Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,297 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:17 AM

Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide - Health (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide (26334 Views)

Doctors’ Strike Paralyses Ekiti Teaching Hospital / Ebola Cripples West African Economies As Fearful Workers Stay Home / Jonathan Moves To Prevent Doctors' Strike (Meets With NMA) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Elythron16zero4: 9:23am On Jul 05, 2014
you are confusing me the more
armadeo:

before a prognosis can be considered a diagnosis MUST have been made so if a wrong diagnosis is made it follows that the prognosis following that would be wrong. however if a diagnosis is made then the prognosis is ALMOST a guarantee depending on what studies have shown.

e.g stroke patients have a 70% chance of survival (an example not actual figures) then the prognosis is that out of every 10 patients with stroke 7 would survive. so this is in play once a diagnosis of stroke is made, however if the patient doesn't have a stroke and is misdiagnosed and given same prognosis isn't it wrong from the onset. what is wrong here the prognosis or the diagnosis.

the above post is just for example

stop playing with words not all readers here are put off with links or long drawn explanations.

only after a diagnosis is made can a prognosis come into play therefore there is literally no such thing as a faulty prognosis because a prognosis cant be faulty it is iron clad with respect to the disease in question. however if a diagnosis is wrong the prognosis for that particular patient as informed by the dr is also wrong.

There is no such thing as faulty prognosis only faulty[/b] wrong diagnosis.

1)defines it as an opinion, based on medical experience of the likely development of a disease or illness;(2) the judgement about something is likely to develop in the future

i believe that i have explained however info me if more clarification is required. sorry about the exclamation.
if you say there is no wrong prognosis, how come you said this [b]however if a diagnosis is wrong the prognosis for that particular patient as informed by the dr is also wrong. Is it a contradiction? Now look at this Varicella(chickenpox): The prognosis for an individual with varicella is good. The diseasse runs its course in 2 to 3weeks. complications may include secondary bacteria infections of the skin as a result of scratching open lesions, thrombocytopenia,arthritis,hepatitis and Reye's syndrome. Going by the above analogy, a doctor who fails to associate these signs with this disease even after diagnosis and gives a completely different medication has formed a wrong opinion with the disease in question. although some of these signs may be common with other diseases but where it is obvious that it is for this disease and the doctor gives very wrong opinion and gives medications based on his wrong opinion, do you say that is a correct prognosis? since you are saying there is nothing like wrong/faulty prognosis, can we also deduce from your comment that there is nothing like a correct prognosis grin grin
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Elythron16zero4: 9:27am On Jul 05, 2014
centje: yes, doctors makes mistakes, sometimes. Like pharmacists, Doctors are also humans. Just like a pharmacist can make mistakes so can a doctor.

It is also true that doctors take most of the blame for most mistakes made in patient care so also does pharmacist take less of the blame. It just shows which shoulder carries most of the responsibilities of patient care. If Mr president can get rewards and honors due for him, for taking up the country's responsibilities why would a doctor be denied his. Why won't other healthcare workers keep to their various responsibilities and take the rewards and honors due for such responsibilities.
Well, all these are attempt by you to shift attention. The issue at hand is 'faulty prognosis' in relation to the context you used it.

So, I quoted you again so that we re-orient the discussion devoid of emotion and deviation of attention. To you, doctors jump to prescribe based on prognosis before diagnosis. Some people have tried explaining this thing to you, in dept, but the same 'ego' you tag doctors won't allow you to accept your mistake, to learn and move on.
please read my post above and explain how it justifies your stance on this. ANYWAY THANKS FOR ADMITTING THAT DOCTORS CAN BE WRONG, THAT IS THE CRUX OF MY ARGUMENT BUT YOUR PEOPLE ONLY PICKED ON THE USE OF THE WORD PROGNOSIS IN TRYING TO RUBBISH MY STANCE ON THE POINT RAISED DUE TO ""HIGH SHOULDER SYNDROME" EQUAL TO EGO . CASE CLOSED.
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 05, 2014
Elythron16zero4: please read my post above and explain how it justifies your stance on this.
Quit courting circles, my dear. Learn and move on, this time...forward and in straight line.
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Elythron16zero4: 9:39am On Jul 05, 2014
centje: Quit courting circles, my dear. Learn and move on, this time...forward and in straight line.
YOU HAVE NOT ANSWERED ME. EXPLAIN THAT PROGNOSIS UP THERE DR CENTJE NOT COURTING CIRCLES.
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by babat89: 10:23am On Jul 05, 2014
Elythron16zero4: YOU HAVE NOT ANSWERED ME. EXPLAIN THAT PROGNOSIS UP THERE DR CENTJE NOT COURTING CIRCLES.

