Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,914 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! (36751 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 3:57am On Jan 05, 2014
ifeness:

Besides a lot of brainwash was done at school. Apart from going to religious Sunday schools, christian/ islamic religious knowledge are being taught at school from a very little age. Such a person will grow up to be an educated mentally derailed fellow who have been severely abused with the constant threats of hell fire.
Very true, honestly it takes only an open minded, non ignorant, inquisitive fellow to acknowledge atheism. Breaking free from the shackles of religion especially in a country like Nigeria isn't an easy task.

3 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by adsonstone: 4:50am On Jan 05, 2014
rudedough:

Your types are the Christians who will advocate for a new thread, and later run away when you realize that an Atheist know a lot more than you do about your bible and religion.

Have you read your bible thoroughly? I don't mean memorizing bible verses, i mean reading your bible thoroughly before you engage an Atheist in a religious debate?

Debate?

We're not debating here. Its a dialogue.

However, the 'bible subject' is out.
I never even mentioned bible/religion.

All I said was God, Science, Logic/(critical) reasoning.

If you are interested, open one and invite me.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by adsonstone: 5:01am On Jan 05, 2014
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by ruemu(m): 5:47am On Jan 05, 2014
My humble opinion... D fact that u decide at some point to believe or not to believe gives reasons to think their is a valid need to hold on to sometin/believe. N that sometin is what is draging this discuss... either ways.... God is good.

This is 2014. Lets do bizness. Add value to society and live peacefully n happily.

Either ur a survivor or u'r influencing society. Ur welcome..

Op ... This are. Ur personal issues... pls treat as such and make ur decision with an open mind. D result is Urs.

My 1 cent
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by EreluY(f): 6:09am On Jan 05, 2014
If your mum truly believes that your coming to the world—biologically explainable—is the product of answered prayers, tell her to keep praying that that the same God makes himself/herself known to you—a logical impossibility! If her God now fails to answer her prayers by failing to reveal himself/herself to you despite answering her prayer by allegedly bringing you to this world in the first instance then it's definitely a case of paradoxical impossibility. Best of luck.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by qhiwegh(m): 6:37am On Jan 05, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

Don't you think men have found peace and meaning in life millennia before Jesus came ? And what makes u sure or religion is true above others ?

They might've found false, superficial, and temporary peace, but they have long found out that they were wrong after their deaths.

I'm sure I'm right because I have a personal relationship with my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ in a daily basis, unlike other religions where ceremonies and rituals dominate the supposedly experience with the divine.

My relationship with Jesus has only strengthened each day in the trials and triumphs, in sorrow and joy of my life.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by incrediblestev: 6:43am On Jan 05, 2014
Like okija Juju I stopped believing in religion without neccessarily being influenced, I just couldn't come to terms with many of the incongruous and incredulous submissions of the "good book"......the more I tried to believe the more silly my attempts .... then I turned to history and religious philosophy, I think that even worsened it for me and I just gave up the whole religious charade and just decided to live my life as a person in control of it.

To tell you the truth, I have become a better person since I decided to stop believing religious nonsense, I can better relate with religious folks of different faith without neccessarily having that "you need to be saved chip on my shoulder "...you gain better understanding of life and the human behaviour when you drop those religious inhibitions.

One thing however that I don't do is to flaunt my non-belief indiscriminately to the point where I begin to alienate people or make them feel uncomfortable around me.

Like Robert Green postulates in 48 Laws of power; "think as you like but behave like everyone else".
Your Mum is probably hurt because you flaunt your non-beliefs in her presence and it offends her. Trust me brother, you don't need all that guilt and stress, if you continue that way you might end up incurring some serious loss that is avoidable cos believers are in the majority.

I only share my religious thoughts and ideals with like minds and people that understand deeply the historicity of religion. But when in company of belivers who most of the time are people I deal with, I just get along with their beliefs and share it with them, life is much easier without complications if we are more discreet and respect people's rights to believe or not to believe even when in their own beliefs they don't reciprocate thesame gesture.

