Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,479 members, 7,819,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Politics Vs. Olympics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Politics Vs. Olympics (2692 Views)

Politics And Religion-my Experience At Eid Praying Ground Ilorin With Photos / British PM Takes Public Transport To Olympics: Can Our Leaders Try This? (Pic) / Nigerian Flag Replaced with Biafran Flag At The 2012 Olympics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Politics Vs. Olympics by naijaking1: 6:29am On Aug 19, 2008
Nigeria, like some other countries like Saudi Arabia, Sudan, and Indonesia cannot boast of Olympic medals despite impressive population, resources, and talents. So, the question becomes; what is it about our political culture that puts us behind countries like Jamaica, Kenya , and even Ethiopia? Before you say we are not built for marathon races like the east Africans, what about other sports we are build for? Judo, tract and field, swimming, basket ball, etc. In the 80s and 90s, a few Nigerian names like Mary Onyali, Egbunike, and so on used to be heard, but this year, nobody from Nigeria even qualified for the most common games(keep your fingers crossed for the soccer team). So, what is the problem? Are we just too well fed to compete? What is the influence of politics and religion on the preparation, participation, and winnning of medals in international events such as the Olympics by Nigerian?

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/ngr;_ylt=AvxEq0HztjD0NTgHjJ4nHc6PaJh4
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by ayyuba: 2:39pm On Aug 22, 2008
it is true that our leaders care less about sports generally in this country.they release funds at the eleventh hour.but we thank God that we are now at the final of the u 23 footbal competition
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by ssRhino: 4:44pm On Aug 22, 2008
How can leaders that are not even well informed know anything about sport, but i will like to understand is the usefulness of Ministry of Sport, if there is any as such.
I am so surprised that we dont have swimmers and yet u see so many pple in swin suits and whatever happened to the Iyaw pple and the Ilajes, i will epxct to see some of them in da olympics.
But i beg forget our leaders and coaches are not even coaching for medals anyways, just for the money and the name.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by naijaking1: 6:01pm On Aug 24, 2008
Before commenting further; a big 'Job well done' by the eagles. I took a look at the list of athletes representing Nigeria, and I came to the sad conclusion that 95% are from the south, christians, and progressive. My question is whatever happened to the supposed majority in the north? What cultural and religious obstacle is preventing them from representing the country? These people spend hours and hours gazing, starring, and admiring scantly dressed women athletes, yet they keep their own women-folk under lock, key, and covered head-to-toe with purdah. If that's not enough, these non-athletic, and sporting-no-goods are appointed to into strategic positions in the ministry of sports, to oversea games they know nothing about.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by presido1: 7:30pm On Aug 24, 2008
naijaking1:

Before commenting further; a big 'Job well done' by the eagles. I took a look at the list of athletes representing Nigeria, and I came to the sad conclusion that 95% are from the south, christians, and progressive. My question is whatever happened to the supposed majority in the north? What cultural and religious obstacle is preventing them from representing the country? These people spend hours and hours gazing, starring, and admiring scantly dressed women athletes, yet they keep their own women-folk under lock, key, and covered head-to-toe with purdah. If that's not enough, these non-athletic, and sporting-no-goods are appointed to into strategic positions in the ministry of sports, to oversea games they know nothing about.
Oboy e-be like say you wan chop sharp knife abi suya knife.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by savanaha: 8:23pm On Aug 24, 2008
naijaking1:

they take jealousy to a (HNL) a hole Nother Leve and all in religious pretext.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by naijaking1: 8:24pm On Aug 24, 2008
Let the truth be told cheesy
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by AKO1(m): 8:55pm On Aug 24, 2008
naijaking1:

Let the truth be told cheesy

Sounds more like your opinion.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by naijaking1: 10:37pm On Aug 24, 2008
Which one is my own opinion:
That girls (and boys) from the Hausa Fulani north don't participate in sports? Or
That the girls gets covered up and dressed in Purdah that would make it impossible for them to play any sort of sports? Or
That Hausa men enjoy, stare, and even masturbate at pictures of athletically dressed girls, while keeping their girls wrapped up in the name of religion? Or That many of these non-athletic Hausa men are now running the ministry of sports?
All these are not anyone's personal opinion, but verifable facts on the ground.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by gabelogan(m): 11:44pm On Aug 24, 2008
naijaking1:

