Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,467 members, 7,819,709 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) - Sports (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) (480165 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 Full Time Table And Fixtures / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Leon2036(m): 11:22pm On Mar 23, 2015
i'm glad they are beginning to see the influence of akinjide in this team, that guy is the heart of this team as he has been from the u17 many wouldn't knw cos he does not push alot for self glory, some 1 like him is what the current u17 lacks that's why the conside alot, some one needs to sacrifice him self for the glory of a team like makelele did for Madrid...if u want to enjoy this pattern played by manu garba, and akinjide do just that

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:23am On Mar 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Flying Eagles received by NFF Mgt. and some NSC officials at the glass house[/size]

The Victorious Flying Eagles of Nigeria led by Coaches Manu Garba and Nduka Ugbade have been received by Management and Staff of the NFF,led by Gen-Sec Dr.Mohammed Sanusi, at the Glass House today. Also present were National Sports Commission officials and members of the Supporters’ club who made their presence felt with their usual banging of the drums and loud trumpets, singing popular songs of victory for the champions of Africa.

Receiving the team, Dr. Sanusi thanked God for the feat recorded by the Manu Garba led team while promising total support ahead of the FIFA U20 World cup billed for New Zealand in May.

The Gen. Sec also demanded improved display when the team face the rest of the world in New Zealand.

He further charged the team to remain disciplined and focused on the bigger task ahead.

In his response, Coach of the side, Manu Garba thanked the leadership of the NFF for the support it gave the team through the preparatory period to the tournament proper, while also eulogizing the team for all the achievements at the AYC which included winning the Fair Play award, and the fact that the players were well behaved through out the tournament.

The team will stay at the Chida Hotels, Utako and will be received tomorrow by the leadership of the National Sports Commission tomorrow.[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 12:04pm On Mar 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Gent Whizkid Moses Simon Arrives Super Eagles Camp[/size]

Gent Whizkid Moses Simon Arrives Super Eagles Camp
In - form Gent striker Moses Simon is the latest player to arrive the Super Eagles camp in Uyo ahead of the national team’s exhibition game against Uganda in two days time.

Therefore, the 19 - year - old will train with the squad for the first time on Tuesday evening at the Akwa Ibom International Stadium, venue of the clash against the Cranes.

A product of famous grassroots team, Golden Boot Soccer Academy, Simon has been handed his maiden call - up by the national team handlers after impressing in the Belgian Pro League.

If the teenager makes his senior debut against the East Africans, he would become the first player from the Flying Eagles class of 2013 to star for the Super Eagles.

Bear it in mind that Christian Pyagbara, Abdullahi Shehu and Emem Eduok, who turned out the Flying Eagles at the last Fifa Under 20s, have caps for the B team of Nigeria. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 4:01pm On Mar 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]U20 World Cup: Manu Unfazed By Brazil Prospect[/size]

Flying Eagles coach Manu Garba says he is unfazed with the prospect of facing Brazil at the 2015 FIFA U20 World Cup in New Zealand.

Nigeria will play in Group E of the U20 World Cup against heavyweights Brazil, Hungary and North Korea after emerging as winners at the just ended Africa Youth Championship in Senegal.

But despite the prospect of facing tough opponents in the group, Manu says he is unperturbed about who they face.

Hear him: “Every team that will be at the World Cup has equal opportunities of winning the World Cup, so let’s not start thinking one team is the favourite.

“I believe every team that have qualified to be good because they wouldn’t be there if they aren’t good.

“So whether we are playing Brazil or not doesn’t bother me at all. It’s the same thing and all the teams will go there and prove what they can do,” he said.

The Flying Eagles returned to the country from Senegal on Monday, where they won a record seventh Africa Youth Championship title, beating hosts Senegal 1-0 in the final, courtesy of a wonder striker from forward Bernard Bulbwa.

They are presently in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital.[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 4:11pm On Mar 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Solanke Trains With English Senior Team[/size]

Any hope of Nigeria luring Chelsea teen forward Dominic Solanke to switch allegiance to the Super Eagles of Nigeria has taken a big hit after he trained with the England senior national team.

England manager Roy Hodgson drafted the 17 year old into his squad ahead of games against Lithuania and Italy after injury left the England senior squad short of numbers.

The Three lions will take on Lithuania on Fridayin an Euro 2016 qualifiers before travelling to Turin to take on Italy in a friendly game but so far injuries has ruled out five players from the games since the squad was announced.

Solanke voted the best young player of the year in England by coaches of the various arms of English National team worked with the main group in Daniel Sturridge absence and was involved in ball works drills with other strikers.

