Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (184) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (819148 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by fpeter(f): 8:51am On Jun 08, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello fpeter. There is no dress code. It's a good idea to dress nicely but comfortable, as there is a bit of walking and standing in line at the Embassy/Consulate.

thank you for your prompt response, as always.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:34pm On Jun 08, 2017
Hello deardevil. This matter is better addressed on the immigrant visa thread.

deardevil:
hello house
got married to my wife last month (may)and I plan on visiting her July .... pls I don't really know how to go about it and what I need to do . thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by seyewest(m): 2:07pm On Jun 08, 2017
Hello @AbujaNIV I noticed that I can't schedule a date for my sister in Abuja. I mean there's no available date everywhere is blank please what is happening meanwhile there are dates for Lagos.
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 5:58pm On Jun 08, 2017
Hello seyewest. Our wait times in Abuja are around 16 days now. Try looking for an appointment from that point out to 30 days from now.

seyewest:
Hello @AbujaNIV I noticed that I can't schedule a date for my sister in Abuja. I mean there's no available date everywhere is blank please what is happening meanwhile there are dates for Lagos.
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by CreativeWeb(m): 7:28pm On Jun 08, 2017
Hello Abujaniv, my wife and I have submitted ds160 application forms. I want to schedule the interview.

Is it possible to interview both of us together?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by seyewest(m): 8:49pm On Jun 08, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello seyewest. Our wait times in Abuja are around 16 days now. Try looking for an appointment from that point out to 30 days from now.

thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by yokus(f): 11:40pm On Jun 08, 2017
Thanks for your reply, but just incase these people didn't make a mistake and are sure that they were attended to by the same person, what options are available for them pls?
abujaniv:
Hello yokus. Visa officers take great pains to assure that they do not interview applicants more than once. Applicants sometimes get us confused and think they are seeing the same person, but be assured, we can see if we (or other officers) have interviewed a particular applicant. If that happens, we recuse ourselves and guide the applicant to a different window.

We don't look at or consider invitations at all, so that would not be a factor in the adjudication of a visa application.

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by olu101: 1:20am On Jun 09, 2017
Hello @AbujaNIV,

I trust you are well.

I only have my Surname and First name on my appointment confirmation sheet (that's what the system requested in the form) - Should i be worried about this?

However, i have my first name, middle name and surname in my passport as well as my DS 160 form and my GTB Receipt for visa fee.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 2:55am On Jun 09, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello, Nairaland! Our last thread was lost due to the Nairaland data loss, so we're re-starting the Non-Immigrant Visa discussion.

We are U.S. Foreign Service Officers working in Abuja and Lagos. We'll be happy to answer as many of your Non-Immigrant Visa questions as possible. Please note that we do not comment on specific cases, we do not offer advice, and we will not answer abusive or insulting posts.

While we will attempt to explain U.S. immigration policies and provide overall visa application guidance, any opinions expressed are the personal views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government.

There is a separate Immigrant and Diversity Visa thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792591/u.s-immigration-questions-ask-u.s., also handled by a U.S. Foreign Service Officers in Nigeria, so please use this thread only for questions about Non-Immigrant Visas.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Our best,
AbujaNIV

Hello,

I am a U.S Permanent Resident. I currently live in the U.S and not yet a U.S Citizen.

I have my wife in Nigeria who is two months pregnant that I want her to deliver my baby in the U.S. What type of visa does she need to apply for? What documents do I need to give her to apply for visa?

In all, how do we go about having her in the U.S to just have the baby and go back home.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by 4real2u: 6:37am On Jun 09, 2017
Hello abujaniv,

I have an uncle and wife who's got US visitor visa in the past they've used for 2-3trips to the US and without any issues with any US authorities. The visa expired last month and they wanted to renew but with one of the daughters instead of going the drop box route. Long story short they applied for an interview today and they all got denied. Now the question is

1. Can my uncle and wife who are initially suppose to go via drop box route reapply now via drop box considering the fact that they just got denied via interview?

2. Please advise on how else they can go about it if question one is not doable?

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 6:48am On Jun 09, 2017
Yes, it is. Follow the instructions on the ustraveldocs site.