Which one is my own opinion:
That girls (and boys) from the Hausa Fulani north don't participate in sports? Or
That the girls gets covered up and dressed in Purdah that would make it impossible for them to play any sort of sports? Or
That Hausa men enjoy, stare, and even masturbate at pictures of athletically dressed girls, while keeping their girls wrapped up in the name of religion? Or That many of these non-athletic Hausa men are now running the ministry of sports?
All these are not anyone's personal opinion, but verifable facts on the ground.

what about sani kaita?
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by Queenisha: 11:49pm On Aug 24, 2008
Who says we're not built for marathons.
Look at those northern cattle rearers
don't they look like like those long legged Kenyans ?
All those skills they used in chasing those wild male namas can be utilized in the 1,500 and 3,000 metres
All they need to do is imagine that their opponents are namas that need capturing.
We have many resources,but are we utilizing them ?
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by agaba123(m): 11:52pm On Aug 24, 2008
Queenisha:

All those skills they used in chasing those wild male namas can be utilized in the 1,500 and 3,000 metres
All they need to do is imagine that their opponents are namas that need capturing.
not really the kinda marathan those guys do. 16 miles is way longer. 3000meters is less than 2 miles
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by onyinye2(f): 11:55pm On Aug 24, 2008
Queenisha:

Trust me Queen. . . . the 1500m and 3000m aint easy at all. I use to run 1600 and 3200 in highschool. It was hard as hell.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by Queenisha: 11:55pm On Aug 24, 2008
agaba123:

not really the kind of marathan those guys do. 16 miles is way longer. 3000meters is less than 2 miles

We can train them na
just because you can finish one carton of beer with a plate of isiewu after your lunch doesn't mean you can't drink 2 bottles and call it a day smiley
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by papadims: 12:00am On Aug 25, 2008
the best way to train this fulanis is to take the fulanis and their namas to Gaza right the middle of the shooting their namas should be released. then they should start running around to look for their namas, i bet we would set a new unbreakable WR of 1:30:57 secs. cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by debosky(m): 12:02am On Aug 25, 2008
Queenisha:

The solution is simple, just get them goggles with images of nama running away.

walahi, they will run 10,000m and keep running till you remove the goggles. grin grin
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by akin63: 12:02am On Aug 25, 2008
thats a beautiful one,
with all pleasure i will support you the their trainer/coach
mind you i have already forward your application the
federal ministry of youth and sports for employment

i wish you the very best of luck
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by naijaking1: 12:06am On Aug 25, 2008
gabe_logan:

what about sani kaita?

Are you counting 1 person out of an area that claim to have more than 60% of the countries population?
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by agaba123(m): 12:09am On Aug 25, 2008
I do 6 miles so it aint nothing to much though I am not into competitive sports.

Queenisha:

We can train them na
just because you can finish one carton of beer with a plate of isiewu after your lunch doesn't mean you can't drink 2 bottles and call it a day smiley

grin grin grin
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by Sisikill: 12:09am On Aug 25, 2008
Queenisha:

Rotflmao! I swear my brother-in-law told my younger brother the same thing the day Usain Bolt set new records. . . He turned to him and said in Yoruba "You know you should be able to do that with all the herds of cattle you chased growing up", don't get me wrong, it is a logical conclusion but what you guys don't understand is when you are chasing namas, you go in zigzags and those yeye goats are smart too, they can dodge like there's no tomorrow. The day we can get the namas to run on a straight line, is the day you'll start seeing Malas running for the country.

Train the namas and the malas will come, see and conquer.  grin
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by papadims: 12:12am On Aug 25, 2008
Queenisha:

We can train them na

queenisha, wetin join you with this isiewu? ooh, abi that guy give you contract as the makerting manager.

@ debosky & siskill

thats another way, i never knew nigerians are this good as marathon coaches.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by Queenisha: 12:21am On Aug 25, 2008
papa_dims:

queenisha, wetin join you with this isiewu? ooh, abi that guy give you contract as the makerting manager.