Yet to make a Premier League debut for Chelsea the 17 year old is high rated at Stamford Bridge and has already made an appearance for the team in the UEFA champion’s league.

A prolific goal scorer at youth level for England where he won the golden boot at the 2014 European Under-16 championship, this season in England he has 31 goals for the Chelsea youth side in all competition.[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 4:25pm On Mar 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Bulbwa: How I Scored My Wonder Strike[/size]

Flying Eagles forward, Bernard Bulbwa, who scored the cracking goal in the final of the Africa Youth Championship against Senegal, has explained how he performed the trick, saying it was no fluke.

“I saw the run of my striker, Taiwo Awoniyi and the initial thought I had was to play a through pass to him,” he told sl10.ng. “But as the ball was approaching, I noticed it would be a bit difficult to play an accurate pass to him (Awoniyi), so I decided to control it.

“As I did that, I knew I had to hit the ball because I was within the goal area and that was it,” he said.

When asked if it was a fluke goal that was dented by a stroke of luck and fortune, the forward said it was no luck, but his intention to score.

“I knew what I was doing, so it was no luck because I scored a similar goal at the U17 championship in Morocco in 2013. I saw the ball coming and I knew I was in a dangerous position.

“I wanted to play a pass to Awoniyi initially, but the ball was a bit too high and may have been a wayward pass if I had gone with it.

“So I decided to do what I did, which was to control and hit, and I’m glad I did,” he stated.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 4:27pm On Mar 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Manu: Iheanacho Not Guaranteed A Spot[/size]

Flying Eagles coach Manu Garba has told sl10.ng that it will be a very difficult task for Manchester City midfielder Kelechi Iheanacho to break into the current squad ahead of the FIFA U20 World Cup in New Zealand.

Manu, who was present with his team at a reception organized in their honour by the Director General of the National Sports Commission, says since the start of the present U20, it has been difficult for Iheanacho to break into the team and says it will be more difficult before the World Cup.

“Kelechi Iheanacho is a player that we need and I have said this several times but he is not guaranteed of a shirt here. He has to work as hard as the other players and it be very difficult.

“When we started this team; during the qualifiers, it was difficult for him to break into the team and he was always coming from the bench.

“And this time it will be very difficult because we shall be preparing for the World Cup and he must have to fight to deserve a place here,” Manu told sl10.ng.

The 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup winning coach also adds that the likes of Isaac Success and Wilfred Ndidi will also have tough times breaking into the team.

“Not only Kelechi, even Isaac Success and Wilfred Ndidi. They shall all fight for places,” he added.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 4:54pm On Mar 24, 2015
[b]Overjoyed Flying Eagles ace forgets birthday

Flying Eagles defender Saheed Abdulganiyu has revealed he was so overcome with joy because of the team’s AYC triumph that he forgot it was his 19th birthday on Monday.

“I was overjoyed after we won the AYC on Sunday that I forgot it was my birthday the following day,” said the Ace Academy of Kaduna defender.

“This was the biggest birthday gift I could have hoped for and I thank the whole team for making this come true and that way making my special day a truly special one.

“It is my first international trophy and I cannot wait for the next one.”

Abdulganiyu featured for the absent Izu Omego in a 2-2 draw with Cote d’Ivoire in the group stage of the competition.

Dolphins striker Christian Pyagbara was the other Flying Eagles star who celebrated his birthday at the AYC.

He was also 19 on March 13 and thus celebrated it in fine style by scoring an equaliser against Cote d’Ivoire in Mbour the following day.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 4:56pm On Mar 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Flying Eagles submit World Cup squad April 1[/size]

[img]http://africanfootball.com/news/520557/AYC-title-a-personal-honour-says-Sanusi[/img]

Newly crowned African champions, Nigeria’s Flying Eagles, are expected to submit to FIFA a 35-man provisional squad for the U20 World Cup in New Zealand not later than April 1, officials disclosed.

According to the Flying Eagles secretary Ibrahim Aliyu Auwal, who on Monday attended a preparatory FIFA workshop in Dakar, Senegal, a deadline of April 1 has been set for all teams including the four African representatives to list a provisional squad for the U20 World Cup, which will kick off on May 30.

It is from this provisional list that teams will select their final 21-man squad for the World Cup.

It is expected that a core of the squad who won Nigeria a seventh African Youth Championship in Senegal on Sunday will make this provisional squad.