Diagnosis-which you meant to say- tells the CAUSE of a disease (bacterial, viral...) and what the disease is.

Prognosis, tells the COURSE of a disease- how it will progress/develop/evolve. Will he die? Will he get better? Any disabilities? Something like that
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by babat89: 10:31am On Jul 05, 2014
You are d one acting out 'high shoulder and stiff necked syndrome'
Saying, "wow! Ok...I didn't know that, now I do," doesn't make you weak. It just shows you are actually stronger- characterwise.
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Elythron16zero4: 11:25am On Jul 05, 2014
babat89: You are d one acting out 'high shoulder and stiff necked syndrome'
Saying, "wow! Ok...I didn't know that, now I do," doesn't make you weak. It just shows you are actually stronger- characterwise.
grin grin you make me laugh here. ok why are the signs of a disease included in its prognosis? IN THIS CASE;The prognosis for an individual with varicella is good. The diseasse runs its course in 2 to 3weeks. complications may include secondary bacteria infections of the skin as a result of scratching open lesions, thrombocytopenia,arthritis,hepatitis and Reye's syndrome. Is it not to be able to identify the disorder and profer appropriate solution which includes drug prescriptions. I think you are looking at prognosis only from the point of its forecasting meaning. How about its meaning on the formation of opinion on its etiology which may equally be gotten wrong by a doctor. PLEASE ELUCIDATE. Again realising that without a diagnosis there cannot be a prognosis, how is it that i am out of context. you guys just want to show off.
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Elythron16zero4: 11:46am On Jul 05, 2014
babat89:

Diagnosis-which you meant to say- tells the CAUSE of a disease (bacterial, viral...) and what the disease is.

Prognosis, tells the COURSE of a disease- how it will progress/develop/evolve. Will he die? Will he get better? Any disabilities? Something like that
ok why are the signs of a disease included in its prognosis? IN THIS CASE;The prognosis for an individual with varicella is good. The diseasse runs its course in 2 to 3weeks. complications may include secondary bacteria infections of the skin as a result of scratching open lesions, thrombocytopenia,arthritis,hepatitis and Reye's syndrome. Is it not to be able to identify the disorder and profer appropriate solution which includes drug prescriptions. I think you are looking at prognosis only from the point of its forecasting meaning. How about its meaning on the formation of opinion on its etiology which may equally be gotten wrong by a doctor. PLEASE ELUCIDATE. Again realising that without a diagnosis there cannot be a prognosis, how is it that i am out of context. With an end we can know the beginning of a thing. no bi so?
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jul 05, 2014
Elythron16zero4: please read my post above and explain how it justifies your stance on this. ANYWAY THANKS FOR ADMITTING THAT DOCTORS CAN BE WRONG, THAT IS THE CRUX OF MY ARGUMENT BUT YOUR PEOPLE ONLY PICKED ON THE USE OF THE WORD PROGNOSIS IN TRYING TO RUBBISH MY STANCE ON THE POINT RAISED DUE TO ""HIGH SHOULDER SYNDROME" EQUAL TO EGO . CASE CLOSED.
The letters in capital wasn't part of your post when i quoted it. You edited it. And that's why i decided to post again.

The other posters who picked that part of post did so because the context in which you used the word prognosis was wrong. Why i won't take time to explain further, the meaning and use of prognosis and diagnosis, is because from all your posts so far you don't know these medical words and how they are used. At the same time, you have refused to learn. What makes your attitude on this thread different from the egotistical attitude you accuse doctors.

I will allow you to enjoy your 'ego' till you're ready to learn, then i will explain.

