Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,642 members, 7,809,410 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology (2029 Views)

Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB / Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes / David Mark And Pdp Senators Kill Bsc/hnd Dichotomy Bills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by mandarin: 12:40pm On Jun 30, 2014
The shocking lost of APC Governor Fayemi to the candidate of PDP Ayo Fayose in just concluded gubernatorial election in Ekiti State was a reflection of many deep rooted gap in the Yoruba ideaology and metaphysical between the East and West of the Yoruba country, a gulf similar in nature to the Ekitiparapo war otherwise known as Kiriji war in the 1880s.
Let me be clear that personally, I am averse to any political system or individuals that do not promote developments for the populace which in Ekiti did not make my interest in the candidates of both PDP and APC while am not a fan of politicians that cross carpet for political gains rather than stand on their rooted ideaology on developments.
As I earlier discussed before the election, I wished both political parties came up with better, right thinking candidates.However, where does the dichotomy comes from in the Yoruba ideaology?
To answer the question, I will do a brief on Asiwaju Tinubu's schemes which was driven with confidence and his own ,political sagacity rooted for the incunmbent governor as candidate of the APC against the resentment of a portion of his own party to have a primary election which led to the division in the rank of the party. The Tinubu factor was a step too far, how? the mentality and mindset of Ekiti have historical aversiveness against any too larger than life personality just like the Lord of the land played out by the Ibadan wishing to subjugate the Ekiti in the times of old,although we have to collectively credit the Jagaban of giving us Governor Fashola and others who have demostrated their intellectual capacity to deliver more than we have had in the past. Inthe same vein, Tinubu's presentation of Fayemi was received with sceptism by the populace which to them was a go slow man.
Fayose was a people's man, he was a grassroot politician, he understood the people and he came down to the level of the rural people but Fayemi, a well behaved, educated and highly enlightened man obviously belong to the elites whose program for the state was backed by his strong sense of exposure, it was a gap between him and the ordinary people , the gap Fayose simply filled.
Another factor was the usual in the palm of my hand factor by the Tinubu camp just like the Ibadan cum Oyo undermined the people.While the Ekiti are hard core pro-Yoruba people and stubbornly so, they are very egoistical, the same with Ondo state indigenes. Similar to this mentality are the Ijesa which which made up the Ekitiparapo in the Kriji war.
This is a gap Fayose(not PDP) explored and exploited to his advantage and he won.
Which way Osun &2015?
The story of Osun may not be the same because Aregbesola is also a grassroot politician and there is still the rather gentle Osun against the Ijesa who are similar to the Ekiti in bigger population(please my assumption). His performances also stand him in good position as against some flaws that created the gap for Fayemi like teachers and civil servants issues which he did not resolve on time and which he would have done within his first two years in office.Aregbesola has also touched the ordinary citizens through some jobs creation.
About 2015 PDP should not jubilate as this will obviously make APC do a much better home work like fielding a Yoruba candidate from the Eastern end of the Yoruba country or proto-Yoruba candidate for the VP slot if it should choose a northern candidate. Ekiti generally are not pro-Jonathan but they do not embrace the North either. If their anti north mentality and ideaology are well exploited PDP could spring a surprise. Let it be known however that Ekiti people voted Fayose and he would have won on any political platform.
What is the missing link?
I wondered why EKITI I know would ever vote for a personality as controversial as Fayose who is being accussed of many finacial malpractices during his first term in office. The Ekiti, the land of HONOUR has seemed lost that honor to the popular Stomach infrastructure? All the home trainings and the open honesty of the state indigines are now questionable. Some 20years past, Fayose would not have won an election, something has gone wrong!! Ekiti people are arrogantly averse to dishonesty, cheating and any shadow of stealing or corruption.The question is Has politics change all those attributes?
Maybe there are needs of the people not so clear to the elicit leaders like Fayemi but which a person in the elected governor Fayose can provide, Maybe the hike in school fees in the Universities across APC states(the people love free education or at least a cheap one),may be there is a need to do political research and consultation to reconnect the ordinary people to governance. It looks to me(personal ,opinion) that the Tinubu camp can reproduce a Fashola in Ekiti while looking at broading opportunities in the state and of course the entire Yoruba country in areas of job creation. The Yoruba country have a huge unemployed graduates and government should take actions to promote entrepreneurial spirits and make soft loan available.
While I wish governor elect, Fayose well in delivering on ,his electioneering promises, I wish to see Ekiti that is focused and progressive.Before I conclude,let me state that the civil servants/teachers were the undoing of Fayemi who wanted to bring change by thinking outside the box but was too un-tactical to throw the box to his competitor!!! He wanted change but could not satiate the ever selfish political class and civil servants. Fayose should balance the two.I wish him the best.
Meanwhile the dichotomy in the Yoruba mindset and mentality is open to be exploited by the smart or closed by the opposition party in the state, the APC. This is also a call to close rank in Ogun to avert another loss, Tinubu and Osoba should support Amosun to deliver more to the peolple and relegate power play for the good of their party and the citizens.
This is a socio-phychological issue and must be considered well for the good of the Yoruba country.
God bless Nigeria.
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jun 30, 2014
This is just shallow and intellectually deficient. What has the dichotomy of Eastern and Western Yoruba ideology got to do with electioneering, and lack of foresight by peasant who only care about crumbs, than electing the right people? Is Edo also part of Western Yoruba? - so, how come their governor is part of APC?

