Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,935 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (79) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (818271 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 6:33am On Jan 28, 2016
CBMO:
Hello,

I had my visa interview on Monday and I was told I had insufficient ties and as such was ineligible for a visa. I have a very good job here in Nigeria, no relatives in the US, I've got a good travel history and very decent pay. I work for a multinational and was asked what my roles and responsibilities were which I also answered honestly. The purpose of my of my trip was just for holidays (easter holiday) and I was going to stay at a friend's place. He is a resident, also works with a multinational. My question would then be:

1. At a young age of 26yrs old, how else am I expected to demonstrate ties in Nigeria if i have a good job here in Nigeria and would definitely return to work after my holiday (please note that my employer gave me a letter to demonstrate I would only be going on leave)

2. Is being unmarried now a determinant that a young lady would not return to her home country?

As such I would really like to know how else/what else can be considered strong ties as I don't own my own home, nor have any kids or property here in Nigeria.

I would however like to reapply but would like to know the best time frame to do this considering even 6 months from now I don't see how my situation/(which I'm totally unaware of would change)

Many factors are looked at when considering ties under INA 214(b).

Prior travel, current employment, family situation, etc. These have been discussed thoroughly on this forum.
Do you have to be married? No, plenty of single people are approved for visas every day.
Is there anything else you can do? Yes, and while I won't coach you on how to get a visa I can tell you that the answer is highlighted within this specific post as well throughout this thread in other responses.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by fishaboi(m): 10:34pm On Jan 28, 2016
Hello,

Please does the "two year rule" really restrict those affected from staying in the US for more than a month at a time on any subsequent visa until the two year period elapses?

I was issued a J-1 visa for a State Department sponsored exchange program last year, and I intend to return to the US this year to participate in a fellowship that is privately funded. I'd like to know what impact the rule might have on my eligibility for the relevant visa, and my stay which might be as long as two months.

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 6:07am On Jan 29, 2016
fishaboi:
Hello,

Please does the "two year rule" really restrict those affected from staying in the US for more than a month at a time on any subsequent visa until the two year period elapses?

I was issued a J-1 visa for a State Department sponsored exchange program last year, and I intend to return to the US this year to participate in a fellowship that is privately funded. I'd like to know what impact the rule might have on my eligibility for the relevant visa, and my stay which might be as long as two months.

Thanks.

I am unaware of any restrictions that you can only be in the U.S. for a single month - the "2-year rule" states that you have to maintain residency in your home country for 2 years following the exchange.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by tobithedancer: 6:37am On Jan 29, 2016
Pls for someone who got married in Nigeria Customarily and already had his marriage broken down without any paper back up, in fact his ex-wife has already remarried here in Nigeria, but the guy plans to remarry his old gf who is a US citizen. How can he prove that his former marriage is broken down because he needs to remarry in the US. Can he try and get a Customary Court divorce for his previous marriage?
And secondly, can a nigeria Customary Court marriage divorce certificate be acceptable in the US for evidence of previous divorce and remarriage in the US ? Or must he approach a High Court for the divorce ?
Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 6:52am On Jan 29, 2016
tobithedancer:
Pls for someone who got married in Nigeria Customarily and already had his marriage broken down without any paper back up, in fact his ex-wife has already remarried here in Nigeria, but the guy plans to remarry his old gf who is a US citizen. How can he prove that his former marriage is broken down because he needs to remarry in the US. Can he try and get a Customary Court divorce for his previous marriage?
And secondly, can a nigeria Customary Court marriage divorce certificate be acceptable in the US for evidence of previous divorce and remarriage in the US ? Or must he approach a High Court for the divorce ?
Thanks

This is not even a non-immigrant visa issue and your question has been addressed in another forum.

Your question has already been answered - there is no need to ask the same questions in multiple forums.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by danowena: 10:38am On Jan 29, 2016
Dear VO,
Please I have 3 questions relating to similar scenerios and I am sorry if they have been repeatedly addressed in the past.

1. If one stated intentions to travel in february but now wants to go in march, will it pose a problem at the POE?

2. If one stated that he intends staying for 3 months during the interview but due to changes in plans now wants to stay for 4 months. Will the CBP construe it as a misrepresentation if he tells him the new length of stay as against that which was stated during his interview?

3. If one initially plans staying for 3 months and was stamped in for 6 months at the POE but now wants to stay for an extra month after entry, will this pose a problem in future if he goes ahead to change his return flight? Please note that he is now staying a total of 4 months and was stamped in for 6 months.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 11:03am On Jan 29, 2016
danowena:
Dear VO,
Please I have 3 questions relating to similar scenerios and I am sorry if they have been repeatedly addressed in the past.

