Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? (5072 Views)

Differences Between Soul, Spirit And Body? / What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) / What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by olabowale(m): 2:05pm On Jun 18, 2008
@Pastor AIO:

Sir, I do not quite understand your fear of people claiming trinity, but this argument has nothing to do with Trinity and I wasn't going to go there so let us proceed in truth and integrity and not twist arguments for fear of what conclusion it might lead to.  This is a very important point because it is the cause of so many errors.  One cannot follow an argument with integrity when he already has the conclusion in his mind.  He will try to bend the argument in order to make it get to the conclusion.  The proper way to proceed is to just follow the argument to wherever it leads.

My esteemed brother, I like your style. I have no fear of anyone, but God Almighty, alone. I pray it remains that way. And I was not going to talk about trinity, since I aluded to discouraging the would be proponent not to even try to use my argument, which I left somewhat inconclusive, to be used to proof it. And we need to bare in mind that it is not in all cases that a conclusion is already formed that integrity is thrown away, in order to argue for what is obvious. If a point is clear, and it is stated as such, whereby it becomes the focus of debates, one needs to be sincere in speech for the discussion to be a good debate. One is important in argument is truth about a subject. One should present the truth, sincerely and with honesty as much as one knows it. But the truth is the truth. Absolute truth is absolute. there is no other way to express it.

|This reminds me of the argument of an old medieval christian Theologian.  He was trying to demonstrate the mercy of God and how well God thinks of us.  He say for example that wherever Human beings have raised towns and set up habitation that God is so merciful that he sends them a source of fresh water in the form of a river or a lake.  How ridiculous!  Is it not in fact the case that wherever there is a source of fresh water that human beings will go and settle there.  The water is there before the humans not vice versa.  But that is what happens when you have a conclusion even before you started pursuing an argument.  

But this argument about water and human settlement will actually be not always the norm. For right here in the USA, we have a city call Las Vegas, without any water source at all. Yet, in the middle of the desert, is where this city of several millions is situated. All the water that they use in this city, is not from a source that was indigenous to it. Well, you dont want meto tell you about many more cities that are in desert now? But in all your argument, you started with Flesh and Spirit, but I did not see where you spoke about Flesh and Nafs, just as boldly. What you have done was exactly what i said before; Spirit and amina/Naf are the same. You can not really have one without the other. It is the Spirit/Soul that its dominating in the Spiritual way, whreby it is the extension part of it, Nafs that is the anima of man.
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by kolaoloye(m): 2:06pm On Jun 18, 2008
Pastor AIO:

I agree that they are inseparable in an individual. But this includes the body also. I've just realised something. What we are arguing is not whether they are separate entities, but rather the distinction lies in their function. There is a yoruba saying: ise meta ni omo ori odo n se. A pestle has three function. It is a pounder for making pounded yam. It is a barricade for securing the door. and it is a grinder for grinding vegetables. Do these 3 functions make it three separate objects? No. So when people complain that their Ori is not good they are told that it is the same Ori that they picked from the same place as everybody else. Yet the manifestation of it differs in each individual. That manifestation called Iwa which can be translated as character and also state of being.

Ise meta ni omori odo nse
A pestle can be applied to 3 tasks
Won a f'ori re gun'yan
The head is used to pound yam
Won a f'idi re gun elu
It's base can be used to grind herbs
Won a fi agbedemeji re ti ilekun dain dain dain
It's middle part can be used to barricade the doors firmly
Thus was declared to Oriseku (the non-starter, or the defective ori) child of Ogun
Thus was declared to Ilemere (the short-lived) child of Ija
Thus was declared to Afuwape (the fulfilled destiny) child of Agbonmiregun
They went to the home of Ajalamopin to each pick themselves an Ori (destiny)
They were prescribed Ebo.
Only Afuwape tarried to comply.
Lament: "If I had known where successful people choose their Ori (destinies) that is where I would have gone to pick mine.
If I'd known where Afuwape choose his destiny from that is where I would have gone to choose mine."
Response: All Ori (destiny) is chosen at the same place, yet they unfold differently for different individuals.

Pastor! na wah o
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by PastorAIO: 2:08pm On Jun 18, 2008
olabowale:

But it is the anima that is the inner person. The one that is the personality of the person. The body houses it. It is the physical that let us know, as the symptom of the anima that is inside, which can not be seen with the naked eye. A person who gets old, though the body is breaking apart, rather shows sign of age, will still have the same personality/anima. But if his anima is unattractive as obnoxious, rude, etc, though he may projects it it still will not make him bodily unacttractive or rude to the sight, if he is a handsome person, physically.

