Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? (1810 Views)

Poll: Do you support a Bill to ban Sari attire in Nigeria?

Yes: 18% (2 votes)
No: 81% (9 votes)
Undecided: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Is Mrs. Diezani K. Alison-madueke? / Where Is Mrs Buhari? / Imo State Is Mrs (dr) Viola Onwuliri Anti Mrs (dr) Ada Okwuonu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by DeepZone: 12:01am On Aug 15, 2008
[size=14pt]Sari-wearing women may face jail in Nigeria [/size]

Wednesday, 06 August , 2008, 12:39

Johannesburg: Indian women in their traditional saris with midriffs showing may find themselves falling foul of Nigerian law if a bill currently under discussion in that country is passed.

Tourists in towelling wraps and Nigerian women in traditional dress with their stomachs exposed could also find themselves behind bars for three months or subjected to fines of $100, according to the Media24 News Service here.

While women's rights groups have come out strongly against the proposed law, Muslim leaders are supporting the bill, proposed by Senator Eme Ufot Ekaette, who felt that nudity was driving men to engage in corruption and steal from the state in Nigeria.

"Nudity leads to corruption," Ishaq Akintola of the Muslim Rights Watch, a strong supporter of Akaette's proposal, told Media 24.

"Nigerians are fighting corruption, through which many of our leaders, mostly men, have stolen fortunes for their personal use. They build colossal homes in London, Rome and New York because they have to spend money on women and have to hide them in these big homes."

Akintola said scantily dressed women were luring men. "They are being misled every time by a naked woman."

Women's rights groups have called the proposed law "laughable", but are concerned that the House of Representatives in the capital Abuja may push it through, since the assembly has already considered it twice.

Onyinyechi Okechukwu of Alliances for Africa, a women's rights group, said the law would result in girls as young as 14 sitting behind bars in a country where police are reported to maltreat women regularly. The law would also be open to abuse because the police would have the discretion to seek out offenders on the streets, with the test being whether a woman's body was exposed lower than two inches above the neck or more than two inches above the knee.

"The police will have to carry tape measures around. How will a policeman know that my dress is two inches below my neck if he doesn't touch me? I'll slap him!" Okechukwu said, adding that it was unfair that men may freely walk around topless, while "it is certainly a turn-on for some women."

The Nigerian Feminist Forum said in a statement that more pressing issues in the country, such as female circumcision, the high infant mortality rate and rape of babies should get priority from the authorities.

Sari Attire

http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14734954
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by AloyEmeka9: 1:55am On Aug 15, 2008
Sari attire is not our thing in Naija, why waste our time on this bill?
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by Nobody: 6:54am On Aug 15, 2008
@topic

She may not be chasing shadows as Nigerian lawmakers like to focus more on irrelivant bills. One thing is sure though, she like many other Nigerians is a clown.

Aloy.Emeka:

Sari attire is not our thing in Naija, why waste our time on this bill?
Even if it is our thing, why still waste time on such bill?
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by ifyalways(f): 6:58am On Aug 15, 2008
Rubbish.
Next there wud be a bill against 'egusi soup" in every home. angry
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by Jakumo(m): 7:04am On Aug 15, 2008
Nigeria's legislative fatwa against inappropriate attire must be extended to all those apprehended wearing traditional Eskimo seal-fur outfits, as well as all women found wearing panties or bras that are not emblazoned with the Nigerian flag and the Abuja coat of arms.

These brazen crimes against fashion must be punished to the full extent of the law, and beyond.
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by Nobody: 7:05am On Aug 15, 2008
lol
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by ifyalways(f): 7:06am On Aug 15, 2008
Jakumo:

Nigeria's legislative fatwa against inappropriate attire must be extended to all those apprehended wearing traditional Eskimo seal-fur outfits, as well as all women found wearing undies or bras that are not emblazoned with the Nigerian flag and the Abuja coat of arms.

These brazen crimes against fashion must be punished to the full extent of the law, and beyond.
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by DeepZone: 5:57pm On Aug 15, 2008
Nigeria's legislative fatwa against inappropriate attire must be extended to all those apprehended wearing traditional Eskimo seal-fur outfits, as well as all women found wearing undies or bras that are not emblazoned with the Nigerian flag and the Abuja coat of arms.

Roflmao; Can somebody forward this to Ekaette please?
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by hellypelly(f): 8:41pm On Aug 15, 2008
Nigerians and their stupid bills they always try to pass, I mean the same tribe she belongs to has ther women almost naked when they dance, these people are expressing their culture, so y prohibit them??

