dismissed as impossible. If the protein in a cell can notr come by chance , hoiw much more a whole person!

It is said that the earth rotates round the sun and the moon round the earth. How it does this with precision still s baffles the mind. Its like a supergigantic watchpeice that is precision personified. Pls imagine the movement for a second. If a rolex watch can not come by chance, how much more the precise movements of these galactic bodies.

The book of Isaiah gives us an answer (Isaiah 40:26)

26 “Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number;
He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power,+ Not one of them is missing.

Who regulates the Heavens if not the one we call God the Creator.

We can see intelligent design all around rather than anarchy.

Apostle said " For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made,+ even his eternal power and Godship,so that they are inexcusable (Romans 1:20)

If you need to know more , pls pm me

WHAT A DUMP RESPONSE AND DEFENSE.

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by scarred9jan(m): 4:37am On Jan 09, 2014
Wealthyone:

Never knew so many atheists exist here in Nigeria till I came across this thread. I can't imagine a human being claiming there's no GOD. Haba!!!

Then your imagination is limited.. THERE IS NO GOD!!!

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:20am On Jan 09, 2014
mandhi!!!!:
@generalsheperd, if I may ask, y don't u believe in GOD.

Because there is no evidence for a god

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:26am On Jan 09, 2014
KenGali:

These your questions do not in any way disprove intelligent design.
One of the fallacies used by people who refer to baseless logic is to jump to secondary questions without answering primary one.

The nature of the origin of the intelligent designer does not in any way interfere with the fact that all the designs we have seen are evidences of his existence. You questions are totally irrelevant to the question of existence of an Intelligent Design with purpose and consciousness.

Further, assuming you can ascribe him to chance, it is definitely not the same chance that you can you would like to ascribe to yourself, as you do not share the same capability or environment or realm as the designer. The fact still remains that you and I live in a world so complex, and volatile, that the probability of having originated from random chance is way smaller than the probability of passing a horse through the eye of a needle.

If another more intelligent designer designed god,do you not think He/she/it will throw both you and god into hell?

The problem of infinite regression is the major problem of intelligent!

2 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jan 09, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

If another more intelligent designer designed god,do you not think He/she/it will throw both you and god into hell?

The problem of infinite regression is the major problem of intelligent!
Your question is premised on the assumption of linear relationships, which if I can reference most non-classical modern scientific theories is really far fetched. Linear ascendance or relations is often imposed by humans due to the architecture of our thinking machine, which finds it as the easiest realisation to render.

Having brought you out of this linear relationship, can you imagine other non linear relations between the designer of the intelligent designer and the latter. If you are lacking imagination, then I reference you to the Christian religion, which proposes the trinity. It acknowledges that Christ was made by the father, yet is the Father and then the Father made all other things via him. Surprised?!!!! Well the relationship between them is quite complex, Christ being the father and the father being Christ. So complex that theologians came up with the idea of trinity, which is still quite flawed since it is hunched on the human ideology that things must necessarily by equal or unequal. So the answer to your question is no, if the intelligent designer was designed, and both act in unison.

Back to my original response, the details of the nature of the Intelligent Designer does not in any way interfere with the issue of his existence, So best stick to the primary question on the evidences of existence of the Intelligent Designer.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jan 09, 2014
LordAdam:

I did not point out in my post that multi-religiousness is secularism. I think there's a flaw in your understanding to construe that from my post. I only pointed to the core moments of our celebration of human advancements at times when religious groups co-existed peacefully. It was only when each had more tolerance towards each other, that the seeds of rational thinking was born (no one thinks rationally when there is strive). Of course, these thoughts were regulated by the religious institutions, but the lesser attached these thinkers were to religion the more advancements were made. Thoughts flowed from one religion to the other, respect flourished, and if the barriers were not there believe you me they'd have gone farther than they did. For example, Isaac Newton had to cock up some of his convictions so he wasn't accused of heresy. Galilieo had it worse, all because of established religion.

Now if religion had it's way, more than 50% of the world presently would not use contraceptives, think of the implications. People are more inclined to behave more rationally when they associate and are allowed to go about with as little divisions as possible, thus multi-religiousness breeds secularism. They distinct but related, the growing number of Nigerian Atheists, Free-thinkers, Agnostics, Non-religious theists; is a testament of this archetype.

