Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,647 members, 7,958,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 08:15 AM

President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB (7674 Views)

President, Governors Must Quit Office Before Elections – Sule / Atiku Rejects Automatic Tickets For President, Governors / SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by DZTech: 1:08pm On Jul 03, 2014
We're such a funny people.
The world is so far ahead of us that the possibility of ever attaining 30% of 'developed world' standards is remote.

First, let's be clear:
We have rulers, not leaders.
Second, you get what you pay for- you want an intelligent, well-trained, experienced man working for you, he'll deliver as he knows; you want a ragamuffin, he'll deliver as he knows how.
Our political history is overflowing with illiterates who got into power through connections- by buying votes, rigging or knowing a godfather.
Our academic history is overflowing with half-baked graduates who graduated through connections- by buying questions, answers or knowing someone in authority.

How do we ever wish for a governor that's got less than a doctorate, or a master's degree at the very least? The complexities of any one ministry- health, transport, sports, infrastructure- are enough to befuddle people who're quite bright; how would we willingly give power to someone who doesn't have a firm grasp on how things should work?
Yet we wonder why things are this bad?
For example-
A project manager handling a road repair has to spend untold hours in meetings, drawing up plans, updating and changing all manner of logistical requirements- staff, supplies, schedules, funding, access, contingencies for accidents, etc.
Therefore only experienced PMs get these jobs.
But we want people who haven't been properly schooled to manage the affairs of our state or nation?
Then why would we blame them for giving us uncompleted or poorly planned projects that have no future maintenance plans or budgets?
'A people get the government they deserve'- Joseph de Maistre
Let's act accordingly.

2 Likes

Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by tonytony208(m): 1:29pm On Jul 03, 2014
lokito: Nigeria has to go back to the Military regime ASAP.
Democracy has caused us more harm than good.
774 local Govt chairmen are thieves, their PAs and SAs thieves, the PAs of all the PAs and SAs thieves, the touts of all the PAs thieves
Commissioners, Senators, Ministers Big big thieves. Their PAs and SAs common thieves
Governors and the President..... lemme just keep quiet. I'm HIGH this morning

yeah you are right. We should go back to military rule; since nigeria got her best forms of development under military rule. I just can't stop appreciating the developments abacha and IBB including OBJ brought us as military rulers. They were so wonderful to the extent that naira became a useless currency the world over under their watch. They were also so wonderful to raise agriculture to the glorious and enviable pinnacle of complete decadence. If not for their better understanding of nation building, the wonderful and progressive seed of corruption wouldn't have been sown. Can you imagine that we have been eating the palatable fruit of corruption for years now since it was sown by the capable hands of IBB? Shouldn't that tell us that IBB and all military men are pple who can sow into the future? And believe me bro, it is always a soothing balm to have your rights trampled under jackboots; believe me it is so soothing. Once more bro, you are very much on point. Pls let the soilders come in. Just open aso rock gate for them when you are ready.

1 Like

Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by tonytony208(m): 1:38pm On Jul 03, 2014
Arinze96: WASSCE/SSCE and AGBERO certificates grin WASSCE/SSCE and AGBERO certificates

he claimed he went to ibadan poly. I don't know if he came out with ond or hnd
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by blacksta(m): 2:17pm On Jul 03, 2014
what is the point - GEJ has a PHD , just look at where Nigeria is!
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 03, 2014
donroxy: Ngwakwe : your assertion is completely poor and baseless !

If you look @ the political problem of this country through history , U would discovered that it was when uneducated people assumed the mantle of leadership that Nigeria turned Upside down where we now have thugs manning all our government houses in background !

I usually say this :

Whomsoever that is managing any position of authority of the Three tiers of government i.e President , Governor and LG Should posess nothing less than Masters in his chosen field as well as MBA which will equip you with administrative and managerial skills also Proven 10years Management experience at nothing less than Strategic Level management is compulsory
Infact school of strategic studies in Kuru, Jos should also be made compulsory !

Imagine , GEJ is the first Ph.D holder to rule Nigeria since independent while Yar'adua is the first B.sc holder since same ....

Don't tell me about ZIK and Shonekan oo , they were just there as figureHead !

Imagine , the CEO of all Nigerian Banks is always more qualified than a Local Government Chairman whose allocation run into hundreds of Millions everymonth talkless of President and Governor then how do you want a Poly Graduate to manage 500million monthly .....

Which organisation will entrust a B.sc holder without proven experience with such vote just because he was voted by his people ?

Between Nigeria and UBA whose CEO deserved better qualification ? grin

Infact Dangote's company is managed by adequately qualified managers , is Dangote's turnover beyond Nigeria's ?

Abeg , the only problem with this country is that :

It is not being managed by capable hands and the brains of the leaders is always anti-clockwise cuz we know where they were all selected from to be elected !

It is not by book but what you have passed through as an experienced manager who has the IQ to rule Multi-Ethnic nation like ours

God help us all when we help ourselves !

