Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,925 members, 7,817,711 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor (21419 Views)

Obasa Emerges Lagos Speaker / Live Update Of Lagos One Million Match / Fashola Receives One Day Governor. Oluwatoyin Adeosun.(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by emmaliveth10(m): 12:46am On Jul 01, 2014
LAGOS— A 15-year-old Master Edun Olabanji of Army Children’s Senior Secondary School, Onigbongbo, yesterday, assumed office as Lagos State “One-Day Governor” at Alausa, Ikeja.
Meantime, Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, reiterated his administration’s commitment to continue to give priority attention to the education sector, saying students from the state public schools are now academic champions winning national competition awards.
Fashola said this when he received Olabanji, accompanied by his parents, who came first in the competition, initiated in 2001 by New Era Foundation under the leadership of Senator Oluremi Tinubu.
Fashola vacated his seat for the young Olabanji, whose father is a carpenter and mother, a refuse truck driver with Lagos Waste Management Agency (LAWMA), to preside over Lagos State Executive Council meeting at the Exco Chamber with his Deputy Opeyemi Blessing of Keme Balogun College at Igbogbo, Ikorodu and Macaulay Elijah Ayodele of Ojota Senior Secondary School.
He said the traditional thing prevalent in the country with a change of government would have been to quickly do away with the idea, saying he retained the One‑Day Governor initiative of his predecessor because of its positive impacts in the lives of the students who participate in the competitions.
According to him, “the seed that has been sown will germinate in ways we cannot contemplate, seeds of career choice decisions whether to serve in public sector or private sector.
“One thing that we need to point out is that the state’s public education system is producing excellent results. This is in spite of its challenges. Of the 14,000 schools in the state, it is only about 2,000 that belongs to the government.
“But those 2,000 schools are the ones that are providing free education where free textbooks are given, where tuition is free, where children participate in different clubs, climate change clubs, farmer’s club, Energy club and Be Road Friendly Club. This happens at no cost to the children.
“It is not only one day governor that we celebrate. We celebrate Master David, a national champion in Physics in the NNPC science competition tested against other students in Nigeria.”
He said story of the success of the children from the state educational system has spurred them to remain focussed, saying other potentials will mature in the fullness of time.
Fashola explained that the state education system thrives on diversity, saying the education process is merit driven, ethnic, religious and gender blind but simply developing younger generation for a greater tomorrow.
The governor stressed that his administration had ensured that no child desirous of having education had been left behind, saying that explains why the one day governor, whose father is a carpenter and mother, a refuse truck driver with Lagos Waste Management Agency (LAWMA), could emerge the winner of the competition.

www.vanguardngr.com/2014/07/carpenters-son-emerges-lagos-one-day-governor/

16 Likes

Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by konjakonja(m): 2:15am On Jul 01, 2014
Q
Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by switsoda(m): 2:29am On Jul 01, 2014
The future of the boy is as bright as stars

14 Likes

Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by redsquare(m): 2:35am On Jul 01, 2014
Nigerians and wack journalism. What has the fathers profession has to do with the caption? Must they tell us the boys' father is a carpenter? It would have been more appropriate to say '15 year old Edun Olabanji..........'.

9 Likes

Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by ayukdaboss(m): 2:44am On Jul 01, 2014
t
Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by oduastates: 3:36am On Jul 01, 2014
redsquare: Nigerians and wack journalism. What has the fathers profession has to do with the caption? Must they tell us the boys' father is a carpenter? It would have been more appropriate to say '15 year old Edun Olabanji..........'.

Only in nigeria will someone regard a carpenter as less desirable.
Even In Nigeria, they are doing better than most.
One thing for sure , they are definitely not queuing up for a Congo of rice or indomie.
Who told you that carpentry is a bad profession?
Carry ya big head go Europe ,The Americas or Australia and you will find yourself becoming that carpenter's cleaner.
The kid's parents are actually doing socially useful jobs which are highly desired in the society
Far more desirable than most office workers.

27 Likes

Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by Smartsyn(m): 3:37am On Jul 01, 2014
Was he given access to the state treasury?

Got me thinking, what i ll do if am to be a governor for just a day..

7 Likes

Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by aresa: 4:22am On Jul 01, 2014
redsquare: Nigerians and wack journalism. What has the fathers profession has to do with the caption? Must they tell us the boys' father is a carpenter? It would have been more appropriate to say '15 year old Edun Olabanji..........'.

It makes a lot of difference because it's very inspiring. This is telling other kids that they can succeed regardless of their poor or rich up bringing or economic status.

Even your president said the same thing to Nigerian kids that they can succeed in life just like him because he came from poor and humble upbringing and he was shoe less as a kid.

Olabanji is the son of a truck driver mother with the Lagos State Waste Management, Mrs Blessing Edun, and a cabinet maker father, Mr Olasukanmi Edun.

22 Likes

Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by aresa: 4:24am On Jul 01, 2014
oduastates:

Only in nigeria will someone regard a carpenter as less desirable.
Even In Nigeria, they are doing better than most.
One thing for sure , they are definitely not queuing up for a Congo of rice or indomie.
Who told you that carpentry is a bad profession?
Carry ya big head go Europe ,The Americas or Australia and you will find yourself becoming that carpenter's cleaner.
The kid's parents are actually doing socially useful jobs which are highly desired in the society
Far more desirable than most office workers.

