Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,231 members, 7,811,643 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid (2029 Views)

Jonathan Vows To Arrest And Deal With Those Behind ING / 2015: Jonathan Vows To Crack Down On Troublemakers / Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by DaBullIT(m): 12:08am On Nov 13, 2014
ABUJA (Reuters) - President Goodluck Jonathan promised Nigerians on Tuesday he would fight corruption and defeat the Islamist Boko Haram insurgency as he announced his bid to win a second term at the head of Africa's biggest economy in a February election.

A southern Christian president heading Africa's top oil producer, Jonathan is seen as a strong incumbent despite a raft of multi-billion-dollar oil scandals and his government's inability so far to end the five-year-old insurgency waged by Boko Haram, mostly in the Muslim north.

"After listening to the clarion call of Nigerians, I have accepted to present myself to serve a second term," Jonathan told cheering supporters at a rally in the capital, Abuja.

His widely expected announcement was a formality after he had already picked up nomination papers from his ruling People's Democratic Party (PDP) last month, signaling his intent to run.

Jonathan is seen as favorite because elections in the oil-dependent nation are fought more on the basis of political patronage than on policy. He will also be helped by a divided opposition which is still to chose his main challenger.

But he faces fierce criticism at home and abroad for failing to rein in corruption and guarantee security for all Nigerians.

Jonathan's announcement came a day after a suspected Boko Haram suicide bomber attacked a school in the northeast town of Potiskum, killing at least 48 people.

The president said Boko Haram, which has announced the creation of an Islamic caliphate after capturing territory in the remote northeast, had cast a dark cloud over the country.

DAILY ATTACKS

A ceasefire with the group unilaterally announced by his government last month has failed to stop almost daily attacks, which have included the mid-April abduction by Boko Haram of more than 200 schoolgirls from a northeastern town.

"We will surely get our daughters freed and defeat terror in our country," Jonathan said.

Despite pledges of help from the United States, Britain, France and Israel in the war against Boko Haram, there are fears that violence will increase in the run-up to the February vote as political tensions heighten ethnic and religious differences.

Jonathan's government has also come under pressure to prop up the local naira currency which has fallen over 6 percent this year due to a decline in oil prices for the crude exports on which the country depends.

The sharp drop in global oil prices has raised the twin specters of a potential currency devaluation and budget shortfalls but analysts have said it is unlikely the currency will be devalued before the election.

Jonathan's administration has also faced accusations of not doing enough to stamp out endemic corruption, including billions of dollars of oil revenues that have been reported missing.

"Corruption is one of the major stains in our country," Jonathan said, promising to prosecute corrupt officials.

In the ranks of the main opposition All Progressives Congress, the top contenders for the presidential ticket next year are former military ruler Muhammadu Buhari and recently defected vice president Atiku Abubakar, both Muslim northerners.

In 2011, Buhari's defeat at the hands of Jonathan triggered three days of bloodshed that left 800 dead and 65,000 displaced.

(Additional reporting and writing by Bate Felix in Lagos; Editing by Pascal Fletcher and Giles Elgood)

Do you believe

Source http://news.yahoo.com/nigerias-jonathan-says-seek-second-term-february-2015-131515999.html
Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by Kanwulia: 12:14am On Nov 13, 2014
After 6 years of PHOCKING around from minister to minister. . . . MALUS and SHEMALUS included? cheesy

10 YEARS A DUNCE! grin

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by oduastates: 12:20am On Nov 13, 2014
Duh.
Dunno
Dullard
Dumbo

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by raumdeuter: 12:22am On Nov 13, 2014
Didn't he say the same thing 4 years ago?

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by DaBullIT(m): 12:29am On Nov 13, 2014
[size=20pt]Personally, i do not believe this Mumu, Saturday wey go sweet , na friday them dey know , several years and he couldn't end BH , he can't end it in his second term, and that makes me remember a comment on facebook that BH was created by PDP, just like the 2nd or 3rd season in 24 , You create terror, you end it , you become a hero , except that this terror evolved into a monster they can't control [/size]

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by JEITO: 12:53am On Nov 13, 2014
I see a man that has realised that there is no retreat, no surrender, no going back. The war against terror and corruption must be fought with doggedness and won. He won't give up, he'll fight even if it will cost him his life; and to be frank, anything is possible if you are determined to achieve it.....ask kanu nwankwo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by Nobody: 1:11am On Nov 13, 2014
...and the same old set of promises have been given again.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by Pataki: 1:20am On Nov 13, 2014
Just perhaps people of this great forum have forgotten; this same President Jonathan told us in April 2012 - Boko Haram will cease to exist by June 2012!

So what has changed?

Foolish and empty promise from his vacuous head again.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by egift(m): 4:03am On Nov 13, 2014
Jonathan making the same promises he made in 2011 election. So was he drunk in the last 4 years?

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by eleojo23: 4:09am On Nov 13, 2014
Watching...
Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by Pangea: 5:29am On Nov 13, 2014
Fool me once,
Shame on you!
Fool me twice?
Shame on me!

That's all I will say about the report!