1 Like

Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jul 05, 2014
^^^^^
A clear demonstration of everything wrong with doctors: Childish,immature, egotistic(a desperate need to be superior) and a failure to grasp the big picture and to understand what is really important. This is as exciting as listening to two airline pilots arguing about whether it is better to fly at 30000 feet or 35000 feet.Or listening to carpenters argue about whether it is better to use 6 inch or 8 inch nails. Yet to them that is the most important discussion for mankind. Please give us break and reflect on what it feels like watching two mad people c0pulate in public.It is embarrassing
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Elythron16zero4: 12:33pm On Jul 05, 2014
centje: The letters in capital wasn't part of your post when i quoted it. You edited it. And that's why i decided to post again.

The other posters who picked that part of post did so because the context in which you used the word prognosis was wrong. Why i won't take time to explain further, the meaning and use of prognosis and diagnosis, is because from all your posts so far you don't know these medical words and how they are used. At the same time, you have refused to learn. What makes your attitude on this thread different from the egotistical attitude you accuse doctors.

I will allow you to enjoy your 'ego' till you're ready to learn, then i will explain.
i don't get you, pls show the post i edited which is different from the post you refer to in question. Are you trying to say i re-quoted you or i edited a post? which one sir?
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jul 05, 2014
Elythron16zero4: i don't get you, pls show the post i edited which is different from the post you refer to in question. Are you trying to say i re-quoted you or i edited a post? which one sir?

Below is a screenshot of your post which i quoted before you edited it and added the part in capital letters.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1527213_img_20140705_124015_edit_jpeg9fdf29fdb1a74c36b9b32d73857abdab
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 05, 2014
Slimchy09:

Mister...In UNTH, the Chief Nursing Officer is a Medical Doctor and has always been so.... Go figure

Lawd lipsrsealed
Who is this!?

What are you typing? And posting?

1 Like

Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 05, 2014
Slimchy09:

Be my guest

My mother just told me to ask the "people of Nairaland" to give you a life ban from here!
But what you are saying is the biggest lie on this planet

You clearly are not a nurse
Then as for being a doctor, humans would live in Mercury first!
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by armadeo(m): 1:17pm On Jul 05, 2014
Elythron16zero4: you are confusing me the more if you say there is no wrong prognosis, how come you said this however if a diagnosis is wrong the prognosis for that particular patient as informed by the dr is also wrong. Is it a contradiction? Now look at this Varicella(chickenpox): The prognosis for an individual with varicella is good. The diseasse runs its course in 2 to 3weeks. complications may include secondary bacteria infections of the skin as a result of scratching open lesions, thrombocytopenia,arthritis,hepatitis and Reye's syndrome. Going by the above analogy, a doctor who fails to associate these signs with this disease even after diagnosis and gives a completely different medication has formed a wrong opinion with the disease in question. although some of these signs may be common with other diseases but where it is obvious that it is for this disease and the doctor gives very wrong opinion and gives medications based on his wrong opinion, do you say that is a correct prognosis? since you are saying there is nothing like wrong/faulty prognosis, can we also deduce from your comment that there is nothing like a correct prognosis grin grin

I see you like playing with words so here goes.

Now look at this [b]Varicella(chickenpox): The prognosis for an individual with varicella is good. The diseasse runs its course in 2 to 3weeks. complications may include secondary bacteria infections of the skin as a result of scratching open lesions, thrombocytopenia,arthritis,hepatitis and Reye's syndrome.

at this point we agree that the patient has chicken pox with a good prognosis despite possible complications.

a doctor who fails to associate these signs with this disease even after diagnosis

this is where you confuse me. a diagnosis has been made for chicken pox so all associated complications are considered. how will a dr make a diagnosis and not make consideration for possible complications beats me. A disease condition isnt just a single entity most times multiple symptoms make it up hence the need for history taking to rule out.

lets take the post further

a[b] doctor who fails to associate these signs with this disease even after diagnosis and gives a completely different medication has formed a wrong opinion with the disease in question.[/b]

this Dr who makes one diagnosis and treats something else shocked shocked shocked shocked

so again...

a doctor who fails to associate these signs with this disease may be common with other diseases but where it is obvious that it is for this disease and the doctor gives very wrong opinion and gives medications based on his wrong opinion

at this point bolded above this Dr failed to associate signs to a disease after diagnosis. my question at this point is what was the diagnosis?
here i believe lies the issue. is it a diagnosis of chicken pox if yes then the patient has a good prognosis, ( because good prognosis has been tied to chicken pox as you said yourself)

however if the patient chicken pox and is treated for something else (QUACKERY ??) and fails to get better does that mean the prognosis for chicken pox is wrong, NO!! because the chicken pox hasn't been managed as it should. where it properly managed the patient should have a good outcome (prognosis).