CreativeWeb:
Hello Abujaniv, my wife and I have submitted ds160 application forms. I want to schedule the interview.

Is it possible to interview both of us together?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 6:49am On Jun 09, 2017
Good morning yokus. There is no appeal for the 214b ruling. They may apply again, and they will be interviewed by a different officer.

yokus:
Thanks for your reply, but just incase these people didn't make a mistake and are sure that they were attended to by the same person, what options are available for them pls?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 6:50am On Jun 09, 2017
Hello olu101. That can be fixed during the interview. The name in the visa must match the name in the passport.

olu101:
Hello @AbujaNIV,

I trust you are well.

I only have my Surname and First name on my appointment confirmation sheet (that's what the system requested in the form) - Should i be worried about this?

However, i have my first name, middle name and surname in my passport as well as my DS 160 form and my GTB Receipt for visa fee.

Thank you.

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 6:52am On Jun 09, 2017
Hello COWBOYFAN. In the situation you describe, the wife can apply for a tourist visa and her ties to Nigeria will be weighed against her ties to the US. With her spouse (you) being in the US, those latter ties are quite strong. You may also try the immigrant visa route, which does take more time.

COWBOYFAN:

Hello,

I am a U.S Permanent Resident. I currently live in the U.S and not yet a U.S Citizen.

I have my wife in Nigeria who is two months pregnant that I want her to deliver my baby in the U.S. What type of visa does she need to apply for? What documents do I need to give her to apply for visa?

In all, how do we go about having her in the U.S to just have the baby and go back home.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 6:54am On Jun 09, 2017
Hello 4real2u. Part of the qualifications for the interview waiver program (IWP or dropbox) is that the previous application must have been an approval. In the situation you describe, their last application ended in denial, so they are not eligible. They may apply again and will have to appear for an interview.

4real2u:
Hello abujaniv,

I have an uncle and wife who's got US visitor visa in the past they've used for 2-3trips to the US and without any issues with any US authorities. The visa expired last month and they wanted to renew but with one of the daughters instead of going the drop box route. Long story short they applied for an interview today and they all got denied. Now the question is

1. Can my uncle and wife who are initially suppose to go via drop box route reapply now via drop box considering the fact that they just got denied via interview?

2. Please advise on how else they can go about it if question one is not doable?

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 10:25am On Jun 09, 2017
Honestly packaging/lying in ANY visit visa application isn't worth it. Currently where I work I met a guy who is looking to get hired, so we got talking and he opened up about how he was denied a usa B2 visa along side his wife and daughter, I requested to see a copy of his DS160 form which he brought yesterday,he was interviewed at abuja (about 5/6pages) did a photocopy while I handed him back his own copy and guess what information there was bogus despite having good home ties (married), went ahead and made travel plans(desperation) and I pointed out his errors at least based on what i have learned on here. And sincerely it changed my impression big time,here are few lessons
1) lying ruins your credibility and it's correction takes time that's if you don't get banned.
2) going to the usa is good but it isn't a do or die affair.
3) i found it more prestigious to visit and return i.e first visit you get 6months, upon your return and second visit you get 2years with a drop box renewal option. I find this more sweeter than over staying and falling out of status,open more doors to visit other countries.
4) it's more better to follow the Rules and say the truth,even if you earn less than 100k in salary don't inflate how much you earn. I know the situation here in 9ja is tough but it's not advisable one lies as it affects not only the applicant but also his/her family members who intend to apply for visa.
5) applicants should ensure they have a genuine and clearly defined purpose on why they intend to visit the usa
6) No amount of jazz/prayers would get/make you qualified if you ain't qualified
Enough said, I'd rather say the truth with a clear conscience and get denied, than ruin my credibility with lies just to get a sticker
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by adebaj01: 10:41am On Jun 09, 2017
i was denied US tourist Visa sometimes this week, how soon can i reapply?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 11:34am On Jun 09, 2017
Hello. I should correct you on point number 3. The standard validity for any visa, from first to 10th, in Nigeria is two years for multiple entries. That means that you can enter multiple times during the two-year span. How long you are allowed to stay depends on what CBP decides at the border; the standard is six months. These terms do not change upon renewal.

