Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,524 members, 7,826,965 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

Is President Yar'adua Dead? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is President Yar'adua Dead? (11383 Views)

Late President Yar'adua Warned Me That The Shi'ites Are Dangerous - Sheik Gumi / President Yar'adua - 3 Years Remembrance / President Yar'adua Is Dull? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is President Yar'adua Dead? by ololobi(m): 12:31am On Sep 03, 2008
Bin hearing rumours and all sorts of stories that our No. 1 Man is dead, anyone got anything concrete?
embarassed cry cry sad sad
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by BigB11(m): 1:10am On Sep 03, 2008
Yar’Adua: Reports of My ‘Death’ Exaggerated

Breaking News

Like the classic humourist, Mark Twain, who had the distinction of reading his obituary while still alive, President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua yesterday described reports of his rumoured death as “grossly exaggerated”.
The whole country had been awash with rumours of the president’s “death” since Saturday following reports that he had undergone a surgery and had gone into coma.
However, speaking with Mr. Nduka Obaigbena, Chair-man/Editor-in-Chief of THISDAY, on phone late last night, the president echoed the words of Twain, saying there was an exaggeration in the wild rumour.
The conversation went thus:
THISDAY: Mr. President, good evening.
Yar’Adua: Good evening.
THISDAY: Where are you, Your Excellency?
Yar’Adua: I’m in the Land of Palm Trees. If you want some dates, I’ll bring for you (laughs).
THISDAY: Is everything all right with you, Mr. President?
Yar’Adua: All is well. I’m very okay.
THISDAY: I’m surprised that despite the rumours, your voice is sounding strong.
Yar’Adua: It is always strong. It has always been so.
THISDAY: So when should we expect you back in Nigeria?
Yar’Adua: Well, Ramadan fasting will start here in Saudi Arabia tomorrow (Monday). You know as a true Muslim, I will certainly observe the Ramadan from tomorrow (Monday). So I will return to Nigeria anytime from Tuesday (tomorrow).
THISDAY also learnt that the president spoke with key government officials, including Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan, and his aged mother in Katsina yesterday.
THISDAY checks revealed that although the President travelled to Saudi Arabia ostensibly to perform the lesser Hajj, he might have received medical attention, leading to speculations on the state of his health.
Also yesterday, the Federal Government said the President “is very well and in good health to steer the affairs of the state”.
Minister of Information and Communication John Odey dispelled the rumour about Yar’Adua’s health in a two-paragraph statement in Abuja.
He said: “The Federal Government wishes to appreciate the concern that has been raised in the newspapers and some sections of the media over the past few days on the state of health of Mr. President, Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar Adua, and to restate here that Mr. President is very well and healthy.
“He is in good health to steer the affairs of the state to bring about better livelihood for the generality of the people of Nigeria. He is expected back in Nigeria soon after his trip to Saudi Arabia where he has gone on lesser hajj.”
The statement was, however, silent on reports in some newspapers that the President underwent surgery in a hospital in Saudi Arabia.
The matter of Yar’Adua’s failing health has become an issue since the days following his nomination as the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in the April 19 2007 presidential election when he was rumoured dead.
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo had to publicly call Yar’Adua at a presidential campaign rally in Abeokuta where the latter who was then receiving medical treatment abroad dispelled rumours of his death.
But speculations about President Yar’Adua’s ill-health were rekindled again in the wake of his trip to Saudi Arabia last week shortly after approving the appointment of new service chiefs.
Following the trip, the rumour mill had it that Yar’Adua had gone to Saudi Arabia for medical treatment.
But the Federal Executive Council (FEC) after its weekly meeting last Wedn-esday told Nigerians that contrary to rumours making the round, the President was performing Umrah (lesser hajj) in Saudi Arabia.
The rumour about Yar’Adua’s ill-health and possible death, however, thickened following the cancellation of the scheduled state visit to Brazil.
Government again denied that the change had anything to do with the President’s poor health.
FEC said the president was still performing the lesser hajj in Saudi Arabia, and would return whenever he concluded the programme.
Some media reports even alleged that the President underwent surgery suspected to be kidney-related ailment at King Fahd Hospital in Saudi Arabia.
Meanwhile, the Action Congress (AC) has accused the Federal Executive Council (FEC) of deliberately feeding the public with lies over the health of President Yar'Adua.
AC’s National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, who made the accusation last night in a statement, said the President's health could not be treated as a private affair, “because as a public official - and the foremost one at that - whatever happens to him is of interest to the citizenry and affects the entire country.”
He said: “As the President, Yar'Adua is the father of the nation. The health of the father cannot be kept as a secret from his children. It is as simple as that. That is why we are very worried that the FEC could stoop so low as to engage in cheap lies over the President's health.
“Don’t they know that the world has become a global 'glass' village where nothing is hidden?
“If the FEC's statement was made out of ignorance or lack of information on the President's health, it is bad enough! If it was made to deceive the public, it is even worse…and calls to question the sincerity of the council's members.”
The party wished the President full recovery and prayed that God would grant him good health to enable him steer the ship of state in the right direction.
AC, however, commended the Nigerian media for unearthing the truth, which according to him, is that President Yar'Adua is undergoing medical treatment in Saudi Arabia rather than being there for lesser Hajj “as deceptively disseminated by the FEC”.
He said the government's information managers had again failed the nation and shown that they were anything but professionals, “by their inability to manage the information concerning the President’s health.”
“What should have earned the President the sympathy and prayers of his countrymen and women has again become a matter for wild speculations, no thanks to inept information machinery. The state of the President's health is an important issue. It should neither be politicised nor trivialised,” he added.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=121287
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by coolier(f): 9:42am On Sep 03, 2008
Walahi the man no go die for a long long time to come with all the rumours. Remember Nigerians 'buried' the guy sometime last year and he is still alive today.
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by bilymuse: 12:04pm On Sep 03, 2008
the guy is going to rule for 8 yrs
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by idupaul: 3:29pm On Sep 03, 2008
ok he aint dead, good , now back to work.
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by damoche07(m): 4:21pm On Sep 03, 2008
The 'rumours' seems to be spreading fast. could it be true
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by FactorChic(f): 9:59pm On Sep 03, 2008
Na wa ooo,
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by ahoyLT(m): 10:20pm On Sep 03, 2008
Pls Nairalanders, whats the F, king diffence. The guy has not been alive to his responsibility as the president of Nigeria since when he was sworn in. So its does not make any difference he is alive or not
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by Queenisha: 10:52pm On Sep 03, 2008
THISDAY: Mr. President, good evening.
Yar’Adua: Good evening.
THISDAY: Where are you, Your Excellency?
Yar’Adua: I’m in the Land of Palm Trees. If you want some dates, I’ll bring for you (laughs).
THISDAY: Is everything all right with you, Mr. President?
Yar’Adua: All is well. I’m very okay.
THISDAY: I’m surprised that despite the rumours, your voice is sounding strong.
Yar’Adua: It is always strong. It has always been so.
THISDAY: So when should we expect you back in Nigeria?
Yar’Adua: [b]Well, Ramadan fasting will start here in Saudi Arabia tomorrow (Monday). You know as a true Muslim, I will certainly observe the Ramadan from tomorrow (Monday). So I will return to Nigeria anytime from Tuesday (tomorrow).[/b]THISDAY also learnt that the president spoke with key government officials, including Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan, and his aged mother in Katsina yesterday.