Lets take it a step further as you said there are other diseases that could have the complications listed. lets assume this patient also doesn't have chicken pox but lets say herpes simplex or drug eruptions and he is been managed for chicken pox and came out bad.

The prognosis for chicken pox is still good as outlined but in this patient the diagnosis was wrong therefore tying a good prognosis of chicken pox to him was also wrong ab initio. so the problem here isn't the wrong prognosis but the wrong diagnosis.

Comprende........

1 Like

Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by armadeo(m): 1:22pm On Jul 05, 2014
Elythron16zero4: please read my post above and explain how it justifies your stance on this. ANYWAY THANKS FOR ADMITTING THAT DOCTORS CAN BE WRONG, THAT IS THE CRUX OF MY ARGUMENT BUT YOUR PEOPLE ONLY PICKED ON THE USE OF THE WORD PROGNOSIS IN TRYING TO RUBBISH MY STANCE ON THE POINT RAISED DUE TO ""HIGH SHOULDER SYNDROME" EQUAL TO EGO . CASE CLOSED.

I have explained your post above i first checked mentions and responded from there, i thought this was an attempt at sharing knowledge not some issue about EGO. ( yours to be precise)

wrong diagnosis happens. isn't that what u want to hear.
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by armadeo(m): 1:29pm On Jul 05, 2014
milychocs:

My mother just told me to ask the "people of Nairaland" to give you a life ban from here!

the user name is slimchy09 for posterity sake, i have already advise the user to deactivate the account.

1 Like

Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Elythron16zero4: 2:37pm On Jul 05, 2014
centje:

Below is a screenshot of your post which i quoted before you edited it and added the part in capital letters.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1527213_img_20140705_124015_edit_jpeg9fdf29fdb1a74c36b9b32d73857abdab
ok i didn't see that. you are correct.
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 05, 2014
armadeo:

the user name is slimchy09 for posterity sake, i have already advise the user to deactivate the account.

Crazy guy
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Elythron16zero4: 3:32pm On Jul 05, 2014
armadeo:

I see you like playing with words so here goes.

Now look at this [b]Varicella(chickenpox): The prognosis for an individual with varicella is good. The diseasse runs its course in 2 to 3weeks. complications may include secondary bacteria infections of the skin as a result of scratching open lesions, thrombocytopenia,arthritis,hepatitis and Reye's syndrome.

at this point we agree that the patient has chicken pox with a good prognosis despite possible complications.

a doctor who fails to associate these signs with this disease even after diagnosis

this is where you confuse me. a diagnosis has been made for chicken pox so all associated complications are considered. how will a dr make a diagnosis and not make consideration for possible complications beats me. A disease condition isnt just a single entity most times multiple symptoms make it up hence the need for history taking to rule out.

lets take the post further

a[b] doctor who fails to associate these signs with this disease even after diagnosis and gives a completely different medication has formed a wrong opinion with the disease in question.[/b]

this Dr who makes one diagnosis and treats something else shocked shocked shocked shocked

so again...

a doctor who fails to associate these signs with this disease may be common with other diseases but where it is obvious that it is for this disease and the doctor gives very wrong opinion and gives medications based on his wrong opinion

at this point bolded above this Dr failed to associate signs to a disease after diagnosis. my question at this point is what was the diagnosis?
here i believe lies the issue. is it a diagnosis of chicken pox if yes then the patient has a good prognosis, ( because good prognosis has been tied to chicken pox as you said yourself)

however if the patient chicken pox and is treated for something else (QUACKERY ??) and fails to get better does that mean the prognosis for chicken pox is wrong, NO!! because the chicken pox hasn't been managed as it should. where it properly managed the patient should have a good outcome (prognosis).

Lets take it a step further as you said there are other diseases that could have the complications listed. lets assume this patient also doesn't have chicken pox but lets say herpes simplex or drug eruptions and he is been managed for chicken pox and came out bad.

The prognosis for chicken pox is still good as outlined but in this patient the diagnosis was wrong therefore tying a good prognosis of chicken pox to him was also wrong ab initio. so the problem here isn't the wrong prognosis but the wrong diagnosis.

