Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (82) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (818327 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:09pm On Feb 08, 2016
princessrbt:
Hello VO,

My husband and I live in US and we are trying to invite my mom over to spend few months with us. My question is do I have to send the supporting documents like invitation letter, both my husband and I' data passport page, affidavit of support to the embassy too? Since all these will be sent to my mom as well for her to take along to the interview.

Thanks

Hello princessrbt,

The Consular Officer may ask to see your passport data page, but if this is just for a tourist visa, she will not need an affidavit of support.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:11pm On Feb 08, 2016
Reserved001:
Hello Vo, I applied and was issued a NIV while studying in the UK in 2014, since then I have visited the US twice from the UK. I have now returned to Nigeria and intend to revisit the US but will need to renew my NIVisa. My question then is; will I be eligible to use the Dropbox since my visa was not issued in Nigeria, or do I have to apply and book an appointment?

Hello Reserved001,

If your last visa was issued outside of Nigeria, you will need to come into to either the Consulate in Lagos or the Embassy in Abuja for your interview.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:14pm On Feb 08, 2016
notasowie:
Hello vo, I was denial a b1/b2 last year march , same year September I got an admission for my masters , I applied for my f1 December 10th was denial ,applied again 30th was denial .. What might be the course ?

Hello notasowie,

The Consular Officer is asking questions to determine if you are a qualified and credible student. We cannot provide individual advice for each message post, but in general you must prove to the officer that you are legitimate student and you have the funds to cover the cost of your study with plans to return to Nigeria upon completion.

Regards,
Abjua NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:19pm On Feb 08, 2016
Rahmeek:
Hello VO,
I have explained my situation to you a week or two back. I was rejected under section 214(b). My question now is, march 16,2016 it will be 90 days since my visa application was rejected. It is assumed after 90 days my situation has changed. Are they meaning the information on my previous ds-160 has to change? Even if what was filled in the previous ds-160 happens to be the truth.

Hello Rahmeek-

90 days is not a number that is set in stone. We recommend that people wait at least 90 days before reapplying, but sometimes people wait much longer. If the circumstances in your life haven't changed - meaning that your ties to Nigeria have not become stronger, we would recommend that you do NOT apply again. You must prove that your ties to Nigeria are strong and that usually does not change drastically in only a few months.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:21pm On Feb 08, 2016
tuutuu:
Good morning VO.

l urgently need your advise.

l made a major error on my DS-160 form and realised this few hours to my interview which was scheduled for Feb 6, 2016 (last Saturday).

l couldn't correct this at the time and had to miss the interview.

Please advise if l am to pay a new visa fee or if l can still make use of the old and what other step to take.

Thank you.

Hello Tuutuu,

You can reschedule your appointment once using the same application.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:25pm On Feb 08, 2016
ttymyluv:
please i need guideline on how to apply for a visiting visa to USA.

my elder brother wants to invite me. He already have a blue passport n works with the Federal Govt in USA.

He would sponsor the trip and hence will accomodate me.

my patents are presently in USA, they have there green card to collect blue card soon.

I amarried and my passport still bears my maiden name. my hubby is in UK preaently for studies. I work with a private company.

what are the dicuments that i would need and links to apply..
Tgank you and God bless u

Hello ttymyluv,

Each adult applicant for an NIV must apply on their own merit. You will need to convince the officer that you have strong ties to Nigeria even though your parents and your brother are Legal Permanent Residents and U.S. citizens. Once your parents are U.S. citizens, they can petition for you to go to the U.S. through the IV process.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:27pm On Feb 08, 2016
ifeoluwakintan:
Dear VO,

Good morning and i trust you had a pleasant weekend.

Please i need clarification on this question.

My mom has 2 years US Visa gotten through dropbox after her visa expired.

She intends travelling at the end of February, 2016 to Return April 30th, 2016.

The issue now is that her visa expires March 28th, 2016.

She sent a mail to the embassy and she was informed that she can use the visa to travel and decision on duration is given at the Point of Entry.

Please advise, can she reapply now. Since she is still going at the end of February or just go ahead with the decison she got via the email response.

She doesnt want to have issues when she returns and reapply.

Thank you sir.

Hello ifeoluwakintan,

The answer from the email was correct. She must enter the U.S. port of entry before her visa expires and then the border patrol agent will tell her how long she can stay. When she returns from her trip she will want to send her Passport in via Dropbox to have it renewed.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by ifeoluwakintan: 3:32pm On Feb 08, 2016
Dear VO,

I sincerely appreciate your response.
Does it really mean she won't have issues renewing if she is allowed to stay till April 30th, 2016. Her purpose of coming and staying in the US for 8 weeks is to help take care of my babies and i after delivery.