All you can do for your mum is act normal and go to church or whatever religious rituals they want you to do with them, don't debate or openly show how ridiculous their beliefs are, you will only be drawing trouble to yourself.
Funny enough, in company of friends, I spent the last 30mins of 2013 in a Catholic Church believing and singing of course to "God" with them, what can be more fulfilling and rejuvenating than showing I have beliefs too..... of course the one I share with them.

7 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by POPEII: 6:48am On Jan 05, 2014
@ ifeness Comon sense
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Missonas(f): 7:04am On Jan 05, 2014
People differ and so have different reasons for refusing to believe God exists.logic,science,life challenges etc The world is evolving but thankgoodness these things are not strange or unexplainable.

@op no one can make her understand better than you and no one can help you understand the phase you are in right now sides God(oh yea to you He don't exist)so you deal.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 7:10am On Jan 05, 2014
An antichrist thread....what am I doing here?
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by EreluY(f): 7:11am On Jan 05, 2014
@ incrediblestev: Sad but true. This reminds me of an ex-Roman Catholic priest who after ditching his faith and vocation decided to go down the route of lecturing in the university. This guy, who received his MPhil from Cambridge and DPhil from Oxford, couldn't get lecturing jobs in Nigerian religious studies departments because he was considered an apostate. When he finally got a job offer in one university where he wasn't previously known, he had to throw in the towel in the end because he simply couldn't tow their crooked, uncultured, intellectually-impotent paths. He left Nigeria in the end and is now an Assistant Professor of Religious Studies in the US. What an absolute SHAME! Nigeria is irredeemably lost.

3 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 7:13am On Jan 05, 2014
Babymumsy: An antichrist thread....what am I doing here?

grin grin
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by incrediblestev: 7:15am On Jan 05, 2014
On a more serious note, I believe people will get into trouble less if they choose not to make a show of their non-belief and just act like everyone else.

In my house I don't go to church but when my family members are around and may be there is something like a thanksgiving or something similar they need me to attend with them, I willingly oblige them. It is pointless trying to convince a believer or make them see reasons, you will only be risking your relationship with them and coming across as some demon possessed person..... religion is a very strong and sensitive issue for one to be debating openly with people who have largely been indoctrinated and brainwashed right from time immemorial.

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:24am On Jan 05, 2014
rudedough: Your mum must be a gentle woman, she was pleading with you shocked shocked After my mum discovered i was an Atheist, i was still in bed one good morning when some men came into my room. grin grin Mehn come see prayer, casting out devil from who dey sleep... The Pastor just poured heavy "OIL" on my head... i come go vex oo, na there the prayer come worse.. Even my mum was at the corner, shouting "Holy Ghost Fire". cheesy cheesy

Man in case they bring those Prayer warriors to your house, i beg you, don't ever show any sign of aggression... Just relax and let them do their prayer and leave jeje, or else... Someone's gonna get hurt... grin grin

You are one crazy nigger

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by MaziOmenuko: 7:24am On Jan 05, 2014
peterphd:

If atheism is a religion then abstinence is a se.xual position.

grin grin

Would luv to try that new position out cheesy
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:32am On Jan 05, 2014
Ishilove: I wish I could see the op's mum to speak with her one to one. I would tell her to leave her son be because we war not with the flesh. She should go back to God who gave her that son and ask Him to reveal Himself to the boy. Just one experience with the God that he has rejected and his life will be changed forever.

Op, tell your mum to that she should continue to pray for you and if her God is real, He will reveal Himself. As for you, one day, when you feel inclined to, just casually address the air around you. Say from the depth of your heart: "If you are real Yahweh, show yourself." And leave it that.