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by focus7: 5:39am On Nov 13, 2014
Only a fool will believe the competence of Jonathan to be able to deal with corruption. He has involved himself to deep to isolate himself now. Will he now go against his wife or the petroleum minister and his allies? Abeegi Jonathan is a lair.
Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by mrvitalis(m): 6:29am On Nov 13, 2014
mr president only a fool will believe u
pls dre should be a primary school close to aso rock
...go to primary 1A buy then sweet and biscuit and tell this lie to them ooh

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by Olaolufred(m): 6:35am On Nov 13, 2014
mrvitalis:
mr president only a fool will believe u
pls dre should be a primary school close to aso rock
...go to primary 1A buy then sweet and biscuit and tell this lie to them ooh

[size=14pt] EBELE JONA KNOWS OVER 80% OF NIGERIANS ARE FOOLS.
HE UNDERSTANDS THAT THIS IS THE PERCENTAGE HE NEEDS TO WIN. FOOLISH PEOPLE PRODUCING FOOLISH LEADERS.[/size]

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by egift(m): 6:38am On Nov 13, 2014
eleojo23:
Watching...

1. As Vice President, he did nothing (except going to the jungle and invite his boys for Amnesty money). We said let watch.
2. As Acting President, he could not even hold FEC meeting because Mrs. Turai left him in the kitchen. Nigerians watch helplessly.
3. He was made Substantial President, he still did nothing. He promised that if only he had a tenure of his own.
4. In 2011, he was elected President, Nigerians have watched as fellow citizens are slaughtered and he even handed some territories to Terrorists.
5. Now after 6 years of watching you want us to start afresh to watch - What do you take us for?

Jonathan We Are Not Watching Again. Pack your loads and head home.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by mrvitalis(m): 6:42am On Nov 13, 2014
Olaolufred:

[size=14pt] EBELE JONA KNOWS OVER 80% OF NIGERIANS ARE FOOLS.
HE UNDERSTANDS THAT THIS IS THE PERCENTAGE HE NEEDS TO WIN. FOOLISH PEOPLE PRODUCING FOOLISH LEADERS.[/size]
we will shock him come 2015

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by size38: 6:44am On Nov 13, 2014
This mumu man should take his things and leave Aso Rock immediately. This GEJ no get sense at all. No wonder Nigerians insults him day and nite

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by Amanwulu1(m): 6:44am On Nov 13, 2014
K
Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by eleojo23: 7:11am On Nov 13, 2014
egift:

5. Now after 6 years of watching you want us to start afresh to watch - What do you take us for?

I still don't know why you quoted me. I simply typed watching... without even stating what I meant by that and you went ahead to write this essay? I'm still watching...
Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by kazmanbanjoko(m): 7:20am On Nov 13, 2014
I heard that in 2011. Same tin yu are saying again. Yu are so deceptive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by sammyyoung2(m): 7:26am On Nov 13, 2014
I laugh in pidgin
Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by Youngzedd(m): 7:27am On Nov 13, 2014
What a joker.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by Youngzedd(m): 7:28am On Nov 13, 2014
mrvitalis:

we will shock him come 2015

Condition: Only if APC choose Rochas.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:33am On Nov 13, 2014
Studies and experience have shown that the performance of politicians drop in their second terms. You can imagine the type of Nigeria we will have in the next four years if Jonathan rigs and wins in 2015.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by Youngzedd(m): 7:45am On Nov 13, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
Studies and experience have shown that the performance of politicians drop in their second terms. You can imagine the type of Nigeria we will have in the next four years if Jonathan rigs and win in 20!5.

Exactly.

Second tenure is just waste of time.
Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by Canme4u(m): 7:46am On Nov 13, 2014
This man must be clueless if he still can't understand the fact that NIGERIAns are tired of his government.

#KICKoutALLtheCLUELESSNESScomes2015

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by Kunleskey(m): 7:47am On Nov 13, 2014
A fool WILL ALWAYs be fooling fools why can't he do it in the first place

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by Nobody: 8:00am On Nov 13, 2014
Same old shìt......just a different day

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by bymigokeph: 8:53am On Nov 13, 2014
egift:

1. As Vice President, he did nothing (except going to the jungle and invite his boys for Amnesty money). We said let watch.
2. As Acting President, he could not even hold FEC meeting because Mrs. Turai left him in the kitchen. Nigerians watch helplessly.
3. He was made Substantial President, he still did nothing. He promised that if only he had a tenure of his own.
4. In 2011, he was elected President, Nigerians have watched as fellow citizens are slaughtered and he even handed some territories to Terrorists.

since Jonathan has failed dats d more reason he should re-contest so he can pass or fail again den we'll knw. my dear wen u failed dat cuz in ur UNI. didn't u rewrite it

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by Nobody: 9:03am On Nov 13, 2014
What you couldn't do in your first term. Now I know why the progressives call you the "Clueless One"

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by vicadex07(m): 9:10am On Nov 13, 2014
So Nigeria has become Jonathans personal project where he has to do trial by error with peoples lives and future before he finally gets it right abi
You have a really dumb sense of reasoning

bymigokeph:

since Jonathan has failed dats d more reason he should re-contest so he can pass or fail again den we'll knw. my dear wen u failed dat cuz in ur UNI. didn't u rewrite it

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid by egift(m): 9:13am On Nov 13, 2014
[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/1522933_jonathan-campaign-cartoon_jpeg36acd7e3f8d3e2a8203f629f7d473e6f[/img]

bymigokeph:

This is the most Horrible Comment ever made by Living creature on this planet. Invite him to continue his failure in your community. Glad you know he has failed.

"No matter how long you queue behind a broken vehicle, you cannot move forward" - Egift 2014

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The 10 Sins Of President Jonathan: Why He Must Not Return / Just Read This Intelligent Twitter Conversation With Ahmad Salkida On Boko Haram / Video: See What Two Nigeria Ladies Did To A Rich Man After Clubbing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.