She has never stayed more than 3 weeks max in all her travels to the United States.

Thank you for been their to answer our questions.

God bless you.

abujaniv:

Hello ifeoluwakintan,

The answer from the email was correct. She must enter the U.S. port of entry before her visa expires and then the border patrol agent will tell her how long she can stay. When she returns from her trip she will want to send her Passport in via Dropbox to have it renewed.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by infofirst(m): 5:40pm On Feb 08, 2016
Can one member of a family pick up issued visa + passport on behalf of others even when the family members are all above 16years?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by princessrbt: 6:29pm On Feb 08, 2016
abujaniv:

Hello princessrbt,

The Consular Officer may ask to see your passport data page, but if this is just for a tourist visa, she will not need an affidavit of support.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

Thanks so much for your response.
Yes it's just a tourist visa and since she'll not need an affidavit of support, does she need any document to show we are the one (my husband and I)sponsoring her traveling? If yes, what does she need?
Also do we need to send all the document she'll need to the embassy?

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by ancestorial(m): 8:21pm On Feb 08, 2016
Hi consular officer, please i want you to enlighten me. I want to know if a USA visa gotten on January,2015 can still be used for travelling in this year. Secondly, can a person visiting Atlanta in Georgia from Nigeria fly to Newyork before going to Atlanta, wont that cause problem at the POE in Newyork.
thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by shawno: 11:34pm On Feb 08, 2016
HELLO CONSULAR OFFICER,
PLS I AM A STUDENT IN UK, I WANT TO APPLY FOR US VISA WITH THE AIM OF GOING FOR A CONFERENCE ..PLEASE I WANT TO KNOW IF I WILL NEED A BANK STATEMENT AND IF YES , LIKE HOW MUCH MUST BE IN THE ACCOUNT AND FOR HOW MANY DAYS.. AM A LITTLE BIT CONFUSED BECAUSE SOMEONE SAID THE AMOUNT THERE MUST BE FOR LIKE 28DAYS .. JUST WANT TO CLARIFY . THANK YOU .
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Arnold4all: 5:27am On Feb 09, 2016
I asked this question but have not received any response please I need help
I really need a help on what to do, I filed for my wife i-130, it was approved, she went for an interview and was denied visa, is currently with NVC undergoing administrative processing, whereas I didnt know how long it will take. Am seriously in need of my wife to come take care of some certain things here, am considering of filing a visiting visa for her to come and go back, with promise that she will come stay and go back pending her VISA processess to be completed. Please I need know what to do please, should I applied for visiting visa, if yes will she be approved, if no, what can I do, please I need help. Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by KnowledgeIsPawa: 9:40am On Feb 09, 2016
Hello VO

I earlier asked this question since last week but I was never replied. I was wondering if it was by omission or commission as messages after it have been replied.

Please I want to confirm the process of getting a replacement visa after reporting a missing passport with valid US visa to LagosNIV@state.gov and getting an acknowledgment.
Does one have to pay the visa fee all over again and schedule an interview through the same process? or is there any distinction in any way from a first time application , given this painful loss of an important document with valid visas? The US visa has been used once and still had more than 10 months of validity.
Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by sam2009: 10:13am On Feb 09, 2016
Dear VO, kindly advise me on this issue, a friend of mine applied for a B1/B2 visa sometimes 2012 through a conference and unfortunately for him the agent that applied for him stamp his international passport with various fake stamp to make travel experience for him, also the agent filled a wrong school for him apart from the one he attended, his visa was denied because when he was asked by the consular whether he had traveled out of Nigeria before, he tell the truth of the matter.

Now he wanted to apply for as a tourist, he refuse not to use the old passport anymore, and decided to get another one and get his previous passport cancelled by Nigeria Immigration Service due to the fake stamp on it.

Sir, can't his previous interview worked against him ? kindly advise on what he can do to clear himself from the previous mess he find himself. Thanks
KnowledgeIsPawa:
Hello VO

I earlier asked this question since last week but I was never replied. I was wondering if it was by omission or commission as messages after it have been replied.

Please I want to confirm the process of getting a replacement visa after reporting a missing passport with valid US visa to LagosNIV@state.gov and getting an acknowledgment.
Does one have to pay the visa fee all over again and schedule an interview through the same process? or is there any distinction in any way from a first time application , given this painful loss of an important document with valid visas? The US visa has been used once and still had more than 10 months of validity.
Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by onyemaanuforo(m): 12:52pm On Feb 09, 2016
Hello VO/Everyone,

I have been an ardent follower of this thread for a while. Seen and learned from the good advice, and scoffed and laughed at the 'not so good' ones.
Either ways, well done to everyone.
I went for my F1 Visa interview in Abuja on 29th January and........... I was granted.
*smiles*... Thank you very much. I see y'all saying congrats.
The thing is I quite prepared for the interview but was still scared AF!... I wrote a full transcript of both the build up to my interview and the interview itself so that other followers passive and active alike can benefit. But my system chose to freeze up after like 20 minutes of typing..
Now I hope I get the motivation to start afresh.....

