Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (491) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (915005 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) ... (510) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Sagaciousd1: 5:50pm On Oct 28, 2023
kinzey1:

These codes are more of MaF and oxygen sensor. Not responsible for jerk but high fuel consumption.

Check your CV joint/inner cup. This maybe the culprit. Be careful when replacing it in other not to contaminate your gear. Buy a new joint if the old one is faulty
Thank you so much. I will do as advice
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Obidikejr(m): 12:41am On Oct 29, 2023
Hello bosses in the house.

I'm about to buy a car. Noticed a few things.

1. The steering isnt smooth enough. Has a stiff turn.

2. The AC really pulls at the engine especially when moving from a stop.

This is a Honda Accord 2009.

I understand I'm buying a Nigerian used car and it won't be nearly 100% perfect. But are this things fixable and not cause regret if I proceed further to purchase the car

Also noticed the vehicle paper has expired way back in 2016 (same time the custom duty was done). According to the dealer, the person has been using the car in the core north (where all this uniform people don't trouble them) so didn't see need to renew the vehicle papers. What do you think ?

Appreciate your thought on this too
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Obidikejr(m): 12:44am On Oct 29, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

https://www.nairaland.com/7687769/first-service#123268225

Keep driving and hope the contamination clears or replace transmission

Hello boss.

1. The steering isnt smooth enough. Has a stiff turn. I won't enjoy driving it this way atall. I'm used to light steering and easy turning of the wheel.

I understand I'm buying a Nigerian used car and it won't be nearly 100% perfect. But are this things fixable and not cause regret if I proceed further to purchase the car

Also noticed the vehicle paper has expired way back in 2016 (same time the custom duty was done). According to the dealer, the person has been using the car in the core north (where all this uniform people don't trouble them) so didn't see need to renew the vehicle papers. What do you think ?

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:04am On Oct 29, 2023
Obidikejr:

Hello boss.

1. The steering isnt smooth enough. Has a stiff turn. I won't enjoy driving it this way atall. I'm used to light steering and easy turning of the wheel.

confirm the custom duty is original

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Obidikejr(m): 11:25am On Oct 29, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

How would I do this pls

Thank you
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by temi4fash(m): 8:27am On Oct 30, 2023
Dozieson:

which car?

Honda City
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by temi4fash(m): 8:30am On Oct 30, 2023
kingreign:

It's normal with MAN Diesel truck.

Man Diesel Truck

Its an Honda City 2007
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by temi4fash(m): 8:43am On Oct 30, 2023
jceesquare:

Run a compression test (wet and dry) to know if it's the rings of valve stem seals.
Or in the absence of a compression tester, hold a steady RPM at 2,500 to see if it smokes or not.

OK.. What if smokes?

My mechanic is saying we should change the oil to thicker one. 20W-50
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kingreign(m): 8:50am On Oct 30, 2023
temi4fash:

Man Diesel Truck

Its an Honda City 2007

Ah, you didn't specify earlier on na.

Anyways, check for leaks around the engine, or in-between the engine and transmission, if none is found, ask someone to drive hard while you follow behind your car.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Hustlersdiary: 9:03am On Oct 30, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Good morning sir, I'd like to know if you still sell usa Mobil 1 engine oil.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by temi4fash(m): 9:05am On Oct 30, 2023
kingreign:

Ah, you didn't specify earlier on na.

Anyways, check for leaks around the engine, or in-between the engine and transmission, if none is found, ask someone to drive hard while you follow behind your car.

There are no leaks around the engine. AM i observing if its smoking?

but I notice alot of carbon at the exhaust area after a long trip.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kingreign(m): 9:30am On Oct 30, 2023
temi4fash:

There are no leaks around the engine. AM i observing if its smoking?

but I notice alot of carbon at the exhaust area after a long trip.

Check for smoking even if it's the slightest. Blueish smoke
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:41am On Oct 30, 2023
Hustlersdiary:

Good morning sir, I'd like to know if you still sell usa Mobil 1 engine oil.

Always available.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by chuuxxy: 10:53am On Oct 30, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Always available.

hello Boss...
my corolla 10 makes a sounds during cold start. mech said it was the camshaft. it was replaced and sound stopped. now my car threw up a P0014 code. asides the check engine light, everything works fine. Please how can I get rid of it, as that light irritates me.

Also... I have used the car for 4yrs now and I use Mobil1 5w20 every 5k miles. but noticed when the top was opened that the engine area had brown residues like the way a mineral engine will look. I was really shocked. Do u advice I use an engine flush during my next service and I will like to buy my mobil1 from you..... weda dem de give me fake. I don't know
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 1:15pm On Oct 30, 2023
temi4fash:

OK.. What if smokes?