Most likely additions would include Isaac Success, Uche Agbo (Granada CF, Spain), Wilfred Ndidi (Genk, Belgium), Kelechi Iheanacho (Manchester City, England), Moses Simon (Gent, Belgium), Musa Yahaya (Tottenham Hotspur, England), Chidiebere Nwakali (Malaga, Spain) and Kingsley Madu (Trencin, Slovakia).
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by zoboizee: 5:30pm On Mar 24, 2015
I would implore coach Manu Garba to atleast give some untested overseas players a chance to prove their worth and if not good enough theycan be dropped like coach John Obuh did. Below will be my list for the provisional squad:
1.Joshua Enaholo
2.Dele Alampasu
3.Ojo Olorunleke
4.Musa Mohammed
5.Wilfred Ndidi
6.Aliyu Abubakar
7.Elohor Ekpolor
8.Mustapha Abdullahi
9.Kingsley Madu
10.Bello Zaharadeen
11.Izu Omego
12.Idowu Akinjide
13.Ifeanyi Ifeanyi
14.Mathew Ifeanyi
15.Alfa Abdullahi
16.Yahaya Musa
17.Nwobodo Obinna
18.Nwakali Chidiebere
19.Bulbwa Bernard
20.Simon Moses
21.Awoniyi Taiwo
22.Alhassan Ibrahim
23.Iheanacho Kelechi
24.Success Isaac
25. Solomon Theophilus
26. Ezeh Chidera
27. Balogun Boluwatife
28. Prince Aggreh
29. sadeeq Yusuf
30. Christain Pyagbara
31. Saheed Abdulganiyu
32. Wasiu Jimoh
33. Usman Saleh
34. Samuel Okon
35. Billy Auta

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 5:42pm On Mar 24, 2015
@zoboizee

Very good list, I was not impressed with pyagbara or saleh... If there are better options, i'd suggest that they are invited.

An extra keeper should be invited.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 5:46pm On Mar 24, 2015
Also Solomon theophilus was overrated by ANS. Don't think manu rated him that highly.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by LeeCodeman: 5:53pm On Mar 24, 2015
zoboizee:
I would implore coach Manu Garba to atleast give some untested overseas players a chance to prove their worth and if not good enough theycan be dropped like coach John Obuh did. Below will be my list for the provisional squad:

Love the list. I will remove Saleh and put Billy Auta. Whatever happened to that kid everyone called the Nigerian Carlos Tevez. @joseph, @tbaba1234, any idea?
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by zoboizee: 7:09pm On Mar 24, 2015
tbaba1234:
@zoboizee
Very good list, I was not impressed with pyagbara or saleh... If there are better options, i'd suggest that they are invited.

I think Pyagbara is good. if not would not have made the squad. hope u saw the goal he scored calmly against CIV with his left foot. That was class. I can bet Awoniyi will miss that on his left. He has a very poor left foot. If u doubt me, go and watch his past matches.
About the keeper {Olorunleke}. Only God knows what happened to him. A whole premier league goalkeeper. Guess he had a bad competition. But he his still good. Saleh and Jimoh also. I guess they were overwhelmed by the competition being their first.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by enomakos(m): 7:09pm On Mar 24, 2015
tbaba1234:
@zoboizee

i agreed with you,pyagbara,saleh,jimoh and ojo shall be dropped

i am sorry to say this alhassan ibrahim shall be drop too
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 8:06pm On Mar 24, 2015
zoboizee:

I think Pyagbara is good. if not would not have made the squad. hope u saw the goal he scored calmly against CIV with his pleft foot. That was class. I can bet Awoniyi will miss that on his left. He has a very poor left foot. If u doubt me, go and watch his past matches.
About the keeper {Olorunleke}. Only God knows what happened to him. A whole premier league goalkeeper. Guess he had a bad competition. But he his still good. Saleh and Jimoh also. I guess they were overwhelmed by the competition being their first.

Awoniyi Scored a curly effort in the super six against enyimba. Pygbara scored a goal but he did not do much else. I thought he was poor.

There should be 4 keepers at least in the 35 man list. Just for compettion.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 8:10pm On Mar 24, 2015
enomakos:
i agreed with you,pyagbara,saleh,jimoh and ojo shall be dropped

i am sorry to say this alhassan ibrahim shall be drop too

Alhassan was really good in the final... He deserves to be on the 35 man list.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 8:28pm On Mar 24, 2015

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:41am On Mar 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Flying Eagles stars dominate CAF U20 XI [/size]

Muhammed is joined in the defence by Souleymane Diarra (Mali), Mouhameth Sane, while Akinjide Idowu, Sidy Sarr (Senegal), Alassane Diallo (Mali), Ibrahima Wadji (Senegal) and Manchester City and Ghanian wonder kid, Yaw Yeboah, would marshal the midfield Taiwo Awoniyi.

