Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,019 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

The Battered Wife Syndrome? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Battered Wife Syndrome? (3676 Views)

Should She Be Beaten And Battered Or Abandoned To Her Fate / Lamentations Of A Battered Husband / Battered, Bruised But Still Hanging On To Your Boyfriend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Battered Wife Syndrome? by eldee(m): 10:02pm On Aug 06, 2008
Was reading on the net about one convicted killer, she was arrested for killing her husband
Fine, there's nothing new bout sumn like that, but the funny part is the fact that she claimed it was 'self defence'

This is kinda strange given the fact that she shot her husband in his sleep
He was defenceless, at his weakest, posing no threat to her safety at that exact moment

Her defence lawyer claimed she was suffering from the after-effect of consistent abuse, he pled the battered woman syndrome

My question is Is this 'syndrome' not just another attempt by the law to leave a loophole for criminals to escape?
Since it has been proven that every killer does so for a reason, why should women be allowed to kill because of fear'
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by KarmaMod(f): 10:06pm On Aug 06, 2008
Just because her defence lawyer came up with some wackjob defence doesnt mean she will be allowed to escape

In his sleep, that's pretty much premeditated, I dont see her getting off the hook anytime soon
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by onyinye2(f): 10:07pm On Aug 06, 2008
I studied this when i was younger. When a women is stripped of her dignity, constantly beaten, self esteem lost, and every control of her life in given to her man, of course there is going to be some psychological side effects. So im surprised when i hear a story like this. i don't condone it but im not surprised. instead of sending her to jail or free, she should be sent to a professional doctor for help.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by nubila(f): 10:15pm On Aug 06, 2008
Killing out of fear sounds like self defense.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by eldee(m): 10:15pm On Aug 06, 2008
KarmaMod:

Just because her defence lawyer came up with some wackjob defence doesnt mean she will be allowed to escape

In his sleep, that's pretty much premeditated, I don't see her getting off the hook anytime soon
Actually, it is now being accepted as a case of self-defence especially in the UK
It works mostly when the lawyers ask for a jury, instead of the sole judge
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by dreeldee: 10:17pm On Aug 06, 2008
nubila:

Killing out of fear sounds like self defense.

he posed no threat, he was asleep

@post i think she deserves to be shot while in an unconscious state
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by onyinye2(f): 10:18pm On Aug 06, 2008
dreeldee:

@post i think she deserves to be shot while in an unconscious state too
No, she should be sent to psychological help.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by nubila(f): 10:21pm On Aug 06, 2008
dreeldee:

@post i think she deserves to be shot while in an unconscious state

Would it have been any better to kill him when he had his eyes open and looking str8 at her? Do you think her chances of living would have been good? If this was the only time that was safe to defend herself and her life depended on it, hey, got to do what you go to do.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by KarmaMod(f): 10:26pm On Aug 06, 2008
eldee:

Actually, it is now being accepted as a case of self-defence especially in the UK
It work mostly when the lawyers asks for a jury, instead of the sole judge

and how many has actually gotten off the hook?

jury eh? hmm. what a surprise.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by dreeldee: 10:28pm On Aug 06, 2008
nubila:

Would it have been any better to kill him when he had his eyes open and looking str8 at her? Do you think her chances of living would have been good? If this was the only time that was safe to defend herself and her life depended on it, hey, got to do what you go to do.

does that means wives killing their hubbies because they're being assaulted is the solution instead of walking out undecided
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by HCH3COO: 10:29pm On Aug 06, 2008
nubila:

lol stupid excuse. grin grin
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by nubila(f): 10:29pm On Aug 06, 2008
KarmaMod:

and how many has actually gotten off the hook?

jury eh? hmm. what a surprise.