My mechanic is saying we should change the oil to thicker one. 20W-50

If it smokes then it's time to rebuild or replace engine.
@ bolded. If you've been using the factory recommended oil weight, you might want to gradually switch to a thicker/higher rating. Doing so will give you some milage out of that engine, reduce the oil burn problem and top ups intervals before you rebuild or replace the engine.
I won't recommend an immediate switch to 20W-50. You might want to try 5W-40, 10W-30 etc before going the 20W-50 route. If it smokes even with 20W-50 oil, then I'm afraid you'll have to save up for rebuild (which I prefer if properly done) or outright replacement.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by temi4fash(m): 2:48pm On Oct 30, 2023
jceesquare:

@ bolded. If you've been using the factory recommended oil weight, you might want to gradually switch to a thicker/higher rating. Doing so will give you some milage out of that engine, reduce the oil burn problem and top ups intervals before you rebuild or replace the engine.
I won't recommend an immediate switch to 20W-50. You might want to try 5W-40, 10W-30 etc before going the 20W-50 route. If it smokes even with 20W-50 oil, then I'm afraid you'll have to save up for rebuild (which I prefer if properly done) or outright replacement.

I have been using the recommended Oil weight of 5W - 30, Tried the 5W-40 same thing.

He then recommended the thicker oil pending when i have enough to replace the engine entirely.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:47pm On Oct 30, 2023
chuuxxy:

hello Boss...
my corolla 10 makes a sounds during cold start. mech said it was the camshaft. it was replaced and sound stopped. now my car threw up a P0014 code. asides the check engine light, everything works fine. Please how can I get rid of it, as that light irritates me.

Also... I have used the car for 4yrs now and I use Mobil1 5w20 every 5k miles. but noticed when the top was opened that the engine area had brown residues like the way a mineral engine will look. I was really shocked. Do u advice I use an engine flush during my next service and I will like to buy my mobil1 from you..... weda dem de give me fake. I don't know

Mechanic has solved1 problem and created another.

DM 08033910382
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Mizik(m): 4:53pm On Oct 30, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Mechanic has solved1 problem and created another.

DM 08033910382
nawa ooo
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Kokomo: 4:54pm On Oct 30, 2023
jceesquare:

Can you rebuild or know someone that can? Also how about the cost implication , 2004 accord engine cost 250k at Ladipo , installation witin a day. how does this compares against a rebuild? CC nuey , deportivo and trygo
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 4:59pm On Oct 30, 2023
Kokomo:
Can you rebuild or know someone that can? Also how about the cost implication , 2004 accord engine cost 250k at Ladipo , installation witin a day. how does this compares against a rebuild? CC nuey , deportivo and trygo
Yes I rebuild.
There is no fixed price for rebuilding engine. It might be cheaper or more expensive than the cost price of a used replacement engine depending on the level of damage and quality of parts that would be used for the rebuild.
But if properly done, a rebuilt engine would outlive a used replacement option.
The advantage you have for outright replacement is the waiting time which would be 2-3 days max.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 5:01pm On Oct 30, 2023
temi4fash:

I have been using the recommended Oil weight of 5W - 30, Tried the 5W-40 same thing.

He then recommended the thicker oil pending when i have enough to replace the engine entirely.

Fair enough
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Kokomo: 12:40pm On Oct 31, 2023
jceesquare:

Yes I rebuild.
There is no fixed price for rebuilding engine. It might be cheaper or more expensive than the cost price of a used replacement engine depending on the level of damage and quality of parts that would be used for the rebuild.
But if properly done, a rebuilt engine would outlive a used replacement option.
The advantage you have for outright replacement is the waiting time which would be 2-3 days max.

Ok please can I have your number? If the k24 engine I want to rebuild is not more than half the price of the complete engine, then it is a win for me. If in Lagos I can come for an estimate. Engine burn oil, leaks and the guys man is suffering from old age (compression issues).
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jceesquare(m): 1:33pm On Oct 31, 2023
Kokomo:

Ok please can I have your number? If the k24 engine I want to rebuild is not more than half the price of the complete engine, then it is a win for me. If in Lagos I can come for an estimate. Engine burn oil, leaks and the guys man is suffering from old age (compression issues).