An unattractive personality does not translate to an 'unattractive body' in that sense because the attractiveness of the body is just a matter of taste.  But whatever occurs in the anima will have a correspondence in the body, human aesthetic judgements like pretty or ugly are not the issue.  Contained in the Anima is the entire process from birth to old age.  Growing old is not a process divorced from the Anima.  Growth and decay are expressions of Anima.
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by olabowale(m): 3:02pm On Jun 18, 2008
@Pastor:

When the Imam came he explained, not from the Koran but from someone who he called the eminent commentator on koran and hadith.  I can't recall the name, it was a long arabic name.  He said that Nafs is what drives the body, I asked,"do you mean the characteristics?" he inclined his head left and right in a comme ci comme ca way and said sort off.  He then said Ruuh was the fuel of the body.  Like a machine.  You have a car, the body, the driver is the Nafs and the fuel inside is the Ruuh.  I suggested Ruuh was breath and he responded that what did I mean by breath.  I said breath.  He said well people understand different things and have different connotations from breath so he needed to know what I meant.  In other words that was left unanswered.  Anyway he said that the engine can't run without fuel and so it is with the body without ruuh.

Not everything about Islam is in the AlQur'an, in full details. The explainer of this Noble Book, is the Prophet (AS). God sent the Book and sent the explainer with it. He was waiting already as a matured man for it. No one explains the AlQur'an unless their own fountain of explanation is the prophet, the source among mankind. And when you said to the Imam, nafs as the characteristics, a single word. He did not want to give you a yes, because it is more than characteristics, alone. And what you meant, anyhow by characteristics is only your own knowledge. He would give you a ton of information about nafs, if it was time permissible for both of you. But you could have said of Ruuh as breath or Spirit of life. He would have said yes, rather than when you said breath alone. And I will shock you here and now; when God said He breath His Spirit to Adam, it should not be considered as when a person breath into a person to ressucitate him. God is Holier than that. he has power of command. He says that he comands Adam to Be, so Adam was!

The reason that I even responded to this thread is when the people began to say that human is made of three elements; each separate. And in honesty, they did not say each is coequal. But they brought the three as separate making up the human a a means of fostering their agenda. It is then that I thought it is best that i let them know, by Allah's permission that Ruuh and Nafs are the same. And truly man is a mixture of its seen (physical form;body) and the Unseen (the unformed or without shape form; Nafs/Ruuh).

Another very interesting thing he said was that when the embryo is formed in the womb, after 4months God then sends the Ruuh into the body and that is when the foetus becomes a living soul.  4 months!, I thought, but I did not say anything.

Am sure you are familar with the term first trimester in pregnancy? 4 months is after that, whereby any one who performs an abortion of that feotus, the right to lifers always say that its like killing the person. Moreover its very complicated at this time than if the abortion is done much earlier, in the pregnancy. Disclaimer: I am not advocating any one performing abortion. I am just expalining the feotal condition, with before and when/after the Ruuh is brought into the womb.

To conclude he advised me that there are more central things to Isla.m than Nafs and Ruuh and told me about the 5 pillars.  He said that the important thing was to be aware that God is One and to worship this One God.  Nafs and Ruuh though important are incidental to the main point.

His advice is very sound. What is the benefit of all of the knowledge, if you reject the central theme that the whole knowledge is much much secondary to? Your superior knowledge can not mean anything in the day of Judgement, if the belief in One god is not sound and correct. Yet the least knowledgeable and weak person who belief in One god in a very sound and correct way, will receive mercy of god and be entered into His Garden.

I find that hard to accept because I cannot think of anything more important than understanding oneself and the motivations that drive one, especially if they are capable of driving you either to paradise or hell.

But if you have all the knowledge and do not fear the punishment of God which He will carry out by the fire of hell, and at the same time long and hope for His mercy and forgiveness by which He will show by ransoming one with a place in paradise, then will lack of understanding oneself and the motivations that drives one be an excuse with with God, if one is thrown in Fire and will it be also a reason to say one deserve the rewards in paradise if one ends up in it? Neither position can be attached to what you need to know first before Understanding God and the your obligations to Him. God says that He did not creat us except to worship Him. This is the purpose of life. It is the Core single purpose. The verse following this statement from God, is followed by His saying that all sustenance he has provided and it is up to him alone.

An unattractive personality does not translate to an 'unattractive body' in that sense because the attractiveness of the body is just a matter of taste. But whatever occurs in the anima will have a correspondence in the body, human aesthetic judgements like pretty or ugly are not the issue. Contained in the Anima is the entire process from birth to old age. Growing old is not a process divorced from the Anima. Growth and decay are expressions of Anima.

Am sure that you have heard that Prophet Joseph was very pretty. His physical beauty was what attracted the wife of his master to want to have sex with him. It was his pure Ruuh/Nafs that stopped him from going for it.

