Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,891 members, 7,866,402 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 04:47 PM

Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip - TV/Movies (67) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip (127494 Views)

Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards.Tinseltown reviews & Gossip (PT2) / Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? / Websites of Nigerian Actors and Actresses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by mamagee6(f): 6:38pm On Sep 21, 2009
Nollywood Actors and actresses.

Favorites: Genevieve Nnaji, Chioma Chukwuka and Ramsey Nouah. tongue
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by iice(f): 6:59pm On Sep 21, 2009
undecided
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by Gamine(f): 7:21pm On Sep 21, 2009
lol.

30 rock is funny, but not so knee-slapping kinda,
but the cast is good, very funny bunch

@Vesc, my return. .hold your breath
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by vescucci(m): 9:58pm On Sep 21, 2009
Gee, Mama gee. Sorry nobody here really cares much for nollywood. And no, that's not unpatriotic.

@Gamine. I hope I don't suffocate.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 10:49pm On Sep 21, 2009
,mama-gee:

Nollywood Actors and actresses.
Favorites: Genevieve Nnaji, Chioma Chukwuka and Ramsey Nouah. tongue

lol

Well Vesc he didn't make Oprah choose his book. And he knows his subject, he's a Jesuit priest working with disadvantaged kids in all the countries featured. You're right; African writers feel they're obligated to write about Africa's issues, that other themes are frivolous given the enormity of the continent's tragedy.

Can't blame them too much. When Anton Fuqua made Tears of the Sun he was heavily criticised for inventing fictional tragedy to base his movie on when Nigeria could supply much genuine material. Oh Faulkner was one of those 'influential' American writers, tons of 'heavy' and 'deep' Pulitzer prize-winning horsesh*t. I didn't know you liked Steinbeck. I've had East of Eden for years but never read it. Grapes of Wrath is magnificent, breathtaking, stunning, incredible. Deserving of the Nobel it earned the author. Did you ever read The Man Died by Wole Soyinka? lol does Umberto permit you to read Nigerian writers at all.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by vescucci(m): 12:06am On Sep 22, 2009
Well, I apologise to the priest but he just happened to be the flash point. I'd have said the same thing if I heard somebody bleat about Adichie. I love good writing. But profiting from its sensation deeply troubles me. It happens everywhere, really. I just can't stand people reading such sad stuff and go 'awww that's so sad' and then go on living their lives without at least digesting the food for thought when they know this happens for real. I remember Okonjo Iweala's kid wrote something similar about the wars in Sierra Leone for his thesis and he got a publishing deal for it. Never mind that the boy went to an ivy league school and probably can't speak pidgin english. It's almost like they're dying to hear our story as we tell it and we're dying to tell it. Though in his case, one cannot rule out the influence of his mum's position in the World bank. I'm skeptical about the history of the Jesuits as perhaps I'm skeptical of the history of everything but this priest is actually doing something. He just happened to write about his stuff. I think it's unfair to say his primarily motive was profit. I apologise to him again. I vaguely remember watching tv a long time ago and there was this guy talking about his book and his childhood etc. He was a priest too living somewhere in east Africa. I think they're the same person. Is this priest living in Kenya or at least outside Nigeria? That would seal the match I guess. You know you creeped me out when you mentioned Umberto Eco's name. I musta told you before. I almost read The Man Died if not for the lousy way the copy I got my hands on was printed. I skipped through it. It's more like a book chronicling his life in the hands of the tyranical military. Complete with dates and locations. It mildly reminded me of Schindler's Ark (or List). I'll surely look for it again. I know you think highly of it. There's also The Famished Road by Ben Okri. When I got that one too, I had to return it before starting. And I didn't know that he'd win the Booker and set a Guiness record whilst. I don't think I'll bother with Chinamanda's books anymore. I dislike too much hype. Then there're the classics that everybody has read. Writing and technology don't mix. I think writers will continue to get poorer and poorer as they lose the ability to use their imagination a little more as the world grows older. Writing can only be exciting and informative now. Precious little awes anymore. I babble too much nowadays.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by Gamine(f): 1:05am On Sep 22, 2009
Johnny Depp may not be part of the 4th POC installment o

http://geektyrant.com/2009/09/pirates-of-the-caribbean-4-without-johnny-depp/?5192c580

How would this be possible!!! shocked
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by vescucci(m): 8:37am On Sep 22, 2009
I don't see it happening. Probably some wildfire rumour. Until I hear something official, I won't even consider it. Ridiculous especially from the marketing point of view. I still think Mummy 3 would have done slightly better if Rachel Weisz had been in it (though a lot more would be needed to save that movie)
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 10:53pm On Sep 22, 2009
POC without Depp? shocked I hope not.