Atheists would still mourn their loved ones, they'd lay wreaths, visit the tombs of their loved ones, pay their taxes, donate to charity, protect the environment. The greater call of us all to stand up for ourselves, uphold fundamental human rights, protect our environment, say no to devious crimes and established propanda even when they're a way of life in certain places: is totally as a result of secularism. Part of that can be attributed to Evolution and or Darwinism. Think of it, if the Portuguese knew the Dodo were an indigenous specie that should be hunted in moderation because they undoubtedly have a role to play their ecological habitat, instead of just creatures of God; they'd not be extinct today.

Religion is a chain, I've been a better person since I stopped being religious, everyone I know who has stopped has too. It might be in a big way or in a small way: people have cultures, ever heard of Atheist Christians, Atheist Muslims; they're people who do not believe in God but still hang out with their family come Christmas, or any of the Eid holidays. We are a social species, it may not be out of place to argue that Religion has evolved as a result of our habits as a species to be social, but now we've evolved to the point where we recognize each other's worth without the cloak of religion. And we are gaining new strides, of course we are not perfect, no one has the magic potion but looking back at what we've achieved in the last century, I'm proud to have lived in present times and not in the dark ages were religion was mainstream and as much as 30 million people were killed during the Inquisition.

Religion still has it's ackles firmly in humanity, the respect for important figures like the Pope, the Shah, the Dalai Lama; various religious leaders in all 200+ countries in the world: is reason enough to just beat out the notion of humans becoming non-religious in the next quarter of a millennium (even if inter-stellar travel becomes possible in as soon as 2035). The Roman Catholic Church still is the world's richest organization having the largest reserves of the real currency that has value-Gold. Religious wars still happen as more people would die this year from religious crisis than from AIDS.

In this all, forgive me for not being optimistic about a few pockets of people around the world denouncing Religion for being a fraud and opting for rationalism. Like Mandela said, it's a long walk to freedom. Gandhi said, I have no problems with Christ, it's Christians I have problem with. I'm proud to not be religious, I feel letting people know the importance of rationalism and humanism predates that of the unholy assertion--follow us or face eternal damnation.

Again you are mixing religious tolerance with secularism. Secondly you seem to think that only atheist are Scientific. Kindly note that some of the fundamental advances in mathematic were made by Moslem scholars. That you were told that the time saw tolerance of non religious view does not translate that the view holders where not religious. You mentioned Newton, note that his treatise on the falling apple is one of the fundamental ideas used by theologians in concluding the existence of God.
Galileo was more a victim of an age that was not open to ideas than the Christian religion. The bible texts as written in the book of Genesis is totally compatible with Galileo's ideas. The religious men were simply sticking to there own interpretation and ideas of the universe, while Galileo had an Alternative which did not contrast with his belief. I hope you know Galileo was a very religious man. A devote Catholic.

So your write up is mixing a lot of ideas together. On one hand you sound like you are advocating religious tolerance, which I am for. Then you switch to the idea that religion is the only problem to advancement. Without basis of course, as most of the advancement you reference were made by highly religious man. If you were in the dark ages you will still be proud to have lived then, since you will have no idea of a more advanced life. Just like in future, some people will be looking back at us an deride the kinds of political wars we fight today and the mayhem. Do not mix up human advancement as a prize for non-religiousness, especially when you have no basis to make such conclusions. scientist all over the world are still by huge portion religious people. While we enjoy more freedom of ideas, there is still room for conservatism in the face of our new abilities to wake up long extinct species and even blow up our own planet.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jan 09, 2014
LordAdam:

Now I was hoping you'd make this a hard nut to crack but like kids say it's easy peasy.

You claim to have studied intelligence design--guess what I have too, but that's the point. The point is that you obviously were doing the study with a biased mind; either that or you were doing the study while paying no attention to your science classes.

A physicist or mathematician would give you a detailed reason why our Sun is not dead yet (it's still a theory that the there are multiple universes so you'd be hard-pressed to find a pro to prove why our Universe is not dead yet). That's if you can stay long enough to listen to scientific jabber: but more lightly it has to do with the age of the Sun. You see things don't just happen in our Universe, there's an explanation, the fact that we don't know it does not mean it ain't there. Oh, and if you want to say how can the Mathematician prove that, try to remember that Newton calculated the gravity of the moon, and it's distance from earth centuries before we stepped on the moon, many particles and phenomena like the Higgs Bison, anti-matter, dark holes were proven theoretically before they were ever discovered.

If I can sit down and understand that the present cosmos is ordered, that a Comet is a space mass that entered Earth's orbit and was pulled in by gravity, instead of a fiery projectile thrown by Zeus on Olympus, then I have no trouble dismissing an intelligent design as reason for the stability. Times past earthquakes were regarded as the god's, God's judgement, today we know they're as a result of tectonic plates having a trudgy romance.

