Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,978 members, 7,817,882 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! (36750 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by ibrokola(m): 8:58am On Jan 05, 2014
mazaje:

You think becoming a muslim will make his mum happy? . . .

@ OP, the damage has been done but, I feel you can pretend if you can just for the sake of your family. . . .That's pretend to accept Jesus. . .

Its not about impressing his Mom, its about finding his purpose in life and understanding why he was created!

@OP, try to understand Islam, not with biase but objectivity! I assure you that you'll find fulfilment.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 9:02am On Jan 05, 2014
ibrokola:

Its not about impressing his Mom, its about finding his purpose in life and understanding why he was created!

@OP, try to understand Islam, not with biase but objectivity! I assure you that you'll find fulfilment.

Is the op asking you about finding purpose in life and why he was created?

Face the topic and stop derailing with this islam nonsense
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by ibrokola(m): 9:15am On Jan 05, 2014
mazaje:

There is no god but Allah and mohammed is his messenger, my brother you are on the wrong path. . You will rot in Allah's hell unless you believe in him and accept his religion which is islam. . .say what ever you want but you will definitely remember this post some day. . .

mazaje(m): 4:49pm On Jan 01

I always prefer christains than muslims when it comes to this. . .My family had to leave in the dead of the night when my mum converted us back to christianity after my dad died. . .A muslim father will happily kill his son for becoming an atheist. . .Muslims see atheist less than animals. . .islam is a very dangerous religion when it comes to such issues. . .

ALL I SEE IS A HYPOCRITE DESPERATE TO GIVE ISLAM A BAD NAME!
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Alpacheners(m): 9:20am On Jan 05, 2014
Let her free her self
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Infomizer(m): 9:36am On Jan 05, 2014
Okija_juju:

Also from the mouth of Jesus

Matthew 23:17 "You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred?"

And...

Luke 11:40 You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also?

Judge Jesus by his words...

Dont ask me, Ask Jesus.. The gods are wise..

This is epic!
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by nnofaith: 9:37am On Jan 05, 2014
DJDOLA: U can never see a muslim become an atheist..but see a good christian dat will turn 2 atheist
Thats not true, i was born and bred muslim, went to koranic school and all that. Now i am more atheist than Richard Dawkins!

7 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 9:39am On Jan 05, 2014
Hahaah!!hohohohoh
I tot I was d only one wid wild imaginations!!mmy issues lies wid d book of revelation
Letz think about this;imagine an ancient ptophet transported from d biblical times when there were just horses,knives,spears to dz modern age with our motor bikes,cars,aeroplanes,,electricity,gunS, skyscrapers etc
If u tell that propphet to write an account of what he had seen,what do u think he would write smiley
Thatz ur book of revelationsmmhe probably saw a vision of the second world war and described it in hz own little understanding
The '666' may be bank accounts,voters card,health records etc which r used by d government to keep records of its citizens I wonder hw they wouldav explained the internet smiley
The chariot of fire may be proppeller fighter jets or even rockets
U can add urs here smiley
kj_hova:

Add talking snakes & monsters with seven heads & chariots of fire that rush people off to heaven!!!! The bible has them all!