Guy, you are an illiterate o. Can u tell us one uneducated person that ever ruled in this country.
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 03, 2014
hifaif:
Guy, you are an illiterate o. Can u tell us one uneducated person that ever ruled in this country.
You are a F.oo.l and Ignorant.

The fact that I could read and write should suggest to you that I'm literate !

There is difference between school and education !

FoolishBoy ! tongue

They all attended school some military school but what have they shown Nigerians that they 've learnt ..... How to cart away Money ?

Is that what they were taught in school thus Uneducated cheesy
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by Nosurrenda: 7:18pm On Jul 03, 2014
If this becomes law then who will apc present as their presidential candidate or are they going to loan yet another man from the PDP?

Buhari didn't complete secondary school self.
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by zurine(f): 9:24pm On Jul 03, 2014
that's ideal
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by mike404(m): 11:51pm On Jul 03, 2014
OMO PROPHET BUHARI DON ENTER ONE CHANCE BE THAT O shocked
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 04, 2014
StealthyMe:

If Bill Gates decides to run for presidency in the US,would you be feel he has no general knowledge ?
Bill Gates may be good at what he does but as president, he may fail. Education is key to be able to lead but leading well is a matter of what you do with the knowledge you gain. I support the Confab on this.

1 Like

Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 04, 2014
mike404: OMO PROPHET BUHARI DON ENTER ONE CHANCE BE THAT O shocked
Buhari graduated from the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) whose degree is equivalent to the conventional university degree, so, there is no cause for alarm
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 04, 2014
DZTech: We're such a funny people.
The world is so far ahead of us that the possibility of ever attaining 30% of 'developed world' standards is remote.

First, let's be clear:
Second, you get what you pay for- you want an intelligent, well-trained, experienced man working for you, he'll deliver as he knows; you want a ragamuffin, he'll deliver as he knows how.
Our political history is overflowing with illiterates who got into power through connections- by buying votes, rigging or knowing a godfather.
Our academic history is overflowing with half-baked graduates who graduated through connections- by buying questions, answers or knowing someone in authority.

How do we ever wish for a governor that's got less than a doctorate, or a master's degree at the very least? The complexities of any one ministry- health, transport, sports, infrastructure- are enough to befuddle people who're quite bright; how would we willingly give power to someone who doesn't have a firm grasp on how things should work?
For example-
A project manager handling a road repair has to spend untold hours in meetings, drawing up plans, updating and changing all manner of logistical requirements- staff, supplies, schedules, funding, access, contingencies for accidents, etc.
But we want people who haven't been properly schooled to manage the affairs of our state or nation?
Then why would we blame them for giving us uncompleted or poorly planned projects that have no future maintenance plans or budgets?
Let's act accordingly.
You got my like for this piece. Some people here don't know what they want that's why they are criticizing it. They want to develop like the American and European countries but they do not want their leaders to have same qualifications like the American or European leaders, they want less. Though, B.Sc degree does not automatically means the holder will deliver but the knowledge is required to deliver, the individual matters too.
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by o42austino(m): 10:40am On Jul 04, 2014
One thing i thank God for is that the president has Right to reject any section of their recommendations that he did not like.

Hw on earth will some old men and women recommend this kind of thing?, well i support that our president and Governors shld hv a minimum of higher education Certificate(not University certificate Alone) But, all other position shld be open to every Nigerian with Minimum of SSCE(not WEAC alone) because for the fact that some Nigerians didn't go to higher Institutions does not prove that they are not good leaders.

Been a Good Leader is all about wisdom and understanding of what ur people want and how to provide it for them.

1 Like

Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by StealthyMe(m): 11:23am On Jul 04, 2014
koastar:
Bill Gates may be good at what he does but as president, he may fail. Education is key to be able to lead but leading well is a matter of what you do with the knowledge you gain. I support the Confab on this.

Yes u're right..i just used that as regards his educational status smiley
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 04, 2014
StealthyMe:

Yes u're right..i just used that as regards his educational status smiley

ok
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 04, 2014
There are 5 key requirement for success in leadership positions - in order of importance IMHO
1: Character
2: Experience
3: Education
4: Open-minded
5: Passionate about Progress

If Education was the only quality, then Leaders will remain failures.. all 5 qualities must work together.. but the evidence is clear for all to see. Nigeria is over 50 years old and what has been the result of our Leadership during this period? I leave that in your capable minds
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by Chibuikem001: 1:59pm On Jul 04, 2014
DZTech: We're such a funny people.

First, let's be clear:

For example-
Let's act accordingly.
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by Ngwakwe: 2:05pm On Jul 04, 2014
Instead of paper qualifications, why not advocate for IQ (Intelligence Quotient) test?

I once had a secretary in one multinational company I worked in the past who had a Masters Degree yet she can't spell some basic words.