1. If one stated intentions to travel in february but now wants to go in march, will it pose a problem at the POE?

2. If one stated that he intends staying for 3 months during the interview but due to changes in plans now wants to stay for 4 months. Will the CBP construe it as a misrepresentation if he tells him the new length of stay as against that which was stated during his interview?

3. If one initially plans staying for 3 months and was stamped in for 6 months at the POE but now wants to stay for an extra month after entry, will this pose a problem in future if he goes ahead to change his return flight? Please note that he is now staying a total of 4 months and was stamped in for 6 months.

1. Maybe

2. Maybe

3. Maybe

All of these things depend on the circumstances of your travel. None of it inherently breaks immigration law, but if you start lying about things or concealing information it could lead to getting banned. If you have legitimate reasons for the changes and are able to explain them credibly then there should be no problems; but how reasonable is extending vacation for an entire month after you get there?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by asiwaju325: 12:38pm On Jan 29, 2016
Good morning LagosNIV happpy new year Nigerians. U.S categories Ties as thus:

*Family e.g Grand parent

*If you have married

*If you are employed or employer

*having a nice income as salary and commission e.t.c.

But am confused when it's even must for you to have traveling history before United State of America can issue Visa for you. VO must I need to dis-virgin my passport before appear in front of VO and having my visa granted?

What of if I don't have anything doing in travel to any country for a purpose? So I should because of travel history lavishing my money unnecessarily. I think that's not good for someone economic understanding.

VO please lecture me!
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 12:16am On Jan 30, 2016
Lagosniv I am new on this thread and forum I just want to ask a few questions,
Firstly I have been denied a b1/b2 category visa twice, the first time as an undergraduate student I had only been to Dubai then and my mum was my sponsor
Secondly when I reapplied about 4 mths afta, I filled myself in as sponsor because I also have a business that I run and I can afford to sponsor myself and also my then boyfriend has a visa too but I was refused after a two minute interview but then I got a UK visa which I hadn't used, but I travelled to the UK immediately after the interview then
Now I have been to the UK twice, to Dubai and Nairobi after my last refusal and I have reapplied a year after my last refusal as a student being sponsored by my mum because i'm in school now and I do my business part time unlike before when I had time to run the business majorly. , please note that my second refusal I was also going to state that I am still studying but I can afford to sponsor myself from my business that I run, I am also single and I am engaged and I have a valid UK visa that I recently renewed. Thanks and sorry about my long story
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by paralysis: 9:59am On Jan 30, 2016
Good day LagosNIV
I really need your advice on my case. Since I finished my O level in 2007,I have been working as the sales rep/personnel manager amongst other things in my uncle's officece(he is an importer of different commodities). The man said he will want me to begin representing him in some of the programs the company was invited to one in Dubai (mid feb) and one in USA(April ending) since he is geting old to do the run around but he says he is not sure if I will get the USA visa since I ve no travel history and I ve not gone tru the Uni
Please what do I do about this now as I ve had the dream of visiting the US since I was a child. The company will be sponsoring the trip and if am to apply what type of visa will be applying for Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by lordciza: 5:00pm On Jan 30, 2016
hello,my family and i applied for a non immigrant visa for vacation without knowing my wife was pregnant.visa was granted.now I am thinking we could have the delivery in the us even though our initial intent was for a family vacation.what do I have to do to avoid looking like a liar?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by danowena: 6:53am On Feb 01, 2016
LagosNIV:

1. Maybe

2. Maybe

3. Maybe

All of these things depend on the circumstances of your travel. None of it inherently breaks immigration law, but if you start lying about things or concealing information it could lead to getting banned. If you have legitimate reasons for the changes and are able to explain them credibly then there should be no problems; but how reasonable is extending vacation for an entire month after you get there?
Dear LagosNIV/ Abujaniv,

Thank you very much for your prompt response. Well the questions are not about me but 2 people I know that sort my opinion. I referred one of them to this thread but apparently, he never asked on here.
But with this response I can give a more confident answer in future because as it stands I already gave an ill advise to the one already in states since I never knew scenario 3 could have an effect since he is within the window given. Although his travel plans sincerely changed. Scenario 2 was fabricated for information and learning purposes as he knew his plans would likely change few days prior to his travel to states. Thus I explored the option of him just stating his new plan at the POE.

Thank you very much for the advise and guidance given here. I am fast becoming a travel consultant with all my learnings from this thread. Great job.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:03am On Feb 01, 2016
asiwaju325:
Good morning LagosNIV happpy new year Nigerians. U.S categories Ties as thus:

*Family e.g Grand parent

*If you have married

*If you are employed or employer

*having a nice income as salary and commission e.t.c.