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by SIRANDREWS: 9:43am On Jan 05, 2014
laclass: i will advise you to read this 32 page brochure WAS LIFE CREATED? published by Jehovah's witnesses in their website JW.ORG it really explains well on how life was created and evolutionary theory by Charles Darwin after reading it you will have every reason to believe that God really exist.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 10:00am On Jan 05, 2014
I'm a. Strong xtian btw smiley smiley smiley
desdichando: Hahaah!!hohohohoh
I tot I was d only one wid wild imaginations!!mmy issues lies wid d book of revelation
Letz think about this;imagine an ancient ptophet transported from d biblical times when there were just horses,knives,spears to dz modern age with our motor bikes,cars,aeroplanes,,electricity,gunS, skyscrapers etc
If u tell that propphet to write an account of what he had seen,what do u think he would write smiley
Thatz ur book of revelationsmmhe probably saw a vision of the second world war and described it in hz own little understanding
The '666' may be bank accounts,voters card,health records etc which r used by d government to keep records of its citizens I wonder hw they wouldav explained the internet smiley
The chariot of fire may be proppeller fighter jets or even rockets
U can add urs here smiley
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by tushd(m): 10:18am On Jan 05, 2014
Im not an athiest...i dont bliv in jesus, i dont bliv in hell or heaven, i dont bliv in allah or any other god..i dont do religion but i bealive in God..i bliv in d creation, if u av a bible the old testament is wia u will knw the real God, new testament of jesus is just blasphemous...do u realize that all d twelve disciples of jesus died cos of this and religion call them matyrs..only john that wrote d revelation was saved..nd in that book u will find d truth..dia was nothing like religion in d old testament, just people that av personal relationship with God like abraham,isaac, joseph, elijah,noah nd so on......God is real, nd does nt blong to any religion
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Ghost01(m): 10:21am On Jan 05, 2014
Sit your mum down and explain to her. In fact if it comes to picking at (the doctrines of) her religion, then do it. I'm the only atheist in my family. When it comes to prayer and/or worship times (which is very occasional), I just go there to stand and stare (if at all I decide to join) and dance etighi if the song in rendition is a 'sweet' one. However, everyone knows my stance on religion. The one frustrating thing I have to put up with is everyone going on one prayer-chant or the other every now and then and my having to say 'amen' or 'yes sir/ma' at the end of every line. Even though I don't believe in the skywizard they invoke, we are, at least, energy fields; we radiate energy. Do the needful, sit your mum down and talk to her. I didn't tell my dad about my aversion to Godism until after I graduated from school because I was worried about what he'll say/think, but after I told, we had a normal 'friend-to-friend' discussion and that was it. If you end up changing your view on God just to please her, you'll end up being angry at yourself and at her, in the long run. Salaam!
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by prinsaysk: 10:34am On Jan 05, 2014
Funny thread, I think incrediblestev gave the most matured advice. We all have our realities,I don't know if there is a god but am so flawed I wil rather believe in a higher power than not believe, its so much easier believing in something bigger than me being on my own.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Lordskenn(m): 10:36am On Jan 05, 2014
victwi: Very funny... People advertising their different religions. There are only two things that can happen... Either the one true God, the maker of heaven and earth, the one whose son is Jesus, arrests you like he did Paul. (in this case u will be very lucky) or whenever you die, you learn the very hard way that there is a God, who is a loving God and a consuming fire @ the same time.
I'd just say... Keep living your life, keep your mind open and if God pleases, he will reveal himself to you. As for your mum, she's one of the best mums on earth, I'm sure. kiss
thanks for this bro. Just that most people have given their mind to foolishness. Even they see God comes down from heaven, they will not believe.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 05, 2014
tonididdy: this THREAD serves as an eye opener to everybody....i personally dont know what to beleive in, i had a christian childhood and have STUCK to that uptill now BUT reading every comment now, i dont shun or belittle any ''as we all have a point''.
what if christianity or islam or buddism isnt the way to ETERNAL GLORY and hinduism IS or vice versa...what then?...do we all perish then for our ignorance or mistakes? bECAUSE SAME WAY CHRIStianity dey shack we christians (that we are so sure its the right religion to heaven,) SAME WAY other religions are sure there's is the right way.

THERE HAS TO BE AN EXPLANATION For ALL THIS.

a REAL HIGHER BEING help us all...amen
same here bro. I don't know what to bliv again. I gave up on religion 4 years ago when i started using my brain. I use to wonder den of wat use is d kind of fasting my church use 2 subject us 2 den on behalf of Nigeria, yet dis country is still backward. All in d name of xtianity, many tins happened 2 me until i broke loose nd became free. Now dat am free, am enjoyin myself and my life. I live a normal life, i do good and give 2 d needy. My point is xtianity or islam has nofin 2 do wit moral standards. Nobody dare dictates 2 me again, d kind of clothes 2 put on, d kind of food 2 eat etc. Its my life and i'll live it how i wanna live it. If d way i live my life will warant me goin 2 hell, den so be it! I dnt bliv in hell anyway. I give up on religion!
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by collins123(m): 10:57am On Jan 05, 2014
[size=18pt]Currently reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

An eye opener, I must say!
[/size]

