Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,078 members, 7,957,017 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:20 AM

The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" - Properties (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" (66030 Views)

The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" / The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats / The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 6:36pm On Jul 31, 2014
Fhemmmy:

No matter those holes, i am not sure it is a great idea oh, i will never allow my enemy to reside in such, it is too dangerous, anything could happen and besides, what happen if something happen and the generator caught fire?

The holes are for ventilation for the generator, the fumes will leave from the exhaust pipe and lead outside the compound completely. If the generator catches fire, there is an escape staircase at the side where the gateman can climb down from.
Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by Fhemmmy: 8:31pm On Jul 31, 2014
spyder880:

The holes are for ventilation for the generator, the fumes will leave from the exhaust pipe and lead outside the compound completely. If the generator catches fire, there is an escape staircase at the side where the gateman can climb down from.

Thanks for the explanation but ever though of all those scenario at night while the watchman is only being watched by baba God? I know the owner of the house decided on what he or she wants and you build...... Again, i am not saying it is bad oh, just different stroke sha . . . Let the teaching continue jare, by the way, where is my palmy oh with gala?
Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by Jamesqu(m): 1:36am On Aug 01, 2014
spyder880:

Welcome James, carbon monoxide poisoning happens where the fumes from the generating source has no way of assimilation into the open air in the environment, like in a confined space where the fumes cannot escape easily. This is more reason why we are creating enough holes on two sides of the house, top to bottom, this will aid more ventilation and air circulation, thereby avoiding the build up of smoke that might be poisonous.

Also consider the position of the gate house, right on top, there is no way the fumes could build up easily inside the gate house because the breeze in the environment will always spread it into the atmosphere.

If you notice, most of the cases of carbon monoxide poisoning we have experienced are from buildings on the ground floor, below the fence level where ventilation is poor.

I still think it is a bad idea...if it is possible to relocate the gatehouse, please do so...there's no way carbon monoxide will not get into the gatehouse. Once the generator is started, the gateman will close the window to dull the noise and heat (no matter how small), remember this is a gas we are talking about and it will still find its way into the space...you should ask people living on ground floors with generator close to them...it is the same thing as living directly ontop of a generator....please, exercise caution...a health hazard waiting to happen.

meanwhile, what brought this idea sef? Am sure its not cost, as the slab is expensive....maybe space. Like fhemmy said...why would a gman be living upstairs? Is it like a sentry or something.....

1 Like

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by Demainman1: 8:44am On Aug 01, 2014
I hope the owner of the house is also reading all these concerns. Noise and carbon monoxide poisoning will affect the gateman on top both in short and long term.
Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by vivienbabe(f): 10:00am On Aug 01, 2014
Methinks this is what the owner wanted. That being so has put our bros Spyder in a difficult position, arguing from a weak position. It is not so good in that people of all backgrounds,and from different parts of the world are reading and following. Safety is an on going issue in building construction in Nigeria and people are concerned in situations like this one. I hope the owner will review the situation.
Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by PeoplesArmy: 11:36am On Aug 01, 2014
vivienbabe: Methinks this is what the owner wanted. That being so has put our bros Spyder in a difficult position, arguing from a weak position. It is not so good in that people of all backgrounds,and from different parts of the world are reading and following. Safety is an on going issue in building construction in Nigeria and people are concerned in situations like this one. I hope the owner will review the situation.

I also have my concerns about this idea and feel the architect and builder should always draw the owners attention to inherent risks in a plan. I don't know how much carbon monoxide is needed to kill a man but I know for sure carbon monoxide will waft into the Gateman's room, like it or not. Fire is also a possibility in addition to overheated concrete slab and overheated room almost all the time. Won't this degrade the structure? Just asking as i dont know. Besides this gen is likely to be on most of the time going by power supply situation.

I have made enquiries and have been told that with the modern generators, you don't even need to keep it in an enclosed space. There has to be a safer way to manage the space in this compound.
Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 7:17pm On Aug 04, 2014
We are now ready for the roofing of this house.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 12:25pm On Aug 06, 2014
Some little bits of attention is needed at every stage in building. I am making sure the tie beams are securely fastened.

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 12:27pm On Aug 06, 2014
With the wall plates ready, the carpenters are going to get busy. .......