Paper Qualification my foot.
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by o42austino(m): 5:27pm On Jul 04, 2014
voltron: There are 5 key requirement for success in leadership positions - in order of importance IMHO

If Education was the only quality, then Leaders will remain failures.. all 5 qualities must work together.. but the evidence is clear for all to see. Nigeria is over 50 years old and what has been the result of our Leadership during this period? I leave that in your capable minds
well, the word Education is driven from a word "Educo" which means to develop from within not from outside.
The problem we have in this nation is that we refer people that went to sch as been Educated and call Ade who spent Five years with his master learning his masters skill and tactics in his chosen field Illiterate.

For the fact that i went to school does not mean that am Educated but, my abilities to applied what i hv learnt to solve a common problem facing me or people Around me.

All our life as a Nation we re lead by men that went to sch but none of them are Educated thats y we are in a mess

1 Like

Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by dBard: 10:17pm On Jul 04, 2014
Don't see why so many are averse t dis suggestion...the evidence speaks for itself;
Some of the best governors in d country right now , making major developmental strides , are all graduates ;-Fashola n co.
Are we t handover our collective destinies t someone who doesnt 've d broadness of horizon a paper qualification gives ?? No.
No matter his faults..GEJ Cannot b compared t a lesser qualified Abacha

Me tinks , it's a step in d right direction
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 05, 2014
o42austino: well, the word Education is driven from a word "Educo" which means to develop from within not from outside.
The problem we have in this nation is that we refer people that went to sch as been Educated and call Ade who spent Five years with his master learning his masters skill and tactics in his chosen field Illiterate.

For the fact that i went to school does not mean that am Educated but, my abilities to applied what i hv learnt to solve a common problem facing me or people Around me.

All our life as a Nation we re lead by men that went to sch but none of them are Educated thats y we are in a mess

100% Correct.
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by joseph1832(m): 3:31pm On Jul 05, 2014
Yes! Yes! and yes! It's about time. I honestly see no reason whatsoever why an individual with school certificate will be allowed to contest for election. Come to think of it, what does a mere school certificate holder know about governance?
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 05, 2014
donroxy: You are a F.oo.l and Ignorant.

The fact that I could read and write should suggest to you that I'm literate !

There is difference between school and education !

FoolishBoy ! tongue

They all attended school some military school but what have they shown Nigerians that they 've learnt ..... How to cart away Money ?

Is that what they were taught in school thus Uneducated cheesy

What is this fool gibbering about? You think I quoted u out of context? I quoted u for using the word 'uneducated' wrongly or for the wrong people. How does ur BS about school and education concern me? I bet u don't even understand urself.
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by joseph1832(m): 3:39pm On Jul 05, 2014
voltron:

100% Correct.
You are being one sided. Education is something that is holistic, it is an eye opener, as you said "many of us went to school but not all of us are educated". Education goes through you and you go through it, this is why in advance countries like U.S, China, France, Russia everybody involve in active governance are well educated, that is why their country move forward.

I tell you the reason why we as a nation are still backward is because most if not all of our leaders put themselves and their political ambition first before the entire nation. One who is truly educated will not that in everything that is good "your country comes first".
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by joseph1832(m): 3:43pm On Jul 05, 2014
voltron: There are 5 key requirement for success in leadership positions - in order of importance IMHO

The answer is simple: we are being lead by narrow-minded, selfish and heartless individuals.
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by o42austino(m): 6:01pm On Jul 05, 2014
joseph1832:
You are being one sided. Education is something that is holistic, it is an eye opener, as you said "many of us went to school but not all of us are educated". Education goes through you and you go through it, this is why in advance countries like U.S, China, France, Russia everybody involve in active governance are well educated, that is why their country move forward.

I tell you the reason why we as a nation are still backward is because most if not all of our leaders put themselves and their political ambition first before the entire nation. One who is truly educated will not that in everything that is good "your country comes first".
thanks for making it clear here thst d problem we hv as a Nation is that our political class do put their political interest ahead of the national interest and i think thst the national convention got it Wrong with that decision about pepper qualifications. what this Nation need re leaders that re selfless, leaders that are ready and willing to make greater sacrifices for the People and is willing to step on toes not certificate holders.
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by myspnigeria: 12:39am On Jul 06, 2014
discrimination of the highest order!!!
Re: President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB by obeski13(m): 8:43am On Jul 07, 2014
Former British prime minister John Major was a school cert holder when he ruled Britain.what is it with ordinary A4 paper called certificate that we idolised?being able to lead has nothing to do with any paper qualification.FOLA ADEOLA OF GTB has ordinary national diploma when he founded d bank.what qualification did Bill Gates, Dangote and many others have before establishing their conglomerates.if qualification is directly proportional to good administrative acumen and leadership skills ,then our university shld av been d best run organisation in d country.but what do we av?institutions dat is characterised by corruption, disorderliness and lack of idea on how to move them forward.d crave for A4 paper qualification is d bane of dis country

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Russian President Vladimir Putin Fueling His Car (photo) / Buhari Orders Investigation Of Strange Disease In Jigawa State / BREAKING: Aisha Buhari Concludes Plans To Pack Out Of Aso Villa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.