@ debosky & siskill

My dear o
chei!
My man gave me an engagement ring at an Isiewu joint lipsrsealed
I'm tied with isiewu for life
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by Sisikill: 12:58am On Aug 25, 2008
papa_dims:

@ debosky & siskill

You know what they say now, neccesity is the mother of invention. Do you think I was happy watching all the other countries run and win medals when I have brothers and cousins who if they were coached right will be there running their behinds off, winning the medals. Why, I can just see me. . . I mean see them laughing into the cameras all happy coz of the money. . . errr. . .  pride of representing their pockets, I swear I don't know why I am mispeaking today. What I mean to say is happy and proud to represent their countries.

Yep, it is all about National Pride.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by Nobody: 11:29am On Aug 25, 2008
Naijaking don talk my mind, end of story.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by folahann(m): 12:20pm On Aug 25, 2008
where is the poll?
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by DisGuy: 2:29pm On Aug 25, 2008
whats all these about looking to blame one particular region of the country, we are always looking elsewhere for blame aren't we?

its a Nigeria thing, parents dont like their kids playing in the dirt or running about- it seen as being unserious!
not until you become popular or wealthy anyway!

parents like to be called the mother of that Doctor/Engineer/Lawyer and all those big-money/Status professions!
we are status obsessed!

And yea like every other aspect of our country we have incompetent administrators!!!
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by slyk2(m): 2:44pm On Aug 25, 2008
Our govt is not interesred in those things.
Do you want to say they are visionless, tell it to whoever cares, they are.

A country with over 140million people, just 4 medals, too poor.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by slyk2(m): 2:48pm On Aug 25, 2008
religion has got nothing to do with sports.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by adamsy07: 2:57pm On Aug 25, 2008
it very unfortunate that things like this are happening in the democratic time.
first and for most sport development is not for the ministry of sport the ministry is just there to support watever finished product given to them.
i think the federal goverment as to start thinking of grassroots.
impose certain sport facilities for people who weants to run school,u can't imagine the last time i was back home seeing
my former naighbours small flat turned into a school the first thing i tot about was that sport is dead.
no field,track or any sporting facilities.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by rachie(f): 3:13pm On Aug 25, 2008
The funding and proper support just is not there.
http://www.athleticsafrica.com/Outgoing/africandrain_FS_1907.html

Top athletes in the UK now receive money from the national lottery and it has helped to improve these athletes performance at the Olympic games this year.

I mentioned this in another post but there should be a sports fund that people can donate to. Of course it would be a concern of mine that the money might not get to who needs to but it if something like this was properly funded i would gladly donate.

The Jamaican athletes don't have it easy either. Usain Bolt said on TV that at times it has been really difficult for him money wise.

These are supposedly the secrets to the Jamaicans success on the track.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/olympics/2008/08/the_secrets_of_jamaicas_sprint.html

No Nigeria did not do well but countries like SA and Ghana did even worse lol. I would love to see Nigeria up there one day.
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by omoge(f): 6:23pm On Aug 25, 2008
one day some day, the namas and goats will run in a straight line. till then, let's dream on abt the Phelps, Luikins and the Jamaican runners.

Queenisha i laugh tire. i heard nig good at bedmatic. maybe they should add that on the list in 2012.

so wetin nig win sha?
Re: Politics Vs. Olympics by naijaking1: 1:23pm On Aug 26, 2008
sly-k:

religion has got nothing to do with sports.
I beg to disagree.
When a religion prohibits girls from wearing certain types of sporting attire, from exposing whatever parts of their body, from speaking to men except their husbands/fathers/brothers; you still think that people who practice that religion will be out there playing soccer, swimming, running, or even playing beach basketball---- common!

Apart from a few (christian) Morroccan and East African female runners, did you see muslim females from other countries? Girls from Egypt, Saudi Arabia, etc are busy hiding themselves and their bodies from 'the evil stare of the World', so no sports.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rochas Has Done It Again / “I Never Conceded The Election To Fayose”Gov Fayemi Makes Incredible About-turn / By Our own Collation , PDP Is ahead Of APC — Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.