They didn't say carpentry was less desirable so stop making things up.

5 Likes

Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by aresa: 4:32am On Jul 01, 2014

It takes a village to raise a kid as they say.

Behind every successful kid, there are good parents, teachers, mentors and hard working public officials.

The one day governors are winners of the Lagos state spelling bee competition.

In the picture are the founder and the woman behind the spelling bee competition and the one day governor program. Senator Remi Tinubu and her One day governor Team who are kids from all over Lagos state.
Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by aresa: 4:38am On Jul 01, 2014

The guy in blue shirt (Chukwuebuka Anisiobi) next to Mrs Tinubu was the first winner of the competition. He later graduated from OAU and Mrs Tinubu sponsored him all the way.

6 Likes

Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by aresa: 4:39am On Jul 01, 2014

The lucky young man and his Cabinet.

9 Likes

Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by Omexonomy: 6:57am On Jul 01, 2014
Will he be allow to loot and steal from the treasury just like tinubu fashola and the future ambode?

3 Likes

Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by Diamonddamsel: 6:59am On Jul 01, 2014
So inspiring.God bless u dear.

3 Likes

Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by 500GPA: 7:01am On Jul 01, 2014
I THOUGHT THAT THE BOY THAT EMERGED AS A ONE-DAY GOVERNOR IS A IBO BOY.

#THIS IS MARGINALISATION OF IBO. OHANEZE MUST ISSUE ULTIMATUM.

4 Likes

Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by Just20(f): 7:01am On Jul 01, 2014
Good initiative...it will inculcate self confidence in this young chap and self confidence is key in this life oh. Congrats
Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by bruno419(m): 7:02am On Jul 01, 2014
if Na me.I go appoint my father as the state treasurer den I go build governors hauz in my compound same day...Lagos state go go bankruptcy!

1 Like

Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by BrAkingNews: 7:03am On Jul 01, 2014
ok
Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by Nobody: 7:03am On Jul 01, 2014
I sexyseun as one day governor:

1. I will call for an emergency meeting inviting all the top shots in the cabinets and pally with them

2. I will increase my daily allowance to 100Million which must be paid immediately into my GTBank Account

3. I will release funds for the development of a new pet project called "Seun Shall Grow" this project is to eradicate prostitution, it will cost me 23Billion Naira.

4. I will sign an agreement between the govt and the past "one day governor" for monthly stipend of 5Million naira, this should help the past "one day governors" to focus more on their studies effectively

5. Finally i will make sure i create a new levy database for all the women who wishes to find their true husband via me, once you are interested you pay a token fee of 500,000naira

18 Likes

Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by Nobody: 7:03am On Jul 01, 2014
Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by DEngineer(m): 7:04am On Jul 01, 2014
Not the proper way to encourage education......
Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by buoye1(m): 7:10am On Jul 01, 2014
Poverty is a disease
bruno419: if Na me.I go appoint my father as the state treasurer den I go build governors hauz in my compound same day...Lagos state go go bankruptcy!

1 Like

Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by disloman(m): 7:11am On Jul 01, 2014
D-Engineer:
Not the proper way to encourage education......
Give us a proper way education can encouraged.
Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by ignis: 7:12am On Jul 01, 2014
I guess full access will not be given to this young chap.
Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by Hardheolar(m): 7:14am On Jul 01, 2014
Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by Hardheolar(m): 7:15am On Jul 01, 2014
sexyseun: I sexyseun as one day governor:

1. I will call for an emergency meeting inviting all the top shots in the cabinets and pally with them

2. I will increase my daily allowance to 100Million which must be paid immediately into my GTBank Account

3. I will release funds for the development of a new pet project called "Seun Shall Grow" this project is to eradicate prostitution, it will cost me 23Billion Naira.

4. I will sign an agreement between the govt and the past "one day governor" for monthly stipend of 5Million naira, this should help the past "one day governors" to focus more on their studies effectively

5. Finally i will make sure i create a new levy database for all the women who wishes to find their true husband via me, once you are interested you pay a token fee of 500,000naira
Chai.... SMH
Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by temitemi1(m): 7:20am On Jul 01, 2014
Why looking like tinubu when fashola is d incubent governor
Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by Innodon(m): 7:22am On Jul 01, 2014
Good luck to him
Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by Izunwa(m): 7:22am On Jul 01, 2014
Congrats to him, make dem no try God by giving this type of opportunity to me cos I'll make Abacha, Babangida and OBJ lootings combined look like a child's play .

Fashola, how do you feel with that photo of Oga GEJ starring @ you in your office everyday . Whether you and Amaechi likes it or not, Oga na Oga. If you say I lie oya remove am from that wall cheesy

1 Like

Re: Edun Olabanji Emerges Lagos One-day Governor by UnknownT: 7:24am On Jul 01, 2014
Tinubu's cap

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Buhari Didn't Invite Naomi Campbell To Eko Atlantic City Launch"- Bashir Ahmaad / NBC Shuts Down REACH FM, Okorocha's Radio Station In Imo State / Buhari Has Fulfilled His Promises To Ndigbo-obiano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.