I pray that what we say to each other will benefit us. I pray that God forgives us our misdeeds and bad speech. I pray that God softens our hearts to receive guidance from Him. I pray that He has mercy on us and forgives us our sins.
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by PastorAIO: 10:42am On Jun 19, 2008
olabowale:

But this argument about water and human settlement will actually be not always the norm. For right here in the USA, we have a city call Las Vegas, without any water source at all. Yet, in the middle of the desert, is where this city of several millions is situated. All the water that they use in this city, is not from a source that was indigenous to it.

In Las Vegas, thanks to modern technology they have found a way to bring the water to the desert. Trust me, humans cannot settle anywhere where there is no access to fresh water. God did not miraculously supply las vegas with water. Humans transported the water there. In the past there have been cities in the desert but they have all either been situated on an oasis or an underground stream flowed close enough to the surface for them to dig a well and access it.

This is totally off the topic, I know, but I'm feeling in a petty mood today.
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by olabowale(m): 2:55pm On Jun 19, 2008
@Pastor AIO: OKare. Gbere. Omo Oduduwa. I have a throw back on the Alawiye and the Awo Rerin era.

Nigeria should copy from the west in what the west have done in goodness.
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by PastorAIO: 10:18am On Jan 26, 2010
bump
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by Krayola(m): 1:59pm On Jan 26, 2010
I think meanings evolve and words mean different things to different people at different times. That's just the nature of language. Words do not inherently mean anything. . . they mean stuff based on "agreement" between a group of people. If one looks through the bible (chronologically- as in when what was written and not where it appears in the bible) and the context in which those words were used, one should expect to notice changing/evolving meaning.

For example, earlier in Jewish thought, "soul"/"spirit" was, I think, understood as the "animative" force of the body (breath, blood. .  stuff like that. .). That it was a separate entity with a "life and existence" of it's own isn't something I'm aware of that was believed in ancient pre-exile Israel/judah (the body was believed to be vital/"sacred" and even the first Jewish ideas of the afterlife were physical. . e.g The resurrection of the body). . The idea of an eternal soul independent of the body was most likely a Greek idea that , over time, developed to be the generally accepted use/meaning of the word.
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by PastorAIO: 3:27pm On Jun 19, 2011
Krayola:

I think meanings evolve and words mean different things to different people at different times. That's just the nature of language. Words do not inherently mean anything. . . they mean stuff based on "agreement" between a group of people. If one looks through the bible (chronologically- as in when what was written and not where it appears in the bible) and the context in which those words were used, one should expect to notice changing/evolving meaning.

For example, earlier in Jewish thought, "soul"/"spirit" was, I think, understood as the "animative" force of the body (breath, blood. .  stuff like that. .). That it was a separate entity with a "life and existence" of it's own isn't something I'm aware of that was believed in ancient pre-exile Israel/judah (the body was believed to be vital/"sacred" and even the first Jewish ideas of the afterlife were physical. . e.g The resurrection of the body). . The idea of an eternal soul independent of the body was most likely a Greek idea that , over time, developed to be the generally accepted use/meaning of the word.

krayola was right about words meaning different things to different people at different times. And when a text is kept for centuries then the words used in that text, though they meant something else originally, would be applied to something new. That is the way that religious thought keeps evolving.
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by InesQor(m): 4:06pm On Jun 19, 2011
Na wa o. This section is sorely missing quality posts by people like Krayola.
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by Sweetnecta: 5:08am On Jun 20, 2011
it is interesting that Adam [as] the first man was activated to the living man by the Quran saying that spirit was breathed into Adam. The Bible also say something similar. we must note that the process of the breath into was not explained. i am very sure that no one thinks that God held Adam and physically breathed into him. that will be work and God from Islamic perspective does no work, but commands everything into being or take place.

no one will say that soul was mentioned in the above process.

however, in the Quran, Allah says the souls of the children of Adam was removed from Adam into an assembly, where they were all asked by Him 'Am I not your Lord?'. they answered in one voice to affirm it.

in the Quran it is stated that whoever does good, it is for his own soul, and whoever does evil it is for his own soul.

we should note that creation of Adam took place in heaven, hence spirit is used. but when t comes to the existence of the children of Adam, souls are mentioned. but the creation of the children of Adam are not in heaven but on earth.

if no soul is mentioned about creation of Adam, but only in the creation of his child, soul must be spirit, in this case, since Adam has 2 parts, there is no possibility for his child to have 3 parts 1 more than him, since the 2 parts that Adam had was enough for him to exist first in heaven and later on earth, 2 part must be enough for his child to exist, too on earth, the only place they needed to exist before death and recreation of all for Judgment Day.