Okay he's well, why couldn't he appear on TV and tell people that ?
What is he travelling to Saudi for?

This interview was conducted on Sunday,is he back yet.
One of the comments from that link is from a Nigerian in Saudi who confirms the guy was admitted to a hospital.
Why all these lies and cover ups ?
I hope this man doesn't collapse and peg in office.
He's obviously chroniically ill
Let him hand over the affairs of the nation to someone else
he's not even the elected leader to begin with
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by sley4life(m): 11:01pm On Sep 03, 2008
This is a sad report that the President of Nigeria is Dead in Saudi Arabic. May is soul rest in peace. xcheck out this link and get back to me http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-71526

You guys should confirm. It was sent to me for coYou guys should confirm. It was sent to me for confirmation which i have read and posted it in various links,
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by Queenisha: 11:03pm On Sep 03, 2008
Until he comes out and makes a live announcement,nobody can confirm anything
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by Queenisha: 11:11pm On Sep 03, 2008
Sick Yar’Adua Fails To Return Today
September 2, 2008 by Che Oyimnatumba
In apparent bid to put a spade to the circulation about the health of Mr. President, the Federal Government speaking through unnamed sources quoted by the Nigerian media, informed anxious Nigerians that President Yar’Adua who went on lesser Hajj is as fit as a fiddle and will return today to pick up the “ruins” of Nigerian leadership where he left it two weeks ago. At close of work today, Mr. Yar’Adua was nowhere to be found nor did any iron bird vomit him at the presidential wing of Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja.