But am confused when it's even must for you to have traveling history before United State of America can issue Visa for you. VO must I need to dis-virgin my passport before appear in front of VO and having my visa granted?

What of if I don't have anything doing in travel to any country for a purpose? So I should because of travel history lavishing my money unnecessarily. I think that's not good for someone economic understanding.

VO please lecture me!

Hello asiwaju325,

Prior travel is not a requirement in order to receive a US visa.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:04am On Feb 01, 2016
LadyNene:
Lagosniv I am new on this thread and forum I just want to ask a few questions,
Firstly I have been denied a b1/b2 category visa twice, the first time as an undergraduate student I had only been to Dubai then and my mum was my sponsor
Secondly when I reapplied about 4 mths afta, I filled myself in as sponsor because I also have a business that I run and I can afford to sponsor myself and also my then boyfriend has a visa too but I was refused after a two minute interview but then I got a UK visa which I hadn't used, but I travelled to the UK immediately after the interview then
Now I have been to the UK twice, to Dubai and Nairobi after my last refusal and I have reapplied a year after my last refusal as a student being sponsored by my mum because i'm in school now and I do my business part time unlike before when I had time to run the business majorly. , please note that my second refusal I was also going to state that I am still studying but I can afford to sponsor myself from my business that I run, I am also single and I am engaged and I have a valid UK visa that I recently renewed. Thanks and sorry about my long story

Hello LadyNene,

Ok.... What is your question?

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by danowena: 7:05am On Feb 01, 2016
smiley
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:07am On Feb 01, 2016
paralysis:
Good day LagosNIV
I really need your advice on my case. Since I finished my O level in 2007,I have been working as the sales rep/personnel manager amongst other things in my uncle's officece(he is an importer of different commodities). The man said he will want me to begin representing him in some of the programs the company was invited to one in Dubai (mid feb) and one in USA(April ending) since he is geting old to do the run around but he says he is not sure if I will get the USA visa since I ve no travel history and I ve not gone tru the Uni
Please what do I do about this now as I ve had the dream of visiting the US since I was a child. The company will be sponsoring the trip and if am to apply what type of visa will be applying for Thanks

Hello paralysis,

If you yourself do not think you will qualify for a visa, I would strongly discourage you from applying.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 7:17am On Feb 01, 2016
abujaniv:

Hello LadyNene,

Ok.... What is your question?

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
my question is do I qualify for a b1/b2 visa now because I have reapplied and my interview is this week. Also I have heard there has a be a change in your circumstances etc with my story please is there any change in mine?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:21am On Feb 01, 2016
lordciza:
hello,my family and i applied for a non immigrant visa for vacation without knowing my wife was pregnant.visa was granted.now I am thinking we could have the delivery in the us even though our initial intent was for a family vacation.what do I have to do to avoid looking like a liar?

Hello lordciza,

Honestly, it's going to be pretty hard to convince an interviewing officer that child birth was not your plan at your interview and that you were purposefully deceptive about your intent. As it stands, it is entirely possible you will be turned around at the port of entry since nothing in your notes indicate that you are seeking medical attention. You will need to be prepared to pay $10,000-20,000 for any medical attention received in the United States. You CANNOT receive public assistance, ie medicaid.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by adesanmiprince: 7:33am On Feb 01, 2016
Good day my consular and hope u had a good weekend. Thanks for all u do here
My friend has a visiting visa from 2014 and will expire this June
When he applied for the visa, he told them he intend to spend 1 month, but when he arrived the US, he spent 5 months and he returned back.
While he arrived the US, he visited a school and he was offered an admission, and he applied to change status to student visa, but when he didn't hear back from the change of status application and he was almost running out of time, he had to return back to Nigeria so as not to stay out of status. Few weeks after he arrived Nigeria, he was told that his change of status was not approved that probably maybe it was because he abandoned it and returned back to Nigeria.
Now, his visa will expire in June, but he applied for a drop box renewal last 2 weeks, and he was called to come for an interview.
In this case now, what's his fate sir ?
My own concerns are: spending 5 months instead of the intended 1 month, trying to change status from b1 to F1, and thirdly, he still has 6 months on his visa, why applying for renewal so early.
Can you pls shed lite on this pls ? And could he get his visa renewed ?
Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by danowena: 8:16am On Feb 01, 2016
danowena:

Dear LagosNIV/ Abujaniv

Thank you very much for your prompt response. Well the questions are not about me but 2 people I know that sort my opinion. I referred one of them to this thread but apparently, he never asked on here.
But with this response I can give a more confident answer in future because as it stands I already gave an ill advise to the one already in states since I never knew scenario 3 could have an effect since he is within the window given. Although his travel plans sincerely changed. Scenario 2 was fabricated for information and learning purposes as he knew his plans would likely change few days prior to his travel to states. Thus I explored the option of him just stating his new plan at the POE.