Four members of the victorious Flying Eagles team have been shortlisted for the CAF Team of the Tournament of the just ended Senegal 2015, African U20 Championship.

In general tournament’s statistics released by CAF on Tuesday, the players are Taiwo Awoniyi, skipper Musa Muhammed, Akinjide Idowu and goalkeeper Joshua Enaholo. Muhammed is joined in the defence by Souleymane Diarra (Mali), Mouhameth Sane, while Akinjide Idowu, Sidy Sarr (Senegal), Alassane Diallo (Mali), Ibrahima Wadji (Senegal) and Manchester City and Ghanian wonder kid, Yaw Yeboah, would marshal the midfield.

Taiwo Awoniyi and Ghanian Clifford Aboagye are the strikers. On the bench, the team has the likes of Sory Ibrahim Traore (Mali), Joseph Aidoo (Ghana), Ifeanyi Matthew (Nigeria), Omego Prince (Nigeria), Tyroane Joe Sandows (South Africa), Silvere Ganvoula Mboussy (Congo), Malick Toure (Mali) and Prosper Kassim (Ghana).

Nigeria won the fair play trophy, just as Yaw Yeboah was adjudged Man of the Tournament. The best goal of the tournament was scored by Bernard Bulbwa (Nigeria) [against Senegal (final)], while Musa Muhammed with four goals picked the Highest Goal Scorer award.

A total number of 53 goals were scored in 16 matches, with an average of 3.3 per match while Nigeria’s Awoniyi, Bernard Bulbwa, Ifeanyi Matthew and Obinna Nwobodo won the Man of the match award on several occasions.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:45am On Mar 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]COMPLETE STATS FOR ORANGE AFRICAN U-20 CHAMPIONSHIP, SENEGAL 2015[/size]

The Confédération Africaine de Football (CAF) Yesterday released the complete general statistics for the just concluded Orange African U-20 Championship, Senegal 2015 Nigeria dominated the CAF Team Of The Tournament with Four players, followed closely by host Senegal with three players, while Ghana And Mali Provide two players each.

Nigeria’s Goalscoring Defender Musa Muhamed also made history as the Highest goal scorer of the tournament and not often do you get to see a defender win this award but the young lad was very clinical when it came to scoring penalties for his team.

The enterprising Ghanaian Midfielder Yaw Yeboah was deservedly named the The Orange Man Of The Tournament but it was the Nigerians dominating all the other awards, Nigeria’s Bernard Bulbwa’s wonder strike against Senegal in the final was adjudged the Best Goal of the tournament.

Nigeria also won the Fair play Trophy alongside the The Orange African U-20 Championship Trophy.

A total of 53 goals were scored in 16 matches with an average of 3.3 per match according to CAF.

CAF ORANGE AFRICAN U-20 CHAMPIONSHIP

GENERAL STATISTICS OF ORANGE AFRICAN U-20 CHAMPIONSHIP SENEGAL 2015

Winners: Nigeria

Fair play trophy: Nigeria

Orange Man of the tournament: Yaw Yeboah (Ghana)

Best goal of the tournament: Bernard Bulbwa (Nigeria) [against Senegal (final)]

Top scorer: Musa Muhamed (Nigeria) [4 goals]

CAF Team of the Tournament

Goalkeeper: Enaholo Joshua (Nigeria)

Defenders: Musa Muhammed (Nigeria), Souleymane Diarra (Mali), Mouhameth Sane (Senegal)

Midfielders: Sidy Sarr (Senegal), Alassane Diallo (Mali), Ibrahima Wadji (Senegal), Yaw Yeboah (Ghana), Idowu Elijah (Nigeria)

Forwards: Clifford Aboagye (Ghana), Taiwo Awoniyi (Nigeria)

Substitutes
Sory Ibrahim Traore (Mali), Joseph Aidoo (Ghana), Ifeanyi Matthew (Nigeria),
Omego Prince (Nigeria), Tyroane Joe Sandows (South Africa), Silvere Ganvoula Mboussy (Congo), Malick Toure (Mali), Prosper Kassim (Ghana)

Goals scored
53 goals were scored in 16 matches with an average of 3.3 per match

4 – Musa Mohammed (Nigeria)

3 – Awoniyi Taiwo Michael, Ibrahima Wadji, Sidi Sarr (Senegal), Silvere Ganvoula Mboussy (Congo), Tyroane Sandows (South Africa)