Did you miss science class when it was said that Energy can neither be created nor destroyed? If yes, why do you discuss the importance of essence? Many stars go kaboom every night somewhere in the universe & new celestial bodies (planets, asteroids, even galaxies) are formed; and you're here in your little arguably negligible microcosm talking about essence of destruction and its relationship to intelligent design. It's the kind of story you tell to people who believe Yahweh destroyed Sodom and Gomorrha with hails directly from the sky (when today it's been proven it was most probably a volcanic eruption that laid waste to the civilization that once occupied that land.

Intelligence design is simply an assumption. It is a theory likened to the one that Aliens built the Pyramid of Giza, that it was literally impossible for the Egyptians to build a pyramid that big within the time period it's being historically recorded to have been built: not to mention the engineering marvels that have been described by modern Engineers as unbelievable for the times. These are theories that are believed not proven. A believer of the Alien construction or Alien seeding or historic Alien-human interaction, can not give the Pyramid of Giza as a proof of their belief. In the same light, you can't give the complexities in the world and the universe as we know it to be a conclusive proof of Intelligent design.

As much as I try to feel comfortable with your sense of humor, mankind have the habit of sticking to what they know till there's a literal explainable proof to dismiss what they know. Again I'd refer you to my earlier question of you ever attending a science class--surely you know of Newton's laws. I'm not saying one should not explore and conquer (it's actually our nature, we do it most times subconsciously and sometimes we continue even in the face of it being illogical): we should only dismiss an acknowledged belief when there's an unarguable reason to. For now, the known universe does not give us an indisputable reason to accept intelligent design, if anything better luck next time.

Easy queasy!!!!!
You spent your time up there telling me about how things are organised without providing a single proof about who or what did the consistent organisation we see everywhere. What crap are you talking about essence.

Of course when you look at an internal combustion engine, it seems perfectly logical to have something for ignition, some timing rod, or even a crank shaft, except someone made it carefully. Similarly. When you look at that the sun, our great nuclear reactor and all the harmful rays it spews, it seems logical to have a shield, the ozone, but again someone thought of it.

When I tell you that I spent more than half my life studying intelligent designs, I mean my science class, so have no doubt about my education. How ever on your own side, I think you need to go beyond classical theories, to appreciate my view point. Classical Mechanics is only a subset of a much larger Reality. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed is just a classical theory, I believe I spoke about something different, the inter convertibility of energy and matter, the famous E=MC^2 from Einstein, the dual paradox of light photons behaving like particles and again like waves, or the ability of gravity to attract and prevent escape of light in black holes. Do get yourself up to date, am sure when you do and appreciate how complex and beyond classical theories the world is, you will appreciate intelligent design.

Last you want to retain beliefs until you can prove otherwise. Yet you are here talking about Atheism without any conclusive proof or alternative evidence of non-conscious processes that randomly and intelligently design complex functioning entities. Do yourself a favour and take your own advise, stick to what is obvious and leave elusive shadows.

I hope you can see that if I extend your argument above about the Pyramids of Egypt, you can also not conclude that they were not built by Aliens, which is the equivalent of Atheist saying there is no God without any solid scientific proof. Finding contradiction in religious text is not a proof that there is no God.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by grandstar(m): 8:22pm On Jan 09, 2014
Erelu_Y:

WHAT A DUMP RESPONSE AND DEFENSE.

Why do you call it dumb? And I will be interested to know why you dont believe in God. There must be a valid reason why. Awaiting your response.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by LordAdam: 2:42am On Jan 10, 2014
KenGali:

Again you are mixing religious tolerance with secularism. Secondly you seem to think that only atheist are Scientific. Kindly note that some of the fundamental advances in mathematic were made by Moslem scholars. That you were told that the time saw tolerance of non religious view does not translate that the view holders where not religious. You mentioned Newton, note that his treatise on the falling apple is one of the fundamental ideas used by theologians in concluding the existence of God.
Galileo was more a victim of an age that was not open to ideas than the Christian religion. The bible texts as written in the book of Genesis is totally compatible with Galileo's ideas. The religious men were simply sticking to there own interpretation and ideas of the universe, while Galileo had an Alternative which did not contrast with his belief. I hope you know Galileo was a very religious man. A devote Catholic.

