Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,414 members, 7,819,486 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Refusal of Indian visa for a British national of Nigerian descent??? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Refusal of Indian visa for a British national of Nigerian descent??? (2354 Views)

REFUSAL Of Visa And Seizure Of Passport By UK Embassy / Refusal Of Entry Clearance (uk Visa) / Refusal Of UK Study Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Refusal of Indian visa for a British national of Nigerian descent??? by EloSela(f): 8:15pm On Aug 08, 2008
On the Indian Embassy's website the requirements for a British national travelling to India are a completed application form, two pics, visa fee and of course a UK passport.

Now on the Visa form there is a question that asks about 'previous' and 'present' nationality of the applicant. In my case I state British in both cases. It then goes on to ask about parents nationality, previous and present. I state that Dad was British but his previous nationality was Nigerian.

So as I submit my application and I am told by the official that because Dad was Nigerian I need to provide 3 months bank statements and a letter from my employer. I ask why and I am told because that is what is required of Indians when they go to Nigeria and that it has been agreed by the Nigerian government. I say that I have nothing to do with the Nigerian government and that they can even see from my passport that in the past, I have even had to acquire and pay for visas to go to Nigeria.

I am then told that if I want the visa I should provide those documents. I tell them that I do not have an issue providing these documents but I let them know that I am still at a lost as to why they would require a different set of details from me based on my origin/race and not my nationality.

Of course they have every right to refuse entry into their country but at the same time they really should state that only British nationals of specific origins are issued visas based on the initial criteria I stated above and that others of Nigerian origin and the like are not! For the record my friend who is black British but of Guyanese descent got her visa issued in 3 days straight! But then again she looks more Indian than black , lol

I am quite pissed at the behaviour and attitude of the Indian Embassy and I am in two minds about telling them to stuff their country and just go to Japan instead. But then I have already bought the ticket which is non-refundable and I have to be in Mumbai to get the plane to Japan so I am stuck. I am still worried that they may refuse the visa based on my heritage and then lose the money I paid for the ticket which wasn't cheap at all.

Has anyone else on here had dealings with the Indian Embassy in London?
Re: Refusal of Indian visa for a British national of Nigerian descent??? by KarmaMod(f): 8:40pm On Aug 08, 2008
hehehehe

same way you look down at Nigerians in London, they are looking down at you.

OH SWEET IRONY grin
Re: Refusal of Indian visa for a British national of Nigerian descent??? by EloSela(f): 9:20pm On Aug 08, 2008
Siena:

Sorry sis, to hear about your grief with the Indian Embassy.

I haven't been through that before, so can't really advice.
I can see your point though, their criteria makes little sense.

It doesn't make sense at all! I am seriously thinking about getting my ticket changed so that I can bypass India and just go onwards to Japan at minimal costs. There is still a chance that I may get the visa but this experience has kind of put me off the country. My thing is that they should have clearly stated on their website what the requirements were for people of specific origins regardless of British nationality. . .if they had then maybe I wouldn't have been so taken aback when asked for the other information based on my descent.

I have heard before that they can be legally racist in India with their cast system and something is telling me that this is a sign of things to come. I am really not in mood to deal with that kind of BS and I also feel that I don't want to spend any of my hard earned money in that country.
Re: Refusal of Indian visa for a British national of Nigerian descent??? by lucabrasi(m): 10:54pm On Aug 08, 2008
exactly,the indians are just reiterating the average english prejudice against black brits, if its not panadol,its not the same thing as panadol grin
Re: Refusal of Indian visa for a British national of Nigerian descent??? by komekn(m): 4:53pm On Aug 21, 2008
Elosela,

Really surprised by your experience I think it’s a London thing. A few of my friends went to the Indian Embassy in London, to get visas to India, some of them are Ghanaian and the rest Nigerian, but with British passports. On arrival after all the formalities forms and all that, they got attitude with lots of questions and answers. In the end however, they got the visas.

I being me, decided to go to the India consulate office somewhere around the jewellery quarter in Birmingham. Got there No Shakin ! no attitude, not one question within 2/3 hours got the visa, 3 months multiple(but I am blessed like that, by his grace). I even went there again in May to get a visa for My Bishop no problem. I will be going in the next couple of weeks as my visa has run out and I should be in India for October, will tell you how I got a long.
grin grin grin
Re: Refusal of Indian visa for a British national of Nigerian descent??? by EloSela(f): 9:30pm On Aug 21, 2008
@Komekn
Thanks! I went back there all smiles and no questions with all the things they asked for and got the visa. I still feel that they were wrong for specifying that I provide extra information because of my Nigerian background but now I am starting to feel better about visiting Mumbai again. grin I am due to land in Asia for the first time in my life next month and I can't wait!
Re: Refusal of Indian visa for a British national of Nigerian descent??? by komekn(m): 11:42am On Aug 22, 2008
Elosela,
Happy for you, about cant wait it all depends on what you are going to do there, if its a holiday on the typical eurocentric mode checking out the tourist attractions set up for westerners, and if thats your thing you will have a real good time. grin

(1) (Reply)

What The Average Americans Really Know About Nigeria/africa / How To Get To Abuja From Ibadan / Transport Fare (warri To Port-harcourt)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.