2 – Chris Bedia (Cote d’Ivoire), Dumisani Zuma (South Africa), Alassane Diallo, Hamidou Traore (Mali), Ifeanyi Matthew (Nigeria), Moussa Kone (Senegal), Yaw Yeboah (Ghana)

1 – Abraham Asiedu Attobrah, Clifford Aboagye, Benjamin Tetteh, Samuel Afful (Ghana); Malick Toure, Ichaka Diarra (Mali); Yakou Meite, Victorien Angban, Degbole Franck Niangbo (Cote d’Ivoire); Charles Zulu, Dave Daka (Zambia); Moise Nkounkou, Constantin Bakaki (Congo); Obinna Nwobodo, Bernard Bulbwa, Christian Pyagbara (Nigeria); El Hadji Malick Niang (Senegal); Motjeka Madisha (South Africa)

Own goal
Thamsanqa Tshiamo Masiya, Kabelo Seriba (South Africa)
Senegal 2015Senegal 2015

Man of the Match

No. Match Man of the Match Country

1 Senegal – Nigeria Taiwo Awoniyi Nigeria

2 Congo – Cote d’Ivoire Silvere Ganvoula Mboussy Congo

3 Ghana – South Africa Michel Otoo Ghana

4 Mali – Zambia Alassane Diallo Mali

5 Nigeria – Congo Taiwo Awoniyi Nigeria

6 Cote d’Ivoire – Congo Ibrahima Wandji Senegal

7 South Africa – Mali Hamidou Traore Mali

8 Zambia – Ghana Clifford Aboagye Ghana

9 Nigeria – Cote d’Ivoire Ifeanyi Matthew Nigeria

10 Senegal – Congo Mamadou Ndiaye Senegal

11 South Africa – Zambia Tyroane Joe Sandows South Africa

12 Ghana – Mali Diadie Samassekou Mali

13 Nigeria – Ghana Obinna Nwobodo Nigeria

14 Mali – Senegal Sidy Sarr Senegal

15 Ghana – Mali Yaw Yeboah Ghana

16 Nigeria – Senegal Bernard Bulbwa Nigeria

Final Ranking
1 – Nigeria
2 – Senegal
3 – Ghana
4 – Mali
5 – South Africa
6 – Cote d’Ivoire
7 – Congo
8 – Zambia[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:52am On Mar 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Elegbeleye: Flying Eagles, Best Collection of Players in 20 Years[/size]

The Director General of National Sports Commission (NSC), Hon Gbenga Elegbeleye, has showered encomium on the continent-conquering U-20 nationa teem, the Flying Eagles, describing them as the best assembled U-20 team in the last two decades.

Speaking when the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) presented the victorious Flying Eagles and the trophy won at the just concluded African Youth Championship in Senegal yesterday, the former member of the House of Representatives Committee on Sports, however, urged the Garba Manu-tutored team to remain focused and ensure the completion of the task of winning the FIFA U-20 World Youth Championship in New Zealand.

While describing the team as the best assemblage of players in Nigeria in the past 20 years, Hon Elegbeleye quipped that he was not surprise with the streak of achievements recorded by the team right from when they were assembled as national U-17 team that conquered both the continent and world at that level.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:59am On Mar 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Christian Chukwu tips Flying Eagles to excel at World Cup[/size]

Former Super Eagles handler, Christian Chukwu, has said that the Flying Eagles have every chance of winning the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand.

Manu Garba’s boys beat hosts Senegal 1-0, to lift their seventh African Youth Championship titled and will play Brazil, Hungary and Korea DPR at the World Youth Championship.

Chukwu stated that he was convinced by their displays in Senegal and that he has backed them to make the country proud later this year.

“With the quality of players that we have and their understanding, I don’t have any fears about any of our opponents,” he told Goal.

“I think we have a Flying Eagles that can emerge as the best team in the world.

“Going into the competition, I don’t want us to embark on late preparations. Our football authorities should ensure they are well equipped with top class friendly matches especially with Latin American and Arab teams.

“If these are done plus other necessary things, and putting into consideration the cohesion and technical ability of coach Manu Garba and Nduka Ugbade, we will be able to withstand any team that come our way.

“Something he tells me that other teams will be very scared of us,” he concluded.

Nigeria’s first match at the tournament, is against Brazil at the Stadium Taranaki, New Plymouth on June 1, 2015.
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:01am On Mar 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Gumel Heaps Plaudits on Flying Eagles, D’Tigers[/size]

President of the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC), Habu Gumel, has paid tributes to two national teams, the Flying Eagles of Nigeria for winning the African Youth Championship trophy for a record seventh time while also doffing his hat for the country’s men’s basketball team, D’Tigers for winning the inaugural 4-nation Challenge Series in South Africa.