Can you believe I haven't read an Adichie book? The Man Died is superb writing,esp the parts chronicling his extended solitary confinement and hallucinations. I couldn't believe the same Arrow who wrote those boring plays wrote it. Ben Okri and Achebe are literary gods. The Famished Road is my favourite Nigerian novel; it's breathtaking and unlike anything any Nigerian ever wrote before. Lol yeah you mentioned your love for Eco. After a steady diet of literary books- Just finished Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go, I switched to commercial fiction for a spell; Gerald Browne's 19 Purchase Street. The man knows how to tell a story. Have you been following Stephen King's Dark Tower series?Books 1-4 may be some of the best books you've ever read. But those who have read the finale, where Roland gets to the Tower, where all realities and all existence converge, say it's disappointing. I pray not. I haven't read Iweala's book. He's a silverspoon kid but I watched his interview; remarkable young man; humble and smart and very grounded. You're really pissed at Naija writers. Do you like any at all?

The Famished Road set a Guinness Record? For what?

Been watching, when there's time, Sex and the City on DVD. Long stopped following series' while its ongoing lol. You start scheduling your life around them so as not to 'miss' them. And there's all that yeye suspense. I just wait till a season's done and watch the whole thing on DVD, or wait for the end of the entire series. Waiting for LOST to finish it's run next year. What series have you been following? Dexter? Lost? House? Mad Men? Grey's? Desperate Housewives?
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by vescucci(m): 2:40am On Sep 23, 2009
I can believe you've not read an Adichie book. Very much. I'll be sure to look for that The Man Died. For your sake and mine. The Famished Road too. I think Ben Okri secured the record for youngest to win the Booker prize. I'm not sure but I definitely saw him in the 2009 Guinness book. I think Gamine reads Kazuo Ishiguro. I haven't had the pleasure yet. I think we might have seen the same interview with the Iweala dude. Yeah, he's really nice to be around and I suspect we'll be hearing more from him. I read Stephen Kings Wastelands like 4 years ago. I think that's book 3 of the series. I won't read any until I can be guaranteed of reading them serially. I still remember the conscious train. Tick tock man. Etc.Hehe. Me and you do not follow series anymore. I'm sure it's for different reasons but I also do stretches. I've not been watching much these days but I'm trying to finish Boston Legal. I catch Kyle XY and The Mentalist occasionally. I happen to always get a dose of one episode of one of NCIS, CSI or Law & Order SVU. All other shows I watch only cuz they happen to be showing at the time. I think I've finished all there is of House. Heroes started to bore me. Trying to make myself like Six Feet Under. In short, there's no order to how I do series. Oh, I intentionally steer clear of some of them lest I end up liking them. Sex and the City, Desperate Housewives, One Three Hill etc. Do you follow a pattern?
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 10:47am On Sep 23, 2009
Is Kyle XY good?
The Wastelands I only vaguely recall; it followed The Drawing of the Three, the stunning second book after The Gunslinger. Wizard and Glass, book 4, is where I stopped, and it's marvellous. I stopped watching CSI when its eye candy died in Grissom's arms in Season 9. His romance with Sally is so antiseptic and passionless ehn. Ddidn't you love the Lady who owned the S&M house of pain almost made a disciple of Grissom ? Was it Lady Hazel? Boston Legal has some of the best writing on TV. A real treat lol. I wonder if Spader is half that interesting in real life. The guy never even went to college but was a truck driver or something. Heroes I stopped watching after Season 1. So juvenile. I stuck to it that long only cos of the unconvincing but gorgeous Indian academic, and of course, Hiro and his best friend. What's Kyle XY about?
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 12:42am On Sep 24, 2009
Just finished The Exorcism of Emily Rose.Horror. It's just an interesting drama, Not bad at all. Hope it isn't really a true story.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by spikedcylinder: 9:57am On Sep 24, 2009
Just saw Burn After Reading. Where has this movie been all my life? Loved it!!!
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by JeSoul(f): 3:23pm On Sep 24, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Just saw Burn After Reading. Where has this movie been all my life? Loved it!!!
hmm . . . I only watch Geroge Clooney movies when I'm paid to do so. To me he's terribly overrated & frequently mistaken for a "hollywood hunk" cool.

