Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,698 members, 7,823,961 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs (18467 Views)

Nigerian Agric Sector Attracts $8b Investment In 4 Years / How To Create Jobs For All Nairalanders - Fishery / Welcome Back To The Agric Section. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:18pm On Aug 12, 2014
let me share a feeding estimate given in a fishfarmers seminar in oyo state today by USAID, this estimate is for 1000 Fishes, FOR fishes weighing 1 Gram- u feed 3 or 4 Times - (60 Grams daily) , FOR 10 Grams fishes- u feed 3 or 4 times- (500 grams daily), FOR 100 Grams fishes - u feed 3 or 4 times -(4 Kilogram daily), FOR 500 Grams fishes -u feed 2 Times-(15 kilo daily), FOR 1 kilo fish- u feed 2 Times-(30 kilo daily) , FOR 1.5 kilo fish- u feed 2 Times- (45 kilo daily) NOTE- understand your fish feeding pattern, to make your take, this is a recommended guide (varies with stock)
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by Nobody: 3:07pm On Aug 13, 2014
Hello to all Professional and intending farmers in the House. May God Bless our husle. Pls does anybody know about growing onions here in Lagos? An Hausa man came to my compound, saw the space @ the backyard and said I should seriously think of using the space for planting onion as it is a gold mine. Does anyone have any idea about planting onions especially in Lagos. Our experts in the house over to you. I will also make some research and post anything I come across.
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:28pm On Aug 13, 2014
gist4real: Hello to all Professional and intending farmers in the House. May God Bless our husle. Pls does anybody know about growing onions here in Lagos? An Hausa man came to my compound, saw the space @ the backyard and said I should seriously think of using the space for planting onion as it is a gold mine. Does anyone have any idea about planting onions especially in Lagos. Our experts in the house over to you. I will also make some research and post anything I come across.
go to iyana iba axis, meet those mallam, try get technisem seed, your onions no need too much water, soil should have good drainage, good investment if it comes out well.
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:59pm On Aug 13, 2014
excelsiorfarm: go to iyana iba axis, meet those mallam, try get technisem seed, your onions no need too much water, soil should have good drainage, good investment if it comes out well.
@ gist4real, try look for agrictropic centres, they are d major dealers in technisem, d one called(seed) violet de galmi,matures in 130 - 140 days, stores well, can give u yield of 30 tonnes per hectare.
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by Bhurlagy(m): 4:09pm On Aug 13, 2014
Hello house,kudos to those providing answers to our questions.
I want to know how to control/avoid squirrel and the likes that cause damages to maize farm so as to avoid the kind of loss caused by them during the last planting season.
Also is it good to plant maize now or after the august break.
Going for my diary and biro while waiting for your kind response.
Together we will feed the nation.
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by Bhurlagy(m): 4:15pm On Aug 13, 2014
Hello house,kudos to those providing answers to our questions.
I want to know how to control/avoid squirrel and the likes that cause damages to maize farm so as to avoid the kind of loss caused by them during the last planting season.
I need the address of reputable stores where i can purchase good seeds,am based in Ijebu ode-Ogun state.
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by ayodejy05(m): 6:29pm On Aug 13, 2014
Bhurlagy: Hello house,kudos to those providing answers to our questions.
I need the address of reputable stores where i can purchase good seeds,am based in Ijebu ode-Ogun state.
The first thing is to regularly weed the farm. Try using scarecrow and rodenticide. Traps will work fine but could be slow. Get as many as possible. These tips are from experience. Other methods are still welcomed.

1 Like

Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by Nobody: 8:44pm On Aug 13, 2014
Bro plz what's ur bbm pin? Let's talk better.. Thanks..29E0D6F4

Pavore9: l have gathered some skills in cultivating strawberries, capsicum (bell pepper in 3 colour variety of yellow, green and red) and butternut squash. l choose these 3 because of their high return on investment, hope to get the farm running by next year.
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by Pavore9: 8:50pm On Aug 13, 2014
oneangle: Bro plz what's ur bbm pin? Let's talk better.. Thanks..29E0D6F4

l will prefer u do an email to: koboideas@gmail.com
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by Nobody: 9:06pm On Aug 13, 2014
Bhurlagy: Hello house,kudos to those providing answers to our questions.
. Am not a commercial maize farmer. But farmers in southwest plant the last set of maize around this time. Now is the time! Wait for the expert though!

