Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture (54) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here (483469 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by panamal: 9:58am On Dec 07, 2016
1stUnique:

number
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Ifeconwaba(m): 2:52pm On Dec 07, 2016
Please house, am a young graduate, and i want to venture into pig farming. I want to know how many months it will take to sell a new born pig 25k. because am doing some calculation here please i need your response. And enlighten on the weight aspect you guys Are talking about.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by joinnow: 10:42am On Dec 08, 2016
cool
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by SinaAkinsanya: 10:07pm On Dec 08, 2016
All well known breeds e.g. lw, LR are in Nigeria. Growth is stunted in Nigeria because we can't feed and manage pigs well. In the west, pigs are over 100 kg in 6 months. The Nigerian environment is very tough to operate in. People can't feed well let alone animals. A terrible cycle. If animals are not well fed, people can't be well fed because animals is a key source of protein.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by tayo52: 4:08am On Dec 10, 2016
Ifeconwaba:
Please house, am a young graduate, and i want to venture into pig farming. I want to know how many months it will take to sell a new born pig 25k. because am doing some calculation here please i need your response. And enlighten on the weight aspect you guys Are talking about.
it take 6 to 7month from birth to gain average of 60 to 100kg but it all about breed feed and management just try and get trained anything u don't understand then come here n post it
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by tayo52: 4:40am On Dec 10, 2016
omonnakoda:
Just discovered this thread. Wow!! great work.

Will need time to read all the comments.
I hope someone can answer a few questions.

What is the most common breed farmed in Nigeria in intensive settings and why?
Where do Nigerians source their stock from and how easy is it to import pig stock into the country.
It seems to me most people expect their pigs to be about 70-80 kg by the time they arrive at market but in Europe it could be double this. Is this an issue of breed or practice and why can't we farm these higher yield breeds

I hope my questions are not too many
we have so many hybrids n crossbreed,the most common ones are largewhite,we have landrace duroc n hermshire and we have this our native breeds as well,or crossbreed as well we also have gene converters n PIC they are the most improved breeds in naija,we have big companies that do import exotic breeds from different countries to naija,like Obj farm Casia farm and the rest, why we don't get much high FCR is becos we don't give them the right feeds n we like cutting corners alot,how many farmers can afford to feed his or her pigs soya and maize? Most farm always want to make atleast 25% or more on each pigs,unlike the white they settle down for 15% profit on each pigs,cos in pig farming feed n maintainance gup upto 85% of your total profits,reason y farmers don't farm this improve breeds are lack of awareness and it expensive,but at the long runz it save time and money,cos they have good FCR(feed convert ratio Is high)it easy but you ask yourself reason y you want to import with the high exchange rate,will I able to make my money back,do I want to venture into AI,is there farms that sells the kind of breeds I want to import to naija already,can I get other breeds that have same quality or characteristics of the breed I want to import in naija at cheaper price here in naija,do I want to be a breeder selling premium weaners,or a breeder selling fattening weaners,this are the questions u ask yourself

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by milkytins(m): 9:31am On Dec 10, 2016
Pls add me to the group: 08068998735
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by fiddzy(m): 10:45am On Dec 10, 2016
Thanks for the insightful information sir.My question is this it takes pig 114 days for its gestation how can one indicate a 1 month old pregnant sow,thanks in anticipation
tayo52:
we have so many hybrids n crossbreed,the most common ones are largewhite,we have landrace duroc n hermshire and we have this our native breeds as well,or crossbreed as well we also have gene converters n PIC they are the most improved breeds in naija,we have big companies that do import exotic breeds from different countries to naija,like Obj farm Casia farm and the rest, why we don't get much high FCR is becos we don't give them the right feeds n we like cutting corners alot,how many farmers can afford to feed his or her pigs soya and maize? Most farm always want to make atleast 25% or more on each pigs,unlike the white they settle down for 15% profit on each pigs,cos in pig farming feed n maintainance gup upto 85% of your total profits,reason y farmers don't farm this improve breeds are lack of awareness and it expensive,but at the long runz it save time and money,cos they have good FCR(feed convert ratio Is high)it easy but you ask yourself reason y you want to import with the high exchange rate,will I able to make my money back,do I want to venture into AI,is there farms that sells the kind of breeds I want to import to naija already,can I get other breeds that have same quality or characteristics of the breed I want to import in naija at cheaper price here in naija,do I want to be a breeder selling premium weaners,or a breeder selling fattening weaners,this are the questions u ask yourself
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by tayo52: 7:23am On Dec 11, 2016
fiddzy:
Thanks for the insightful information sir.My question is this it takes pig 114 days for its gestation how can one indicate a 1 month old pregnant sow,thanks in anticipation
u buy pregnancy kit,or beta still after mating your gilt or sow keep the record on the day the boar mount the sow,after 19days start checking If the sow or gilt will come on heat or not
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by bukkytroni: 4:45pm On Dec 11, 2016
kindly add me to the piggery group. God bless. 08061688723.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by shinabrown: 6:57pm On Dec 11, 2016
Please add me to this group. 08069080102. Am into piggery too.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by whitecloth: 7:43pm On Dec 11, 2016
Kindly add me too.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by okechukwu3: 6:35am On Dec 12, 2016
07036003710 add me please
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by fiddzy(m): 10:24am On Dec 12, 2016
Alright sir
tayo52:
u buy pregnancy kit,or beta still after mating your gilt or sow keep the record on the day the boar mount the sow,after 19days start checking If the sow or gilt will come on heat or not
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ejimikeokwu: 5:02pm On Dec 14, 2016
fiddzy:
Alright sir