You would be suprised how many are getting of the hook.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by onyinye2(f): 10:33pm On Aug 06, 2008
Yall don't know how hard it is to walk out of an abusive relationship. You want to leave but you can't. He controls. From what you think about to what you do. You don't see yourself worthy of any man because your man killed your self esteem. There are nights you just dream that you will wake up in a different bed in a different world. But wake up to see your tamer lying right beside you. I can only imagine what that lady was thinking when she brought her heat and coped a bullet in his head.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Aug 06, 2008
onyinye2:

Yall don't know how hard it is to walk out of an abusive relationship. You want to leave but you can't. He controls. From what you think about to what you do. You don't see yourself worthy of any man because your man killed your self esteem. There are nights you just dream that you will wake up in a different bed in a different world. But wake up to see your tamer lying right beside you. I can only imagine what that lady was thinking when she brought her heat and coped a bullet in his head.

am sure she was thinking of how to get her self-Esteem, honestly a bullet fits anybody that beats up his wife,that's lame. grin
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by StephenP(m): 10:42pm On Aug 06, 2008
That's some BS. She's going to jail. Self defense should only be used when you are being attacked at that moment and you fought back and "unfortunately" killed the attacker.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by KarmaMod(f): 10:43pm On Aug 06, 2008
Are you defending the fact that she shot him oyinye?

It would have made more sense if she shot him DURING the abuse, but instead she waited til he was alseep?

That's garbage and can only work in the UK.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by onyinye2(f): 10:46pm On Aug 06, 2008
KarmaMod:

Are you defending the fact that she shot him oyinye?

It would have made more sense if she shot him DURING the abuse, but instead she waited til he was alseep?

That's garbage and can only work in the UK.
I don't support any type of killing. Im just saying that is obvious this women isn't sane. That mentally is very distorted. And that instead of ramming her into jail, they should have put in an area where she will be given professional help.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by shuppie(f): 10:47pm On Aug 06, 2008
i hope it will serve as a deterrent to other men out there not to turn their women into punching bags, and not become  a controlling and obsessive freak. lipsrsealed
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by dreeldee: 10:47pm On Aug 06, 2008
killing somebody during sleep is an inhuman acts and should not be supported whatsoever, assaults or no assaults, at least she could have done it when he was assaulting her instead, that's more reasonablelipsrsealed cheesy
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Aug 06, 2008
StephenP:

That's some BS. She's going to jail. Self defense should only be used when you are being attacked at that moment and you fought back and "unfortunately" killed the attacker.

it's not bullshit, people accumulate their fears and traumatic experiences and when it goes over the bar, they let it out. if it was me i did probably kill the neighbors too, just for sake.  cheesy just kidding, but people have breaking point
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by onyinye2(f): 10:49pm On Aug 06, 2008
pc guru:

it's not bullshit, people accumulate their fears and traumatic experiences and when it goes over the bar, they let it out. if it was me i did probably kill the neighbors too, just for sake.  cheesy just kidding, but people have breaking point
Oka PCmugu, this is not a laughing kind of matter.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by eldee(m): 10:50pm On Aug 06, 2008
onyinye: I don't support any type of killing. I'm just saying that is obvious this women isn't sane. That mentally is very distorted. And that instead of ramming her into jail, they should have put in an area where she will be given professional help.
Now tell me the difference between this woman and the dude at Virginia Tech?
Or the kids in High School that go spraying pple because of 'bullying'?
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by HCH3COO: 10:53pm On Aug 06, 2008
According to trial testimony, on November 9, 1990, Peggy Sue Saiz used a pistol obtained from her boyfriend to shoot her husband, George, four times, killing him. Then, in order to simulate a burglary, Peggy Sue collected items from their home and took them to her mother's house and boyfriend's residence.

Witnesses said that after Peggy Sue shot her husband she went to a bar with her sister. There she met and danced with another man and later the trio went for a late-night snack. After which her sister called 911 from the Saiz home while Peggy Sue faked hysteria in the background.

When police arrived Peggy Sue first told police a burglar had killed her husband. When that story didn't stand up, she admitted shooting her husband but then claimed she was a battered wife and had killed him in self defense.

But, in addition to her infidelity, Peggy Sue had taken out large insurance policies on her husband before killing him.

Dr. Kathy Morall, a forensic psychiatrist, testified during Peggy Sue's trial that the defendant was not suffering from battered woman's syndrome or post traumatic stress disorder at the time she shot her husband.