It has more to do with grassroots politics; telling the peasants who make up a large portion of electorates what they want to hear; the need for change; and the bigger spender. APC did itself no favours by being a party of elitists and extreme capitalists...and I believe the former governor never tried to bridge-the-gap during his tenure. He relied on the incumbent factor, and APC stronghold among Yoruba's, but ended up failing woefully.

Please, delete the thread, bro.

1 Like

Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 30, 2014
Eastern and western Yoruba ideology? What the hell is that? Awolowo probably had his most ardent supporters in what is now Ekiti and Ondo states, how does that tally with your East/West conjecture?

2 Likes

Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by mandarin: 1:48pm On Jun 30, 2014
shymexx: This is just shallow and intellectually deficient. What has the dichotomy of Eastern and Western Yoruba ideology got to do with electioneering, and lack of foresight by peasant who only care about crumbs, than electing the right people? Is Edo also part of Western Yoruba? - so, how come their governor is part of APC?

It has more to do with grassroots politics; telling the peasants who make up a large portion of electorates what they want to hear; the need for change; and the bigger spender. APC did itself no favours by being a party of elitists and extreme capitalists...and I believe the former governor never tried to bridge-the-gap during his tenure. He relied on the incumbent factor, and APC stronghold among Yoruba's, but ended up failing woefully.

Please, delete the thread, bro.
Thanks Shymexx, you can't tell the whole history on a page but there is always a socio-psychological dimension in a political-economic construe.Kindly read the post again as am not against any section of the Yoruba country. You do not have to say peasants that care about crumbs, why didn't the government care about the crumbs?
About the Awolowo, I told you the Ekiti are probably pro-Yoruba than any other group but why did they still vote Fayose? History tells that the Ekiti are die hard Yoruba people and stubbornly so. How is the post intellectually shalow?

1 Like

Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by mandarin: 1:51pm On Jun 30, 2014
Aigbofa: Eastern and western Yoruba ideology? What the hell is that? Awolowo probably had his most ardent supporters in what is now Ekiti and Ondo states, how does that tally with your East/West conjecture?

I've taken a look at the socio- psychological marks across the land and it doesn't take anything away that Ekiti is pro-Yoruba stronghold. But why on earth was it shaken?
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by Ikengawo: 2:14pm On Jun 30, 2014
Aigbofa: Eastern and western Yoruba ideology? What the hell is that? Awolowo probably had his most ardent supporters in what is now Ekiti and Ondo states, how does that tally with your East/West conjecture?

but Awolowo was also a notorious grassroots politician as the article stated so...

it's not unusual. In Igbo land the type of candidate that will win in Imo is not the type that will win in Enugu. Every state is like this and the author pointed out why he felt the way he did very clearly. Tinubu can't use the formula for lagos in Ekiti and expect the same result.