Mad_Max:

Just finished The Exorcism of Emily Rose.Horror. It's just an interesting drama, Not bad at all. Hope it isn't really a true story.
First off Max, I am proud of you, you're slowly chipping away at your wussiness lol.
It is[b] based[/b] on a true story, so how much of it exactly was made up is hard to say . . . but from what I know and have read, I would say the events in that movie are highly plausible.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 7:01pm On Sep 24, 2009
Well I'd heard so much about the horror. It isn't horror; more of a courtroom drama. Doubt those particular demons would inhabit one single person;a-han, who she offend na?I heard there were no visual effects in the girl's contortions; she made those faces and twisted her body like that for real! shocked
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by spikedcylinder: 7:33pm On Sep 24, 2009
JeSoul:

hmm . . . I only watch Geroge Clooney movies when I'm paid to do so. To me he's terribly overrated & frequently mistaken for a "hollywood hunk"  cool.

Lol. If they pay you to see George's movies, what will they have to do to get you to see Stephen Seagal's movies? Gun to the head? tongue After that, they probably bind and gag you to see that idiot - Zac Efron's movies. tongue
I don't think George is exceptional either or even all that good looking (just like Brad Pitt), just an average actor but the cast of Burn After Reading is cool. I like to watch anything with Tilda Swinton in it and I liked the general theme of the movie - much ado about nothing. Great!

Mad_Max:

Well I'd heard so much about the horror. It isn't horror; more of a courtroom drama. Doubt those particular demons would inhabit one single person;a-han, who she offend na?I heard there were no visual effects in the girl's contortions; she made those faces and twisted her body like that for real! shocked

You never jam. Awon aye followed Emily Rose to the last letter T. It was scary o, haba. 3.00am every morning with minions of Lucifer on the prowl and you were not scared? shocked
I think the actress that played that part did a good job though, I think she was also in Quarantine? Plus, the lovely Shoreh Agdashloo was in it as well.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by JeSoul(f): 7:57pm On Sep 24, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Lol. If they pay you to see George's movies, what will they have to do to get you to see Stephen Seagal's movies? Gun to the head? tongue After that, they probably bind and gag you to see that idiot - Zac Efron's movies. tongue
I don't think George is exceptional either or even all that good looking (just like Brad Pitt), just an average actor but the cast of Burn After Reading is cool. I like to watch anything with Tilda Swinton in it and I liked the general theme of the movie - much ado about nothing. Great!

lol nah, Steven Seagal is free . . . all those karate-ing - he has something Clooney doesn't. I guess I dislike GC more cos of the way he is fawned over like he was some acting genuis or ridiculously handsome  - of which he is neither. Yeah and even Pitt too, I don't know what all the hoopla is about.

You never jam. Awon aye followed Emily Rose to the last letter T. It was scary o, haba. 3.00am every morning with minions of Lucifer on the prowl and you were not scared? shocked
I think the actress that played that part did a good job though, I think she was also in Quarantine? Plus, the lovely Shoreh Agdashloo was in it as well.
ROTFLOL . . . either Max is hardcore or she had the remote in her hand fastforwarding all the scary parts (I'm inclined towards the latter)  cheesy
I woke up for like a week straight at that ungodly hour of the morning . . . scary stuff.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 9:23pm On Sep 24, 2009
spikedcylinder:

the cast of Burn After Reading is cool. I like to watch anything with Tilda Swinton in it and I liked the general theme of the movie - much ado about nothing. Great!