This lingering uncertainty about the whereabout of Mr. President has added fuel to the report by the Punch Newspaper of Saturday 30th August that he underwent surgery in a Saudi hospital and may not be back in Nigeria soon as the German doctors advice against speedy resumption of duty.

But sources in the presidency especially Olusegun Adeniyi, Special Assistance to the president on media and communication, a top member of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), denies that Mr. President is sick.

Another informed source counters Adeniyi, John Odey (minister of information) position, claiming that indeed Mr. President is terminally sick and his failure to return today was based not on scientific examination but on the divination of a female marabout Mr. President has been consulting in Saudi Arabia.

The half truth by the presidency is not doing the country well, as government is grounded and this cat and mouse game is making Nigeria a laughing stock. The presidency should come out with a detailed report of the health condition of Mr. President and spare Nigerians the shame of not knowing where their number one citizen is.

Nigerians never expected a superman to rule them but a leader should be honest enough to bare his limitations to his followers.

When Mr. President declared his assets, Nigerian thought an honest Daniel has mounted the throne but the manner the true condition of his health is being whispered without official presidential seal, is showing that there is no difference between Yar’Adua and other power hungry looters of Nigeria. 

It is these power hungry looters that are egging Mr. President on, in order to frustrate Section 144 of the 1999 Constitution. All those opposition parties clamoring for Interim Government, this is the opportunity to demand that the Subsections of Section 144 be complied with.

http://www.whichwaynigeria.net/sick-yar%E2%80%99adua-fails-return-today/

what is a female marabout?
is he seeing babalawos in Saudi ?
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by omosor: 11:47pm On Sep 03, 2008
which kind mnmnmnmmnnm human rice dey talk this kind tins sef me no want noise at this peaceful time in Nigeria ----ki yi hakuri, i beg, biko nu, FILIS
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by bettes(f): 1:01am On Sep 04, 2008
I really hope the President will come out of back from Saudi hale and hearty .
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by xheggs(m): 1:39am On Sep 04, 2008
u guys shuld calm down.
i bliv evrything is under control.
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by lalaboi(m): 1:51am On Sep 04, 2008
heard d rumour as well!! bt i knew it wasnt true ! lol
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by Scopium: 8:18am On Sep 04, 2008
[size=13pt]Very soon, the rumour will mutate undecided undecided[/size]
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by onyixbabe(f): 8:42am On Sep 04, 2008
Nigerlanders, i think there is no need for us to knock our heads on this rumour; If our president is alive he'll definitely come back to sit from where ever he's gone to, if he's dead; there'll be official announcement of his death someday of course, someone's death can never be hidden till infinity, so why all these news and rumours everywhere,  eh?.
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by Nobody: 9:00am On Sep 04, 2008
'
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by Ikeora0113: 9:02am On Sep 04, 2008
http://pointblanknews.com/os1129.html

President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua of Nigeria may have been moved from the Intensive Care Unit, ICU, of the King Fahd Armed Forces Hospital, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia for monitored convalescence after undergoing a kidney transplant procedure.

An official of the hospital, who refused identification, confirmed to Pointblanknews.com that President Yar’Adua is indeed at the hospital and has been moved to a new unit which he would not name.

advertisement

The official said: “Yes, he is here and responding well. He has just been moved to another department.” Asked why he was moved, the official said, “I cannot tell you that now call back.” Asked if the President has successfully undergone the kidney transplant, the hospital official said, “Please I cannot answer that. Call back.”

But sources hinted Pointblanknews.com that President Yar’Adua has indeed had a kidney transplant but would not name the donor.

Sources at the hospital told Pointblanknews.com that President Yar’Adua was placed on life support equipment not as “a matter of life and death but to ensure the success of the kidney transplant.

According hospital sources in Saudi Arabia the name of the specific department where President Yar’Adua is, is still being kept as a top security classification at this time because of his status as an Head of State and very important patient.

President Yar’Adua was conspicuously absent at the just concluded Federal Executive Council, FEC, meeting at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa in Abuja leaving Ministers and other top aides in confusion as to why he was not yet back in the country as touted by some media organizations earlier in the week.

Although it is not clear whether the President would be strong enough for an early return to Nigeria. Pointblanknews.com learnt that his present condition may require an eight weeks moratorium for close observation if his body would accept the donated kidney which he is said to have now.

