Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,998 members, 7,817,949 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (508) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (914635 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (505) (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Baso2019: 2:41pm On Apr 25
My car does not move when I put it on Drive, Reverse or other gears. It will just be static while I rev it.
Sometimes it will pick but disengages immediately. What could be wrong.
Toyota Camry 2000, Auto, 4 plugs
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by cardoctor(m): 2:47pm On Apr 25
olaboyeh:
Please help me here..
car is matrix 07

i experience overheating in very traffic on very hot days..
after a while.. my mechanic said The fan isn't spinning as it should so he flushed radiator and changed fan... however the overheating continued on very hot days and traffic but temperature goes to normal once i put off AC...

now i observed later that i started losing coolant.. so he pressured check and we saw radiator has started leaking now... so he suggested we replaced the radiator and change gasket that the gasket may be the reason why the overheating persisted after we fixed the fan back then ...

now my question is hope changing this gasket won't affect engine performance because right now the car drives really fine and responds well...
and I'm shocked he's saying we change gasket... especially when i don't have white smoke in exhaust or oil mixed with water or anything... even performance is fine...

just the overheating in intense traffic or when parked in the sun for long with AC ..

please help me please

You sound like you are a more experienced mechanic than your "mechanic". The issue has been resolved despite the uneconomical and route that also lacked dexterity. Do not attempt to have the head gasket replaced because of his assumptions. It will only lead to an unnecessary amount of headaches.

Get a more experienced mechanic to look at that issue properly.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by cardoctor(m): 2:53pm On Apr 25
lawmanlala:
I used lexus denso iridium plugs in my 07 accord, the engine is still not running fine. Could the problem be the plugs or any matching plugs can work in any car?

Is this car a V6 or 4 cylinder?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by cardoctor(m): 4:23pm On Apr 25
Dahniyel:

Hello boss, I got this code on My Honda Accord 2009. I also observed the fuel consumption is a bit high, aside that the engine runs sommthly. What could be the solution please? P0011 - “Camshaft Position A - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)”

I can only advice you to call me on this.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Port443: 4:53pm On Apr 25
Please who knows how much original unadulterated toyota WS transmission fluid costs? I need it urgently
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by lyort: 6:08pm On Apr 26
Port443:
Please who knows how much original unadulterated toyota WS transmission fluid costs? I need it urgently

i bought last year december for 50k, apparently i was told there are 4 different types of WS with prices ranging fronm 16k to 50k
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Tiztonio(m): 1:08am On Apr 28
I have this toyota camry 2011 with venza engine 4 plug. Im having issues with the adjuster. My engine produces this particular rattling sound especially when I engage the car on drive/reverse and gets worse when I turn on the Ac. I was advised to change the adjuster(pulleys) which I did. Unfortunately, it changed nothing. I still hear the sounds. Any advise??
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by samsard(m): 4:47am On Apr 28
Tiztonio:
I have this toyota camry 2011 with venza engine 4 plug. Im having issues with the adjuster. My engine produces this particular rattling sound especially when I engage the car on drive/reverse and gets worse when I turn on the Ac. I was advised to change the adjuster(pulleys) which I did. Unfortunately, it changed nothing. I still hear the sounds. Any advise??
Maybe your idle RPM is too low?

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 9:06am On Apr 28
THE STORY OF BETTY
Betty is my 2005 Honda Accord 4cyl.
I got her Nigerian used last year. When I got her, she was like a malnourished and physically abused woman.
-Her engine was smoking heavily and the old user deceived me by using very thick oil in addition to that evil thing called "stop smoking".
-There were crazy electrical abuse. like the engine could start no matter where the gear stick is.
-The transmission was misbehaving mostly in cold mornings.
-Of course, the cat was way gone, but then some evil human decided to cut the wires of the 2 O2 sensors for reasons I still don't understand.
-Fuel economy was flushed down in the toilet.
-All steering buttons were not working, but somehow the horn was working.
-AC was working but not very powerful.
-SRS and Seatbelt light on the dashboard were on.
-Power steering was whining.
- The thermostat was AWOL and the radiator fan was permanently on.
- The moon roof was opening sluggishly and could only open halfway.
With all these problems, the question now is why did I keep this car?
1. The price was good
2. This car was still good, first body and all. Engine looked neat. Abs was working fine. AC was working, though not optimal. So I told myself that the worst that could happen is a new engine and trans.
3. I wanted the challenge cos I love solving car problems.
So, first thing I did was to change engine oil and filter with 5w30. Omo! My car became a smoke machine. I had to add the "stop smoking" to avoid the embarrassment while I thought of what to do.