I hope I can throw in a quick question to more experienced guys in the house while I develop another transcript.

My program starts in May 2016, and by law I am not permitted into US until 30 days before that date.

My question is, I want to book my flight for April 19th, via LA to see a senior/old time friend for 2 weeks before proceeding to Chicago.
Will that pose any troubles?

Also, I read on the department of Homelands page that I am meant to pick my passport along with a sealed envelop. But I am damn sure I did not get any sealed envelop when I picked my passport....... AM I MISSING SOMETHING??

Lest I forget, they also said my passport should be valid 6 months after my intended stay.. My passport expires just a month after my intended stay in 2018. Now, the Immigration here in Lagos says they cannot extend the validity of my passport until 6 months to its expiration meaning I have to go with my current passport.

Any advice

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by rogerdavid: 2:41pm On Feb 09, 2016
Congratulations Onyemaanuforo.
That is great news.

I am also a new member on this thread. I was fascinated by the brilliant and concise advice on the thread.
Good job everyone
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 3:50pm On Feb 09, 2016
abujaniv:

Hello ttymyluv,

Each adult applicant for an NIV must apply on their own merit. You will need to convince the officer that you have strong ties to Nigeria even though your parents and your brother are Legal Permanent Residents and U.S. citizens. Once your parents are U.S. citizens, they can petition for you to go to the U.S. through the IV process.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

I am supposed to fill my spouse Home address, can i use his UK address or Nigeria?

Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by rogerdavid: 3:51pm On Feb 09, 2016
Hello abuja/lagosNIV

I am a new member here. I have read through several posts here; i must say that I am quite impressed with your astute, sound and relevant advice.

As I prepare for my Graduate studies come Fall this year, I have questions on my mind. But let me start with these:

With my I-20 from, how soon can I apply for visa, considering the fact that Fall semester won't start until August/September?

Secondly, my passport will expire in December 2016 and I am sure you are aware that I can't get renewal from immigration before a six-month pre-expiry timeline. What do you suggest I do about this?
Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by seesaw: 4:30pm On Feb 09, 2016
Had my visa interview last week and was denied. Was applying for B-2 visa (tourism/Medical)

Went with my little daughter

Interview went thus
VO: why do you want to travel to the US
Me: To give birth to my second child in the US
VO: which state are you travelling to
Me:Houston Texas
vo: Where do you work
me:......
Vo: Where does your husband work
Me:.......
VO: have you contacted a Doctor
Me: yes and passed forward doctor n hospital relevant documents and budget sheet
VO: where will you be staying after delivery of the child
Me: with my sister n her family
VO: How much does it cost to give birth in Houston
Me: $13000 (which was the cost of the whole trip not only hospital cost)
VO: Do you have any bank statements to support this
Me: passed forward mine n hubby's statements
VO: you have this amt, (which was a little above the naira equivalent for $13000) does that mean all the funds you have is what you intend to use for this trip
Me: That is what we have set aside at the moment but we expect other allowances to be paid to us during the course of the year
VO: Am sorry you aren't eligible for entry visa to the us at this time n hands me a blue paper. which is the INA section 214(b)

MY questions:

I presume the denial was cos my funds was the exact equivalent of $13000. however some of the expected incomes have been received so can i re-apply again in early March.

What other documents can i take to show evidence of strong ties to home country.

Should I reapply with my daughter or not

What can i do different to help my chances

NB:I am about 5 months gone and my first appointment should be 1st week in May.

Thank you for your anticipated response.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by NaGodwin: 11:41pm On Feb 09, 2016
@Abujaniv @LagosNiv.
I had my visa interview with my wife at the lagos consulate last year and we were denied, during the interview, the Consular officer took my fingerprints and that of my wife too, it was strange because they were already taken before we got to the VO for the interview and other applicants didnt have their fingerprints taken by the interviewing officer. what could be the reason for that?
are we still eligible to apply?
after the denial, we both took a trip to IStanbul for 1 week, my wife is not ready to travel now, am i allowed to apply again in the absence of my wife?
if the abuja consulate will be more convenient for me, will it work against me if i use Abuja this time around?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by oganlalasokun: 12:59am On Feb 10, 2016
Thanks for all your answers to our questions. Pls may I ask this question...
Can someone with a valid visit visa who is visiting the US for a one month vacation to carry some Nigeria good items with him to the US ? These are our local food stuffs which include some dry fish and fresh vegetables too. Pls won't one have issues at the POE ?
Thanks alot
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by KnowledgeIsPawa: 12:09pm On Feb 10, 2016
Hello VO

Great job you are doing here.