Haba. I even watched that movie at night, expecting to have the socks scared off me.The minions of Lucifer? It was just courtroom drama with a few not-so-scary scenes where the demons were displaying their skils. It wasn't scary. And someone was saying THIS is scarier than THE EXORCIST? shocked Not in the same scare league by a looooong shot. Real horror is The House on the Left (original Wes Craven uncut edition), The Thing,The Omen and The Exorcist.
The girl plays Dexter's sister in DEXTER na.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by soki2ng(m): 2:01am On Sep 25, 2009
Here's a gossip. lol someone from my office downloaded a movie that is not yet out. the next day Universial studios reported us to our ISP threating to sue if we dont get rid of all copies of the movie.
the movie is titled "Duplicity"
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by vescucci(m): 3:58am On Sep 25, 2009
'Someone from my office'. Then 'us' and 'we'. How come? Feeling funky, eh, outlaw?
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 11:07am On Sep 25, 2009
I see Karma's rubbed off on you.

@soki2ng
Mebbe they thought you were going to make bootleg copies and start distributing.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by No2Atheism(m): 7:07am On Sep 26, 2009
1. all of una waking up and sweating cus of a movie . . . i think u need Karmamod to lay hands on u . . . grin grin grin.

2. @jesoul u need to be delivered of the NBA those over paid babies playing the boring game . . .
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 12:09pm On Sep 26, 2009
Lol it's Spikie and JS in The Wuss Club.
Saw The Godsend
Robert DeNiro, Greg Kinnear, Rebbecca Romijn-Stamos, Cameron Bright.
A young couple lose their only child in a terrible accident. Life is bleak,until an elderly,mysterious Doctor makes them a strange proposal: He can bring the child back.
Run of the mill, formulaic thriller, nothing special at all.

Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by spikedcylinder: 12:45pm On Sep 28, 2009
Wuss club? I will flog you with a chicken bone and pour our infamous aspirin wax in your mouth. It'll be nice to watch your shriek. tongue

Lemme guess, Deniro was the doctor, huh? cheesy
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by JeSoul(f): 5:44pm On Sep 28, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Wuss club? I will flog you with a chicken bone and pour our infamous aspirin wax in your mouth. It'll be nice to watch your shriek. tongue
lol indeed it will. Max, the last time someone called me chicken she ended up in the dog house and I ended up in the principals office . . . let him who has ears hear . . . lol
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 8:52pm On Sep 28, 2009
LMAO! Only me? Wetin I do na? And after the aspirin wax and the dog house, y'all go back to watching Emily Rose and shaking in your boots, abi? The frigging thing wasn't horrible, what do you want me to do, pretend to be scared? Infamous aspirin wax. lol. Ika. It was mask.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by spikedcylinder: 1:42pm On Sep 29, 2009
Chai, dog house? I thought Jesoul was a sweet little angel (according to our common friend tongue).
Max, better go back and watch Emily Rose then comeback  and testify how scared you were and how you almost peed in your pants. Dog house is not a good thing o. Dog house kwa?
*sign of the cross* tongue
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by JeSoul(f): 2:34pm On Sep 29, 2009
lol Spiked *cough cough* I am smiley I've been turning over a new leaf the past 10yrs . . . I used to be an unrepentant crazy and can revert at any moment ripe with the right circumstances cool. And who is this our "common friend"?

Max, I find it hard a human soul was not rocked to the core by ER shocked the only conclusion I can make as I did with the head who said Dark Knight wasn't one of the best action movies ever is that you musta watched the Nollywood version of Emily Rose . . . there's no other plausible explanation.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by spikedcylinder: 3:00pm On Sep 29, 2009
Jesoul. grin grin grin
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by JeSoul(f): 3:48pm On Sep 29, 2009
lol, got it Spiked. So . . . what other superpowers do you have? smiley
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by spikedcylinder: 3:58pm On Sep 29, 2009
I can make food disappear. grin Howzat, huh? grin
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by JeSoul(f): 4:15pm On Sep 29, 2009
is that so? lol, prove it . . .

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (100)

Photos: Meet Big Brother Nigeria 2017 Housemates / Khalifa Vanithel: Big Brother Cameroon Winner And Her Prize (Photos) / What Was The Last Movie You Watched - Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.