IHate9ja1:
Honestly packaging/lying in ANY visit visa application isn't worth it. Currently where I work I met a guy who is looking to get hired, so we got talking and he opened up about how he was denied a usa B2 visa along side his wife and daughter, I requested to see a copy of his DS160 form which he brought yesterday,he was interviewed at abuja (about 5/6pages) did a photocopy while I handed him back his own copy and guess what information there was bogus despite having good home ties (married), went ahead and made travel plans(desperation) and I pointed out his errors at least based on what i have learned on here. And sincerely it changed my impression big time,here are few lessons
1) lying ruins your credibility and it's correction takes time that's if you don't get banned.
2) going to the usa is good but it isn't a do or die affair.
3) i found it more prestigious to visit and return i.e first visit you get 6months, upon your return and second visit you get 2years with a drop box renewal option. I find this more sweeter than over staying and falling out of status,open more doors to visit other countries.
4) it's more better to follow the Rules and say the truth,even if you earn less than 100k in salary don't inflate how much you earn. I know the situation here in 9ja is tough but it's not advisable one lies as it affects not only the applicant but also his/her family members who intend to apply for visa.
5) applicants should ensure they have a genuine and clearly defined purpose on why they intend to visit the usa
6) No amount of jazz/prayers would get/make you qualified if you ain't qualified
Enough said, I'd rather say the truth with a clear conscience and get denied, than ruin my credibility with lies just to get a sticker

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 11:36am On Jun 09, 2017
Hello adebaj01. You may reapply whenever you like. However, the result is likely to be the same unless your circumsances have changed or you have new information to provide in support of your application.

adebaj01:
i was denied US tourist Visa sometimes this week, how soon can i reapply?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by fpeter(f): 2:45pm On Jun 09, 2017
hello VO,
My interview was scheduled for next week Monday, whilst going through my form i noticed a mistake that i had to rectify.
I called the support office and was told to fill a new DS form, which i have done and submitted today. How do i go about rescheduling a new date, please?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by 4real2u: 5:20pm On Jun 09, 2017
Hi, can you please answer my questions below:

4real2u:
Hello abujaniv,

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by BABSFREY: 7:01pm On Jun 09, 2017
Hello Visa Officer,
I intend to take my mum (over 60 years) to the US for a visit (with B1/B2 visa) after her retirement. I hold a B1/B2 visa myself; and I have visited the US 5 times in the past (more recently, April this year). Her interview is scheduled for next week. Will they allow me to come along with her, since I am the sponsor? Does she need to go along with my documents to prove my financial capabilities? She has never traveled out of the country before and she does not know anyone in the US.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by AmbodOfLASU: 7:19pm On Jun 09, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello, Nairaland! Our last thread was lost due to the Nairaland data loss, so we're re-starting the Non-Immigrant Visa discussion.

We are U.S. Foreign Service Officers working in Abuja and Lagos. We'll be happy to answer as many of your Non-Immigrant Visa questions as possible. Please note that we do not comment on specific cases, we do not offer advice, and we will not answer abusive or insulting posts.

While we will attempt to explain U.S. immigration policies and provide overall visa application guidance, any opinions expressed are the personal views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government.

There is a separate Immigrant and Diversity Visa thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792591/u.s-immigration-questions-ask-u.s., also handled by a U.S. Foreign Service Officers in Nigeria, so please use this thread only for questions about Non-Immigrant Visas.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Our best,
AbujaNIV

Hello, good evening.

Please, I helped someone to apply for an American visa some days ago.

Sango Otta,Ogun State, Nigeria is the place of birth. While Ikoyi, Lagos State Nigeria is the place of residence.

Surprisingly to me on the print out, Ikoyi,Nigeria came out as PLACE OF BIRTH instead of PLACE OF RESIDENCE. Perhaps a mistake while registering.

Please, how can this be rectified?

Will it affect her at the interview later this month(considering the fact that it contradicts the Sango Otta on her International Passport)?

What can she urgently do to save her life?