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 12:36pm On Aug 06, 2014
No standing on the dance floor, get busy guys cheesy

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 12:37pm On Aug 06, 2014
Work done so far at the tank stand

1 Like

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by Fhemmmy: 2:04pm On Aug 06, 2014
Beautiful
Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by peaceland(m): 10:15am On Aug 07, 2014
spyder880: Work done so far at the tank stand
Bros Spyder;
can you be generous enough as to give the 'structural composition' of this elegant water tank vis a vis the following
1- cost of the H beams & size of the H-beams
2- cost of the other accessories (the connector metals - layman language)
3- how many litres of water can this tank safely support & how many tanks
4- how deep are the foot mats
5- how deep should the foot mats be assuming a normal soil; not sandy/hard
6- what lessons learnt in building this tank or advice to people that wants same
7- why is the ladder towards the wall; wont it be an attraction to unwanted guests and wont it be too tight for a normal climber?
8- I assume the top flat mat is to accommodate 2 tanks; should 1 tank be empty; wont it affect/compromise the stability of the tower
9- what paint (name) would be used on it to prevent rusting
thank you sir
PS: i have modified this like 3 times; just curious and excited; (praying the price will be right!!)

1 Like

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 12:59pm On Aug 09, 2014
peaceland:
Bros Spyder;
can you be generous enough as to give the 'structural composition' of this elegant water tank vis a vis the following
1- cost of the H beams & size of the H-beams
2- cost of the other accessories (the connector metals - layman language)
3- how many litres of water can this tank safely support & how many tanks
4- how deep are the foot mats
5- how deep should the foot mats be assuming a normal soil; not sandy/hard
6- what lessons learnt in building this tank or advice to people that wants same
7- why is the ladder towards the wall; wont it be an attraction to unwanted guests and wont it be too tight for a normal climber?
8- I assume the top flat mat is to accommodate 2 tanks; should 1 tank be empty; wont it affect/compromise the stability of the tower
9- what paint (name) would be used on it to prevent rusting
thank you sir
PS: i have modified this like 3 times; just curious and excited; (praying the price will be right!!)

Replies later Sir. Thanks.
Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 1:02pm On Aug 09, 2014
Wood work for the roofing of this house is very much in progress. My boys are doing a wonderful job here.

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 1:05pm On Aug 09, 2014
The overall height of the King post? 6.0 meters.

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 1:09pm On Aug 09, 2014
We are already making arrangements for the stone coated roofing tiles for the house. Plus plastering, dressing, POP, other Internal and external finish works.

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 1:12pm On Aug 09, 2014
The tank stand once again.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by Onuokwu: 4:21pm On Aug 09, 2014
spyder880: The tank stand once again.

I like your project management skills. You are a multi tasking guy!

1 Like

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by mufutau55(m): 4:24pm On Aug 09, 2014
Onuokwu:
I like your project management skills. You are a multi tasking guy!

It's amazing how he keeps up with everything without getting lost or confused. My hat off to him.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by peaceland(m): 4:37pm On Aug 11, 2014
spyder880:

Replies later Sir. Thanks.
still expecting sir . thanks
Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 2:08pm On Aug 12, 2014
We are here now, doing this. ......

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 2:10pm On Aug 12, 2014
And this. .....

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 2:12pm On Aug 12, 2014
Even the ceiling noggins

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 2:14pm On Aug 12, 2014
Closer

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 2:22pm On Aug 12, 2014
The tank stand is also getting a lot of attention.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by mufutau55(m): 2:26pm On Aug 12, 2014
spyder880: The tank stand is also getting a lot of attention.

I love the finishing touch of that Water Tank Stand.. professionally done.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by koman: 7:24am On Aug 14, 2014
Oga spyder,
What kind of profile do you intend using for the windows, aluminum or PVC profile?
Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 3:47pm On Aug 14, 2014
koman: Oga spyder,
What kind of profile do you intend using for the windows, aluminum or PVC profile?

We are collecting quotations for Nigalex aluminium profiles.
Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by Fhemmmy: 3:57pm On Aug 14, 2014
Awesome job you are doing, my chairman at the top, you are just too much . . . .
Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by koman: 5:35am On Aug 15, 2014
We are collecting quotations for Nigalex aluminium profiles.

Ok, that's a good one.
I assume u have people in that department, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to try some new hands.
Re: The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" by spyder880(m): 5:00pm On Aug 15, 2014
The roofing wood works

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (21) (Reply)

only at peanut prices / Affordable 3 Bedroom Bungalow For Nairalanders (modern) Call 07035596641 / Cost Of Putting Tiles In My Apart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.