please if the gilt is on heat again does it mean no pregnancy because since almost 2weeks now my guilt has been on heat after more than 2 months of mating.
am confused
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ejimikeokwu: 5:13pm On Dec 14, 2016
please house I need my number to be added to the watsup group 08039240549 I start ed my piggery farm last 3 months I seriously need to learn.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by fiddzy(m): 5:24pm On Dec 14, 2016
It is not pregnant
ejimikeokwu:

please if the gilt is on heat again does it mean no pregnancy because since almost 2weeks now my guilt has been on heat after more than 2 months of mating.
am confused

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by daxlasaint(m): 6:24pm On Dec 14, 2016
finally solved my water delivery issues... these water nipples are a lifesaver!

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 8:41pm On Dec 14, 2016
daxlasaint:

very nice. I have a similar set-up
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by fiddzy(m): 9:53pm On Dec 14, 2016
Sir pls i am finding it hard to decipher the picture content can u explain the idea behinde the water solving tips thanks in anticipation
daxlasaint:
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by daxlasaint(m): 11:40pm On Dec 15, 2016
fiddzy:
Sir pls i am finding it hard to decipher the picture content can u explain the idea behinde the water solving tips thanks in anticipation

due to financial constraints I hvnt been able to run proper plumbing for my pens, and I have had these drinking nipples for over a month so I just decided to get a drum and attach them to it.... all I hve to do is fill the drum from my well every few days and it functions as good as a standard over head tank. I will try to post better pictures shortly
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by daxlasaint(m): 12:19am On Dec 16, 2016
close up of how I installed my drinking tips

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Peekey: 3:17am On Dec 16, 2016
Pls, where did you get the drinking tips and how much do they go for? Highly needed pls. Thanks.
daxlasaint:
close up of how I installed my drinking tips
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by abeyyskyne(m): 4:45pm On Dec 16, 2016
Getting ready to farrow by God's grace. Exotic breeds are the best way to upgrade our farms. Let's go farmers!!!

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by fiddzy(m): 5:34pm On Dec 16, 2016
Wow innovative tips sir thank u
daxlasaint:

due to financial constraints I hvnt been able to run proper plumbing for my pens, and I have had these drinking nipples for over a month so I just decided to get a drum and attach them to it.... all I hve to do is fill the drum from my well every few days and it functions as good as a standard over head tank. I will try to post better pictures shortly

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ejimikeokwu: 6:33pm On Dec 16, 2016
fiddzy:
It is not pregnant
OK thanks I will serve it again
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ejimikeokwu: 6:40pm On Dec 16, 2016
please my OGAS for how many days do I have to deworm my pigs, like how many times at a go
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by daxlasaint(m): 7:18pm On Dec 16, 2016
Peekey:
Pls, where did you get the drinking tips and how much do they go for? Highly needed pls. Thanks.

I got them from a dealer in lag for 1k each... I will look for his num and post it on here by monday latest.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by tayo52: 7:28am On Dec 17, 2016
ejimikeokwu:
please my OGAS for how many days do I have to deworm my pigs, like how many times at a go

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Emmantayo: 12:49am On Dec 18, 2016
Good morning to you all. I just discovered this thread. great job you are doing here. I am new in piggery and l got few ones some weeks ago. I just discovered that the navel of one of my piglets protruded out though the pig not showing any sign of weakness or sickness. Also feeding well and growing but I'm just disturbed by that protrusion. I was told nothing is wrong with it and that I should just use spirit to clean it that it will go back to normal. please what should I do ?

i want you to also add me on the whatsapp group. My number is 08135980333. Thanks
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by rotadeco27: 8:33pm On Dec 19, 2016
Pls add me to the group. 08056839626. Thanks . Im around ogbomoso and want to start pig farming. I shall need help of u gurus in the house I setting up the farm. Ur supports will be highly appreciated.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by uyijob: 2:57am On Dec 20, 2016
Please add me to the group. I'm start my pig farm by January. 07034623865. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (122) (Reply)

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.