Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,499 members, 7,836,943 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

How Do We End The Cold Civil War? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Do We End The Cold Civil War? (2415 Views)

Time To End The Bad Blood Between The Yorubas And Ndigbo - Femi Aribisala / Bokoharam Insurgency: Can We End It? / How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by DeepZone: 5:06am On Oct 06, 2008
How do we end this cold civil war among Nigerians called operation tribalism? It has dawned on me that tribalism is the major cause of disintegration and backwardness in Africa. Ibo is on yorubas neck, yoruba is on ibos neck, hausa is on yorubas neck, ibo is on hausas neck etc.

What are your suggestions because I thought that the younger generation of Nigerians see through the mist more than the older ones whose thoughts are beclouded by tribalism but my fear is that from my observation in Nairaland, it's even getting worse. A foreigner is more welcomed in Nigeria than fellow Nigerian. Why?

Fellow country men and women, what steps should we take to end this war both in Nairaland and outside this site?

Suggestions please.
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by Jakumo(m): 5:33am On Oct 06, 2008
Human nature will never change with respect to that instinctive need to look down on other humans, whether due to their appearance, their culture, the language they speak or the life-choices they make, so take your pick from this lavish buffet of hate, and settle into a steaming platter of racism, tribalism, ageism, homophobia or religious intolerance.

Bon apetit !
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by Nobody: 5:44am On Oct 06, 2008
My thoughts exactly!!!
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by blackspade(m): 5:45am On Oct 06, 2008
Promote "Nationalism" in all aspects of society.
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by DeepZone: 6:09am On Oct 06, 2008
Promote "Nationalism" in all aspects of society.

How will the younger generation of Nigerians achieve that? What is the Nigerian media doing to defuse this tribal tension because I really think they have a big role to play?
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by DeepZone: 6:10am On Oct 06, 2008
Human nature will never change with respect to that instinctive need to look down on other humans, whether due to their appearance, their culture, the language they speak or the life-choices they make, so take your pick from this lavish buffet of hate, and settle into a steaming platter of racism, tribalism, ageism, homophobia or religious intolerance.

But human nature can improve. There is still racism in America but it's not as bad as it was in the 70's and 60's. What happened to their unchangeable human nature?
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by Jarus(m): 7:16am On Oct 06, 2008
DeepZone:

How do we end this cold civil war among Nigerians called operation tribalism? It has dawned on me that tribalism is the major cause of disintegration and backwardness in Africa. Ibo is on yorubas neck, yoruba is on ibos neck, hausa is on yorubas neck, ibo is on hausas neck etc.

What are your suggestions because I thought that the younger generation of Nigerians see through the mist more than the older ones whose thoughts are beclouded by tribalism but my fear is that from my observation in Nairaland, it's even getting worse. A foreigner is more welcomed in Nigeria than fellow Nigerian. Why?

Fellow country men and women, what steps should we take to end this war both in Nairaland and outside this site?

Suggestions please.

Deepzone don born-again.

Solution to the problem? Let's start from the micro level, from Nairaland here. Let's ask that moderator delete topics that definitely have tribal-bashing undertone like:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-174668.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-179357.0.html
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by DeepZone: 8:24am On Oct 06, 2008
Deepzone don born-again.

I've always been like this. People shouldn't mix criticism with tribalism. We know the real tribalists here but I must say that you are among the very few here that contributes a constructive argument without an iota of tribalism. I think it'll be better you tell nairaland how you achieved that feat and whether it's by mind training, religion or you were that way from birth. It's a pity that even members here that are very religious quickly throw the religion out of the window whenever the issue of tribalism is at hand. I hope you are like that too outside nairaland.

Solution to the problem? Let's start from the micro level, from Nairaland here. Let's ask that moderator delete topics that definitely have tribal-bashing undertone like:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-174668.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-179357.0.html

What good will deleting the threads serve when the people here still bear their tribal grudges? You can wash a pig clean but it will still go back to the mud. Good idea tho.

