Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,615 members, 7,820,182 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (218) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678835 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by frank122: 3:17am On Sep 16, 2015
Hello vo Good morning.my wife file 1-130 for me by January and it has been approve by USCIS Since July and send to NVC.we have not hear or receive any notification from NVC.my wife is American citizen not a permanent resident.my question now why we have not hear from NVC.do I need to wait for visa number to be available?If yes how long do you think i can wait?What should we do next?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by christyox: 6:32am On Sep 16, 2015
Hello Visa Officer, I just came across this page and i see it very helpful. I just received an email from NVC on my filing by my sister(US citizen), to proceed with the 6 Steps. I really want to know which documents an applicant needs to submit after payment and also do i send the documents to them or to my sister since she is the agent selected. I have the photocopy of passport, Original police report and original birth certificate, please confirm if I need any other document showing where i work and proof of address. Again how long does it take from here before i get a visa appointment. Your urgent response would be appreciated. Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Felz(m): 10:52am On Sep 16, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Sounds like a question for our call center: +234 414 40 62 18 or email at support-nigeria@ustraveldocs.com .

Thanks for the advice, its been resolved, please how do I know when an appointment is available for a K1, there are no appointment currently.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by usrun: 11:44am On Sep 16, 2015
Hi. I need to understand the meaning of material misrepresentation. Several years ago, I went to the embassy for student's visa. Then forms were paper based. I was given some forms to fill and one of them was for family information. I didn't have contact details of some of my family members. One of them live in US and the other live in Nigeria and so I omitted them. However, in my subsequent ones, I included all because I had their contact details, please is that material misrepresentation. I was even expecting the visa officer at the interview to ask why some family names didn't appear in my first application, but he never asked. I always feel that probably that my later information have overwritten the old one.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by winnie123: 12:06pm On Sep 16, 2015
Because at the time of my birth, it was only birth hospital certificate that was obtainable.

Please will the attestation of bith be accepted?

VisaOfficer:

You never had a government-issued birth certificate? May I ask why not?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by veecee29: 2:56pm On Sep 16, 2015
Hi VO,
Thanks for your previous responses to my questions.I really appreciate.My petition at d USCIS got approved rather too early.From the look of things,i am likely to get an interview date by february.So my question is,if i get an interview date in February 2016,can i ask to be rescheduled in July or August 2016 since i am not ready to join my husband till December 2016 given that i have to complete my M.Sc and resign properly from work?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Felz(m): 4:34pm On Sep 16, 2015
Thanks for the advice, its been resolved, please how do I know when an appointment is available for a K1, there are no appointment currently.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by debbyAde: 5:51pm On Sep 16, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Don't worry about your petition expiring. The Consular officer has the authority to extend the petition's validity until such time as you manage to appear for an interview. It's okay if the appointment you set up comes after the expiration date of the petition.

Thank you ma'am, appreciate. I called the embassy today and I was told that my fiance ought to have received an instruction although I don't know if it's from Lagos embassy or NVC buy my fiance hasn't received any message from both sides. Could that be the reason I'm not able to get an appointment or generally there are no appointment available yet for k1. By the way, pls correct the Lagos us embassy you have its is not +234 414406218 the correct number is +234 14406218 I'm sure you mistakenly added one 4 cos it says the number doesn't exist, until that 4 was removed b4 I was able to get through. (you are welcome) cheesy . Waiting for you response ma
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Kay213: 10:05pm On Sep 16, 2015
Hi VO,

I want to know the next step and submitting the DS-160, It's been a week now that its submitted.
Can i pay the visa fee at this stage?

Thanks.

Olukayode
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by toyinaoke: 10:29pm On Sep 16, 2015
VisaOfficer:

No, someone else can go for you, but it's best to write a note stating that so-and-so is dropping off documents for your case, LGSXXXxxxxxx. If you received a drop-off letter or an e-mail you can print out, I'd give them a copy of that, too.

Visa Officer, good evening.

Do l tittle this as "Letter of Authorization"?
If I can get a sample, I'll appreciate.
My emaill address: toyinaoke@gmail.com
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:34pm On Sep 16, 2015
frank122:
Hello vo Good morning.my wife file 1-130 for me by January and it has been approve by USCIS Since July and send to NVC.we have not hear or receive any notification from NVC.my wife is American citizen not a permanent resident.my question now why we have not hear from NVC.do I need to wait for visa number to be available?If yes how long do you think i can wait?What should we do next?