You are in for a surprise. It won't be instantaneous, but it will come when you least expect it. wink

I have made that statements countlessly, If you are real Yahweh, show yourself. Anyday Yahweh shows himself I'll gladly drop atheism!
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by incrediblestev: 7:32am On Jan 05, 2014
Erelu_Y: @ incrediblestev: Sad but true. This reminds me of an ex-Roman Catholic priest who after ditching his faith and vocation decided to go down the route of lecturing in the university. This guy, who received his MPhil from Cambridge and DPhil from Oxford, couldn't get lecturing jobs in Nigerian religious studies departments because he was considered an apostate. When he finally got a job offer in one university where he wasn't previously known, he had to throw in the towel in the end because he simply couldn't tow their crooked, uncultured, intellectually impotent paths. He left Nigeria in the end and is now an Assistant Professor of Religious Studies in the US. What an absolute SHAME! Nigeria is irredeemably lost.
imagine what the man had to face just for being a non-believer, religion is very dangerous, especially when dealing with the very organized ones like the Catholics and Islam with very powerful institutions and political power.
They can choose to make things difficult for you in places that matter, from seeking a job, having a career or even having a relationship.

It goes beyond believing in a God that needs to serviced through organized worship and gathering, it seeks to control or regulate people and their thought process, its major aim is power not neccessarily a God.

That is why it is very dangerous to argue openly against it especially as a young person with very and promising future looking ahead. I respect people's choice of religion even when I don't agree with their beliefs. I only argue or debate with ignorant notions they sometimes put up about their religion being the only way to a fulfilled life and eternal life..... I once told a Christian friend who kept disturbing me about eternal life, I asked, "what is the use of an eternal life that according to your bible is synonymous with slavery in heaven, as I won't be entitled to free will, thought process or even allowed to make a mistake and learn from it, who wants to live the boring life of perfection, definitely not me.

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 7:39am On Jan 05, 2014
Okija_juju:

Well...

People need God to explain the the that are beyond their comprehension and that they are too lazy to investigate..

I may not be the type to say their is no God, but all I can say is that if he indeed exists, I have not seen a darn thing he has done..

#FACT.

As plaetton said, 'God is the gourd in which all of our ignorance is stored' .

Everything the common man doesn't understand or explain, he doesn't try to research or try to know. He attributes it to God. It is easier for him that way.

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 7:42am On Jan 05, 2014
Babymumsy: An antichrist thread....what am I doing here?

LOL.

NL must be an antichrist website too grin grin grin
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by maryhaam(f): 7:47am On Jan 05, 2014
oluafolabi:
LOL.
NL must be an antichrist website too grin grin grin
Seem so coz all this sftuff am reading is scary,arrrrgh
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:51am On Jan 05, 2014
jewel4Hiscrown:

1. The fact that you love your mom (and are this concerned about her) proves that there is a God. Think about it.

Do I need a god to love my mum? Do I need a god to make my mum smile and make her happy knowing I'm her only son?

This is the problem with religion, you innate abilty of showing compassion and love does not originate from any god. Esp Allah and Yahweh who their holy book depicts blood sucking,jealous and vindictive beings; even though we know they don't exist,those books were written by those that worship them to further their rascist and wicked agendas!
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 7:51am On Jan 05, 2014
"My task in this world has been to lead man's
spirit by a natural path to those things beyond
nature which belong to him by right,but which he
has completely lost the concept of,either by his
debasement or by the false instruction of those
who have taught him."
---Louis Claude De Saint Martin
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 8:04am On Jan 05, 2014
DJDOLA: U can never see a muslim become an atheist..but see a good christian dat will turn 2 atheist
There is a formal muslin on this furum that is now an atheist.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by incrediblestev: 8:12am On Jan 05, 2014
Ishilove:
Lol. The bolded is the reason why I will NEVER date or marry an atheist.