3 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by peterphd(m): 11:04am On Jan 05, 2014
tushd: Im not an athiest...i dont bliv in jesus, i dont bliv in hell or heaven, i dont bliv in allah or any other god..i dont do religion but i bealive in God..i bliv in d creation, if u av a bible the old testament is wia u will knw the real God, new testament of jesus is just blasphemous...do u realize that all d twelve disciples of jesus died cos of this and religion call them matyrs..only john that wrote d revelation was saved..nd in that book u will find d truth..dia was nothing like religion in d old testament, just people that av personal relationship with God like abraham,isaac, joseph, elijah,noah nd so on......God is real, nd does nt blong to any religion

What is this bullshit? You don't believe in the bible god, Jesus (Jesus and yahweh claim to be the same persons) and then you redirect us to the bible? Nonsense, I might as well discover god while reading the yoruba creation story about how a chicken spread sand on the earth!
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by onetrack(m): 11:05am On Jan 05, 2014
And what if, for example, there is a god who allowed men to create religions and influence people, but the only people who are rewarded in the afterlife are those people who see that religions are man-made and put them aside? shocked

2 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by peterphd(m): 11:07am On Jan 05, 2014
ibrokola: mazaje:

There is no god but Allah and mohammed is his messenger, my brother you are on the wrong path. . You will rot in Allah's hell unless you believe in him and accept his religion which is islam. . .say what ever you want but you will definitely remember this post some day. . .

mazaje(m): 4:49pm On Jan 01

I always prefer christains than muslims when it comes to this. . .My family had to leave in the dead of the night when my mum converted us back to christianity after my dad died. . .A muslim father will happily kill his son for becoming an atheist. . .Muslims see atheist less than animals. . .islam is a very dangerous religion when it comes to such issues. . .

ALL I SEE IS A HYPOCRITE DESPERATE TO GIVE ISLAM A BAD NAME!

Guy go over the thread again.He was only showing how the Christian claim that Jesus is the way is the same as Muhammed for the Muslims.Its not as if your own is even true
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by scarred9jan(m): 11:09am On Jan 05, 2014
Lordskenn: thanks for this bro. Just that most people have given their mind to foolishness. Even they see God comes down from heaven, they will not believe.

Let him/her come down first before we start thinking of believing or not.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by hollypagan: 11:13am On Jan 05, 2014
what is our business being athesim and ur mum boy take time and dont post this Rubbi-sh again
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by kjhova(m): 11:26am On Jan 05, 2014
@OP & everyone else who are trying to reconcile atheism with everyday relationship in god belts like Nigeria, remember the important thing is your mental health.

Try letting the other person know that you love them & appreciate their concern for you. Then let them know that you are not worshiping the devil as you obviously don't believe in the existence of any such entity anyway. This is necessary as many Nigerians equate atheism to devil worship. Remind them of good family friends who worship a different god & how harmonious relationship has been with them. They should see you in that light too. Inform them of great icons who didn't believe in any god too; Soyinka, Mandela, Jobs, Oprah etc. Compare these people with certain devoted god folks like Osama, Abacha, Bush, Fatoyinbo & the local evangelist in your area who everyone knows his or her shenanigans.

Ultimately, let them know that you are happy & feel fulfilled & would appreciate if they respect your opinion even as you do theirs. They will come around to accept your position even if they never agree with it.

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by tete7000(m): 11:29am On Jan 05, 2014
MeandSum:

I feel for you. I was in the same boat 20 years ago. My Mom was afraid of what people would say, how god would punish me and stuff like that.
fast forward to 20 years later our conversion usually ends with her saying "Thanks. I'm very proud of you! God bless you".