So your write up is mixing a lot of ideas together. On one hand you sound like you are advocating religious tolerance, which I am for. Then you switch to the idea that religion is the only problem to advancement. Without basis of course, as most of the advancement you reference were made by highly religious man. If you were in the dark ages you will still be proud to have lived then, since you will have no idea of a more advanced life. Just like in future, some people will be looking back at us an deride the kinds of political wars we fight today and the mayhem. Do not mix up human advancement as a prize for non-religiousness, especially when you have no basis to make such conclusions. scientist all over the world are still by huge portion religious people. While we enjoy more freedom of ideas, there is still room for conservatism in the face of our new abilities to wake up long extinct species and even blow up our own planet.

How convenient of you to attribute Newton's and the Muslim mathematicians to the background of religion being okay, why dismissing Galileo as an unfortunate victim who although was religious, was still victimized by established religion. A round of applause for you. Galileo would easily have been killed for apostasy if he had dare question core religious beliefs, so eat you hat about him being a victim. And sure delve into the history books and understand Newton as a philosopher than a highly placed noble in the religious sphere: much of Newton's classical respect would be gone if he had dare made his personal convictions public. His wikipedia profile would serve as a primer.

It's no surprise you don't see a link between multi-religiousness and secularism, afterall you think the birth and death of stars is proof of God. I've clearly wasted my time trying to establish a fundamental link between both concepts. I'd ask you then, how long has Secularism existed as part of the human society?

Again, since you're so adamant to the increasing intelligence of mankind at just about the same time of diminishing levels of religiousness among people, I'd give you a shocking reminder: it is the norm in science to regard evolution as a basis for further advancement--from the documentaries, to the movies, the media, the government, academia, you can't get big research funds, high viewer ratings, public support if you don't agree that we are nearing ANOTHER ice age with a number of them occurring before humans evolved. That's of course if you're not in a third-world country with shocking levels of primitive inclinations and beliefs.

2 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by LordAdam: 3:46am On Jan 10, 2014
KenGali:

Easy queasy!!!!!
You spent your time up there telling me about how things are organised without providing a single proof about who or what did the consistent organisation we see everywhere. What crap are you talking about essence.

Of course when you look at an internal combustion engine, it seems perfectly logical to have something for ignition, some timing rod, or even a crank shaft, except someone made it carefully. Similarly. When you look at that the sun, our great nuclear reactor and all the harmful rays it spews, it seems logical to have a shield, the ozone, but again someone thought of it.

When I tell you that I spent more than half my life studying intelligent designs, I mean my science class, so have no doubt about my education. How ever on your own side, I think you need to go beyond classical theories, to appreciate my view point. Classical Mechanics is only a subset of a much larger Reality. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed is just a classical theory, I believe I spoke about something different, the inter convertibility of energy and matter, the famous E=MC^2 from Einstein, the dual paradox of light photons behaving like particles and again like waves, or the ability of gravity to attract and prevent escape of light in black holes. Do get yourself up to date, am sure when you do and appreciate how complex and beyond classical theories the world is, you will appreciate intelligent design.

Last you want to retain beliefs until you can prove otherwise. Yet you are here talking about Atheism without any conclusive proof or alternative evidence of non-conscious processes that randomly and intelligently design complex functioning entities. Do yourself a favour and take your own advise, stick to what is obvious and leave elusive shadows.

I hope you can see that if I extend your argument above about the Pyramids of Egypt, you can also not conclude that they were not built by Aliens, which is the equivalent of Atheist saying there is no God without any solid scientific proof. Finding contradiction in religious text is not a proof that there is no God.

Hate to start off as a grammar nazi, but that's "easy peasy". What do you mean by proof of what brought the organization about? The Library of Congress is overflowing with scholarly papers if you need more proof. Mind you, I'm not jumping into conclusions, none of us was here when the Big Bang occurred, heck there was no earth then. Hence, in science we speculate. We look at physical reasons to support a theory and the more confident we are about an assertion the more we critique it. Today, scientists still debate about what caused the Big bang, when it happened, how long it took Earth to become habitable and what has transpired on earth from then till now: that's science, rationally seeking out possibilities and backing them up. And as far as we know, no one can say for certain--100%-- that they knew exactly how any of those events went down. That's a far cry from your convenient sit-on-a-rocking-chair it just has to be God, and I'm 100% certain.

While science's usual stance is, this is as much as we know and are open to different opinions now or in the future as long they follow universally accepted standards: religion says, we don't need that, we're certain--there's no need to disturb our minds.