I decided to try restoring the engine since it doesn't look bad from outside. When the engine was opened, the mechanic was amazed that the engine was completely in shape inside. The cylinder lining was perfect. Crank shaft, metals, pistons, all were in good shape. The top was also intact. The only thing that needed work was the rings. In two days, the engine was back together and running with 5w30 oil and no single smoke.
Then came the VTEC problem which was solved by replacing the filter screen in the VTEC solenoid.
Then came the VTC problem and that persky p0011 that dealt with me. After replacing VTC solenoid twice, the problem went away.
Then the transmission. After replacing the ATF twice without much improvement, I decided to rebuild it. Why would I throw something away without first trying to fix it? That is not me. Call me cheap, I don't care. After putting the tranny back in the car and filling with oil, first start, tranny no gree shift. Second start, car no gree enter drive. I was already sweating from my nyash. Infact, almost the whole day, tranny was severely acting up. But by some magic, after several tests, tranny started behaving. Now, 3mths later, tranny is still as smooth as butter. Victory!
Power steering pump was replaced with a tokunbo part and steering became smooth with absolutely no whine or vibration when turning.

About the electrical abuse, there was a strange wire running from the under dash fuse box all the way to the starter in the engine. I knew that wire was not put there by Honda, so I tore it out. As expected, car was no longer able to start. But I noticed the car will start occasionally after pressing the brake pedal randomly. So I looked at the brake pedal and noticed that the small plastic that presses on the brake switch was missing and a piece of paper was in place. It was pressing the switch enough to turn off the brake light but not enough to allow the car start. I removed the paper and constructed a good plastic in its place and care has started every single time since then.
- As for the cats, I had to change both O2 sensors. I didn't replace the cat. I simply bypassed it and removed the cat error code for good.
- So the steering wheel buttons. I told my electrician to bring out the steering flex reel and of course one of the two flex reel inside is completely cut. Someone diverted the horn signal through one of the intact cables. Once again, I decided to go the cheap route. I decided to solder the broken cables together. I didn't think this would work. My electrician told me I was wasting my time. But I gave him back the cable reel to install and 5mth later, all steering wheel buttons are still working.
- AC just needed gas and is still going 5mths later
-SRS and Seatbelt light was due to the driver's seatbelt buckle that was spoilt. Just changed it and all light went off.
Car is 100% functional now
FUEL CONSUMPTION:
I filled my tank up and recet my trip counter. When the fuel light came on, I had 382mils on the trip counter. Car continued till 410miles when I decided to go buy fuel (car didn't stop, meaning it still had fuel). I filled it up with 57litres (14.98gal). After calculations, I got 27mpg of pure city driving. That is veeery good for a rebuilt engine. Very few cars here can boast of this mileage.
So next I want to change the side mirrors to txs side mirrors with signal light and if money enter, I'll upgrade the wheels, upgrade the bumper to DC bumper, and give it a good paint job.

I'M PROUD OF BETTY. grin

I missed the story about the radiator and the moon roof. Will talk about it in an update.
Update: https://www.nairaland.com/1788778/maintenance-tips-cars/508#129713512

5 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by goodnewscliff(m): 9:30am On Apr 28
Macmilla:
THE STORY OF BETTY
I got her Nigerian used last year. When I got her, she was like a malnourished and physically abused woman.
-Her engine was smoking heavily and the old user deceived me by using very thick oil in addition to that evil thing called "stop smoking".
-There were crazy electrical abuse like the engine could start no matter where the gear stick is.
-Of course, the cat was way gone, but then some evil human decided to cut the wires of the 2 O2 sensors for reasons I still don't understand.
1. The price was good
2. This car was still good, first body and all. Engine looked neat. Abs was working fine. AC was working, though not optimal. So I told myself that the worst that could happen is a new engine and trans.
So, first thing I did was to change engine oil and filter with 5w30. Omo! My car became a smoke machine. I had to add the "stop smoking" to avoid the embarrassment while I thought of what to do.

