Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,189 members, 7,957,445 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:43 PM

Abnormal Temperature Issue On Long Trips. Please Help - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Abnormal Temperature Issue On Long Trips. Please Help (979 Views)

Elantra Users! Needs Your Advice On Long Trips / Advice On Long Distance Journey / V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abnormal Temperature Issue On Long Trips. Please Help by alfa0: 10:18am On Jan 07, 2014
Good morning and Happy New year to all,

Please I have a complain and wish the house to help me on this,
I traveled with my Honda ,and i noticed a slight change that made me wonder what was actually wrong.
For records,I traveled from Abuja to Aba,a distance of about 650 km..Normally my temperature gauge has been normal.But this time on getting to about 426km,I noticed that my temperature rose slightly above normal level,knowing i still had a long way ahead,i quickly switched off my AC which has been on all thru.then it came back to normal.When i got to Isiala ngwa junction for people that know the route,i tried the AC again,behold the temperature came up again.i decided to see to the end,i drove it to Aba like that,but it never went above that point.

After xmas,

On my way back this time, It happened at immediately after Obolor Afo,I switched off AC,and drove all through without it,But on getting to somewhere around Abaji,the temperature gauge came up again slightly above normal even without AC,i became worried,i was doing around 120km to 130km,out of fear,i slowed down to about 100km,i noticed it came down to normal again,i never passed that 100km to 110km until i got to Abuja.

The Following morning,I opened my Bonnet ,Behold the water in radiator was still intact,i check the reservoir, the water there was gone ,remaining only small.
i check my oil level everything was ok.So,My question is, what really went wrong.and what is the solution.

Thanks.
Re: Abnormal Temperature Issue On Long Trips. Please Help by Ikenna351(m): 12:18pm On Jan 07, 2014
Check if your thermostat is still opening.

If you don't know how to check it, try the Peugeot method below. It may be the same:

http://peugeotarena.com/how-to-test-peugeot-engine-cooling-system-thermostat-while-its-still-in-engine/

By the way, how is your radiator fan(2) speed when A/C is on?

Ikenna
Re: Abnormal Temperature Issue On Long Trips. Please Help by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:01pm On Jan 07, 2014
alfa0: Good morning and Happy New year to all,

Please I have a complain and wish the house to help me on this,
I traveled with my Honda ,and i noticed a slight change that made me wonder what was actually wrong.
For records,I traveled from Abuja to Aba,a distance of about 650 km..Normally my temperature gauge has been normal.But this time on getting to about 426km,I noticed that my temperature rose slightly above normal level,knowing i still had a long way ahead,i quickly switched off my AC which has been on all thru.then it came back to normal.When i got to Isiala ngwa junction for people that know the route,i tried the AC again,behold the temperature came up again.i decided to see to the end,i drove it to Aba like that,but it never went above that point.

After xmas,

On my way back this time, It happened at immediately after Obolor Afo,I switched off AC,and drove all through without it,But on getting to somewhere around Abaji,the temperature gauge came up again slightly above normal even without AC,i became worried,i was doing around 120km to 130km,out of fear,i slowed down to about 100km,i noticed it came down to normal again,i never passed that 100km to 110km until i got to Abuja.

The Following morning,I opened my Bonnet ,Behold the water in radiator was still intact,i check the reservoir, the water there was gone ,remaining only small.
i check my oil level everything was ok.So,My question is, what really went wrong.and what is the solution.

Thanks.

when say normal what do you mean tell us where the mark was ?

remember when travelling very fast the temperature drops a bit as air is forced into the engine bay it cools down the engine a bit and temperature

and low speeds no cool air is being forced into the engine bay hence the temperature goes up a bit

ever noticed this travelling at high speed the fan rarely kicks in as cool air is forced into the engine bay through radiator and the coolant cools without the fan running

then at stand still and low speeds no cool air is being forced into the engine bay and the fan kicks in
Re: Abnormal Temperature Issue On Long Trips. Please Help by Ikenna351(m): 1:31pm On Jan 07, 2014
ZIM DRILL:

when say normal what do you mean tell us where the mark was ?

remember when travelling very fast the temperature drops a bit as air is forced into the engine bay it cools down the engine a bit and temperature

and low speeds no cool air is being forced into the engine bay hence the temperature goes up a bit

ever noticed this travelling at high speed the fan rarely kicks in as cool air is forced into the engine bay through radiator and the coolant cools without the fan running

then at stand still and low speeds no cool air is being forced into the engine bay and the fan kicks in

You are right. I actually forgot I was in Nairaland when I composed my ealier post in this thread. I assumed Op understood/knew what optimal temperature of his car would be. Unfortunately, most Nigerians sees 70 degree celsius as the normal engine running temperature. Which is why once there temp gauge exceed 70 C, they would become scared, run to clowns who would removed the thermostat and connect the fans to spin constantly, so that the temperature doesnt exceed 70 C.

So Op, I would suggest you answer ZIM DRILL question on what you meant by as "normal temperature". Your car may not be overheating after all. I could be wrong, though.

Ikenna
Re: Abnormal Temperature Issue On Long Trips. Please Help by alfa0: 11:42am On Jan 08, 2014
Good morning,
sorry am late,had a few things to tidy up because of my absence.

To answer your question,

My temperature meter was not calibrated in units.It only has a white line running from down to up,and a red mark at the top.So i guess the correct reading is when the pointer is at the middle on the white line.Anything above that mark or below that mark is abnormal.Hope am correct.

back to my question,
After running around with the car yesterday,i parked and was about to walk away when i heard a hissing sound in my engine.I opened the bonnet,Behold i saw drops of coolants ,then i began to search,There is this hose that comes from the back of the engine into the hole where you have the temperature sensor.I noticed it was licking.I kept the bonnet on,switch on the engine and inspected both without Ac and i with Ac,behold that seems like the culprit.serious leakage.

I have bought and changed that hose this morning.so am going for a test so as to make sure that is it.please if there is any other suggestions i will appreciate.

thanks.
Re: Abnormal Temperature Issue On Long Trips. Please Help by alfa0: 1:25pm On Jan 08, 2014
The fans are working,but the speed is what i will monitor closely now.

thanks.
Re: Abnormal Temperature Issue On Long Trips. Please Help by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:11pm On Jan 08, 2014
alfa0: Good morning,
sorry am late,had a few things to tidy up because of my absence.

To answer your question,

My temperature meter was not calibrated in units.It only has a white line running from down to up,and a red mark at the top.So i guess the correct reading is when the pointer is at the middle on the white line.Anything above that mark or below that mark is abnormal.Hope am correct.

back to my question,
After running around with the car yesterday,i parked and was about to walk away when i heard a hissing sound in my engine.I opened the bonnet,Behold i saw drops of coolants ,then i began to search,There is this hose that comes from the back of the engine into the hole where you have the temperature sensor.I noticed it was licking.I kept the bonnet on,switch on the engine and inspected both without Ac and i with Ac,behold that seems like the culprit.serious leakage.

I have bought and changed that hose this morning.so am going for a test so as to make sure that is it.please if there is any other suggestions i will appreciate.

thanks.

thats good always do you own investigation before the mechanics rip you off now you need to bleed that car

as that whole left some bubbles of air in the cooling system, some cars are self bleeding and some have a bleeding nipple

(1) (Reply)

Help! My Disco Is Showing Code P0705 / Coolant Level Keeps Reducing In Reservoir / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.