Thank you so much.

Accept please the assurance of my highest regards.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by CreativeWeb(m): 8:10pm On Jun 09, 2017
Hello, Abujaniv, good evening.

Please, I have two urgent questions to ask.

1. Our intended date of travel is 10th July, but I wanted to book interview appointment, 10th July came up as the available date for appointment. Meanwhile, the conference we are attending starts on 13th July.

Will this pose any problem?

2. My wife and I are going to the conference to represent our Bishop who is a Bishop of a Diocese. He has written a letter addressed to the Consular General stating that he's sending us to represent him at the conference and that he will bear all our travel expenses. I pastor a large congregation under the Bishop as my employer. My wife is still a student in the University and don't intend to leave her studies.

Are these ties strong enough?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 9:01pm On Jun 09, 2017
Your question was answered above. A critical part of the visa process is reading and following directions. If that is beyond you, there's not much help we can offer on this forum.

4real2u:

Hi, can you please answer my questions below:

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 9:03pm On Jun 09, 2017
Hello fpeter. You may reschedule the date one time. After that, you must pay the fee again.

fpeter:
hello VO,
My interview was scheduled for next week Monday, whilst going through my form i noticed a mistake that i had to rectify.
I called the support office and was told to fill a new DS form, which i have done and submitted today. How do i go about rescheduling a new date, please?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 9:05pm On Jun 09, 2017
Hello BABSFREY. You may accompany your mother to the interview. She must still qualify on her own merits. We don't look at documents.

BABSFREY:
Hello Visa Officer,
I intend to take my mum (over 60 years) to the US for a visit (with B1/B2 visa) after her retirement. I hold a B1/B2 visa myself; and I have visited the US 5 times in the past (more recently, April this year). Her interview is scheduled for next week. Will they allow me to come along with her, since I am the sponsor? Does she need to go along with my documents to prove my financial capabilities? She has never traveled out of the country before and she does not know anyone in the US.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 9:09pm On Jun 09, 2017
Hello AmbodAssu. Your story is further evidence for why we encourage people to fill out their own applications. Nobody knows your life details better than you. So when you entrust these matters to someone else, mistakes slip in. The problem is that the application is considered a sworn document. The applicant is swearing that all the information inside is true. So any mistakes will fall upon the applicant's credibility, not the agent, friend, or family member.

AmbodOfLASU:

Hello, good evening.

Please, I helped someone to apply for an American visa some days ago.

Sango Otta,Ogun State, Nigeria is the place of birth. While Ikoyi, Lagos State Nigeria is the place of residence.

Surprisingly to me on the print out, Ikoyi,Nigeria came out as PLACE OF BIRTH instead of PLACE OF RESIDENCE. Perhaps a mistake while registering.

Please, how can this be rectified?

Will it affect her at the interview later this month(considering the fact that it contradicts the Sango Otta on her International Passport)?

What can she urgently do to save her life?

Thank you so much.

Accept please the assurance of my highest regards.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 9:14pm On Jun 09, 2017
Hello CreativeWeb. We always advise people to apply months in advance of their intended travel. The old saying applies here: poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part. You are welcome to schedule the interview whenever you can get the date. If the visa is granted, the turnaround time is usually 2-3 working days to get the passport and visa back to you. We do not advise you to buy tickets and make travel arrangements in the US until you have the visa in hand. Once again, we don't look at letters and we don't talk about chances.

CreativeWeb:
Hello, Abujaniv, good evening.

Please, I have two urgent questions to ask.

1. Our intended date of travel is 10th July, but I wanted to book interview appointment, 10th July came up as the available date for appointment. Meanwhile, the conference we are attending starts on 13th July.

Will this pose any problem?

2. My wife and I are going to the conference to represent our Bishop who is a Bishop of a Diocese. He has written a letter addressed to the Consular General stating that he's sending us to represent him at the conference and that he will bear all our travel expenses. I pastor a large congregation under the Bishop as my employer. My wife is still a student in the University and don't intend to leave her studies.

Are these ties strong enough?

(1) (2) (3) ... (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) ... (229)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Travelling To Canada Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.