Gumel who is also an executive committee member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), said that it was heart-warming to see Nigerian teams standing on the podium to the envy of many other African countries.

The NOC president who was overwhelmed with the sterling performances of the two teams urged other national teams to borrow a leaf from the all-conquering Flying Eagles and D’Tigers to ensure that Nigeria climbs back to the zenith of sports in Africa and the world.
“It is heart-warming that these gladdening performances are coming towards to the All Africa Games and the Rio 2016 Olympics. It is an indication of what to expect from Team Nigeria. Let the boys not relent and rest on their oars. There are more hurdles ahead but I know that with dedication, hard-work and their good coaches, victory shall be guaranteed,’’ Gumel said.

The Flying Eagles overcame all odds in the finals of the African Youth Championship to beat host Senegal to win the trophy with glittering performances from the players which has given so much hope that Nigerian football would regain its dominance in the continent and the world.

Also, D’Tigers clawed their way to victory in South Africa beating Mozambique72-59 in the final.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:04am On Mar 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]African teams set to light up the FIFA U-20 World Cup[/size]

Two of the powerhouses of world football, Brazil and Nigeria, will battle it out in New Plymouth on the opening weekend of the FIFA U-20 World Cup. This is one of the clashes of the tournament confirmed that has been confirmed after a draw in Senegal and a weekend of final preliminary matches to determine the African qualifiers.

Nigeria, who have qualified for the FIFA U-20 World Cup more often than any other African team, were crowned winners of the qualifying competition and automatically took the CAF 1 position in the draw, placing them in New Plymouth with Brazil, Hungary and Korea DPR.

The other three qualifying teams from Africa - Ghana, Senegal and Mali - were then redrawn as CAF 2, CAF 3 and CAF 4. As the official draw had already been held in Auckland on 10 February this redraw of the African qualifiers ensured there was no manipulation of games in the qualifying tournament ensuring fairness to all qualified teams.

As a result, Mali were drawn as CAF 2 and will play their matches in Dunedin and Hamilton against Mexico, Serbia and Uruguay. Ghana were drawn as CAF 3 and will play in Wellington against Argentina, Panama and Austria, while Senegal become CAF 4 and play in Hamilton against Qatar, Colombia and Portugal.

Local Organising Committee (LOC) Chief Executive Dave Beeche expressed his happiness at the final pieces of the jigsaw coming together. “We are thrilled by the quality of the countries that have qualified for the tournament. African countries have a proud track record in this competition and we expect one or two of them to be in contention deep into the knockout phase,” said Mr Beeche.

“With the African teams finalising our draw we can look forward to some blockbuster matches throughout the country including a mouth-watering opener in New Plymouth when Brazil plays Nigeria.”

The tournament kicks off on 30 May and you can buy tickets at www.fifa.com/nz2015. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:18am On Mar 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Nigeria: Government to Host Flying Eagles, Falcons, Others After Elections[/size]

PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan has promised a befitting reception for new African Under-20 football champions, Flying Eagles, as well as the national women football team, Super Falcons and Nigeria's youth athletes, who recently won the African Youth Athletics Championship in Ethiopia.

The Flying Eagles on Sunday defeated hosts, Senegal, by a lone goal to win their seventh African Youth Championship title.

Speaking during an interactive meeting with Nigerian youths in Lagos on Sunday, Jonathan described the Flying Eagles' victory as an example of what the country's youths could do when given the enabling environment, saying his government would continue to empower the youths in their businesses, sports and other areas of interest.

"A father must expect his children to be better than him. We must work hard and encourage the young people," he said. Jonathan promised that in the next four years, if given the mandate, he would continue to build on the gains of the last four years and improve the lot of young Nigerians.

He revealed that his administration has just sworn in one of the country's youngest ministers and will give the young people more of such appointments, adding that Nigeria must prepare for its future by investing in young people[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:24am On Mar 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]South American starlets to watch in NZ[/size]

Diego Maradona, Enzo Francescoli, Bebeto, Juan Riquelme, Ronaldinho, Diego Forlan, Kaka, Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero, Luis Suarez and James Rodriguez are among the innumerable South Americans to have illuminated the FIFA U-20 World Cup. A crop of their compatriots will have the chance to do the same in a few months’ time, when Argentina, Brazil, Colombia and Uruguay partake in the 20th edition of the tournament. FIFA.com highlights five of the stars of the South American qualifiers, which the Argentinians won earlier this February.