i will call the attention to the living body of Adam because the 'spirit' was breathed to it, is the same body that was lifeless as a shaped clay. in the case of the living offspring of Adam, apart from Eve who was from a piece of Adam, everyone else started out as an internal thing developing inside mother, 'body' that started out from something simple and small and not easily visible to naked eye, then ever changing from one stage to another, and getting bigger until it becomes full baby human. inside the mother, there is a point that what is similar to spirit that was only needed to make Adam came alive, will also happen to the developing thing, fetus inside the mother. this thing can't have a different nature from that spirit that jump started Adam. we do know this is called 'soul', that is always in the first trimester and not after 4 months that the pastoraio said he heard. i believe you heard wrongly and when people from indian subcontinent rock head sideways, they are saying yes, instead of your nodding your head up and down.

can children of Adam have more parts than Adam?
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by PastorAIO: 4:12pm On Oct 06, 2011
I believe that it might have been during the course of this thread that I started to take the muslims on this board as fake assed posturers. I brought references from eminent islamic scholars saying that Ruh and Nafs only got equated at a latter stage after the koran. Not a single one could quote quran for me on any of the issues raised here. All they could do is spout some baseless theologising.

If one doesn't know something it is not a crime. All you have to do is say, 'i don't know'. Nobody will bite your head off.
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by Sweetnecta: 4:30pm On Oct 06, 2011
^^^ So let me ask you mr. egunjobi or you prefer osonyinjobi [awojobi has been taken by the professor], could you tell me if soul was breathe into Adam or it was spirit?

Read that portion of the Quran where the creation of Adam is discussed.

Then go to his children as see that all was mentioned about them is soul.

Then think a little bit harder than usual. Find for yourself matters concerning the issue of Spirit that was breathe into Adam and then the Soul that his children have.

What do you think?

Did Adam have Soul or Spirit?

Do the Children of Adam have Spirit or Soul?

Which one of them as a group has something more than the other?

Where is the soul of Adam when Spirit was the only thing breathed into him?

Where is the spirit of the children of Adam when all they have is soul?

Can you finally realize that Soul in the children of Adam is the same as the Spirit in their father, Adam?

When you approached a man who knew something, but didnt know enough about Soul being Spirit, you will have this wrong opinion, just like the Christians.
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by Sweetnecta: 5:59pm On Oct 06, 2011
Since Adam [as] was not mentioned to have a soul go into him, but only the spirit went into him, I wonder why it was the soul of man taste death? we must have to accept that soul of man is spirit of man before the spirit enters the body of man. read about the oath swore to my man confirming that God is his Lord.

So, when I have made him and have breathed into him of My Spirit, do ye fall down, prostrating yourselves unto him. Quran; 15 verse 29.

Then He fashioned him and breathed into him of His Spirit; and appointed for you hearing and sight and hearts. Small thanks give ye! Quran: 32 verse 9

"[b]Every soul [/b]shall have taste of death; In the end to us shall ye be brought back .(Surah Al-'Ankabut The Spider 29:57)
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by Sweetnecta: 7:07pm On Oct 06, 2011
Surah Araf [Chapter 7] Verse 23 uses a derivative of nafs {anfusana}in the repentance prayer of Adam and Eve. Note that they didn't say Spirit. You will agree, pastoraio that there is no way that they will be saying Soul, unless it is the same as the Ruh [Spirit] that was breathed into Adam; They said, "Our Lord, we have wronged our souls [ourselves], and if You do not forgive us and have mercy upon us, we will surely be among the losers."
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by Joagbaje(m): 9:49pm On Oct 06, 2011
The spirit is the real man. The soul is the realm if his feelings and emotions
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by Sweetnecta: 6:52am On Oct 07, 2011
^^^^^ Real man seen, physical is SPIRIT? No wonder everyone who dies, it was the spirit that dies. I am amused. But I learned from Joe, already.

Pastor Oluwo apeno oja; here is your mate in belief; Disbelievers, both of you are.

I will leave you guys alone to fraternize.
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by Amujale(m): 3:32pm On Oct 07, 2011
Joagbaje:

The spirit is the real man. The soul is the realm of our feelings and emotions

Totally!
Re: Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? by benodic: 6:21pm On Oct 07, 2011
@ poster

first of all we are all souls created in the image and likeness of God. Soul is an individualized unit of the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit is the essence of God, the life force that animates all things. Soul on coming down to the physical plane passes through the etheric, mental, causal and astral planes. so soul puts on the etheric, mental, causal, astral and physical bodies in order to experience life in the physical plane.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Do Our Christian Sisters In The House Have To Say About This? / Does Demon Lives In Human Or Follows Human / Meet The Pretty Lesbian Atheist Who Practices Witchcraft (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.