During the trial Peggy Sue's attorney, Walter Gerash, attempted to call as witnesses two public defenders to challenge Dr. Morall's credibility, but the trial court denied that request. As an aside, it is usually only possible to call attorneys as witnesses under special circumstances, and apparently the defense attorney's request did not meet those conditions under Colorado law.

Peggy Sue Saiz was then sentenced to life in prison for the cold-blooded, premeditated murder of her husband.

Mrs. Saiz's case was appealed all the way to the Colorado Supreme Court and was denied. Then her case was appealed to Federal court. According to the July 23, 2001, edition of the Denver Post (p. 2B) U.S. District Judge Wiley Daniel granted Mrs. Saiz a new trial based on the trial court's refusal to allow the public defenders to be called as witnesses as to the "character and reputation for truthfulness of government witness Dr. Kathy Morrall."

Mrs. Saiz's second trial was scheduled for January 7, 2002, in Adams County District Court. But according to the Wednesday, July 24, 2002, edition of the Denver Post (p. 3B) the Colorado Court of Appeals upheld her previous conviction, ruling that although the trial court should have allowed the testimony, the error was harmless, and overturned the Federal court ruling requiring a new trial.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by StephenP(m): 10:54pm On Aug 06, 2008
pc guru:

So because she "cracked", she is justified?

eldee:

Or the kids in High School that go spraying people because of 'bullying'?

Exactly. Those who didn't kill themselves were thrown in the slammer where they belong.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by onyinye2(f): 10:54pm On Aug 06, 2008
eldee:

Or the kids in High School that go spraying people because of 'bullying'?
Oka now that kid from Virgina Tech was obviously not sane. If he lived to see his trial, they would have done the same thing they did to that Texas woman who drowned her kids. And that is send him to a secure facility. Same with the folks in Columbine, who went and killed i believe five-seven students. They were obviously not sane.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Aug 06, 2008
i hope it will serve as a deterrent to other men out there not to turn their women into punching bags, and not become  a controlling and obsessive freak. Lips sealed

Wow shocked take it easy, u are already bashing the male. not everyone is a wife beater, some are just pushed to that point,don't get too emotional like that undecided
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by dreeldee: 10:56pm On Aug 06, 2008
onyinye2:

Oka now that kid from Virgina Tech was obviously not sane. If he lived to see his trial, they would have done the same thing they did to that Texas woman who drowned her kids. And that is send him to a secure facility. Same with the folks in Columbine, who went and killed i believe five-seven students. They were obviously not sane.

so people now lay claim to insanity to justify the untold pains they inflict on others
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by nubila(f): 10:57pm On Aug 06, 2008
onyinye2:

And they attacked innocent people. This woman killed the man that was abusing her.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by eldee(m): 10:58pm On Aug 06, 2008
onyinye: Oka now that kid from Virgina Tech was obviously not sane. If he lived to see his trial, they would have done the same thing they did to that Texas woman who drowned her kids. And that is send him to a secure facility. Same with the folks in Columbine, you went and killed i believe five-seven students. They were obviously not sane.
So sumone that killed people that were awake is insane
But a woman that killed a man in his sleep should escape?
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by StephenP(m): 11:00pm On Aug 06, 2008
eldee:

She's saying they all aren't sane so we should send them to professional centers where they can kill more people.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by HCH3COO: 11:01pm On Aug 06, 2008
nubila:

And they attacked innocent people. This woman killed the man that was abusing her.
This woman killed a man in his sleep, while he was harmless.
Re: The Battered Wife Syndrome? by onyinye2(f): 11:03pm On Aug 06, 2008
eldee:

Either way that woman was psycologicaly distored. She was abused and mentally ill.

dreeldee:

so people now lay claim to insanity to justify the untold pains they inflict on others
Im not saying that the dude who shot a guy in a store is not sane. Im talking about those people who committ such bizzare acts.

nubila:

Yes she did attack her abuser. and those other attacked innocent people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Relationship Without Touch? / Virgin Girls Do U Allow Guys U Date In Your Room? / How To Impress A Girl In 2 Simple Steps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.