For your visa category, there's no need to wait for a visa number to become available -- once the petition is approved and all necessary documents have been submitted, you'll join the queue to be scheduled for the next available interview. I'd imagine you'll hear from NVC soon. If not, feel free to reach out to them by following the instructions at http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/nvc/nvc-contact-information.html .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:37pm On Sep 16, 2015
christyox:
Hello Visa Officer, I just came across this page and i see it very helpful. I just received an email from NVC on my filing by my sister(US citizen), to proceed with the 6 Steps. I really want to know which documents an applicant needs to submit after payment and also do i send the documents to them or to my sister since she is the agent selected. I have the photocopy of passport, Original police report and original birth certificate, please confirm if I need any other document showing where i work and proof of address. Again how long does it take from here before i get a visa appointment. Your urgent response would be appreciated. Thank you

NVC will let you know what documents to submit and when. You should send them to your sister, who can forward them to NVC along with her own documents.

Is your case current? If so, once you've submitted the requested documents and your case is documentarily complete, you'll be scheduled for the next available interview date.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:39pm On Sep 16, 2015
Felz:

Since I no longer work in Lagos, I can't help you with this other than to advise you to keep checking the website to see when more appointments open up. You might also e-mail LagosIV@state.gov and ask them when more appointments will become available.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:42pm On Sep 16, 2015
usrun:
Hi. I need to understand the meaning of material misrepresentation. Several years ago, I went to the embassy for student's visa. Then forms were paper based. I was given some forms to fill and one of them was for family information. I didn't have contact details of some of my family members. One of them live in US and the other live in Nigeria and so I omitted them. However, in my subsequent ones, I included all because I had their contact details, please is that material misrepresentation. I was even expecting the visa officer at the interview to ask why some family names didn't appear in my first application, but he never asked. I always feel that probably that my later information have overwritten the old one.

From what you've written, I don't think you have anything to worry about. This isn't the type of misrepresentation we're on the lookout for. Also, it probably wasn't material to your case -- that is, you would have qualified or not qualified for the student visa whether you listed all your relatives correctly or not, so the omission wasn't material.

There may be details I'm not aware of that would make the situation more serious, but based solely on what you've written, the situation you describe is unlikely to be a problem for you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by iMcMuffin: 11:44pm On Sep 16, 2015
Hi VisaOfficer, I have a couple of questions but I was wondering if you have an email where I could ask them? I just dont want to spam this threat alot.

If not let me know, I wouldnt mind asking here. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:44pm On Sep 16, 2015
winnie123:
Because at the time of my birth, it was only birth hospital certificate that was obtainable.

Please will the attestation of bith be accepted?

I assume it will be accepted, but without looking at your case personally, I really can't say. My guess is that NVC will accept it. Let us know, and good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:46pm On Sep 16, 2015
debbyAde:

Thank you ma'am, appreciate. I called the embassy today and I was told that my fiance ought to have received an instruction although I don't know if it's from Lagos embassy or NVC buy my fiance hasn't received any message from both sides. Could that be the reason I'm not able to get an appointment or generally there are no appointment available yet for k1. By the way, pls correct the Lagos us embassy you have its is not +234 414406218 the correct number is +234 14406218 I'm sure you mistakenly added one 4 cos it says the number doesn't exist, until that 4 was removed b4 I was able to get through. (you are welcome) cheesy . Waiting for you response ma

Thank you! cheesy

I don't know if there are appointments available -- I no longer work in Lagos. I can tell you that when the Consulate receives the petition, they will contact the petitioner with instructions for making an appointment. You might try asking them if your petition has arrived yet.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:48pm On Sep 16, 2015
Kay213:
Hi VO,

I want to know the next step and submitting the DS-160, It's been a week now that its submitted.
Can i pay the visa fee at this stage?

Thanks.

Olukayode

How did you submit the DS-160 without paying the visa fee? Did the Consulate contact you or the petitioner and give you instructions for making a K1 appointment? If not, it sounds like you have jumped the gun.....
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:49pm On Sep 16, 2015
toyinaoke:

Visa Officer, good evening.

Do l tittle this as "Letter of Authorization"?
If I can get a sample, I'll appreciate.
My emaill address: toyinaoke@gmail.com
Thank you.

I don't want to give you bad advice, since I'm no longer in Lagos. Please contact the collection center directly and ask them what document they would require to allow someone to drop documents off for you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:51pm On Sep 16, 2015
iMcMuffin:
Hi VisaOfficer, I have a couple of questions but I was wondering if you have an email where I could ask them? I just dont want to spam this threat alot.

If not let me know, I wouldnt mind asking here. Thanks

I only answer questions in this public forum -- no private messages, please. But if your issue is very sensitive, feel free to e-mail the Consulate directly at LagosIV@state.gov. If your question has to do with a non-immigrant visa matter, the e-mail address is LagosNIV@state.gov or AbujaNIV@state.gov, depending which you prefer.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by toyinaoke: 11:58pm On Sep 16, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I don't want to give you bad advice, since I'm no longer in Lagos. Please contact the collection center directly and ask them what document they would require to allow someone to drop documents off for you.