1 Like

Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by Nobody: 9:11pm On Aug 13, 2014
excelsiorfarm: @ gist4real, try look for agrictropic centres, they are d major dealers in technisem, d one called(seed) violet de galmi,matures in 130 - 140 days, stores well, can give u yield of 30 tonnes per hectare.
. @excelsiorfarm. Sir thanks for your help. I have 2 questions. 1. Is it those mallams that plant vegetables around LASU or is it at Iyana Oba proper? 2. When do I plant is it anytime of the year or is there any specific planting season? Thanks!
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:03am On Aug 14, 2014
gist4real: . @excelsiorfarm. Sir thanks for your help. I have 2 questions. 1. Is it those mallams that plant vegetables around LASU or is it at Iyana Oba proper? 2. When do I plant is it anytime of the year or is there any specific planting season? Thanks!
those that plant d veg,ask them(though it has been a while i visited that area of recent), look for
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by lottss(f): 8:20pm On Aug 17, 2014
@excelsiorfarm,the water in my earthen pond is dark n stinking is it save for d fishes?
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by excelsiorfarm(m): 9:03pm On Aug 17, 2014
lottss: @excelsiorfarm,the water in my earthen pond is dark n stinking is it save for d fishes?
stinking water isnt good for fishes, signs that d pond is stagnant, d air pores is block, possibly due to overfeeding, pump out d water, clear beneath of pond, give your fishes, fresh air( clean water)
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by lottss(f): 7:34pm On Aug 18, 2014
excelsiorfarm: stinking water isnt good for fishes, signs that d pond is stagnant, d air pores is block, possibly due to overfeeding, pump out d water, clear beneath of pond, give your fishes, fresh air( clean water)
thank God there was a heavy downfall of rain in my end 2day.bt I could not clear beneath the of pond bt d water has improve tnks
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by excelsiorfarm(m): 10:13pm On Aug 18, 2014
lottss: thank God there was a heavy downfall of rain in my end 2day.bt I could not clear beneath the of pond bt d water has improve tnks
THANK GOD,PRAY FOR MORE,SECURE YOUR PONDS WITH NET,SO YOUR FISHES AINT WASH AWAY
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by Ela59: 2:23pm On Aug 19, 2014
I want to venture into palm oil biz from the east(Abia state precisely) to lag and envron, kindly needs more or fresh ideas.
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:06pm On Aug 21, 2014
Ela59: I want to venture into palm oil biz from the east(Abia state precisely) to lag and envron, kindly needs more or fresh ideas.
package in 2/5 litres and sell in stores, there is a young Nigeria doing that, even export it to UK
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by Ela59: 4:59pm On Aug 21, 2014
excelsiorfarm: package in 2/5 litres and sell in stores, there is a young Nigeria doing that, even export it to UK
More info. I'm staying in Lagos, though i did my Nysc in Abia-State and venture on small quantity just for my Sister's wedding, on getting to Ibadan, i got to know that the diffrent was enormous. Since then i have being clamouring to go to it in full.
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by lottss(f): 2:17pm On Aug 22, 2014
@excelsior,gdday I taught foreign feeds don't sink,I observe dat zieglar feed don't float
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by excelsiorfarm(m): 4:17pm On Aug 22, 2014
lottss: @excelsior,gdday I taught foreign feeds don't sink,I observe dat zieglar feed don't float
there are different categories of zieglar feed, silver, gold e.t.c,, it depends on d feed maker, though i never use that feed type before, it must have been written on it if it was a floating or sinking feed type u bought
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by excelsiorfarm(m): 4:30pm On Aug 22, 2014
Ela59: More info. I'm staying in Lagos, though i did my Nysc in Abia-State and venture on small quantity just for my Sister's wedding, on getting to Ibadan, i got to know that the diffrent was enormous. Since then i have being clamouring to go to it in full.
i know d biz is lucrative, u need to meet with sellers for period of plenty / scarcity. Advise is u need to do it without going to join association( some say it is deep, dont ask me that term), like d young entrepreneur that market his product after packaging, u might think yours along that line, probably get nafdac number & sell in stores or make arrangement with a genuine local seller and be his/her supplier. I dont do it. JESUS IS LORD
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by lottss(f): 7:29pm On Aug 22, 2014
excelsiorfarm: there are different categories of zieglar feed, silver, gold e.t.c,, it depends on d feed maker, though i never use that feed type before, it must have been written on it if it was a floating or sinking feed type u bought
it means de have floating n sinking?na wa we de learn every day.I will check wen next I go.pls which feed do u use?
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by excelsiorfarm(m): 9:06pm On Aug 22, 2014
lottss: it means de have floating n sinking?na wa we de learn every day.I will check wen next I go.pls which feed do u use?
possible, but i never use it, i use raanan, coppens mostly
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by Nobody: 7:41am On Aug 23, 2014
@excelsior pls is four hundred thousand naira investment enough to raise 1000 birds for eight weeks?, how much can I also use to setup deep litter poultry housing the type with 2 levels of block and wire gauze that can house 1000 birds
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by lanre316: 7:56am On Aug 23, 2014
tooltip: @excelsior pls is four hundred thousand naira investment enough to raise 1000 birds for eight weeks?, how much can I also use to setup deep litter poultry housing the type with 2 levels of block and wire gauze that can house 1000 birds

My own little advice.

I assume that this is your first venture into poultry business and that 400k is all you have to invest in this poultry business. If not, this may not apply to you.