1 Like

Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by Ayekotoo(m): 2:58pm On Jun 30, 2014
We came into office and stayed faithful to our manifesto. We stayed faithful to our promise to our people. What we now see is an absurd conclusion that has been reached especially by the Peoples Democratic Party. The absurdity in this logic is that how do you say a governor who has performed and introduced a welfare policy, the first of its kind in Nigeria was rejected? As part of the policy of his party, he promised free and qualitative education and in the pursuit of that abolished schools fees, built new schools, paid teachers regularly but when the students were failing their exams decided to find out what was wrong. The administration introduced assessment examinations but the teachers purportedly don’t like this. If we accept this, we are going to enthrone a kind of government that will buckle under the whims and caprices of any pressure group, however, unreasonable their position may be. This to me is worrisome.-- APC

2 Likes

Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by Ayekotoo(m): 3:00pm On Jun 30, 2014
If we accept this, we are going to enthrone a kind of government that will buckle under the whims and caprices of any pressure group, however, unreasonable their position may be. This to me is worrisome.
Very touchy
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by Akanbiedu(m): 3:06pm On Jun 30, 2014
Ikengawo:
but Awolowo was also a notorious grassroots politician as the article stated so...
it's not unusual. In Igbo land the type of candidate that will win in Imo is not the type that will win in Enugu. Every state is like this and the author pointed out why he felt the way he did very clearly. Tinubu can't use the formula for lagos in Ekiti and expect the same result.

True but Tinubu can't be everywhere. Fayemi is closer to the Ekiti people and understand them better.

As sophisticated as Lagos looks, grassroot politics is still played by Tinubu. Left to Fashola, APC would have lost there. Fashola and Fayemi are alike in many ways.
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by Akanbiedu(m): 3:20pm On Jun 30, 2014
Ayekotoo: We came into office and stayed faithful to our manifesto. We stayed faithful to our promise to our people. What we now see is an absurd conclusion that has been reached especially by the Peoples Democratic Party. The absurdity in this logic is that how do you say a governor who has performed and introduced a welfare policy, the first of its kind in Nigeria was rejected? As part of the policy of his party, he promised free and qualitative education and in the pursuit of that abolished schools fees, built new schools, paid teachers regularly but when the students were failing their exams decided to find out what was wrong. The administration introduced assessment examinations but the teachers purportedly don’t like this. If we accept this, we are going to enthrone a kind of government that will buckle under the whims and caprices of any pressure group, however, unreasonable their position may be. This to me is worrisome.-- APC

Considering that the whole Country is in need of change, and that any loss to the PDP will make that change less possible, Fayemi should have buckled for the time being.
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by RedReact: 3:24pm On Jun 30, 2014
Akanbi_edu:

True but Tinubu can't be everywhere. Fayemi is closer to the Ekiti people and understand them better.

As sophisticated as Lagos looks, grassroot politics is still played by Tinubu. Left to Fashola, APC would have lost there. Fashola and Fayemi are alike in many ways.

The Ekiti election has been, and will be, raising so many questions in the heart of many. While I have my reservations about the Fayemi administration, I believe the state deserves better than Fayose. 4 years is not long for us to know who did right or wrong. The state citizens do not have the right to complain about the affairs of the state, as they have made their choice in a clear-cut manner. I wish the governor-elect success in his incoming tenure, but I am not expecting anything stellar.

As for the words in bold, I believe the associates at the government and party level didn't do much up to expectation, as they are the ones that are closer to the people more than the governor himself., so I put the blame on them. The party at the council level didn't do anything much at all, if I were to consider the distribution of money and other material things, and this indicates that we still have a long way to go if we want progress for our nation.
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by Ikengawo: 3:26pm On Jun 30, 2014
Akanbi_edu:

i believe that. I also believe that Tinubu as former governor of lagos has a touch in that state that he doesn't have in ekiti because it's the core of this power. He has had almost a decade to mold Lagos politics in his imagine while in Ekiti he's a newcomer. Many APC states were PDP giveaways, and PDP is still strong enough in those states to take them back. Fayose is a grassroots guy like Tinubu and a 'thug' of sorts, the type that's successful in Nigerian politics, more so than a gentleman like Fayemi who was in large part made by Fayose and later linked with Tinubu if my sources are correct.

APC is stronger in Osun than Ekiti and I think they'll win that state. Aregbesola plays the type of politics that could even see him succeed Tinubu in leadership of the region

1 Like

Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by oduastates: 4:03pm On Jun 30, 2014
What dichotomy are you talking about?
The ekitis sold their future for a quarter bag of rice .
It is this same refusal to imbibe the core omoluabi values which makes the ekiti diaspora to avoid the place like a plague.
Fayemi came and made the place liveable just like amosun is doing in ogun state.This will automatically lead to more people visiting and even more investing at home.
Alas,it is not good enough. ,the former way of

1Having beer parlour on every corner,
2goats ,dogs and pigs on the residential streets ,
3 Okada drivers constituting a nuisance ,
4 useless teacher/civil servant who go to work to trade rather than render services .