Like the late obadiah777 will say: "I aint getting nuked for no gaddem heathen" lwkmd cheesy cheesy
only a slow person will quote or even view Obadiah as a Christian role model, that dude is dense and is in the habit of making things up.
I laughed my boxers to shitts in an argument he had with a poster in which he claimed isreal was the first man on earth, bad enough for him, the guy he was arguing with was obviously smarter and more knowledgeable than him, he made minced meat out of him.
Next time quote better Christians like Pastor Play or Frosbel with a better understanding of what they are arguing, not that I agree with their arguments though but the premise of their arguments are usually informed...... by the way, is the Obadiah guy late? as in dead?
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by muscar: 8:14am On Jan 05, 2014
Hmm How funny a world. Some people are christains by name, some others by birth and some by influence. To be candid, an alarming amount of people that go to church are not christains, some don't even know they are not,for all they know they were born into a christain family and had to follow the footsteps of their parents.

You will ALWAYS get nothing out of nothing.

Religion is a personal thing. If you as a person have not felt that 'feeling', the kind that comes from internal revelation and stability,then my dear you, whether you are a regular church-goer, pastor or a chior mistress...

You are not yet a christain. You never were.

You are just a follower of a religious society not a follower of christ.

Op, the choice you have made,I respect it as every other religious groups.

Open your mind,soul and body and try to be born-again for your own self, But if you still choose to remain who you are...

Who am I to judge you? A nobody.

Though tough,try to sit and have a heart to heart conversation with Mom. It is just one of a scared mother's empty threats...she for one knows what the bible says about commiting suicide.

...And lastly, as for people asking for a physical picture or a video clip of a 'living God', I am sorry that I have none to present other than myself, for I am a Living proof of a living God.

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by laclass(m): 8:24am On Jan 05, 2014
i will advise you to read this 32 page brochure WAS LIFE CREATED? published by Jehovah's witnesses in their website JW.ORG it really explains well on how life was created and evolutionary theory by Charles Darwin after reading it you will have every reason to believe that God really exist.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by peterphd(m): 8:26am On Jan 05, 2014
muhamm3d: Am nt trying to b critical here bt i actually dd alot of research b4 i stayed a muslim...wen i read d bible i saw dt dere were too many confusions really. Jesus died on d cross and rose after 3days to were. How dd he fly? Wings or broom? Another fin is he died fr my sins how com if i do bad i stil get to enter hell fire? Another fin is hw com wen he ws on d cross he prayed to God and asked him y h hs forsaken him? If he ws lord who ws he ptaying to himself? Christmas is nt in d bible how com all xtians celeb crismas? Jesus never said anywhr in d bible dt he ws d lord God and wen he goes pray to me! He nver said, hw com xtians refer to him as d lord? Jesus is Gods son? Who is Gods wife? Or dd he just appear? U see too many unxplainable fins.... dere are too mny magics in d bible pls i cnt comprehend. Bt wen i read d quran it sounds real and everyday wen i do dat i thank God fr atlist trying it out. Muhammed(s.a.w) ws concieved and he ws born just lik a nomal person. Nobody worships him we worship Allah, hes just human and nofin seems lik outta d ordinary,he married and had children jus lik u and i...as per d many wives he ws actually just shelterin most of ds women were just sheltered by him and nt dt dey hv kids fr him contrary to popular beliefs. Due to d war den most of ds women lost deir husbnds and kids and bcame homless so he housed dem...its jus lik dangote saying he wnts to house all d widows in sudan does dt mean he wnts to sleep with all of dem? I cn relate wth dat cs its actually wt i can do. As per op am nt gonna ever say u shd chnge to muslim or xtian or pagan or stay ath, i wil jst ask u to pick a copy of d quran just read it azin jus read dnt read cs u wana chnge to islam just read it lik u wana evn knw wt dey shout about and see. As fr me wd hv said dere is no God or Allah too bt hw com wen i ask him fr wt i want he gves me almost imediately. Dt means hes dere now abi or if its d power of universe hw com wen i dnt ask it doesnt happn? And fr d freethinkers on nairaland y spend so much tim trying to convinc dt dere is no God do u knw by doin dt dt mkes it a religion? U shouldnt try cajole any1 dt he shd stay unbelievin cos dt doesnt mk u better dn d xtians and muslims cos we all trying to convince each other fr wat we believe in.

