Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

Nairaland Official Chess Thread! - Gaming (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Nairaland Official Chess Thread! (116427 Views)

Chess Basics For Beginners / Nairaland's Official Instagram Thread; Post Your IG Handles. / Nairaland Official PSP Apps,games,tutorials & H@cks(striclty For PSP Fans Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 11:34am On Jun 01, 2010
Max Euwe-5th world chess champion

Born: May 20, 1901 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Died: November 26, 1981 in Amsterdam

Max Euwe's strength lied in his consistent, logical play. He regularly refuted incorrect tactical shots and combinations, accurately calculating the best lines in complex situations. He was also one of the earliest players to use extensive opening preparation and thoroughly prepare for matches.

Euwe is sometimes regarded as a weak World Champion who was lucky to defeat Alekhine, but this is probably an unfair assessment. He was among the best players of his era, and his style was difficult for Alekhine to deal with throughout their careers.

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 11:40am On Jun 01, 2010
Mikhail Botvinnik-6th world chess champion

Born: August 17, 1911, in Kuokkala, Finland (now Repino, Russia)

Died: May 5, 1995, in Moscow, Russia

Mikhail Botvinnik was the first great player produced by the Soviet chess school. He exhibited a strong all-around game, but was particularly adept at strategy play. While he did not have as strong a tactical eye as most world-class players, his long-term plans often proved unbeatable.

Botvinnik left a lasting influence on chess in several ways. For one, his chess school produced future champions such as Karpov, Kasparov and Kramnik, making him one of the great chess teachers in history. Secondly, he helped develop the professional preparation methods that top players use to the day, including studying specific opponents and preparing physically as well as mentally. Botvinnik was also one of the first players to show an interest in computer chess.

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 11:45am On Jun 01, 2010
Vasily Smyslov-7th world chess champion

Born: March 24, 1921, in Moscow, Soviet Union (now Russia)

Smyslov may have had the least distinctive style of the World Chess Champions. He is mainly known as a positional player, strong in the endgame and possessing excellent technique, but was also capable of finding deep combinations at times, adapting to the situation as need be.

Smyslov did not found a school or style of chess, but he was a rather prolific contributor to opening theory.

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 11:50am On Jun 01, 2010
Mikhail Tal-8th world chess champion

Born: November 9, 1936 in Riga, Latvia

Died: June 28, 1992 in Moscow, Russia

Mikhail Tal was known as "The Magician from Riga," and with good reason. His tactical prowess was perhaps the greatest of any of the World Champions, and his imaginative, aggressive attacking play was difficult for opponents to resist. He would often make speculative sacrifices -- sometimes sound, sometimes not -- that would force his opponents to solve difficult problems. Rather than concern himself with playing the objectively "best" moves, Tal seeked to find moves that his opponents wouldn't be able to deal with.

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 9:11am On Jun 30, 2010
9th world champion-Tigran Petrosian

Born: June 17, 1929 in Tbilisi, Georgia (USSR)

Died: August 13, 1984 in Moscow, Russia

Tigran Petrosian was known for his incredible defensive capabilities, which made him among the most difficult players to defeat in the history of chess. This style earned him the nickname "Iron Tigran." Of course, as a World Champion, Petrosian was strong in all aspects of the game; but his ability to sense tactical danger and maintain the safety of his position is what stands out when looking at his games. Rather than look to land a spectacular finishing blow, Petrosian was satisfied with accumulating small advantages and winning strategically.

# Won four Soviet Chess Championships
# Remained a Championship candidate (or World Champion) for 10 consecutive cycles spanning 30 years
# In ten Olympiad appearances spanning 139 games, lost just 1 game (+78 -1 =50)

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 9:17am On Jun 30, 2010
10th world chess champion-Boris Spassky

Born: January 30, 1937 in Leningrad, USSR

Boris Spassky was a well-rounded champion who excelled in all areas of the game. He was not an opening expert in terms of depth of knowledge, but he did play a wide variety of systems well throughout his career. His play was flexible and adaptable to the situation at hand, which made him a difficult opponent to prepare for.

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 9:30am On Jun 30, 2010
11th world chess champion -Robert James "Bobby" Fischer

Born: March 9, 1943 in Chicago, USA

Died: January 17, 2008 in Reykjavik, Iceland

Bobby Fischer is usually found near the top of lists of the all-time greatest chess players. For a short period of time (roughly from 1970-1972), he was as dominant as any player has ever been over other world-class competition. His energetic style was designed to put maximum pressure on his opponents; combined with his near flawless technique and his insatiable desire to finding winning chances in each game, this made him a difficult opponent to face psychologically for many players.