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by PanTALA6: 2:06pm On Nov 02, 2023
I understand your question, you can use the airport transfer https://atobtransfer.com/ it is very convenient and favourable
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by TRYGO(m): 7:47pm On Nov 03, 2023
Kokomo:
I rebuild engines,, with a year warranty.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by McStaves: 3:59pm On Nov 05, 2023
People of God Abeg Make una help me o
My car developed one fault and i wanted to check if anyone has experienced and has an idea what it could be
Honda accord 2010

Na AC compressor i go do
After the man fix am, i go carry the car
I noticed on my way it wasn’t moving well and the gear wasn’t selecting well
(Note: i had not driven it much)
And was really entering reverse and drive with force like “ gbim”(a loud thud)
So i parked to check the gear oil because i know when they remove radiator some of the oil will leak
Lon and behold the dip stick didn’t have oil on it,
I sha bought a dextron 3 oil to top it up and drove home but it didn’t stop change much
The car was revving high and no selection or change in gear
But i didn’t speed
Was just going home jejely

Next morning i took it to gear guy and he settled down and opened it and said gear is gone and that fiber is burnt but i didn’t smell anything burnt
All i could smell was hot gear oil normally
He said he will try his best that it should work. He sha bought abro cleaner, he loosened some of the solenoid on the gear and cleaned it and fixed them
And Coupled everything
Lo and behold
We took it for a test drive and it worked ok

The issue came back again on my way home when i parked to get something
I wanted to reverse and it engaged but loudly and drive same thing and gear didn’t change
I called the guy, he now said i should disconnect battery head and connect it back after 5 minutes and check
Lo and behold it stopped and it drive smoothly and selected gears appropriately
But anytime i off car and i want to start it again and i don’t disconnect battery for few seconds and plug it back
The problem comes
But if i disconnect battery
It works fine until i of the car again..

I didn’t believe the burnt gear thing
When i called the gear guy back and told him i need to disconnect battery to always reset
He said i will buy gear and that it’s gone
But i don’t seem to buy this because i took it to someone else that does gear (mechanical) (first guy was gear electrician) the person said nothing burnt
And that if gear is truly burnt, and scattered as he said , why does it work when i disconnect battery and plug back?
That it’s probably something electrical
Although i go go scan am tomorrow sha
But has anyone experienced anything of such ??
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Manuella4ace: 7:14pm On Nov 05, 2023
McStaves:
My car developed one fault and i wanted to check if anyone has experienced and has an idea what it could be
Honda accord 2010

Na AC compressor i go do
So i parked to check the gear oil because i know when they remove radiator some of the oil will leak
I sha bought a [b]dextron 3 [/b]oil to top it up and drove home but it didn’t stop change much
But i didn’t speed

Next morning i took it to gear guy and he settled down and opened it and said gear is gone and that fiber is burnt but i didn’t smell anything burnt
He said he will try his best that it should work. He sha bought abro cleaner, he loosened some of the solenoid on the gear and cleaned it and fixed them
And Coupled everything
Lo and behold

I wanted to reverse and it engaged but loudly and drive same thing and gear didn’t change
I called the guy, he now said i should disconnect battery head and connect it back after 5 minutes and check
But anytime i off car and i want to start it again and i don’t disconnect battery for few seconds and plug it back
The problem comes

When i called the gear guy back and told him i need to disconnect battery to always reset
But i don’t seem to buy this because i took it to someone else that does gear (mechanical) (first guy was gear electrician) the person said nothing burnt
And that if gear is truly burnt, and scattered as he said , why does it work when i disconnect battery and plug back?

Dextron 3 for a 2010 honda?

Well get a trusted gear expert to fix it or save your self the stress and buy a toks transmission.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Angrigowt: 8:27pm On Nov 05, 2023
Automanual
McStaves:
Honda accord 2010

Na AC compressor i go do
I sha bought a dextron 3 oil to top it up and drove home but it didn’t stop change much
But i didn’t speed

And Coupled everything
Lo and behold

The problem comes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by vivalavida(m): 8:53pm On Nov 05, 2023
Angrigowt:
Automanual

So na everybody wey get honda issue be automanual? When did automanual by 2010 honda accord?

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by KillIgbohoN0W: 9:27pm On Nov 05, 2023
What Pilot years to avoid and why?
Anyone?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dru23(m): 3:22pm On Nov 07, 2023
Angrigowt:
Help. I did not charge my oil since August.noticed it was shorting oil,so I topped with 5w30,5w40,20w50.then I finally serviced the engine with new oil yesterday. Used engine flush and drained the old oil which was charcoal black. Poured the new oil and new filter 5w40. Now it smokes gradually at idle. All spark plugs are good and not wet. What's the solution. Engine compression still strong.should I add resurrs additive

https://www.nairaland.com/7903453/announcement

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by philharis: 4:33am On Nov 10, 2023
I have a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro, suddenly. it came up with a dash message '' engine power is reduced'' and since then it can no longer accelerate. does anyone know anyone know who can fix? Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) ... (510) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.