Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,909 members, 7,814,070 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill (6426 Views)

Kaduna Assembly Passes Bill On Master Plan Into Law / Breaking News: Enugu Assembly Begins Impeachment Process Against Dep Gov / Enugu Assembly Passes Bill Banning Okada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by DeepZone: 6:42pm On Aug 13, 2008
Enugu Assembly passes landlord, tenant bill

Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Enugu—Enugu State House of Assembly has passed the Landlord and Tenant Amendment Bill into law.

The Speaker, Mr. Eugene Odo, said on the occassion that the amended bill evolved in line with the present economic realities in Nigeria.

“The law will help to reduce the controversy between the landlord and the tenant in areas such as rent review, rent payment and forceful ejection,’’ he said.

Odo said that with the passage of the law, it would be an offence for a landlord to increase rents without two years’ notice given to the tenant.

He said also that no rent increment would exceed 15 per cent of the existing rent as against the 25 per cent increase contained in the former law.

The law took effect from today, (yesterday) the Speaker said. The deputy majority leader, Mr. Michael Onyeze, said that the passage of the bill would curtail the excesses of ‘Shylock’ landlords.

Earlier, while presenting the report on the bill, the Chairman of the Committee on Land, Housing and Judiciary, Mr. Abel Chukwu, said that the report contained the views of stakeholders who attended the public hearing as well as from memoranda received.

Chukwu said that the law was not meant to witch-hunt anybody, but to create a harmonious relationship between landlords and tenants in the state.

“The law spells out power limits of landlords and tenants and grant them the right to seek redress at the Rent Tribunal.”
http://odili.net/news/source/2008/aug/13/305.html

1 Like

Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by DeepZone: 6:43pm On Aug 13, 2008
One thing is passing a bill and another is holding the landlord ransom for keeping it. No be Naija?
Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by ifyalways(f): 7:31pm On Aug 13, 2008
what about the "care-takers /agents" bill Make dem try pass dat one too and i hope the law wud be effective and not just existing in some piece of paper somewhere. undecided .That should be some good news to ESUT and UNN students.

1 Like

Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by DeepZone: 7:36pm On Aug 13, 2008
.That should be some good news to ESUT and UNN students.

I thought UNN is at Nsukka? Is Nsukka in Enugu state or Anambra state because my dad graduated there and it's anambra state.
Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by naijaking1: 7:38pm On Aug 13, 2008
Are they trying to legistilate market forces now?
Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by ifyalways(f): 7:43pm On Aug 13, 2008
DeepZone:

I thought UNN is at Nsukka? Is Nsukka in Enugu state or Anambra state because my dad graduated there and it's anambra state.
DeepZone:

UNN have campuses at Enugu town.
Nsukka is in Ebonyi state.
Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by naijaking1: 7:45pm On Aug 13, 2008
ifyalways:

No. Nsukka is in Enugu state today.

1 Like

Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by ifyalways(f): 7:48pm On Aug 13, 2008
ooh,thanks
Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by c33b33(m): 8:14pm On Aug 13, 2008
lma0!!Nssuka=Enugu state.Atlast eastern legislatures are becoming sensible.It's action that will b needed now.Good news to ESUT,NSSUKA,IMT students
Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by presido1: 9:20pm On Aug 13, 2008
ifyalways:

Ify did u smoke goof, i mean that ciga wey no get filter grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by angel101(f): 10:33pm On Aug 13, 2008
maybe Lagos and Abuja should follow suit
Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by naijaking1: 10:46pm On Aug 13, 2008
presido1:

Ify did u smoke goof, i mean that ciga wey no get filter grin grin grin grin
I beg no abuse Ify. Anybody fit make mistake.
Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by presido1: 11:06pm On Aug 13, 2008
naijaking1:

I beg no abuse Ify. Anybody fit make mistake.
We know ourselves ok.
Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by ifyalways(f): 11:08pm On Aug 13, 2008
Pres,be silly dia. who knows u? tongue tongue
@naijaKing1,don't mind him.He it was, that introduced me to goof.
lol,o nweghi ihe mebiri Pres,Naijaking bukwa nwanne anyi wink

1 Like

Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by naijaking1: 12:00am On Aug 14, 2008
Oooops, sorry for the interruption. A huru m na unu n' ami owe unu obara.
Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by DeepZone: 1:40am On Aug 14, 2008
A huru m na unu n' ami owe unu obera.

Stop speaking chinese here please.
Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by BlackMamba(m): 1:54am On Aug 14, 2008
Just for clarity. UNN is acronym for University of Nigeria Nsukka. Obviously, located in Nsukka in present Enugu state. Enugu state, Ebonyi state and present Anambra state used to be one state called Anambra state. Nsukka has never been part of Ebonyi or present Anambra state. Enugu the capital city of Enugu state has a campus (branch) of UNN. Hope this helps to enlighten some folks about the breeding ground of Great Lions and Lionesses.

1 Like

Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by Nobody: 6:06am On Aug 14, 2008
Thank you. Next person please! cool
Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by Emma9999: 10:09am On May 09, 2020
Lol, my dear, nsukka is in enugu state okay, I school at UNN
DeepZone:

1 Like

Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by raymis(f): 10:18am On May 09, 2020
Why is Nsuka(enugu) and Abakiliki(ebonyi) dialect sound the same.? Are they related ?

1 Like

Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by Mysticwebb: 11:28am On May 09, 2020
ifyalways:
You see; they will be the first to be claiming I'm from SE but I must say ....., Whereas they are not from anywhere close to SE and know nothing about the area they always like to talk down on.
Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by Mysticwebb: 11:29am On May 09, 2020
DeepZone:

See them. Awon SE.
Re: Enugu Assembly Passes Landlord Tenant Bill by ifyalways(f): 12:13am On May 20, 2020
raymis:
Why is Nsuka(enugu) and Abakiliki(ebonyi) dialect sound the same.? Are they related ?
They are. smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Special Forces Intensify Land, Air Patrols In Borno / #PresidentialReadingTime; President Jonathan Reads Just Before Bed Time (Pic) / Earth Will Experience 6 Days Of Total Darkness December 2014!. Said By NASA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.