This is not true.We know the Arabs copied the Jewish books .How do you expect us to believe that a man saw an angel, went into mental fits and wrote a divine book? How do you want us to believe there's a pörn party in paradise? You think Jesus riding from the dead is ridiculous? How about Muhammed riding a winged beast to heaven? I say bullshit!

2 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 8:32am On Jan 05, 2014
muscar: Hmm How funny a world. Some people are christains by name, some others by birth and some by influence. To be candid, an alarming amount of people that go to church are not christains, some don't even know they are not,for all they know they were born into a christain family and had to follow the footsteps of their parents.

You will ALWAYS get nothing out of nothing.

Religion is a personal thing. If you as a person have not felt that 'feeling', the kind that comes from internal revelation and stability,then my dear you, whether you are a regular church-goer, pastor or a chior mistress...

You are not yet a christain. You never were.

You are just a follower of a religious society not a follower of christ.

Op, the choice you have made,I respect it as every other religious groups.

Open your mind,soul and body and try to be born-again for your own self, But if you still choose to remain who you are...

Who am I to judge you? A nobody.

Though tough,try to sit and have a heart to heart conversation with Mom. It is just one of a scared mother's empty threats...she for one knows what the bible says about commiting suicide.

...And lastly, as for people asking for a physical picture or a video clip of a 'living God', I am sorry that I have none to present other than myself, for I am a Living proof of a living God.

Just in case you missed your integrated Science classes on "LIVING THINGS". Let me remind you of the characteristics of a LIVING thing.

* Living Things are Composed of Cells
* Living Things Use Energy
* Living Things Have Different levels of Organization
* Living Things Respond To Stimuli
* Living Things Grow
* Living Things Reproduce
* Living Things Adapt To Their Environment

Please point out which of the above character(s) your God possess that qualifies him as a "LIVING" God.

2 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by peterphd(m): 8:34am On Jan 05, 2014
Mazi_Omenuko:

grin grin

Would luv to try that new position out cheesy

mazi , you wan abstain? Lol
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Rapsainot(m): 8:49am On Jan 05, 2014
Legit: Organise religion is confusing and causing so many division, among families and ppl of the world. The truth is nobody knows the truth, we are all following our parents doctrine. There are many religion in the world, all of them claimed they are the right path, hence, we are ALL confused. I think we should follow our conscience as our guide, because no matter your religion, somebody will tell say you are on the wrong path. Atheism is an absolute that there's no god, they don't know either. The best and honest following is Agnostic, who believe that nobody know, they are on the fence per se, and that is the only honest assesment. So, follow your conscience and let your mom
know, she cannot save you on the judgment day, if there's one. Everywo/man for him/her self. My 2cents
The best reply so far
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by pendusky(m): 8:49am On Jan 05, 2014
If u r not OK with d Bible and it inconsistencies, then try Islam and read d Quran (with English translation), u will find out it makes more sense!- my personal opinion since am a Muslim.
he wasnt talking abt moslem here brother!
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by ibrokola(m): 8:50am On Jan 05, 2014
mazaje:

I always prefer christains than muslims when it comes to this. . .My family had to leave in the dead of the night when my mum converted us back to christianity after my dad died. . .A muslim father will happily kill his son for becoming an atheist. . .Muslims see atheist less than animals. . .islam is a very dangerous religion when it comes to such issues. . .

Who is the impersonator claiming to be a Muslim? Its guys like you that give the world the wrong impression that Islam is evil!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply)

Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders / Pandemonium, As Fire Razes Oritsejafor’s Warri Church / Prophet Oladele Genesis Gives Widow Church Offering, Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.