President Yar’Adua was earlier admitted at the Dr. Suleiman Fakeeh Hospital, Jeddah, from where he was moved to the King Fahd Armed Forces Hospital, Jeddah, where he is currently. His inner circle of associates, family members and Nigerians are praying for his quick recovery.

Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by rasputinn(m): 9:10am On Sep 04, 2008
Yea yea,that's what you get when you have an administratrion that wants to dey hide hide things from their citizens

I thought that being a public servant and the no 1 citizen @ that,he's health or ill health was s'possed to be public knowledge so that those that have no other way of assisting can @ least pray for him.

Now how do you pray for somebody wey no first tell you say him dey sick,infact him people say him da gbadun for Saudi,una say him dey sick .

Abeg Mr Prseident and your PR team,please keep hiding your ailment,but pray make breeze no blow one day,make we no see fowl nyash  cool cool cool

N E way,I pray make God improve Mr Presidents health so the ship of state will not be rudderless
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by florishn(f): 9:51am On Sep 04, 2008
it cant be true
just like that if it is true the news would have been breaking news
na wa oooooo
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by mogentle(m): 9:54am On Sep 04, 2008
If u spread shit on your body, flies will surely chase you. No doubt.
They asked for the noise and they are getting it from all angles.

This will surely continue until they know that it is quite insultive to be playing with the intelligence of more than 140million people.Well i wish him quick recovery.
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by carmelily: 9:59am On Sep 04, 2008
Musa Yar’Adua yesterday described reports of his rumoured death as “grossly exaggerated”.

He says the rumours of his death were "grossly exaggerated". meaning, him die small? i should think he might want to say they are outright lies!
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by Nobody: 11:00am On Sep 04, 2008
He is dead and i am going to be the next nigerian president, believe it or not.
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by Echidime(m): 11:18am On Sep 04, 2008
He will make history and will be highly respected if he can willingly resign as President because of his ill health,his vice will take over from him,at least that will save Nigeria from another war of fighting for the next president.

Because if he dies there in office, no one knows what will happen in this country,as I don't see the Hausas accepting Goodluck to replace him, but is yara dua can do it while still alive that will save the country from  the looming Danger ahead.
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by LarryO2(f): 11:53am On Sep 04, 2008
He is not dead, he's being described as a 'statue', so what's the use?

Lets know which is which on time o! since he was sworn in, all of us have known that we've made a sickler our president. so, why should we surprised about this rumor?
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by sley4life(m): 11:54am On Sep 04, 2008
Look at the fine hospital he is in. I heard from sources he is dead which i posted the link, i dont know how true it is
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by sley4life(m): 11:56am On Sep 04, 2008
Look at the fine hospital he is in. I heard from sources he is dead which i posted the link, i dont know how true it is. The Government are lieing to us he went for lesser watever,
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by Ogbeta: 12:07pm On Sep 04, 2008
Government sees private schools as money spinners – Okutade

Will it be right to say that private schools are taking the place of public schools in the country?

To say that private schools are taking the place of public schools in the country is an over-statement. Private schools should go hand in hand with public schools, like those days when they were there to help the government. In those days, private schools were given subventions.>>More

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don wants moral base curriculum

A don at University of Lagos (UNILAG) Prof. Muritala Aderemi Bidmus has advocated for the redesigning of Nigeria philosophy of education to emphasize on the spirit of doing it right. >>More

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Education as a social determinant of health (SDH)

Isaac N. Obasi

One of the first things I learnt from Prof. Layi Erinosho (one of Nigeria’s foremost and internationally distinguished Health Sociologists) during my years of close interaction with him is that health is not the absence of disease (ill-health) but a state of complete well-being. >>More

CADI brings succour to indigent students

Determined to put similes on faces of the poor, Mrs. Njideka Eze through her pet project Community Arts Development Initiatives (CADI) has distributed school materials to indigent students in Ijora community of Lagos State. >>More

UNILAG Mass Comm dept clocks 42

Stories by TITUS ELEWEKE

It was a moment of celebration and stock taking last week Thursday when staff and students of department of mass communication University of Lagos (UNILAG), re-launched the department for greater challenges ahead as a leading institute for the training of journalists, >>More
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by LarryO2(f): 12:22pm On Sep 04, 2008
@ogbeta

what trend is this one now? can't understand
Re: Is President Yar'adua Dead? by ztyle(m): 12:31pm On Sep 04, 2008
Long Live our Presido  cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

. / Boko-Haram Denies Cease-fire With FG & Threatens To Burn More School / How Government Loses Billions To Fraudulent Clearing Agents - The Guardian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.