Someone wrote something online and i agree .
Fayemi should handover all the schools back to the missionaries .
that way,you can start reducing the population of the stupid .

This peom is from an ekiti professor who I guess is what they refer to as ,a foreign ekitis.

professor Osundare poem captures it perfectly.

A-RICE, oh compatriots
Your stomach’s call obey
Say, A-RICE, oh compatriots
Your stomach’s call obey
Hold out your bowls for the golden grains
Pawn your pride without delay

Grab your bribe and dance in the street
To the Riceman’s drum and venal command
Yes, grab your bribe and dance in the streets
Bend your back for his heavy ride
Your golden rice is your sole demand

The Riceman is here, your lord and saviour
Pawn your vote for his golden gift
Say, the Riceman is here, your lord and saviour
Eat your rice and belch like a bull
And give your guts the forgetful lift

The passage down the gullet
Is the fastest road to heaven
Yes, the passage down the gullet
To those held hostage by their shameless guts
There is no nirvana like the seething toilet

The people voted their stomach
And the dunghill usurped their future
Alas, the people voted their stomach
The dunghill embraced their future
The wounds from this blind affair
Defy the magic of the cleverest suture

II

Cunning Riceman with bags
Full of tricks and daggers
Say, cunning Riceman with bags
His first coming left us all
In ashes and fluttering rags

Brazen murders, strange disappearances:
His hands drip with unexpiated crimes
Yes, brazen murders, strange disappearances
But he has an arsenal of cash and rice
Both so vital in these degenerate times

Rabble-rousing, clowning, scheming
Frightful intimations of Idi Amin’s pedigree
Yes, rabble-rousing, clowning, scheming
Yesterday’s fruits still stir the leaves
On History’s bewildering tree

Here, once again,
The wild histrionics of a deadly actor
Say, here, once, again,
Mindless applause from a captive audience
Chloroformed puppets of a wily victor

III

They sold their birth right
For a kongo* of rice
Alas, they sold their birth right
For a kongo of rice
This mindless commerce
Will come at a heavy price

Erstwhile Knowledge Fountain
Overgrown with Ignorance’s malignant weeds
Alas, erstwhile Knowledge Fountain
The Book, once robust, resurgent,
Has been voted out of our daily needs

They sold us a lemon; we emptied
Our bank of virtues to pay the price
Alas, they sold us a lemon; we emptied
The will powerful guns could not subdue
Now lies suborned by a spoonful of rice

Poverty so desperate, so demeaning,
It consumed our pride, our primal worth
Yes, Poverty, so desperate, so demeaning,
The pride we once extolled is vanishing fast
From the face of our stunned, corrupted earth

*Kongo: a small tin, plastic, or calabash container used for measuring peas and grains in market sales.

IV

Too good for us, far too advanced
The reigning King is too high above our rot
Say, too good for us, far too advanced
Too much bound to Excellence and Honour
And a public garment without a blot

He expends state funds on the road to the Future
He never paves the way to our bottomless stomach
Yes, he expends state funds on the road to the Future
Whoever doesn’t know in the eating world
That the gut is a grand, demanding monarch

We asked for rice, he gave us Reason
We asked for booty, he gave us the Book
Say, we asked for rice, he gave Reason
We asked for booty, he gave us a book
So we trooped all out to cast our lot
For the side of the dark and loaded crook

The Damaged Good has riced its way
To the top of the brand
Alas, the Damaged Good has riced its way
Right to the top of the brand
Our feet stand askew
On our dark and traitored land

Come again soon, oh brief Renaissance
This interlude forebodes a trembling twilight
I say, come again, brief Renaissance
Sow rainbow stars in our darkening sky
Divine another Dawn, new and bright

2 Likes

Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by mandarin: 4:05pm On Jun 30, 2014
While I wish governor elect, Fayose well in delivering on ,his electioneering promises, I wish to see Ekiti that is focused and progressive.Before I conclude,let me state that the civil servants/teachers were the undoing of Fayemi who wanted to bring change by thinking outside the box but was too un-tactical to throw the box to his competitor!!! He wanted change but could not satiate the ever selfish political class and civil servants. Fayose should balance the two.I wish him the best.
Meanwhile the dichotomy in the Yoruba mindset and mentality is open to be exploited by the smart or closed by the opposition party in the state, the APC. This is also a call to close rank in Ogun to avert another loss, Tinubu and Osoba should support Amosun to deliver more to the peolple and relegate power play for the good of their party and the citizens.