Again, @McUsman, I surrender, call your brothers together and call off the cold war.
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by abdurrazaq(m): 8:49am On Oct 06, 2008
Wonders shall never end shocked angry lipsrsealed
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by Pataki: 9:06am On Oct 06, 2008
Even a Sovereign National Conference cannot resolve this dispute. undecided
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by MCUsman(m): 9:44am On Oct 06, 2008
Pataki:

Even a Sovereign National Conference cannot resolve this dispute. undecided

Then an alternative should be sought.
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by QuotaSyste(m): 11:13am On Oct 06, 2008
Reading through comments of Yorubas and awusas everyday here in nairaland and sometimes in some other nigerian forums, one can not help but confirm that there is no way the "cold civil war" to borrow your words can end as long as we all are clamped in this hellish union of a country called nigeria. Your parents have passed their hatred of Igbos down to you younger Yoruba and awusa generation as evidenced in your various posts here and the trend will continue and even be worse through to your next generation.
One thing that have always brought you nigerians together despite your differences from the Yorubas, awusas and down to all minority groups is the hatred of Igbos and this was passed unto you by your fathers who thought you that Igbo people are your problem.
Imagine some of you insinuating that Igbos must have to nominate their best candidate when it's their turn to become president of your silly country nigeria when since the independence of your country, all the leaders you have produced have been mediocre after mediocre, yet you still have the guts to ask Igbos to nominate their best for you or else, And this request for the best of the Igbos to rule was passed down to you by your fathers and it will continue from you to your next generation if that rubbish country still remain one then.

The awusas have at an extent have succeeded in holding/controlling the government of nigeria and arresting the development of southerners because in the south, all other groups from Yoruba to the minorities are afraid of Igbo domination and will rather be enslaved by the awusas than finding ways to work for the division of nigeria so they can go and manage themselves on their own. How can Igbo dominate you when you are not even in the same country with them? is that not the mind set of fools?
The minorities have always thought that in the event of division of nigeria that Igbos will conquer them and enslave them, but all this myth only exist inside their brains without any proof. Myopic thoughts like this are very much abound in some threads in this forum. back to your question again, the "cold civil war" shall continue until the demise of nigeria due to the unfounded suspicion of Igbo people by other groups from Yorubas, awusas and the minority goups.
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by Jarus(m): 12:26pm On Oct 06, 2008
DeepZone:

I've always been like this. People shouldn't mix criticism with tribalism. We know the real tribalists here but I must say that you are among the very few here that contributes a constructive argument without an iota of tribalism. I think it'll be better you tell nairaland how you achieved that feat and whether it's by mind training, religion or you were that way from birth. It's a pity that even members here that are very religious quickly throw the religion out of the window whenever the issue of tribalism is at hand. I hope you are like that too outside nairaland.

Hmmmmmmnnnnnnnn, I actually grew up being a die-hard tribalist. I only changed my tribalist orientation and mentality a few years ago. And it has more to do with religion than any other thing. After growing up and understanding Islam well, I shed my tribalist thinking because I got to know that Islam strictly warns against tribalism and other forms of sectionalism.

The fact however is, it takes discipline to extricate oneself from the stranglehold of tribalist mentality. Almost naturally, one grows up thinking his tribe is the best. The people one lives with affects one's mindset. I grew up hating Hausa, seeing them as illiterate abokis. I remember we also how we used mock ibos as OMO AJOKUTAMOMUMI(so strong that even if he eats stone, will not drink water).

I have defended Hausas, Yorubas and Ibos on this NL in recent past, despite being a Yoruba(and proud to be). Just purely out of what I considered objective, not because of association. For example, I have advanced arguments(just my opinion, not necessarily correct)on NL that Ibos has churned out more World Class Nigerians than any other tribe. The threads YORUBA MAN CAUGHT WITH HUMAN HEADS and WHO COULD THIS NORTHERN THIEF BE? are other threads I detest.
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by Fhemmmy: 2:54pm On Oct 06, 2008
In reality, it is not possible to end it, there is no way to end it, we can only try to reduce and minimize it.
To minimize it sef na big job but will think hard on it.
If you read some of the post on NL alone, you will know that tribalism has eating too deep into people's skin.
Yoruba only hires Yoruba, Ibo will only show ways to do good buz to Ibo, hausa will only give loan to hausa to buy cow.
So tell me, where and how do we start to get rid of all these? will be really hard, cos even within Yoruba, the disintegration is too much, an Ijesha man come home with ijebu woman for marriage, the parents of the boy already see a red flag.
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by tpia: 2:59pm On Oct 06, 2008
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by abdurrazaq(m): 4:58pm On Oct 06, 2008
Deepzone & Co. Change your attitude. You are responsible for more than half of religious/tribal cyber-wars on Nairaland. angry wink
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Oct 06, 2008
@post

I am not surprised that nigerians do not know what has been setting them back. . . . ignorant people i say.