Yuck, classical theories are meant to bring science into layman perspective, so don't excuse my preference for simplicity as a weakness. Einstein's theory on relativity is about to eat the dust, no thanks to the Huge-LQG. The Huge-LQG is the first super structure to be discovered, it is approximately four billion light years across and in a mean way debunks the cosmopolitan principle that one large part of the universe looks like another large part. Previous estimates of the largest part to fit this theory were at about 1 billion light years wide, the Huge-LQG shot a laser through that figure. I'd hate to turn this to a science debate, but if a big new idea like this came up in established religion, trust me there'd be a split in a modest scale or blown-up conflict in the worst-case scenario.

And yes, there is a considerable number of religious scientists in the world, but that number is diminishing at a rate that'd make the Inquisitionists cringe in their grave. Not to mention that the next generation of scientists who are part of more liberalizations and societal awakenings are either debunking the God phenomenom or just staying conservative while questioning established religion.

If you took a poll in a top-notch research facility in any of the G8 nations, you'd be surprised at the number of people who don't go to any religious place of worship even though their CV might read Christianity, Islam, Hindu or whatever under religion. If you're so dumb as to not know what that means, I'd help you--skip this religious freedom shit you stand more chances on losing funding if your supervisor learned you believe in Intelligent design in preference to evolution. In fact, there's been countless cases of victimization reports by religious folks in the realm of the specialized sciences.

Sure you may see Christian doctors, Hindu chiropractors; but in the deep realm of science, you're either for God or for science. Ever heard of don't bring God into my lab/office. You can ascribe open scientific sources to Intelligent design, I couldn't care less. But do not label them as proof, nor do you in any way imply that religion and science are buddies, especially in contemporary times.

Ain't giving you another reply. I'm not trying to convince you to drop Intelligence design, that's a wasted effort. I'm just concerned about how you'd come on a puublic forum and say a self-sustaining universe functioning at the observable moment without any external influence is proof that God exists. It's ridiculous and misleading. And then to question your hypocrisy in thinking it best to devoid yourself of religion while still encouraging it's usefulness or remotely stating that it is necessary for a better society. If it's so great, why not stick with it? God may not be evil, but religion that I know, understand and see is very evil. It kills, maims, murders, as well as incite people to commit all manner of ills that'd dumbfound a conclave of the most vicious gods ever worshiped.

4b+ people are still held in religious shackles, we don't want any new ones in Science. So take your ideas to a college forum of religious theologians, you'd be more appreciated there.

7 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 6:37am On Jan 10, 2014
@lord adam, can you pls leave him alone, i know his type

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by LordAdam: 7:37am On Jan 10, 2014
Peterken05: @lord adam, can you pls leave him alone, i know his type

Yes I would. I've grown sick of replying him!
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by UyiIredia(m): 11:42am On Jan 10, 2014
Wealthyone:

Chances are you will proudly claim there's no Amadioha, Zeus, Ra, Ogun etc or at least state they pale in comparison to Jesus. You will easilly denounce Muhammad, Buddha or Zoroaster yet be shocked someone can denounce Jesus. This is ironic.

3 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jan 10, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

Chances are you will proudly claim there's no Amadioha, Zeus, Ra, Ogun etc or at least state they pale in comparison to Jesus. You will easilly denounce Muhammad, Buddha or Zoroaster yet be shocked someone can denounce Jesus. This is ironic.
i wonder o
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jun 28, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:

who is this fellow?

Dude NElson Mandela sufferred more than the mythical jesus. He stayed in prison for decades. you should go worship him!

since you like worshipping men. .
Jesus is God,Nelson Mandela is man, PIONT OF CORRECT:Jesus is nt mythical
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Weah96: 1:14am On Jun 29, 2014
SAVED BABA: Jesus is God,Nelson Mandela is man, PIONT OF CORRECT:Jesus is nt mythical

Look around, there has been no Jesus anywhere from day 1. If Jesus existed in your imagination only, then things would be exactly as they are right now. Well, voila!

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by MrAnony1(m): 7:55am On Jun 29, 2014
GeneralShepherd: Since I officially dumped the idea of a god, I haven't seen my parents. I went home this christmas,it was a wonderful holiday for me,little did I know my mum was hurting deep down inside!

She called me today being the 1st of January 2014 and started telling me how she asked Yahweh to give her a son after she had four girls(who are all married) which He did according to her. She told me how she has barely slept most nights in the pasy year because of my atheism. Also said it might lead her to her early grave if I continue living without god.