Ayekotoo: We came into office and stayed faithful to our manifesto. We stayed faithful to our promise to our people. What we now see is an absurd conclusion that has been reached especially by the Peoples Democratic Party. The absurdity in this logic is that how do you say a governor who has performed and introduced a welfare policy, the first of its kind in Nigeria was rejected? As part of the policy of his party, he promised free and qualitative education and in the pursuit of that abolished schools fees, built new schools, paid teachers regularly but when the students were failing their exams decided to find out what was wrong. The administration introduced assessment examinations but the teachers purportedly don’t like this. If we accept this, we are going to enthrone a kind of government that will buckle under the whims and caprices of any pressure group, however, unreasonable their position may be. This to me is worrisome.-- APC
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by mandarin: 4:07pm On Jun 30, 2014
oduastates: What dichotomy are you talking about?
The ekitis sold their future for a quarter bag of rice .
It is this same refusal to imbibe the core omoluabi values which makes the ekiti diaspora to avoid the place like a plague.
Fayemi came and made the place liveable just like amosun is doing in ogun state.This will automatically lead to more people visiting and even more investing at home.
Alas,it is not good enough. ,the former way of

1Having beer parlour on every corner,
2goats ,dogs and pigs on the residential streets ,
3 Okada drivers constituting a nuisance ,
4 useless teacher/civil servant who go to work to trade rather than render services .

Someone wrote something online and i agree .
Fayemi should handover all the schools back to the missionaries .
that way,you can start reducing the population of the stupid .

This peom is from an ekiti professor who I guess is what they refer to as ,a foreign ekitis.

professor Osundare poem captures it perfectly.

A-RICE, oh compatriots
Your stomach’s call obey
Say, A-RICE, oh compatriots
Your stomach’s call obey
Hold out your bowls for the golden grains
Pawn your pride without delay

Grab your bribe and dance in the street
Yes, grab your bribe and dance in the streets
Bend your back for his heavy ride
Your golden rice is your sole demand

The Riceman is here, your lord and saviour
Say, the Riceman is here, your lord and saviour
Eat your rice and belch like a bull
And give your guts the forgetful lift

The passage down the gullet
Yes, the passage down the gullet
To those held hostage by their shameless guts
There is no nirvana like the seething toilet

II

Cunning Riceman with bags
Say, cunning Riceman with bags
His first coming left us all
In ashes and fluttering rags

Brazen murders, strange disappearances:
Yes, brazen murders, strange disappearances
But he has an arsenal of cash and rice
Both so vital in these degenerate times

Rabble-rousing, clowning, scheming
Yes, rabble-rousing, clowning, scheming
Yesterday’s fruits still stir the leaves
On History’s bewildering tree

Here, once again,
Say, here, once, again,
Mindless applause from a captive audience
Chloroformed puppets of a wily victor

III

They sold their birth right
For a kongo* of rice
Alas, they sold their birth right
For a kongo of rice
This mindless commerce
Will come at a heavy price

Erstwhile Knowledge Fountain
Alas, erstwhile Knowledge Fountain
The Book, once robust, resurgent,
Has been voted out of our daily needs

They sold us a lemon; we emptied
Alas, they sold us a lemon; we emptied
The will powerful guns could not subdue
Now lies suborned by a spoonful of rice

Poverty so desperate, so demeaning,
Yes, Poverty, so desperate, so demeaning,
The pride we once extolled is vanishing fast
From the face of our stunned, corrupted earth

*Kongo: a small tin, plastic, or calabash container used for measuring peas and grains in market sales.