Once again, get rid of bad leadership which breeds corruption, wickedness, laziness and poverty; i bet that most nigerians will forget which tribe they come from and begin to think more nationalistic.
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by DeepZone: 6:01pm On Oct 06, 2008
Reading through comments of Yorubas and awusas everyday here in nairaland and sometimes in some other nigerian forums, one can not help but confirm that there is no way the "cold civil war" to borrow your words can end as long as we all are clamped in this hellish union of a country called nigeria. Your parents have passed their hatred of Igbos down to you younger Yoruba and awusa generation as evidenced in your various posts here and the trend will continue and even be worse through to your next generation.
One thing that have always brought you nigerians together despite your differences from the Yorubas, awusas and down to all minority groups is the hatred of Igbos and this was passed unto you by your fathers who thought you that Igbo people are your problem.
Imagine some of you insinuating that Igbos must have to nominate their best candidate when it's their turn to become president of your silly country nigeria when since the independence of your country, all the leaders you have produced have been mediocre after mediocre, yet you still have the guts to ask Igbos to nominate their best for you or else, And this request for the best of the Igbos to rule was passed down to you by your fathers and it will continue from you to your next generation if that rubbish country still remain one then.

The awusas have at an extent have succeeded in holding/controlling the government of nigeria and arresting the development of southerners because in the south, all other groups from Yoruba to the minorities are afraid of Igbo domination and will rather be enslaved by the awusas than finding ways to work for the division of nigeria so they can go and manage themselves on their own. How can Igbo dominate you when you are not even in the same country with them? is that not the mind set of fools?
The minorities have always thought that in the event of division of nigeria that Igbos will conquer them and enslave them, but all this myth only exist inside their brains without any proof. Myopic thoughts like this are very much abound in some threads in this forum. back to your question again, the "cold civil war" shall continue until the demise of nigeria due to the unfounded suspicion of Igbo people by other groups from Yorubas, awusas and the minority goups.

You've spoken like a true tribalist. Next time, remember to call it Yorubas and not Yoruba's.
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by DeepZone: 6:01pm On Oct 06, 2008
Deepzone & Co. Change your attitude. You are responsible for more than half of religious/tribal cyber-wars on Nairaland
Name the thread/s. Liar.
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by ikeyman00(m): 6:19pm On Oct 06, 2008
mc usman

deepzone is one of the most tribalist lipsrsealed in here and u know it
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by Fhemmmy: 8:05pm On Oct 06, 2008
I think instead of pointing fingers and passing the balls, it might be helpful, if we admit that we are all tribalistic in our own little ways, lemme ask y'all a question, you driving on the road and you see 3 people(from 3 main tribe of Nigeria, including your own) in da rain and you have only one space in your car, who will you give a ride to?
I am sure most will say their own tribe, so what do you call that, playing favouritism or na holy spirit chose who to pick.

You go to a party and there are different groups comprising of tribes, who will you go and jolly with, your tribe or another tribe? dont even lie, cos i know y'all will go and jolly with ya own tribe.

Till we all see each other as one big Nigeria, till the first statement in the mouth of us all is "where are you from?" and after saying Nigeria, the next thing is always, i know you are Nigerian, but what tribe? till we can flush all these out of our system, tribal war cant stop in Nigeria and it is being passed on to the next generation, it is has become a plague.
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by tpia: 8:10pm On Oct 06, 2008
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by ikeyman00(m): 8:20pm On Oct 06, 2008
continue fooling ur self

i think there is a difference in promoting your own knid u know and refusing to regconise other tribe quota to their own emm yea disadvantages when u as a person is in charge

lets stop fooling ourseleves

1 nigeria for life
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by tpia: 8:22pm On Oct 06, 2008
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by ikeyman00(m): 8:27pm On Oct 06, 2008
sure ha u right, their action speak loudeir than words, we know them?

some people just need to be executed in that country!! dnt need yeye beer palour EFFC
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by Fhemmmy: 8:28pm On Oct 06, 2008
tpia:

Tribalism doesnt necessairly have to be a bad thing. Its people who make it so. And there are people in your scenario who will give a ride to someone from another tribe even at the expense of theirs.

In the US people celebrate their various heritages without attacking other people's own.

Nigerians arent at that stage yet. They're still at the "gang warfare" mentality which America passed through in the early part of the last century. When Irish, Italian and Black gangs were constantly at each other's throats. Na poverty cycle dey cause am.