Comprende........
grin grin Needless dissipating your energies fruitlessly, there is no need beating about the bush. ab initio i do know the context of the word usage was not ideal but you know what,on like others who tried to correct me with insolence you were about the only person who spoke from knowledge sharing and very reasonable. Even with my insistence though i knew i was wrong but you have not descended to expletives and i quite appreciate that. Thank you. I actually chose to escalate this argument when i saw that those trying to correct me from inception were merely trying to make a caricature of themselves and not me. This is especially with the insistence that i should explain the meaning of faulty/wrong prognosis. If they have said did you mean diagnosis? i would have concurred but they are making it sound as if i don't know the meaning of the word i used not that they are seeing it as a mistake or misused of words. one of them said i have no medical inclination and that the word was grammatically wrong. That was why i became exasperated and neck bent to defend the word and now they are all tired and not responding again. That is what you get when you try to correct people by mockery. Prognosis for all diseases are already known before hand once the disorder is identified.That is why it is pro>before and gnosis>knowing i.e before a disorder comes we know what the prognosis of that disorder will be. without running a test if you ask a doctor/pharmacist/an allied health worker to tell you the prognosis of mumps for example, he/she with a good knowledge of the disease etiology will be able to tell you because he/she already knows it. I am sure some Pharmacist on this platform knows that the context of that word usage is truly wrong but kept mute because those spotting the error are trying to be egoistic about it. In my view prognosis are standards like formularies and pharmacopeias were you can look for drug info so before any diagnosis is carried out the prognosis is already in place. It is when the doctor identifies the disorder that he can now link the signs and symptoms with the prognosis and then recommend the appropriate drugs. Truly there are no wrong/faulty prognosis unless one is giving the prognosis of disease A for disease B then it becomes wrong which still support my argument which is a fallacy. In all i thank you for being reasonable and for not seeing me as one who didn't know but one who made a wrong use of the word .
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 05, 2014
milychocs:

I apologise for my error...seems i was wrongly misinformed.
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by armadeo(m): 4:13pm On Jul 05, 2014
Slimchy09:

Crazy guy

angry angry angry angry angry

I always tell the truth even when i lie.

your account is still active i see. grin grin grin grin
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jul 05, 2014
armadeo:

angry angry angry angry angry

I always tell the truth even when i lie.

your account is still active i see. grin grin grin grin

like i said earlier...i was wrongly misinformed. U can take it or leave it.
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 05, 2014
milychocs:

Btw...ur comment is very insultive. People's source differs.
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by armadeo(m): 4:33pm On Jul 05, 2014
Slimchy09:

I apologise for my error...seems i was wrongly [b]mis[/b]informed.

its ok. impressive that you took correction in some circles that makes you the better man. grin grin grin grin
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by ACM10: 4:57pm On Jul 05, 2014
Slimchy09:

I apologise for my error...seems i was wrongly misinformed.

Slimchy09:

like i said earlier...i was wrongly misinformed. U can take it or leave it.

Ol boi, u go wunjure pesin with ur tautology. Choi!

You can either be wrongly informed OR misinformed

1 Like

Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by yomi007k(m): 12:19am On Jul 06, 2014
undecided

If na doctor mistakenly type that "wrongly misinformed", some ppl for don hang hin head for market square.

No further comment, your honour.