IV

Too good for us, far too advanced
Say, too good for us, far too advanced
Too much bound to Excellence and Honour
And a public garment without a blot

He expends state funds on the road to the Future
Yes, he expends state funds on the road to the Future
Whoever doesn’t know in the eating world
That the gut is a grand, demanding monarch

We asked for rice, he gave us Reason
We asked for booty, he gave us the Book
Say, we asked for rice, he gave Reason
We asked for booty, he gave us a book
So we trooped all out to cast our lot
For the side of the dark and loaded crook

The Damaged Good has riced its way
To the top of the brand
Alas, the Damaged Good has riced its way
Right to the top of the brand
Our feet stand askew
On our dark and traitored land

Come again soon, oh brief Renaissance
I say, come again, brief Renaissance
Sow rainbow stars in our darkening sky
Divine another Dawn, new and bright

I wondered why EKITI I know would ever vote for a personality as controversial as Fayose who is being accussed of many finacial malpractices during his first term in office. The Ekiti, the land of HONOUR has seemed lost that honor to the popular Stomach infrastructure? All the home trainings and the open honesty of the state indigines are now questionable. Some 20years past, Fayose would not have won an election, something has gone wrong!! Ekiti people are arrogantly averse to dishonesty, cheating and any shadow of stealing or corruption.The question is Has politics change all those attributes?

1 Like

Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by RedReact: 4:09pm On Jun 30, 2014
mandarin: While I wish governor elect, Fayose well in delivering on ,his electioneering promises, I wish to see Ekiti that is focused and progressive.Before I conclude,let me state that the civil servants/teachers were the undoing of Fayemi who wanted to bring change by thinking outside the box but was too un-tactical to throw the box to his competitor!!! He wanted change but could not satiate the ever selfish political class and civil servants. Fayose should balance the two.I wish him the best.

We are not ready for change at all, and that was what the people demonstrated. Corruption is not the xter of our leaders alone, but also in the led too.
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by mandarin: 4:31pm On Jun 30, 2014

Asiwaju Tinubu's schemes which was driven with confidence and his own ,political sagacity rooted for the incunmbent governor as candidate of the APC against the resentment of a portion of his own party to have a primary election which led to the division in the rank of the party. The Tinubu factor was a step too far, how? the mentality and mindset of Ekiti have historical aversiveness against any too larger than life personality just like the Lord of the land played out by the Ibadan wishing to subjugate the Ekiti in the times of old,although we have to collectively credit the Jagaban of giving us Governor Fashola and others who have demostrated their intellectual capacity to deliver more than we have had in the past. Inthe same vein, Tinubu's presentation of Fayemi was received with sceptism by the populace which to them was a go slow man.
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by honeric01(m): 4:44pm On Jun 30, 2014
How much does it cost to lay an Ekiti woman for 4 years? 4 derica of rice be it married or single

How much is the total value of an Ekiti man for 4 years? 4 derica of rice

I didn't say this, the election result/incident said so!
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by mandarin: 4:53pm On Jun 30, 2014
honeric01: How much does it cost to lay an Ekiti woman for 4 years? 4 derica of rice be it married or single

How much is the total value of an Ekiti man for 4 years? 4 derica of rice

I didn't say this, the election result/incident said so!

It goes beyond rice. However it throws light on the likely destitution in our society which is fast eroding our value system.This had ,made many go into prostitution, some into importing fake drugs etc. its appalling!

2 Likes

Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jun 30, 2014
mandarin:

It goes beyond rice. However it throws light on the likely destitution in our society which is fast eroding our value system.This had ,made many go into prostitution, some into importing fake drugs etc. its appalling!

Politics used to be based on the power of ideas, it is now based on who shares the largest amount of rice. If this were to be on evolutionary scale, it will the equivalent of a man going back to being a monkey.
This is the story of Nigerian politics not just Ekiti.
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by Ayekotoo(m): 8:14pm On Jun 30, 2014
Ikengawo:
APC is stronger in Osun than Ekiti and I think they'll win that state. Aregbesola plays the type of politics that could even see him succeed Tinubu in leadership of the region
Even though, I don't agree with most of your contributions, I sincerely concur with this
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by Ayekotoo(m): 8:24pm On Jun 30, 2014
The logical consequence of this kind of thing is that in the future, governors might not even bother providing infrastructure, building capacity or improving the education system. If all he needs for re-election is to satisfy a vocal minority and put money in the pockets of a few people. This is what is most painful to us.
However, I think we’ve been able to convince Nigerians that for us, politics is not a do-or-die affair; for us the will of the people is supreme. What this means again is that democracy might not necessarily be a contest for good governance-- APC
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by Curlieweed: 9:22pm On Jun 30, 2014
Ayekotoo: The logical consequence of this kind of thing is that in the future, governors might not even bother providing infrastructure, building capacity or improving the education system. If all he needs for re-election is to satisfy a vocal minority and put money in the pockets of a few people. This is what is most painful to us.
However, I think we’ve been able to convince Nigerians that for us, politics is not a do-or-die affair; for us the will of the people is supreme. What this means again is that democracy might not necessarily be a contest for good governance-- APC

@the highlighted, one of the few times when APC could be right (amazing).