I decided to try restoring the engine since it doesn't look bad from outside. When the engine was opened, the mechanic was amazed that the engine was completely in shape inside. The cylinder lining was perfect. Crank shaft, metals, pistons, all were in good shape. The top was also intact. The only thing that needed work was the rings. In two days, the engine was back together and running with 5w30 oil and no single smoke.
Then came the VTEC problem which was solved by replacing the filter screen in the VTEC solenoid.
Then came the VTC problem and that persky p0011 that dealt with me. After replacing VTC solenoid twice, the problem went away.
Then the transmission. After replacing the ATF twice without much improvement, I decided to rebuild it. Why would I throw something away without first trying to fix it? That is not me. Call me cheap, I don't care. After putting the tranny back in the car and filling with oil, first start, tranny no gree shift. Second start, car no gree enter drive. I was already sweating from my nyash. Infact, almost the whole day, tranny was severely acting up. But by some magic, after several tests, tranny started behaving. Now, 3mths later, tranny is still as smooth as butter. Victory!
Power steering pump was replaced with a tokunbo part and steering became smooth with absolutely no whine or vibration when turning.

About the electrical abuse, there was a strange wire running from the under dash fuse box all the way to the starter in the engine. I knew that wire was not put there by Honda, so I tore it out. As expected, car was no longer able to start. But I noticed the car will start occasionally after pressing the brake pedal randomly. So I looked at the brake pedal and noticed that the small plastic that presses on the brake switch was missing and a piece of paper was in place. It was pressing the switch enough to turn off the brake light but not enough to allow the car start. I removed the paper and constructed a good plastic in its place and care has started every single time since then.
- As for the cats, I had to change both O2 sensors. I didn't replace the cat. I simply bypassed it and removed the cat error code for good.
- So the steering wheel buttons. I told my electrician to bring out the steering flex reel and of course one of the two flex reel inside is completely cut. Someone diverted the horn signal through one of the intact cables. Once again, I decided to go the cheap route. I decided to solder the broken cables together. I didn't think this would work. My electrician told me I was wasting my time. But I gave him back the cable reel to install and 5mth later, all steering wheel buttons are still working.
-SRS and Seatbelt light was due to the driver's seatbelt buckle that was spoilt. Just changed it and all light went off.
So next I want to change the side mirrors to txs side mirrors with signal light and if money enter, I'll upgrade the wheels, upgrade the bumper to DC bumper, and give it a good paint job.

I'M PROUD OF BETTY. grin
mehnnn u know so much
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 10:01am On Apr 28
goodnewscliff:
mehnnn u know so much
I am a medical doctor, but I think I enjoy working on cars more than working on humans. And I can boast I know 7th gen Honda Accord more than most kazeems.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Grupo(m): 11:20am On Apr 28
Tiztonio:

Check that plastic roller. It's likely the culprit.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Femiii: 1:05pm On Apr 28
Macmilla:
THE STORY OF BETTY
-There were crazy electrical abuse like the engine could start no matter where the gear stick is.
1. The price was good

FUEL CONSUMPTION:
I filled my tank up and recet my trip counter. When the fuel light came on, I had 382mils on the trip counter. Car continued till 410miles when I decided to go buy fuel (car didn't stop, meaning it still had fuel). I filled it up with 57litres (14.98gal). After calculations, I got 27mpg of pure city driving. That is veeery good for a rebuilt engine. Very few cars here can boast of this mileage.

I'M PROUD OF BETTY. grin
my kind of person. grin
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Grupo(m): 1:22pm On Apr 28
Macmilla:
THE STORY OF BETTY
1. The price was good

FUEL CONSUMPTION:

I'M PROUD OF BETTY. grin

Impressive.

I'd like to start undertaking these types of projects soon.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by vivalavida(m): 1:32pm On Apr 28
Macmilla:
THE STORY OF BETTY
1. The price was good

FUEL CONSUMPTION:

I'M PROUD OF BETTY. grin

Who is ur AF sensor plug?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by goodnewscliff(m): 1:51pm On Apr 28
Macmilla:

I am a medical doctor, but I think I enjoy working on cars more than working on humans. And I can boast I know 7th gen Honda Accord more than most kazeems.
i wanna be like u bro cos am planning on getting a honda next year....
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 2:18pm On Apr 28
vivalavida:

Who is ur AF sensor plug?
You can't know who my A/F plug is. Heck, I don't even know who my A/F plug is. If you need one, just find one. I got my sensor ordered from Lagos by my kazeem friend.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by vivalavida(m): 6:14pm On Apr 28
Macmilla:

You can't know who my A/F plug is. Heck, I don't even know who my A/F plug is. If you need one, just find one. I got my sensor ordered from Lagos by my kazeem friend.