Fischer was known for his deep opening preparation, so it comes as no surprise that he made many contributions to opening theory. He also made other innovations, such as Fischer Random Chess (today better known as Chess960) and the Fischer chess clock. His insistence that chess players perform under more professional conditions helped raise the amount of money and prestige for elite chess players as well.

Unfortunately, Fischer's legacy was tarnished by his anti-Semitic views as well as his reclusive nature after winning the World Championship in 1972.

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 9:38am On Jun 30, 2010
12th world chess champion-Anatoly Karpov

Born: May 23, 1951 in Zlatoust, USSR (now Russia)

Karpov is known as a positional player, one who looked to squeeze every small advantage out of a position and torture his opponent by building pressure. This logical, strategic style made Karpov very difficult to defeat, as he rarely went for complex tactical lines or made major errors, preferring to gain a slight edge with no chance of defeat.

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 4:00am On Jul 30, 2010
@ tushbobo
you said you were on hypernigeria and could not make a headway, for the records Hypernigeria forum has got a borad dedicated solely to the Nigerian chess i created this thread years ago so i know what am talking about.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 10:00am On Aug 05, 2010
Ok.I ve seen what u r talking about but the members seem to be few i ll join and may be encourage others.Chess is more than just the game,
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Jencejyde(m): 10:09pm On Aug 10, 2010
tushbobo exactly how well do you play and what's your Fide rating if you have one
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 8:47am On Aug 11, 2010
I dont have a fide rating but have a rating of 1804 on http://www.gamecolony.com/chess_2.shtml.
Other rating exams i ve taking on other chess programs give me about 1850.I know i ll do well if i m really competitive but i take chess as a leisure game.There s not much chess activity in ph where i currently reside unlike what obtains in lagos.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Jencejyde(m): 1:47pm On Aug 11, 2010
Nice! mine is 1920 but not exactly that acurrate as well and the like of Bunmi, Charles Campbell, small b and co. i know them pretty well but ive since lost touch with the chess world. Thank God it's on NL and i can now get back. have you tried http://CHESSCUBE.COM that's where youll find me usually playing blitz as jdcrux. my ratings may falter at times and drop really low but then on a good day im kinda strong.

Please do you know any chess clubs in Lagos cos i reside here in lag. Hola!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 3:53pm On Aug 11, 2010
yea,u have "friends of chess" and one other competition in which holds every month with the venue in unilag.I know some chess clubs in surulere but cant remember the addresses unless i do some check.But i m sure u ll get more than enough links if u can attend the tournament which holds in unilag,i think it should have almost started by now.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Jencejyde(m): 3:56pm On Aug 11, 2010
where in unilag? hola let me drive down and please what time do they meet
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 4:53pm On Aug 11, 2010
follow this link http://hypernigeria.com/index.php?topic=143.0
I saw something like the competition was on saturday.check it out n ask people on the forum or something.i m in ph presently n have limited access to some of these info.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Jencejyde(m): 6:36pm On Aug 11, 2010
aight bro!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 4:45pm On Aug 16, 2010
Behind bobo:

follow this link http://hypernigeria.com/index.php?topic=143.0
I saw something like the competition was on saturday.check it out n ask people on the forum or something.i m in ph presently n have limited access to some of these info.

@ Tushbobo common Behind that piece , Arbiter!! How far? NBL is next weekend o 23rd to 28 th august. hope you are coming, no worry i will try as much as possible to always update everybody on hypernigeria, imagine a whole board dedicated to chess, soon we will be publishing and analysing games of Nigerian players all over the world remember we are still searching for the first Nigerian GM!! we also intend to start the HYPERNIGERIA chess tournament soon. Behind baba, jadube!!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Jencejyde(m): 2:44pm On Aug 21, 2010
is the tournmanet holding in unilag or at the National stadium. Address please ASAP!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Sulejamn92: 4:11pm On Aug 22, 2010
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 10:06am On Aug 23, 2010
chessguru:

@ Tushbobo common Behind that piece , Arbiter!! How far? NBL is next weekend o 23rd to 28 th august. hope you are coming, no worry i will try as much as possible to always update everybody on hypernigeria, imagine a whole board dedicated to chess, soon we will be publishing and analysing games of Nigerian players all over the world remember we are still searching for the first Nigerian GM!! we also intend to start the HYPERNIGERIA chess tournament soon. Behind baba, jadube!!
That was some funny stuff.I try to be in lag for NBL.Work is just getting in my way, enjoy
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 12:22pm On Jul 06, 2011
for those that want to learn the game of chess from the DON join my page on facebook and ask any question, i bet you can become a chess master within 2 weeks!! http://www.facebook.com/akinseye.akinleye#!/pages/GM-Akinov-Akinleye-Akinseye/249636351720632
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by switch47(m): 11:45pm On Sep 09, 2011
10th All African games Chess result