Angel Correa
Argentina
Correa arrived as the tournament’s most hyped player. The diminutive forward had helped San Lorenzo win the Copa Libertadores, spent six months out due to a heart tumour, recovered, and joined Spanish giants Atletico Madrid. Correa emphatically underscored his star billing, creating chances at will and netting a breathtaking winner in the title-deciding game against Uruguay. With seldom-seen upper-body strength, devilish trickery and direct dribbling, it was apparent why his admirers argue over whether he’s more like Carlos Tevez or Sergio Aguero. The latter became the fourth and last Argentinian to win the adidas Golden Ball at the FIFA U-20 World Cup, after Diego Maradona, Javier Saviola and Lionel Messi, and Correa will be out to become the fifth and lead the event’s record champions to their first trophy in eight years.

Giovanni Simeone
Argentina
Simeone was born in Spain, the son of bulldozing midfielder Diego, and spent a chunk of his childhood in Italy. However, it’s in Argentina, for Argentina, and as a predatory striker that Giovanni has polished into a precious pearl. He joined River Plate’s youth set-up in 2008, when his father was installed in their hot-seat, and if he played bit-part roles in their 2014 triumphs, he played an indispensable one in La Albiceleste’s first South American U-20 Championship conquest since 2003. A classic No9 boasting elusive movement and infallible finishing, Simeone formed an extrasensory understanding with Correa that enabled him to hit nine goals in as many games in Uruguay – all within the penalty area and five within the six-yard box.

Malcom
Brazil
This will be of great interest to the African Champions since they are in the same group. Coming fourth may have been significantly below A Seleção’s expectations, but the Corinthians mega-prospect was a bright spark in a dull campaign. Just 17, Malcom began it on the Brazil bench, but was given more playing time as the tournament progressed – and took full advantage of it with some swashbuckling runs. Malcom scored an eye-catching goal against Peru, shimmying the goalkeeper to the turf without even touching the ball before slotting it into the empty net. A first-team regular at the Paulista giants, the deep-lying forward has been linked with the likes of Barcelona, Chelsea and Juventus.

Andres Tello
Colombia
Tello was the pick of an exciting bunch of Colombians who surprisingly finished runners-up. Able to play at full-back, in central midfield or on the wing, the 18-year-old impressed with both his defensive and offensive qualities. Turin titans Juventus were seduced and swiftly took the free-kick specialist on loan, with a view to a permanent move, from Envigado, who have honed the talent of Fredy Guarin, Juan Quintero and James Rodriguez in recent years.

Rodrigo Amaral
Uruguay
Amaral may have been among the youngest players at the competition, but that didn’t stop him leaving as its top assister and ‘Revelation of the Tournament’ recipient. The 17-year-old’s marvellous vision and passing brought back memories of Uruguayan legend Enzo Francescoli, while his exhilarating arsenal of tricks – including his principal party piece, the 360 turn popularised by Maradona and Zinedine Zidane – wowed spectators. The attacking midfielder has already broken into the first team at Montevideo heavyweights Nacional and attracted attention from prestigious European clubs. [/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:40am On Mar 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Flying Eagles Yet To Be Paid Bonus For Senegal Defeat[/size]

Nigeria U20 team are yet to be paid their bonus for defeating the Senegal U20 side in the final of the recently concluded African Youth Championship, according to report available to SL10 reporter Ademetan Abayomi.

An official of the team had reported that all the bonuses owed the team was settled before the final match against the host nation.

The team ought to have been decamped, but there have been assurances from officials of the team that the bonus will be settled on Wednesday 25th March.

The Flying Eagles arrived Lagos on Monday, and flew immediately to Abuja to the appreciation and cheers of fans at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport.

The Nigerian U20’s defeated hosts Senegal 1-0 on Sundayin the final of the 2015 Africa Youth Championship courtesy of a Bernard Bulbwa thunderbolt.

They also have qualified to the 2015 FIFA U20 World Cup in New Zealand and have been placed in a group with Brazil, Hungary and Korea DPR.[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:53am On Mar 25, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Christian Chukwu tips Flying Eagles to excel at World Cup[/size]

Former Super Eagles handler, Christian Chukwu, has said that the Flying Eagles have every chance of winning the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand.

Manu Garba’s boys beat hosts Senegal 1-0, to lift their seventh African Youth Championship titled and will play Brazil, Hungary and Korea DPR at the World Youth Championship.

Chukwu stated that he was convinced by their displays in Senegal and that he has backed them to make the country proud later this year.

“With the quality of players that we have and their understanding, I don’t have any fears about any of our opponents,” he told Goal.

“I think we have a Flying Eagles that can emerge as the best team in the world.