I'm very grateful. Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Adamkeyj(m): 8:38am On Sep 17, 2015
pls VO will nigeria be eligible for this years DVlottery
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 9:09am On Sep 17, 2015
Adamkeyj:
pls VO will nigeria be eligible for this years DVlottery

VisaOfficer:

To repeat, it's extremely unlikely that Nigeria will again become eligible for the Diversity Visa program. Nigeria now sends more than 10,000 immigrants each year to the U.S., and that number continues to grow. It is, technically, possible, but it is not likely. I strongly encourage you not to base your hopes for the future on the Diversity Visa program.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Kay213: 9:24am On Sep 17, 2015
Hi VO,
A letter was sent to my fiancee and the letter reads " The National Visa centre receive your fiancé petition from USIC. The NVC will now forward the petition to US consulate in Lagos. Please note it will take several weeks. The US consulate will contact your fiancee when they are ready to process his visa.

This is where i jumped the gun ,
Next step: Go to our website nvc.state.gov/k1

Ma,To cut the long story short, What can i do now ? Any advise will be appreciated. I feel somehow right now…

VisaOfficer:

How did you submit the DS-160 without paying the visa fee? Did the Consulate contact you or the petitioner and give you instructions for making a K1 appointment? If not, it sounds like you have jumped the gun.....
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mendozab: 11:50am On Sep 17, 2015
Good day VO,

We were interviewed last April 22, 2015 (walk in window from April 15-28) under EB3 Philippines category. We were told that there is no VISA NUMBER available. Also they sent us an email right after the interview stating that they cannot process our application because of no visa number available. Also our passports were sent back to us after a month via mail. I am worried about our medical result that is expiring this October 20.

question.

1. why does consulate office announced a window from april 15-28 for those applicants whose documents are ready if they cannot give a visa.
2. if in case we were given a chance to get our visa do we need to leave for the US before our medical results expire?
3. if in case we need to repeat our medical examination what documents do we need to present to St. Lukes Medical Center?

thanks in advance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:47pm On Sep 17, 2015
Kay213:
Hi VO,
A letter was sent to my fiancee and the letter reads " The National Visa centre receive your fiancé petition from USIC. The NVC will now forward the petition to US consulate in Lagos. Please note it will take several weeks. The US consulate will contact your fiancee when they are ready to process his visa.

This is where i jumped the gun ,
Next step: Go to our website nvc.state.gov/k1

Ma,To cut the long story short, What can i do now ? Any advise will be appreciated. I feel somehow right now…

Well, you may have just complicated things dramatically in terms of making an appointment for yourself. You should have waited until the Consulate contacted you with instructions. At this point, your best course of action is to send an e-mail to support-nigeria@ustraveldocs.com
and LagosIV@state.gov (the same e-mail, addressed to both of them, so they can see that everyone's been informed) and let them know what happened. They'll let you know how to proceed.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by MarieEyre: 1:53pm On Sep 17, 2015
Yay!!!!!!!!!!! Just got out of the consulate. My fiance visa has been approved! cheesy Easy breezy. Can't wait to be with my baby grin. Thank you VO.

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:56pm On Sep 17, 2015
mendozab:
Good day VO,

We were interviewed last April 22, 2015 (walk in window from April 15-28) under EB3 Philippines category. We were told that there is no VISA NUMBER available. Also they sent us an email right after the interview stating that they cannot process our application because of no visa number available. Also our passports were sent back to us after a month via mail. I am worried about our medical result that is expiring this October 20.

question.

1. why does consulate office announced a window from april 15-28 for those applicants whose documents are ready if they cannot give a visa.
2. if in case we were given a chance to get our visa do we need to leave for the US before our medical results expire?
3. if in case we need to repeat our medical examination what documents do we need to present to St. Lukes Medical Center?

thanks in advance.

1. Unfortunately the cut-off date for this visa category underwent a retrogression -- which means that NVC scheduled interviews for several cases that were current, and by the time the applicants came to the Consulate for their interviews, the cut-off date had changed and the cases were no longer current. (We have no way of knowing in advance that someone whose case is no longer current is scheduled for an interview; the computer system doesn't notify us.) When this happens, frankly, our hope is that the cut-off date will correct itself the next month so that we can go ahead and process the visas; this has often happened in the past. So we go ahead and see the applicants rather than canceling their interviews. For your visa category, however, it appears that the retrogression was the correction, so many cases that were briefly current are now no longer current.

2. The validity of the visa is tied to the validity of your medical paperwork, so yes, you would very likely be asked to submit updated medical paperwork.

3. We only accept medical paperwork from our panel physicians, and to the best of my knowledge neither of Nigeria's panel physicians works at St. Lukes Medical Center.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Titilayodeji13(m): 2:21pm On Sep 17, 2015
MarieEyre:
Yay!!!!!!!!!!! Just got out of the consulate. My fiance visa has been approved! cheesy Easy breezy. Can't wait to be with my baby grin. Thank you VO.

Congratulations,

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.