ALL AFRICA GAMES RESULTS (ROUNDS 3 AND 4)
Apologies for being unable to relay the round 2 results yesterday. It was due to internet problems. Like most of you already know, we were trounced by Zambia 3-1 yesterday with Jibola, Campbell and Bayo losing on boards 1-3. What a horrible birthday gift for Bayo. Bunmi won on 4.
The ladies whitewashed Mozambique 3.5-0.5 with Nsisong, Doris and Tobi winning on 1, 2 and 4. Rosemary could only draw on 3 despite her spirited efforts, a pawn up in a bishop ending.
In round 4 today, the ladies category had a break while we played Kenya. At the end of hostilities, it was NGR 4 KEN 0 courtesy Jibola, Bayo, Benjamin and Bunmi. CM Charl;es Campbell reporting

http://www.naijahood.com/2011/09/all-africa-games-chess-results-round-3.html
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by switch47(m): 11:52pm On Sep 09, 2011
switch47:

10th All African games Chess result

ALL AFRICA GAMES RESULTS (ROUNDS 3 AND 4)
Apologies for being unable to relay the round 2 results yesterday. It was due to internet problems. Like most of you already know, we were trounced by Zambia 3-1 yesterday with Jibola, Campbell and Bayo losing on boards 1-3. What a horrible birthday gift for Bayo. Bunmi won on 4.
The ladies whitewashed Mozambique 3.5-0.5 with Nsisong, Doris and Tobi winning on 1, 2 and 4. Rosemary could only draw on 3 despite her spirited efforts, a pawn up in a bishop ending.
In round 4 today, the ladies category had a break while we played Kenya. At the end of hostilities, it was NGR 4 KEN 0 courtesy Jibola, Bayo, Benjamin and Bunmi. CM Charl;es Campbell reporting

Nigerian Chess players,Nigerian chess, Chess tournaments in Nigeria,Chess ,Nigerian Chess news

Continue to pray for Nigeria chess players .
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:02pm On Sep 11, 2011
@jencyjyde, go to the unilag sports center, ask for the chess club, its upstairs at the indoor hall, go in the evenings around 4.

greet those folks for me. i used to be a member there way back wen them bunmi and aigboje were regulars there.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by blowjanet: 1:41am On Sep 17, 2011
Please I got a clean HTC Wildfire for sale,it is moderately clean an very functional its an android os based fone n working perfectly. no complains or malfunctions.
if your interested holla 08080187158 or email beeyee18@gmail.com
Starting price 40k
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by sandeepc: 1:33pm On Sep 17, 2011
Dear Nairalanders,

You can now Play World's Best Online Browser Game for Free, !!!

More more information please post your e-mail address here.

Will send you the link of the GAME within 24 Hours.

Trust me you will enjoy it.

Thanks for your support.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by gmobik: 5:54pm On Dec 08, 2011
hey guys!

nice reading up!
as can be seen from my name i am a retired GM, (self aclaimed)
i was once unofficially Elo rated, 2475

some of you alredy knw me,because i recognise names here.
is there a site i can log in & warm up at, i still feel the explosive juices boiling in my veins!!! cheesy
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by bayleaf(m): 9:47am On Dec 29, 2011
wow, i never knew such a thread as this exist in nairaland. please those in the house, do you know how much a chess mat cost?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 4:03pm On Dec 29, 2011
Between N1,500 and N2,000
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 4:54pm On Dec 29, 2011
gm obik:

hey guys!

nice reading up!
as can be seen from my name i am a retired GM, (self aclaimed)
i was once unofficially Elo rated, 2475

some of you alredy knw me,because i recognise names here.
is there a site i can log in & warm up at, i still feel the explosive juices boiling in my veins!!! cheesy

u can try gamecolony.com. u ll meet some strong players there, just click on the chess link
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by bayleaf(m): 4:55pm On Dec 30, 2011
Fortissimo:

Between N1,500 and N2,000
i searched everywhere for a chess mat, even up to shoprite and i could not get one.please hwere can i get to buy?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply)

Pls Help Me On How I Can Install PES 2013 On My Computer. / Efootball PES 2024 PPSSPP Android Game Download / How To Use Cheats On Android PPSSPP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.