I have posted this question twice since last week but I was never replied.

Please I want to confirm the process of getting a replacement visa after reporting a missing passport with valid US visa to LagosNIV@state.gov and getting an acknowledgement.
Does one have to pay the visa fee all over again and schedule an interview through the same process? or is there any distinction in any way from a first time or fresh application , given the circumstances? The US visa has been used only once and still had more than 10 months of validity before the passport was missing.

Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:56pm On Feb 10, 2016
ancestorial:
Hi consular officer, please i want you to enlighten me. I want to know if a USA visa gotten on January,2015 can still be used for travelling in this year. Secondly, can a person visiting Atlanta in Georgia from Nigeria fly to Newyork before going to Atlanta, wont that cause problem at the POE in Newyork.
thanks

Hello ancestorial,

Visas to the U.S. are generally valid for 24 months. The officers at the POE will determine if visa holders can enter the U.S. It is best to clear and honest with the officers at the POE about your purpose of travel - this is why it is imperative that all applicants are clear and honest with the visa officer at the window. The officers at the border look at the notes from the visa officer during their interviews as well.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:41pm On Feb 10, 2016
ancestorial:
thanks

Hello ancestorial,

Typically, visas to the U.S. from Nigeria are valid for 24 months. The officer at the point of entry will determine if an applicant can enter the country, however, it is imperative that you are clear and honest with both the consular officer at the initial interview and and the customs officer about your purpose of travel when you arrive at the POE.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:46pm On Feb 10, 2016
rogerdavid:
Hello abuja/lagosNIV

I am a new member here. I have read through several posts here; i must say that I am quite impressed with your astute, sound and relevant advice.

As I prepare for my Graduate studies come Fall this year, I have questions on my mind. But let me start with these:

With my I-20 from, how soon can I apply for visa, considering the fact that Fall semester won't start until August/September?

Secondly, my passport will expire in December 2016 and I am sure you are aware that I can't get renewal from immigration before a six-month pre-expiry timeline. What do you suggest I do about this?
Thank you

Hello rogerdavid,

An F1 visa is only valid for entry 30 days before the start date on the I-20 form. If students wish to travel sooner, they must apply for an be granted a B1/B2 visa. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months past the date the visa is issued. You will want to hold a valid passport while you are living in the U.S. for studies, so it is important to get that taken care of before you travel.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:50pm On Feb 10, 2016
KnowledgeIsPawa:
Hello VO

Great job you are doing here.

I have posted this question twice since last week but I was never replied.

Please I want to confirm the process of getting a replacement visa after reporting a missing passport with valid US visa to LagosNIV@state.gov and getting an acknowledgement.
Does one have to pay the visa fee all over again and schedule an interview through the same process? or is there any distinction in any way from a first time or fresh application , given the circumstances? The US visa has been used only once and still had more than 10 months of validity before the passport was missing.

Thanks

Hello KnowledgeIsPawa,

If your valid visa has been stolen or lost you must report it and then you have to reapply for the visa and pay the corresponding fees for the new application. The old visa will be cancelled.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:52pm On Feb 10, 2016
oganlalasokun:
Thanks for all your answers to our questions. Pls may I ask this question...
Can someone with a valid visit visa who is visiting the US for a one month vacation to carry some Nigeria good items with him to the US ? These are our local food stuffs which include some dry fish and fresh vegetables too. Pls won't one have issues at the POE ?
Thanks alot

Hello oganlalasokun,

The customs and border patrol deal with those issues, but it is typically not advised to bring any foods from one country to another as each country has different regulations on agriculture products.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:58pm On Feb 10, 2016
NaGodwin:
@Abujaniv @LagosNiv.
I had my visa interview with my wife at the lagos consulate last year and we were denied, during the interview, the Consular officer took my fingerprints and that of my wife too, it was strange because they were already taken before we got to the VO for the interview and other applicants didnt have their fingerprints taken by the interviewing officer. what could be the reason for that?
are we still eligible to apply?
after the denial, we both took a trip to IStanbul for 1 week, my wife is not ready to travel now, am i allowed to apply again in the absence of my wife?
if the abuja consulate will be more convenient for me, will it work against me if i use Abuja this time around?

Hello NaGodwin,

Consular Officers verify the fingerprints of adults at the window after they have been processed through intake. The verification of fingerprints has no bearance on the outcome of the interview. You can apply at either location - it does not impact your chances either way. Applicants are welcome to apply at any time, but we advise that after a refusal, you should wait until your ties to Nigeria are stronger.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

(1) (2) (3) ... (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) ... (229)

QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.