I asked because I have changed mine twice still that error code I get for it persists.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 7:16pm On Apr 28
vivalavida:

I asked because I have changed mine twice still that error code I get for it persists.
What is the code? There's definitely something you are doing wrong. Maybe the sensor is not even your problem.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by vivalavida(m): 8:26pm On Apr 28
Macmilla:

What is the code? There's definitely something you are doing wrong. Maybe the sensor is not even your problem.

P1157
Car is 08 acura tsx
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Tiztonio(m): 11:28pm On Apr 28
Grupo:

Check that plastic roller. It's likely the culprit.
Do you mean the harmonic balancer close to the crank shaft?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Grupo(m): 12:32am On Apr 29
Tiztonio:

Do you mean the harmonic balancer close to the crank shaft?

Nah.

See the circled part in the image attached.

Sorry I don't know the technical name. Mechanics here simply call it roller.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by 2shure: 8:32am On Apr 29
Adjuster
Grupo:

Nah.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Tiztonio(m): 12:08pm On Apr 29
Grupo:

Nah.

Oh yeah, my mechanic called it adjuster. I bought Oem of that part last week and the sound is still there
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ThePundit14(m): 2:11pm On Apr 29
This is awesome.

Pls let me ask. If you have P0420 code without Cat. If you change the 02 sensors. Does it help fuel economy?

Macmilla:
THE STORY OF BETTY
1. The price was good

FUEL CONSUMPTION:

I'M PROUD OF BETTY. grin
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 2:34pm On Apr 29
ThePundit14:
This is awesome.

Pls let me ask. If you have P0420 code without Cat. If you change the 02 sensors. Does it help fuel economy?

You are supposed to get p0420 if you don't have a cat.
P0420 is simply telling you that your cat converter is no longer doing it's work. In other words, your cat is gone, o nago.
The only work of downstream O2 sensor is to monitor the function of the cat. It doesn't improve fuel economy So for you to get p0420 means that your downstream O2 sensor is actually doing it's work.
Install a new cat if you want. Leave your sensors alone. But as for me, I never bothered. I only found a way to keep that p0420 away despite not having a cat.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ThePundit14(m): 4:11pm On Apr 29
Thanks for the response. So how did you get to keep P0420 away? So does this code affect fuel economy as this is the only code, I keep getting

Macmilla:

You are supposed to get p0420 if you don't have a cat.
P0420 is simply telling you that your cat converter is no longer doing it's work. In other words, your cat is gone, o nago.
The only work of downstream O2 sensor is to monitor the function of the cat. It doesn't improve fuel economy So for you to get p0420 means that your downstream O2 sensor is actually doing it's work.
Install a new cat if you want. Leave your sensors alone. But as for me, I never bothered. I only found a way to keep that p0420 away despite not having a cat.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Grupo(m): 4:32pm On Apr 29
ThePundit14:
Thanks for the response. So how did you get to keep P0420 away? So does this code affect fuel economy as this is the only code, I keep getting

Buy and install O2 spacer.

I doubt removing the code would improve your mpg.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dicksonadams(m): 7:29am On Apr 30
Macmilla:

wow I love your story so much, I wish I could see the photo of the lovely Betty, please if you see such deal again hala
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by codemaster2much: 7:36am On Apr 30
Macmilla:
THE STORY OF BETTY
1. The price was good

FUEL CONSUMPTION:

I'M PROUD OF BETTY. grin

you try oh, you mean you did all thesr despite not being a gazzuzz, never knew normal people could achieve this level of skills.

well done boss.

by the way how much did it cost ringing the engine. I once called one of the expert car repair guru here, the price they give me go make you first think about your life. please help me boss
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by 2shure: 9:06am On Apr 30
The only thing I never did with my project car was to take out the engine. Ubseeboyinbo made it easy for us.theybhave coupled the engine the sensors and wires have where ud connect them.na only valve spring and install shock absorbers,brake pads,alignment I can't do cos I see it as too tedious, numerous premium tools,patience.but the rest na dodo
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by hookupagent1: 11:40am On Apr 30
Please how long will it take me to learn manual driving, I'm looking for hire purchase shuttle vehicle to ride am I want to start learning it asap but don't know how long it will take me

(1) (2) (3) ... (505) (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.