Just maintain your moral compass (trust me, morality has nothing to do with God - people who "know" they'll be forgiven by some "ever loving" God tend to commit more crimes). With clarity of mind that comes from knowing everything depends on you and not some made up God you'll achieve greatness and stability in life.
You erred. Morality has a lot to do with God. When morality is defined without God, morals become subjective; something we define to suit our fancy. With God you have a universal code of morals. What a Chinese Christian considers ethically right is what a Nigerian Christian considers appropriate, vis-a-vis an American Christian.
The issue of people not living their faith is an entirely different issue and has nothing to do with faith. Infact a Christian who doesn't live out his faith is as godless as an atheist for Christianity is not in name but in living. The first Christians are called Christians because their lives mimics Christ's. Finally if I won't trust a man who claims to believe in God, then there is no way I can trust an atheist. Reason: An atheist has no foundation upon which he builds his morals, if he is faced with difficult situation, he easily jettison that which he considers ethical and follows the path that gratifies his personal aggradizement. In short he lives only in flesh and will always seek to satisfy his flesh.
As per the OP I have no advice for you. I only pray your mum's pain and agony to not be in vain. May God open your eyes of understanding and pull you out from your pride so that you may come to know and appreciate the truth. If you need to go through some form of pain, sickness and suffering to arrive at the truth, it's my prayer for the sake of your mother that you go through such. AMEN
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by deeptesting(m): 11:37am On Jan 05, 2014
incrediblestev: On a more serious note, I believe people will get into trouble less if they choose not to make a show of their non-belief and just act like everyone else.

In my house I don't go to church but when my family members are around and may be there is something like a thanksgiving or something similar they need me to attend with them, I willingly oblige them. It is pointless trying to convince a believer or make them see reasons, you will only be risking your relationship with them and coming across as some demon possessed person..... religion is a very strong and sensitive issue for one to be debating openly with people who have largely been indoctrinated and brainwashed right from time immemorial.

I do agree with you on some certain basis " think differently but act like everyone". However, as an Atheist I will not be cajoled to attend any church service for the fear of been ostracized or called a "demon". People do invite me to church and if I have the time I do honor their invitation.You have only one life to live and it must be a definition of who you are irrespective of what other people think or say about you.

4 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 11:44am On Jan 05, 2014
onetrack: And what if, for example, there is a god who allowed men to create religions and influence people, but the only people who are rewarded in the afterlife are those people who see that religions are man-made and put them aside? shocked

shocked shocked undecided
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by kjhova(m): 11:54am On Jan 05, 2014
tete7000:
You erred. Morality has a lot to do with God. When morality is defined without God, morals become subjective; something we define to suit our fancy. With God you have a universal code of morals. What a Chinese Christian considers ethically right is what a Nigerian Christian considers appropriate, vis-a-vis an American Christian.
The issue of people not living their faith is an entirely different issue and has nothing to do with faith. Infact a Christian who doesn't live out his faith is as godless as an atheist for Christianity is not in name but in living. The first Christians are called Christians because their lives mimics Christ's. Finally if I won't trust a man who claims to believe in God, then there is no way I can trust an atheist. Reason: An atheist has no foundation upon which he builds his morals, if he is faced with difficult situation, he easily jettison that which he considers ethical and follows the path that gratifies his personal aggradizement. In short he lives only in flesh and will always seek to satisfy his flesh.
As per the OP I have no advice for you. I only pray your mum's pain and agony to not be in vain. May God open your eyes of understanding and pull you out from your pride so that you may come to know and appreciate the truth. If you need to go through some form of pain, sickness and suffering to arrive at the truth, it's my prayer for the sake of your mother that you go through such. AMEN

Well, it's not true that people of the same religion have standard behavioural code. Don't even go from Nigeria to China. Let's stay here in Nigeria & compare the beliefs & dogma of the various denominations of both christianity & islam. Alcohol is wrong to some while its ok for others. Some don't use jewelries while some use jewelries. Some won't marry a pregnant couple in church while some would.

You see morality is always relative & has never been a fixed compass. & if you suppose that aethist have shifty moral standards, can you sincerely say christians don't shift moral grounds too? You may say those are bad christians then we can tell you of bad atheists too.

Morality has nothing to do with gods or religion. It is the hinge point of intelligence. It is the main item that separates intelligent beings from instinctive animals & we don't know how many intelligent species exist all over the universe.

BTW, talking of morals & shiftiness, read the bible & see how even your god & his worshippers moral code have shifted from Genesis all the way to Revelations! From kill your enemy to love your enemies!

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by tete7000(m): 12:20pm On Jan 05, 2014
kj_hova:

Well, it's not true that people of the same religion have standard behavioural code. Don't even go from Nigeria to China. Let's stay here in Nigeria & compare the beliefs & dogma of the various denominations of both christianity & islam. Alcohol is wrong to some while its ok for others. Some don't use jewelries while some use jewelries. Some won't marry a pregnant couple in church while some would.