Its high time we started facing the more important issues, these people rnt even from Naija, our own people wer very little when they dance, do I see any bill stopping them?isnt it the same skin they r all showing, most of these women don't even wear i everyday, I think this Ufot woman is just plain DUMB, like wtf??

she is indeed chasing shadows,
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by davidif: 8:58pm On Aug 15, 2008
why not pass a bill to raise teachers salaries to at least 80,000 per month or pass a bill that in order to teach our kids in starting from primary school, you should have at least a masters degree in your field with at least a 2 year teaching certificate. Heck while they are at it why not ammend the constitution by removing the immunity clause granted to all govt. officials, instead they are chasing naked women, what of the naked mad people on our street?
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by DeepZone: 8:59pm On Aug 15, 2008
Patricia Ette= problem
Ufot Ekaette= another problem

Can we stop future female Ette's from representing us @ the national level abeg.
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by DeepZone: 9:00pm On Aug 15, 2008
why not pass a bill to raise teachers salaries to at least 80,000 per month or ammend the constitution by removing the immunity clause granted to all govt. officials.

I hope you know you can write such bill yourself and present it to the house either directly or through your constituency? Good bill tho.
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by gabelogan(m): 10:49pm On Aug 15, 2008
i tire oh!

it seems as if these nigerian legislators are bereft of ideas
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by ajadrage: 10:55pm On Aug 15, 2008
Ineptitude in leadership, the quality of our cream. We see them every wednesday beaming at the cameras, meanwhile the whole lot of them are empty barrels looting us silly. Because she has been a benefactor of the corruption that Nigeria is, she wants to have a day of glory to the detriment of the rights of our sister citizens of equal status. The fact that she gained from the dynamics of Nigeria's' lopsided statehood does not give her the prerogative to exhibit her obvious ignorance on a global scale, reducing the image of Nigeria with her crass inexperience in matters of statecraft. And then someone would say we got no issues. . .
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by davidif: 11:27pm On Aug 15, 2008
@deepzone
Patricia Ette= problem
Ufot Ekaette= another problem

Can we stop future female Ette's from representing us @ the national level abeg.

You are hillarious he he he. what a tribalist joke grin grin grin

By the way, are you serious about writing a bill and presenting it to the house? I don't live in naija though, but i was wondering if it was so.
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by DeepZone: 10:22am On Aug 16, 2008
By the way, are you serious about writing a bill and presenting it to the house? I don't live in naija though, but i was wondering if it was so.

Yes; It's constitutional but because of bureaucracy in Naija, people rarely exercise that right. Why should we have representatives from our constituencies that we cannot interact with?
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by cescky(m): 5:32pm On Aug 17, 2008
its not madams fault

her husband ufot ekaette that was secetary to obj has also been [b]obasanjos house boy [/b]for more than the amount of years the man ruled, go to the mans village they dispise him there.(eakaette)

cant blame her for her skool of thot their all from the lipsrsealed

its easy for them under 3 hrs to increases their salaries that runs into millions,but takes them almost a month to settele teachers that earn only about 25 000 and want 25percent increase.
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by doyin13(m): 6:32pm On Aug 17, 2008
I get so hot under the collar anytime I come across this piece of legislative garbage.

How can any reasonable, responsible human being give the Nigerian Police such powers.

May God punish her and her fatwa brethren. angry angry angry angry
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by Gamine(f): 6:37pm On Aug 17, 2008
This woman put herself in trouble for nothing.

Those that brought her the bill to sponsor

are no where near the heat.

She was seriously myopic, thinking she could be some sorta hero.

Even her Daughters-in-law chide her at home, telling her to cover up

when she is even about to sleep.

This is just a sad thing
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by folahann(m): 11:00pm On Aug 17, 2008
This is very funny, i can't just help but laugh.

How could you make such a law.
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by DeepZone: 6:44am On Aug 18, 2008
She was seriously myopic, thinking she could be some sorta hero.
Is she not a celebrity in Nigeria now? Abi you sabi her before this thing?
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by Gamine(f): 11:21am On Aug 18, 2008
Well.

She is now infamous not the hero, she tot she'd be

She is unloved and even hated, far from her love expectation
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by folahann(m): 5:07pm On Aug 18, 2008
I think they should just pass the law that all women in Nigeria must wear[i] Iro and Buba[/i] and a prescribed colour

Anybody caught not wearing to be sentenced to death, maybe that would work.
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by MrCrackles(m): 5:09pm On Aug 18, 2008
not only chasing shadows, she is chasing sawdust too!
Re: Is Mrs Ufot Ekaette Chasing Shadows? by DeepZone: 5:17pm On Aug 18, 2008
Well.

She is now infamous not the hero, she tot she'd be

She is unloved and even hated, far from her love expectation

It depends on whether she planned to be a heroine or infamous. The latter might be the case.

(1) (Reply)

No Wonder There Is No Visible Sign Of Development In The Local Goverment Level / Idia College Principal In Benin City Has Been Kidnapped / Bomb Blast: Al Jazeera Out To Destabilse Nigeria – Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.