“Going into the competition, I don’t want us to embark on late preparations. Our football authorities should ensure they are well equipped with top class friendly matches especially with Latin American and Arab teams.

“If these are done plus other necessary things, and putting into consideration the cohesion and technical ability of coach Manu Garba and Nduka Ugbade, we will be able to withstand any team that come our way.

“Something he tells me that other teams will be very scared of us,” he concluded.

Nigeria’s first match at the tournament, is against Brazil at the Stadium Taranaki, New Plymouth on June 1, 2015.
[/b]

I wonder why Coach Christian Chukwu pointed Arabian teams as a strong section of the world to play friendlies.

I prefer the U20 team playing European and Latin American sides. The European sides will be fielding players that are already playing professionally in top leagues.

For instance, the Spanish side have players with Champions league experience with top clubs like

Oliver Torres (FC Porto)
Juan Bernat (Bayern Munich)
Denis Suarez (Sevilla)
Gerard Deulofeu (Sevilla)
Jese Rodriguez (Real Madrid)
Paco Alcacer (Valencia)
Suso (AC Milan)

Facing sides like the Spanish team will improve our team and make us notice any major weakness they have before the competition.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:54am On Mar 25, 2015
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:03am On Mar 25, 2015
Bits of FC Porto's Oliver Torres European Under 19 performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P_AtvnQfMU

Genius right?
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 10:21am On Mar 25, 2015
[b]Elegbeleye: ''I Want to Win The FIFA Senior World Cup'', Garba Told Me 12 Years Ago

The director-general of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Gbenga Elegbeleye, has predicted the present Flying Eagles are poised to win Africa’s first World Cup in 2018 in Russia.

“These Flying Eagles are the best national team of Nigeria for the past 20 years and they are the team to win the 2018 World Cup in Russia for the first time for Africa,” declared Elegbeleye, when he hosted the team in Abuja on Tuesday.

“The coach of this team (Manu Garba) is a personal friend of mine and I remember 11, 12 years ago in my house in Akure, he told me we can win the World Cup but with a new team of youngsters.

He added: “Everywhere this team goes, they win. This team is the pride of the entire Nigeria. And so I expect this team to win the U20 World Cup and then the main World Cup.

“You will be the greatest team in the world. Go to New Zealand and rule the world.

“And I know with discipline you can do it.”

Coach Manu Garba promised that the best Flying Eagles will target a first-ever U20 World Cup triumph.

“The best team will be at the World Cup and with God on our side, we can bring back the U20 World Cup for Nigeria and Africa,” he said.

“We’re a disciplined team and that was why we won the Fair Play trophy and won all Man of the Match Awards in the five matches we played in Senegal.”

Elegbeleye was later presented with the AYC and the Fair Play trophies by coach Manu and skipper Musa Muhammed.

Meanwhile, the new African U20 champions are to be treated to a lavish reception by the country's President Goodluck Jonathan soon.

Director-general of the National Sports Commission, Gbenga Elegbeleye disclosed this when he received the coach Manu Garba-tutored side.

According to him, “It’s been my desire and that of our President to always produce the best sports men and women in all areas of our sporting life. In the past four years, Nigeria has fared well in almost all sporting activities within Africa and beyond.

“Mr. President through his special adviser on media has already assured the team that he will do everything possible to continue to support them just as he has always done to make sure that they go and win the world Cup in New Zealand.

“We at the NSC have the records and are only authorized to issues it at any time. This government remains the best so far judging from the number of laurels that has been won in just four years".

Earlier, Flying Eagles coach Manu Garba called for early camping for the team ahead of the World Cup in New Zealand. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 10:50am On Mar 25, 2015
TheGoodJoe:
Bits of FC Porto's Oliver Torres European Under 19 performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P_AtvnQfMU

Genius right?

Mehn...The dude is do.pe! Classy player! Slick like Iniesta + Silva.

On a second thought however, I think Mathew is as skilful. Give him that kind of field and you will see wonders from the guy. Forget Senegal, the pitches were terrible. Seen his range of passes on a good field? Mathew's got excellent vision and adds goal-scoring prowress to his own abilities. I won't put Torres' skills past those of Yahaya, Iheanacho, Bulbwa, Nwakali and Simon, even Ezeh, and not forgetting Mua'azam too. We've got some excellent youngsters in this clime, we just dont have the adequate programs and infrastructures to nurture them.

I'm still in awe of Bulbwa's goal. That's a freaking better goal than that scored by James Rodriguez at the World Cup in 2014. I'm still dripping at that goal.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (232) (Reply)

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.