You see morality is always relative & has never been a fixed compass. & if you suppose that aethist have shifty moral standards, can you sincerely say christians don't shift moral grounds too? You may say those are bad christians then we can tell you of bad atheists too.

Morality has nothing to do with gods or religion. It is the hinge point of intelligence. It is the main item that separates intelligent beings from instinctive animals & we don't know how many intelligent species exist all over the universe.

BTW, talking of morals & shiftiness, read the bible & see how even your god & his worshippers moral code have shifted from Genesis all the way to Revelations! From kill your enemy to love your enemies!
The basic moral code in Christianity which is the TEN COMMANDMENT has never changed and remain the same till date. What seems to have cause confusion is how to arrive at what the commandments require. For instance what constitute stealing and what constitute fornication, adultery, etc. This has been the major bane in Christendom. However deep in the heart of God nothing has changed in the law.
On your argument on the fact that rules changed in the bible from Genesis to Revelation, I totally disagree. A Christian God is one who progressively revealed himself to man from Genesis to Revelation. Everything in the bible is about one Individual: CHRIST. He is the ultimate Revelation of God, the One who is the Ultimate fulfilment of the Law. When He ascended He sent the Spirit to further lead humanity to all truth. The truth does not change, for Christ says I am the truth and Life.
On whether there are bad atheist, I am not sure there is a good one or bad one. I only know they are a group of people who are united by one common goal: to deny existence of God. They never postulated a universal doctrine of behavior. They seem to speak with one language as far as they need to attack God. Remove God and cold war similar to one between the Americans and Russians immediately after Germany- a common enemy capitulated will develop. Your people have no code of conduct that unite them, Christians at least even with infighting still have basis upon which they agree or disagree as may apply depending on whether you are talking inter or intra denominational.
Finally an atheist like you cannot understand or translate the scripture which requires FAITH rather than pure REASON to understand, as such you cannot be in a position to lecture a faithful person about an experience you do not posses. If you seek my experience throw reason away and adopt FAITH without which no man can please God

2 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:22pm On Jan 05, 2014
ok, op. try this:

Tell you mum that you want to believe again but you need her help. Ask her to explain the religion, god etc to you. If she says go to pastor or someone else for help, say no. Tell, her that you need her guidance as she is the only person you care about and the only one you can trust. Tell her that if she truly loves you, she'll make the effort to save you from eternal damnation. If she bites and starts preaching, wait until she mentions the Bible or passages from it. Tell her you are interested in studying the Bible with her. Bring a Bible and ask her to explain certain passages to you. Don't let her revert to directing you to another person or the holy spirit. Tell her that you need her herself to explain those passages.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jan 05, 2014
Okija_juju:

Well...

People need God to explain the the that are beyond their comprehension and that they are too lazy to investigate..

I may not be the type to say their is no God, but all I can say is that if he indeed exists, I have not seen a darn thing he has done..
Becuase you choose not to see. It doesn't make you more of a man but just another person who have decided to exicise his power of free will. If u care to see what God have done, you will see.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by onetrack(m): 12:45pm On Jan 05, 2014
tete7000:

Slavery is perfectly 'legal' in Christianity. Nice morality there.

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Idrizz(m): 12:46pm On Jan 05, 2014
If u r not OK with d Bible and it inconsistencies, then try Islam and read d Quran (with English translation), u will find out it makes more sense!- my personal opinion since am a Muslim.

So you support the Al-Quran that says if you kill an infidel, you go straight to Aljanah?
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Oluwaseytiano(m): 12:49pm On Jan 05, 2014
SIR ANDREWS: I would happily dance in hell fire. it would be much fun over there than the boring heAven
i pray u see the light
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by tete7000(m): 12:52pm On Jan 05, 2014
onetrack:

Slavery is perfectly 'legal' in Christianity. Nice morality there.
What is this one saying? A confused mind, a product of atheism!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply)

Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders / Pandemonium, As Fire Razes Oritsejafor’s Warri Church / Prophet Oladele Genesis Gives Widow Church Offering, Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.