I am glad u said there are some pple that would do otherwise, but what is the ratio?
I am glad that you said, Nigeria is yet to get to the level where they can celebrate other's heritage and not see it as a bad thing, so i pray we will get there one day, however, till we get there, we shd just stop talking about tribalism, cos it exist and stares us in da face.
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by nigeria12: 8:29pm On Oct 06, 2008
You can never end tribalism. I mean never. We are just not made to be together. You see. This is the truth. If you do not believe, Just do a google reach on google earth and find another country where you have too many different settlement like nigeria. I never found any.

I have lived here for a long time. And I know not up to 5% of nigeria as a nation is ready to die for Nigeria. But in the USA or Canada. More than 50% of them will die for this  countries.
In Nigeria more than 80% of Igbos will die for Igboland. more than 80% of Yorubas would die for Yorubaland(June 12 1993), Ijawland more than 80% will die for Ijawland (MEND)  In hausaland more than 80% would die for hausaland (1966 coup).  but those who would die for nigeria less than 5% what does that tell you.

Nigeria is not a nation. citizen are willing to die for their nation. How do you make nigeria a nation, cancel the census and allow one man , one vote., And not what you have   1man4vote for North.
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by ikeyman00(m): 8:31pm On Oct 06, 2008
well misinformation!! they missed the point i think?
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by ikeyman00(m): 8:34pm On Oct 06, 2008

Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War?
« #26 on: Today at 08:29:53 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can never end tribalism. I mean never. We are just not made to be together. You see. This is the truth. If you do not believe, Just do a google reach on google earth and find another country where you have too many different settlement like nigeria. I never found any.

I have lived here for a long time. And I know not up to 5% of nigeria as a nation is ready to die for Nigeria. Buy in the USA or Canada. More than 50% of them will die for this countries.
In Nigeria more than 80% of Igbos will die for Igboland. more than 80% of Yorubas would die for Yorubaland(June 12 1993), Ijawland more than 80% will die for Ijawland (MEND) In hausaland more than 80% would die for hausaland (1966 coup). but those who would die for nigeria less than 5% what does that tell you.

Nigeria is not a nation. citizen are willing to die for their nation. How do you make nigeria a nation, cancel the census and allow one man , one vote., And not what you have 1man4vote for North.

why do u have to prey on any slightest divisive propaganda to propergate your quest for breaking up nigeria

u see people like u makes whiteman feel like god jesus
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by Fhemmmy: 8:38pm On Oct 06, 2008
ikeyman00:

why do u have to prey on any slightest divisive propaganda to propergate your quest for breaking up nigeria
u see people like u makes whiteman feel like god jesus

For the first time, i dont actually think the guy was looking for seperation, he talking about abt politics surround the head count in Nigeria, where the numbers of people in the north are being over stated for power and revenue sharing purpose.
I am not sure how right he is though, but i dont think he was rooting for seperation.
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by tpia: 8:41pm On Oct 06, 2008
Re: How Do We End The Cold Civil War? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Oct 06, 2008
Tribalism  emanates from consciousness of nationalistic existence which can not be expunged but can only be subjected to laws of collective development and aspiration. Tribalism is part of us but can be put in any a way that collective development overrides individual inclination.
Since we respect the existence of other individuals and their rights by way of law, we should aspire to have laws that places sovereignty on collective development rather than nationalistic development.
Simply put, we are bound as humans to be inclined towards those of the same social existence as us but if we place laws that make it criminal to allow our social belonging to override collective aspiration as a country we will fare better.
It should be criminal for a northern president to appoint  a crooked secondary school principal as minister of aviation where we have Yoruba's that are seasoned aviation strategists. It should also be criminal for an Igbo president to appoint a crooked igbo trader as minister of education where we have a seasoned Hausa educationalist.
Having said this we would look at implementation of such laws which will be effective if the senate and house of rep tow this line in approving presidential appointments and all powers invested in the presidency to appoint individuals that can head any federal parastatal should be striped and invested in the labour union. The labour union should appoint individuals within them to head federal parastatals subject to the approval of the legislature.
The presidency should no longer be all powerful and lucrative as it is because that is where tribalism becomes security for the office of the presidency. The presidency should be more of a policy making office while professionals run the parastatals. I can not turn this post into a text book but I will be forced to expantiate more if a non tribalistic individual in this forum request for such.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2010 - Saving Ourselves, Innovation, Invention And Community / Is Gov Babatunde Fashola Of Lagos State Really Working? / Update On PDP Primaries: ADAMAWA STATE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.