Don't pour the whole 400k into the poultry business all at once. All business requires their learning curve and poultry business is not an exception. Make sure you start small and learn from your own "little mistakes"(the best way to learn actually) not just from theories or book knowledge. Make sure you have had PERSONAL PRACTICAL FIRST HAND experience about poultry before committing all your big resources to it. I am not scaring you away from this lucrative, but risky, business but I am trying to ensure that your resources are well invested for profits. I wish you success in all your endeavours.
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by Nobody: 10:15am On Aug 23, 2014
tooltip: @excelsior pls is four hundred thousand naira investment enough to raise 1000 birds for eight weeks?, how much can I also use to setup deep litter poultry housing the type with 2 levels of block and wire gauze that can house 1000 birds
To raise ur birds to 8wks without headache, budget 120K per 200birds.

As for a deep ltr housing 4 1000birds, it would cost u btw 400K to 500K. Although location matters.
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by asadike(f): 10:56am On Aug 23, 2014
nnam d poultry farmer
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:22pm On Aug 23, 2014
i have read many advise to this your question, let me try to filter it,i if u use 120k for 200, u are already at a great lost, if 8 weeks, possibly u are thinking of broilers, Doc is btw 150 - 170 naira each in ibadan, u should be doing your feasibility on market first, poultry is both risky & a money maker, highly time consuming. To save cost, what i did in lagos was to build my on the fence(joining d fence), i initially converted 2 rooms to raise about 420 birds, d place was ventilated, used dried sawdust(always make sure it doesn't get wet, replace when soak or fortnightly, dont let them feed on wet feed, those 2 play a major role to disease outbreak) you can start with a lesser quantity, to master d work (though poultry isn't a straight line skill i.e. D source of your birds will determine if what u did in a certain set of stock will remain d same, make friend with a vet, he can be handy when you think working pattern seems to differ due to stock purchase. Feed adequately & keep warm, vaccination & clean water is key. For your 400k, u determine how to go about it, but i always tell people u dont put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to poultry, wisdom counts, you can use 16 - 18k to cater for 100 birds & with experience, it can be less (aside cost of DOC) , cost of building differs on standard, i will post some pics
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by Nobody: 7:52pm On Aug 23, 2014
excelsiorfarm: i have read many advise to this your question, let me try to filter it,i if u use 120k for 200, u are already at a great lost, if 8 weeks

you can use 16 - 18k to charter for 100 birds & with experience, it can be less (aside cost of DOC) , cost of building differs on standard, i will post some pics

16 - 18K for 100 birds to 8wks??

Sir, can you pls explain/expantiate or give a break down on how to go about this? Because with all due respect, I don't agree with that range of values.

Thanks
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:25pm On Aug 24, 2014
agonbello:

16 - 18K for 100 birds to 8wks??

Sir, can you pls explain/expantiate or give a break down on how to go about this? Because with all due respect, I don't agree with that range of values.

Thanks
it is good u dont agree, it makes others to see what u haven't known sir, the source of your DOC will determine d amount of feed that u will feed or purchase, the timing which is very crucial, plays a major role too( your lightening practice is also key), if u buy from poor source/ purchase a poor breed, u spend more & take longer time. If u by from obasanjo( though there are other sources too), a hundred bird will eat about 5 bags in 4 weeks, that you sell for 500 - 550 naira, 5weeks they would eaten 6.5 bags,which u can sell for 600 - 650 naira, if you are in ondo, let me send you to a young graduate that will put you through. Presently he has some that had eaten 13 bags in 7weeks( not from obasanjo farm) and hardly compare in size to what u get in five weeks from d former. Feed is vital 2600 per bag(depends on location), topfeed is 2800 per bag( best or one of d v best), zartech reaches their expected market size in 5 - 6 wks(depends on what kilogram their clients is asking for), if u can formulate feed, it becomes cheaper, NOTE- FEED FORMULATION HAS ITS PROS & CONS. Hence you dont need to raise birds for a long time, provided u know your market, expected weight from clients. Another yoruba woman raise her own for 5 - 6 weeks & sell in kano/kaduna to buyers in d market (she calls mean whenever she has a challenge with her birds). To enlighten you more sir, it is as your birds grow, they eat more, the longer u keep them, the probability that they give u little profit except pullets of layers that you can sell as POL at 16wks, which unit price range from 900 - 1200 naira each (depending on source), bro so pls educate us how you intend to spend 120 k for 200 birds in 8 weeks i.e. 21.4 bags(535.4 kg) of topfeed for 100 birds, it is envisage that broilers starter for 100 birds be 181kg from 0 - 6 wks & broilers finisher be extra 181kg for 100 birds from 6 - 9 wks = 14.48 bags in total & that cycle had been broken long time ago with improve breeds , Your parent breed/source count a great deal
Re: Now That We Have The Agric Sector,lets Create Jobs by Juliana7: 6:26pm On Aug 24, 2014
@ excelsiors, pls sir i would like u to educate us on poultry breed like ANAK, COBBS; ROBB etc their pros and cons, which to avoid and which to go for. Pls help us to address dis

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Are The Requirements For Cold Room Business / How To Get Cheap Farmland For Lease And Buying / NSCDC Intensifies Protection Of Farmers. Nigerians Seek More Funding For Agency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.