To quote a certain politician.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.”
Winston Churchill
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by aresa: 9:43pm On Jun 30, 2014
I just cringe every time I hear the silly grassroots and closer to the people rubbish and how Fayemi goofed for not pandering.

How do you work tirelessly for the same grassroots by giving them good roads to walk and drive on, infrastructures to better their lives and create jobs, give the old folks social security benefits every month unfailingly, making sure school students get quality education and credible teachers, strong and productive civil service.

I mean, who stand to gain from a responsible and productive administration? The same grassroots right?

The only interpretation here is the man didn't share the state's money with them, he speaks big English which is the lousiest absurdity because Ekiti is supposed to be Nigerian's fountain of knowledge and Education.

They can not have it both ways, they can not in one breath yarn for development and at the same time want that development money in their pockets or in form of bags of rice and other crumbs.

APC shouldn't compromise their standards no matter what, it's not by force to win elections.

Fayemi not only performed, he performed honorable and effectively, that they can not take away from him. He wasn't voted into office to share rice and taxpayers money.

1 Like

Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by aresa: 9:56pm On Jun 30, 2014

They have propounded a new definition for infrastructure. They call it the infrastructure of the stomach or “stomachstructure”.

By this, they assert that although the incumbent has built schools, hospitals, markets, tourist complexes and other infrastructure that provide a system for organising the economic development and affairs of Ekiti, to create direct and consequential jobs for construction workers, architects, quantity surveyors, school teachers, doctors, and even employees of banks that lend money to finance these projects; the party of the governor elect would rather not do that.

They say, by their own methods, these things do not matter in any gubernatorial tenure.

Do nothing, gather money, buy rice, stop at a few local pubs to show you are ordinary (maybe without shoes) and distribute money and rice to the “grassroots”, and you are sure to get to Government House; and this is the plan for the whole of the South-west and the presidency.

This ideology will quieten those who ask why there is no electricity or why we can’t find the Chibok girls or indeed why audit reports on $20 billion or $10 billion should not matter.

It should quieten the rich and the poor who now live in fear of insecurity.
Indeed all those who are looking for employment and those who have died in the process should simply tarry a while. The money and rice are on their way.

If you still do not see the ideological difference on economic issues, let me spell it out in other words.

The party of the governor elect appear to agree with the party of the incumbent governor, that the poor matter and that indeed something should be done for them. What they disagree about, is what should be done.

The party of the incumbent governor argues that through new schools, new roads, new hospitals, tourism development and physical infrastructure renewal, the fortunes of Ekiti people will get better economically and developmentally; because, skills will be created and honed, services will be offered, jobs would be delivered on a sustainable basis.

On the contrary, the party of the governor elect argues that a once-in-four-year fix of dash, cash and inducement is what the people prefer. The people of Ekiti seem to have chosen this economic ideology by the “votes” of June 21, 2014

It may well be that the party of the governor elect may be right in their assessment of what the people of Ekiti and by extension Nigerians want, this would make any inquiry appropriate because; it may compel a change of strategy for many political parties.

It should make governance a lot easier if they were right. Do nothing, put money together, share it a few weeks to election, strut to Government House, and why should you bother about agriculture, electricity, housing, security, healthcare and more?

After all, everybody has been paid in advance to go and fix these problems by themselves. They will not matter, we will see them in another four years and rule again for the next 60 years, or indeed for eternity.

Article written By Babatunde Fashola, the governor of Lagos State and Culled from Thisday Newspaper..

1 Like

Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by emmatok(m): 10:27pm On Jun 30, 2014
mandarin:

I've taken a look at the socio- psychological marks across the land and it doesn't take anything away that Ekiti is pro-Yoruba stronghold. But why on earth was it shaken?