My dilemma is I can't pretend about god and the bible,yet I don't want my mum to die or have sleepless nights! When people read the bible the smile on face shows I don't believe any of it, when I try to pray I feel like I'm mad talking to myself or like a kid talking to Barney and friends!

How do I undo what has been done! [size=15pt]How do I unknow what I know about god and religion?[/size] How do I ignore the inconsistencies?

I love my mum so much and will gladly become a sheeple for her to be happy

What exactly do you know about God and Religion?
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by malvisguy212: 8:22am On Jun 29, 2014
Mr_Anony:

I just love this question.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by mazaje(m): 8:35am On Jun 29, 2014
Mr_Anony:

That god is just am idea and a perception invented by men, and that religion is just a culture men created based on what ever god idea they had created. . .

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by uzoexcel(m): 1:53pm On Jun 29, 2014
Lol...THis thread na die grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
#OperationResurrectThisTHread
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Franklinus: 8:03pm On Jul 10, 2014
THE INDISPENSABLE TRUTH FOR TODAY !!! (2 COR. 4:6-17; MATT. 16:24-27) http://credoexperience..com/2014/07/the-indispensable-truth-for-today-2-cor.html
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by eledacedar(f): 2:33am On May 19, 2015
kjhova:
A lot of guys here have raised the idea that design in nature supports the existence of god or at least a "higher intelligent being".

Ok. Let's test this arguement. Suppose design in nature is proof enough of a higher being, who is to say if this being is a "he" as most have been saying? Can this being be a "she"? Or an "it"? Then perhaps we are actually dealing with a set of beings? As someone suggested that automobile production is analogous to natural design, can we then suppose that the universe was designed by a mega factory of gods? If we accept that design in nature is proof of god, which of the existing gods win the bet? Allah (with no son), Jehovah (with 1 son) or Zeus (with many sons & daughters)?

Then let's introduce Satan which is the arch enemy of the Abrahamic gods (Jehovah/Allah/Yahweh), since he was "cast unto Earth" according to the bible, are we safe from his operations if we move to, say, Saturn or Mars? If human biosphere spread to the next galaxy, will god grant satan a charter there too or will he find another satan for that realm so he can send his son to die there too?

Finally, is there really a difference between the god theory & the big bang theory of the origin of the Universe? Religionists have always attacked the big bang with one main challenge which is "what started the bang & where did the bang materials come from?" We can ask the same of the god theory, what started god & where was god before he/she/it/they started??

Wow....... I never knew this has been your line of thought. Howdy baba
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 8:13am On Nov 27, 2015
UyiIredia:

Don't you think men have found peace and meaning in life millennia before Jesus came ? And what makes u sure or religion is true above others ?
This is the most shocking comment I've read in a long time. shocked
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by lepasharon(f): 9:09am On Dec 26, 2015
Why ?
Teempakguy:
This is the most shocking comment I've read in a long time. shocked
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by ilovetheline: 1:18am On Jun 17, 2016
GeneralShepherd:
Since I officially dumped the idea of a god, I haven't seen my parents. I went home this christmas,it was a wonderful holiday for me,little did I know my mum was hurting deep down inside!

She called me today being the 1st of January 2014 and started telling me how she asked Yahweh to give her a son after she had four girls(who are all married) which He did according to her. She told me how she has barely slept most nights in the pasy year because of my atheism. Also said it might lead her to her early grave if I continue living without god.

My dilemma is I can't pretend about god and the bible,yet I don't want my mum to die or have sleepless nights! When people read the bible the smile on face shows I don't believe any of it, when I try to pray I feel like I'm mad talking to myself or like a kid talking to Barney and friends!

How do I undo what has been done! How do I unknow what I know about god and religion? How do I ignore the inconsistencies?

I love my mum so much and will gladly become a sheeple for her to be happy
same here, but 2016. How has yours turned out? I just shut my eyes

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:43am On Jun 17, 2016
ilovetheline:
same here, but 2016. How has yours turned out? I just shut my eyes

Haha... These days I pretend I care about religion around her

2 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by spacyzuma(m): 10:44am On Jun 17, 2016
*deleted*
TMI smiley
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:29pm On Jan 13, 2018
Back in the day when smart people roamed the religion section.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

What Is The Most Seemingly Misinterpreted Portion Of The Bible? / What Happens To Olisa Metuh's N300million Bail Money? - Pastor Adeboye's Son / Anglican Church Refuses Man Holy Communion Because Of His Beard. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.