Thank you very much for the advise and guidance given here. I am fast becoming a travel consultant with all my learnings from this thread. Great job.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by danowena: 8:47am On Feb 01, 2016
abujaniv:

Hello danowena,

Daycare is the equivalent of hiring someone to babysit your child while you go out for the night. It is not education and does not require a special visa as such. Education including and beyond kindergarten (whether public or private), however, is not allowed on a B1/B2 visa.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

Okay sir/ma'am,
Your response is well understood. However, how does one go about educating a child from kindergarten till high school who is not a US citizen? Does the mother of the child have to apply for any special kind of visa aside from visiting visa so as to take care of the child? Or must the child be in a boarding school for this to be achieved.
Thank you!
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by paralysis: 8:56am On Feb 01, 2016
abujaniv:

Hello paralysis,

If you yourself do not think you will qualify for a visa, I would strongly discourage you from applying.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Of course i believe i can qualify if properly guided.
What visa type would i be applying for?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by honeywealth: 9:22am On Feb 01, 2016
Good morning, thks for ur advice so far on this thread.My question is I'm pregnant and plan to accompany my motherb in law to travel during my annual leave this month. My interview is this week. Pls how possible can I be granted visa. We to meet with my bro in law family in USA this month.thks for ur respond
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:11pm On Feb 01, 2016
adesanmiprince:

Good day my consular and hope u had a good weekend. Thanks for all u do here
My friend has a visiting visa from 2014 and will expire this June
When he applied for the visa, he told them he intend to spend 1 month, but when he arrived the US, he spent 5 months and he returned back.
While he arrived the US, he visited a school and he was offered an admission, and he applied to change status to student visa, but when he didn't hear back from the change of status application and he was almost running out of time, he had to return back to Nigeria so as not to stay out of status. Few weeks after he arrived Nigeria, he was told that his change of status was not approved that probably maybe it was because he abandoned it and returned back to Nigeria.
Now, his visa will expire in June, but he applied for a drop box renewal last 2 weeks, and he was called to come for an interview.
In this case now, what's his fate sir ?
My own concerns are: spending 5 months instead of the intended 1 month, trying to change status from b1 to F1, and thirdly, he still has 6 months on his visa, why applying for renewal so early.
Can you pls shed lite on this pls ? And could he get his visa renewed ?
Thanks

Hello Adesanmiprince,

It sounds like he's in the renewal process right now and will learn more by going to his interview?

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:15pm On Feb 01, 2016
honeywealth:
Good morning, thks for ur advice so far on this thread.My question is I'm pregnant and plan to accompany my motherb in law to travel during my annual leave this month. My interview is this week. Pls how possible can I be granted visa. We to meet with my bro in law family in USA this month.thks for ur respond

Hello honeywealth,

This isn't a greyhound race; we don't give gambling odds on visa applications. If you believe you are qualified you may apply and the officer will consider all possible ties at the time of your interview. I strongly encourage you to be upfront and honest about your purpose of travel during the interview.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:30pm On Feb 01, 2016
danowena:

Okay sir/ma'am,
Your response is well understood. However, how does one go about educating a child from kindergarten till high school who is not a US citizen? Does the mother of the child have to apply for any special kind of visa aside from visiting visa so as to take care of the child? Or must the child be in a boarding school for this to be achieved.
Thank you!

Hello danowena,

There are no appropriate visa classes to allow children to attend public primary schools in the United States. Our schools are paid for through taxpayers. As children/parents have not contributed to the tax base, they are not entitled to attend American public schools.

According to 9 FAM 402.5-5(K)(2), students may apply to attend public high schools (grades 9-12, or roughly ages 14 to 18) in the United States, so long as they repay the school system, "for the full, unsubsidized, per capita cost of providing the education to him or her." According to the Department of Education, Americans spend an average of $12,401 per student each year. Depending on where a child is enrolled, the cost may be considerably higher than this (in New York, for example, it is almost $20,000 per student per year).

International students may not attend American public schools for more than 12 months.

Should a parent wish to enroll their child in a private primary or secondary school, the student must be accepted and apply for an F-1 visa.

There are no visas for parents of students in the United States to stay long-term. The appropriate visa would be a B1/B2 tourist visa, but this would simply allow a parent/guardian to visit their child. If they attempt to live in the United States while their child is in US schools, their visa might be revoked and they may be barred from reentering the United States.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:30pm On Feb 01, 2016
paralysis:

Of course i believe i can qualify if properly guided.
What visa type would i be applying for?

Hello paralysis,

If you are going to attend a conference, then a B1/B2 visa would be the most appropriate.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (229)

QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.