EKITI are still 100% pro Yoruba, but Ekiti is similar to ONDO and IJEBUs.
They find it difficult to accept TINUBU as Yoruba Leader.
Remember most APC guys were busy insulting AFENIFERE and AWOLOWO family, attracting the anger of most Yorubas.
Summary,
Ekiti did not reject Fayemi or APC.
Ekitis rejected TINUBU.

2 Likes

Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by aresa: 10:52pm On Jun 30, 2014
emmatok:

EKITI are still 100% pro Yoruba, but Ekiti is similar to ONDO and IJEBUs.
They find it difficult to accept TINUBU as Yoruba Leader.
Remember most APC guys were busy insulting AFENIFERE and AWOLOWO family, attracting the anger of most Yorubas.
Summary,
Ekiti did not reject Fayemi or APC.
Ekitis rejected TINUBU.

We've read a lot about the elections and we've heard from the people of Ekiti detailing the reasons why they voted against Fayemi and Tinubu's name didn't surface, not once.

I don't even know what Ijebu and Ondo people got to do with Ekiti people's need for stomach infrastructures and crumbs?

You people give Tinubu too much credit...
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jun 30, 2014
[size=14pt]I was in Ekiti during this election time period and NO ONE gave any indication that Awolowo and Anifere influenced their decision. You guys, Ibos and Yorubas alike, put too much emphasis on tribal sentiments when electing and choosing a leader. Many Ekitis voted based on who they thought had "BETTER" credentials to LEAD (not RULE) them into development.

Let's sway ourselves away from tribal sentiments when picking leaders. Let's think about merit and qualifications.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by Ikengawo: 11:18pm On Jun 30, 2014
what does ekitiparapo mean in yoruba exactly?

it sound like the igbo ekitikporakpo (Ekiti has left/Ekiti is excluded)

sometime I catch these language similarities between the two and i'm surprised nobody else ever does or none of our 'universities' have conducted studies on them.

Useless the meaning isn't similar at all.
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by Ikengawo: 11:20pm On Jun 30, 2014
Ilekere: [size=14pt]I was in Ekiti during this election time period and NO ONE gave any indication that Awolowo and Anifere influenced their decision. You guys, Ibos and Yorubas alike, put too much emphasis on tribal sentiments when electing and choosing a leader. Many Ekitis voted based on who they thought had "BETTER" credentials to LEAD (not RULE) them into development.

Let's sway ourselves away from tribal sentiments when picking leaders. Let's think about merit and qualifications.[/size]

i also think it's foolish that we're acting like Fayose's victory was some type of fluke or political miscalculation, or worst a mark of something being 'wrong' with ekiti people. this is democracy, both guys had 1 term to show themselves prior so ekiti's people were in an excellent position to compare, contrast and chose. No candidate was a stranger to the electorate and has equal chance to shine prior. if there has been a clear and balanced election in nigeria it was this one.
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jun 30, 2014
Ikengawo:

i also think it's foolish that we're acting like Fayose's victory was some type of fluke or political miscalculation, or worst a mark of something being 'wrong' with ekiti people. this is democracy, both guys had 1 term to show themselves prior so ekiti's people were in an excellent position to compare, contrast and chose. No candidate was a stranger to the electorate and has equal chance to shine prior. if there has been a clear and balanced election in nigeria it was this one.

I know that this isn't Ikengawo but you're right all the same.
Re: Ekitiparapo,the Dichotomy Of Yoruba Ideology by emmatok(m): 11:33pm On Jun 30, 2014
aresa:

We've read a lot about the elections and we've heard from the people of Ekiti detailing the reasons why they voted against Fayemi and Tinubu's name didn't surface, not once.

I don't even know what Ijebu and Ondo people got to do with Ekiti people's need for stomach infrastructures and crumbs?

You people give Tinubu too much credit...

Tinubu earned much credits, but most Yoruba feels he is oversteping for Political gains.
You probably forgot that the same TINUBU was running from one OBA to another, with attacks on OBAs he feel are not supporting him.
Did you notice the division between Olubadan and ALAAFIN .
And how GEJ and TINUBU are using them?

When was the last time you heard Afenifere say anything positive about TINUBU.

Politics these days is beyond voting but about swaying voters.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid / The 10 Sins Of President Jonathan: Why He Must Not Return / WAEC Officially Responds To Request For Copies Of Buhari's Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.