3 Likes

Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by phantom(m): 11:48am On Jul 06, 2014
Elythron16zero4: grin grin Needless dissipating your energies fruitlessly, there is no need beating about the bush. ab initio i do know the context of the word usage was not ideal but you know what,on like others who tried to correct me with insolence you were about the only person who spoke from knowledge sharing and very reasonable. Even with my insistence though i knew i was wrong but you have not descended to expletives and i quite appreciate that. Thank you. I actually chose to escalate this argument when i saw that those trying to correct me from inception were merely trying to make a caricature of themselves and not me. This is especially with the insistence that i should explain the meaning of faulty/wrong prognosis. If they have said did you mean diagnosis? i would have concurred but they are making it sound as if i don't know the meaning of the word i used not that they are seeing it as a mistake or misused of words. one of them said i have no medical inclination and that the word was grammatically wrong. That was why i became exasperated and neck bent to defend the word and now they are all tired and not responding again. That is what you get when you try to correct people by mockery. Prognosis for all diseases are already known before hand once the disorder is identified.That is why it is pro>before and gnosis>knowing i.e before a disorder comes we know what the prognosis of that disorder will be. without running a test if you ask a doctor/pharmacist/an allied health worker to tell you the prognosis of mumps for example, he/she with a good knowledge of the disease etiology will be able to tell you because he/she already knows it. I am sure some Pharmacist on this platform knows that the context of that word usage is truly wrong but kept mute because those spotting the error are trying to be egoistic about it. In my view prognosis are standards like formularies and pharmacopeias were you can look for drug info so before any diagnosis is carried out the prognosis is already in place. It is when the doctor identifies the disorder that he can now link the signs and symptoms with the prognosis and then recommend the appropriate drugs. Truly there are no wrong/faulty prognosis unless one is giving the prognosis of disease A for disease B then it becomes wrong which still support my argument which is a fallacy. In all i thank you for being reasonable and for not seeing me as one who didn't know but one who made a wrong use of the word .
gringringrin
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by phantom(m): 11:50am On Jul 06, 2014
yomi007k: undecided

If na doctor mistakenly type that "wrongly misinformed", some ppl for don hang hin head for market square.

No further comment, your honour.
**falls from airtel mast laughing his black a*** out **

2 Likes

Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 06, 2014
Lol
Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by xanchu: 11:09am On Jul 07, 2014
Nigerians might just be the dullest sets of educated people in the universe(apologia). If the doctors make a small fragment of health workers, why cry about the strike let other health workers run the hospitals, see the patients.
Please note that the title "CONSULTANT" isn't just a title. It depicts ownership of a patient, thus, all care given to the patient by any health worker must be recommended by the consultant, the ultimate outcome of the patient is his responsibility and the consequence of mismanagement is his to bear. Thus, if a nurse is called a consultant, she must see a patient on her own, clerk the patient, reach a diagnoses and recommend and request the actions of all other health personnel for the care of the patient. But nurses are not trained for such, they are trained to 'nurse' a patient. In other words, take care of, keep company, relief depression, clean up and cheer the patients. The CONSULTANT role is to be central in patients care, he knows everything the patient needs, he is the 'medical god' of the patient and he only calls on other health professionals where needed. This is a huge responsibility and NOT ALL doctors are consultants. This is because the rigorous training of residency requires self dedication to daily study and work, denial of family, friends and fun. After at least 5 extra years post medical school (6initial years), IF you paSs the exams, you can then be a consultant in a specialty annd sub specialty. So how come nurses and other paramedics simply wakes up overnight and wants the title "CONSULTANT" just because of the little allowances accrued it. It should be noted at this juncture that the total salary of a CONSULTANT in nigeria is less than a MEDICAL INTERN in America and UK and far less in Australia.
NMA fights for the sacredness of that title "CONSULTANT" not because of itself but because of the Patients. I say this because upon assumption of CONSULTANCY by other paramedics, they too would own patients in the hospitals I.e, patient would be admitted under their names and consultant doctors won't attend to such patients.
Please, let us reason this out, because, one day, it might just be you who is that Patient with acute abdomen secondary to typhoid ileal perforation that would see the CONSULTANT nurse and when sugery isn't performed at the appropriate few hours you have left, death is imminent.
A word is enough for the wise! Selah!

2 Likes

Re: Doctors’ Strike Cripples Hospitals Nationwide by Homguy(m): 10:34am On Jul 09, 2014
Samgreguc:
yea, they wanted studying med surg bt, cudnt belns of either jamb nonentical markings, post utme runs and even admission runs. Do u get it?
Moreover, all those knowledge u get from ur o'level which enables u into the systen ends in year 1 and a new thing is met in year 2. For Pharmacy, u are going into no year 2 without passing all the whole year1 course. So, dont that tell u somethg?
A 400level pharm student is a badoo. . . Quote me anywhere, to get pass 300level makes u a genius(having pass 12 to 14 courses with huge handout whose pass marks are 50% and some 60%). . . .
.entering is one thing, continuing is anoda.
You are one smart dude! Going by this reply.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation / 591 New COVID-19 Cases, 498 Discharged And 12 Deaths On July 24 - (3478 Tested) / Man Weds His Wife Who Has Breast Cancer On Hospital Bed In Benue After 50 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.