Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,277 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

Canada Or Uk - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada Or Uk (15403 Views)

I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back / 1 Million For Visa To Canada Or Stay Back In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada Or Uk by Nobody: 8:38am On Jul 02, 2014
pls canada or uk where is a better place to have a masters interms of
-affordable accommodation
-where student can work while also studying atleast for allowance
-well recognised degree in nigeria labour market
thats all for now.
Re: Canada Or Uk by Nobody: 8:49am On Jul 02, 2014
Canada all the way.
Re: Canada Or Uk by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 02, 2014
smoothsk: Canada all the way.
what sch pls
Re: Canada Or Uk by dotcomnamename: 11:55am On Jul 02, 2014
zerray: pls canada or uk where is a better place to have a masters interms of
thats all for now.

Obviosuly & clearly its UK, the Great Britain! Canada is also ok, but i prefer UK for reasons...

2 Likes

Re: Canada Or Uk by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jul 02, 2014
dotcom_na_me_na_me:

Obviosuly & clearly its UK, the Great Britain! Canada is also ok, but i prefer UK for reasons...
what are your reasons
Re: Canada Or Uk by dotcomnamename: 2:36pm On Jul 02, 2014
zerray: what are your reasons

First reason: ''As a Foreign Student, most schools only permit you to work within the campus unless you get a work permit. During your 1st 2 semesters you will not be able to work off campus. After the 2 semesters, jobs are not available and in Canada, jobs availability differs from province to province. '' It is not like that in UK.

Infarct read the first post of this poster here-https://www.nairaland.com/1289704/advice-studying-overseas-uk-canada
Re: Canada Or Uk by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 02, 2014
dotcom_na_me_na_me:

First reason: ''As a Foreign Student, most schools only permit you to work within the campus unless you get a work permit. During your 1st 2 semesters you will not be able to work off campus. After the 2 semesters, jobs are not available and in Canada, jobs availability differs from province to province. '' It is not like that in UK.

Infarct read the first post of this poster here-https://www.nairaland.com/1289704/advice-studying-overseas-uk-canada
tnks alot let me go through it,nothing on that link,im applying for postgraduate
Re: Canada Or Uk by uzoexcel(m): 4:23pm On Jul 05, 2014
CAnada all d way
Re: Canada Or Uk by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jul 05, 2014
uzoexcel: CAnada all d way
are you in canada
Re: Canada Or Uk by uzoexcel(m): 6:59pm On Jul 05, 2014
im not but from info, its d best place where u got a 'fighting' chance of getting something good and ur papers also after u r done with ur program...of course it depends on ur plans though
btw i think there s a canada thread on nairaland...confirm from justwise!!!
zerray: are you in canada
Re: Canada Or Uk by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 05, 2014
uzoexcel: im not but from info, its d best place where u got a 'fighting' chance of getting something good and ur papers also after u r done with ur program...of course it depends on ur plans though
btw i think there s a canada thread on nairaland...confirm from justwise!!!
im nt getting answers frm the thread. tnks

1 Like

Re: Canada Or Uk by dotcomnamename: 7:34pm On Jul 05, 2014
Your future is important than status. Considering both status as a student visa holder u're heading to Canada and UK, UK is the best for qualification in my opinion and research. Everybody have their opinion anyway!
Re: Canada Or Uk by rawlizo(m): 10:22pm On Jul 05, 2014
dotcom_na_me_na_me:

Get updated bro. There ar new immigration rules for international students in canada. I'll pick canada ahead of uk

1 Like

Re: Canada Or Uk by castrogee(m): 4:18am On Jul 06, 2014
zerray: pls canada or uk where is a better place to have a masters interms of
thats all for now.

My dear sister,

From your questions and worries I can sense that you are passionate about your future, and you want to make the right choices! Granted, from experience no choice is entirely bad (wrong) or absolutely good (correct) but in the game of choices I think some choices are more rewarding than others. I suppose that you are in Nigeria right now and have the ambition of crossing over to the west to pursue your noble ambition.

Absolutely! When faced with this kind of dilemma of choices you hear a lot of advices both from experts, mediocres, and the downright novice. In regards to your questions I will like to chip-in my advice, which to the best of my knowledge might help you, because i was once in your shoes but now I think I know better.

Going to the UK vs Canada is synonymous with the simple Nigerian comparison of Lekki and VI which is better? The answer depends on the individual/s, but given that some people will prefer UK to Canada and others will do just the opposite tells you that both countries share a lot in common.

In terms of education I will advice you to go for UK and these are my reasons: first, I will categorize these reasons into subheadings which are duration, cost, adaptability, and opportunity.

An average MSc course in the UK takes just one year of two semesters, whereas in Canada it's basically two years of four semesters. Who wants to spend his entire life studying? If you have two assignments to do with different time variations I believe it's wise to choose the one with lesser time commitment.

Cost: remember in UK you have two semesters while in Canada there are four semesters to do. I know some Universities in UK, good universities for that matter where you can do MSc for less than 12000GBP, whereas a good recognized school in Canada will take at least 30,000 CAD in tuition fees alone and that's about 17,000GBP. I know you are looking for the opportunity to work and study but i will disappoint you with a revelation - as a student your work can only pay your house rent. I tell you this my dear sister, because I don't want you to be under the illusion that you will work and make millions, all those stories you hear na complete wash! Furthermore, getting a student job is simply luck and by chance both in UK and in Canada you might be lucky to get something but just know that it's not automatic anywhere and that's the more reason you need to make sure your tuition fees are reasonably low, so that you could have surplus to take care of yourself.

Adaptability: in this category I think I will still choose UK; this is because for someone coming all the way from Nigeria ( a tropical country in the sub Saharan Africa) cold is usually an obstacle and you have to know that the cold in Canada is no joke! Even here in America, the part of America facing Canada is called the New England and sometimes during winter the temperature can be -10 degrees So you should know what I mean now. Going forward the teaching technique in UK is quite similler to that of Nigeria unlike Canada where it's a totally different ball game. I thinks also that Nigeria shares a whole lot in common with UK more than Canada and adaptation will not be much of a problem for you in UK.

Note that the UK degree is valued very well in Nigeria and even in the west. UK remains the education capital and academic destination of the world! Canada's eduction is equally very recognized and valued.

As for opportunities there is a major reason why people choose Canada in preference to UK, and that's in getting residence papers and that where lies the whole difference in these two countries. While it is near impossible to get UK residence papers it's somehow less difficult to get Canada's papers. In fact when you finish your MSc in Canada they will give you a two year visa extension for you to work in Canada but in UK it's nothing. When you hear people shout Canada! It's simply because of the papers. I've a lot of friends in Canada and they complain to me how hard it is to survive in the country.

My sister I've taken out time to write this lengthy sermons to you because I don't want what happened to me to happen to you. I'm a software engineer based in the USA and when I came into America newly I thought all my problems have been solved, so I didn't plan very well while in Nigeria. In fact it was when I have landed in America that I started planning my life and re shaping it. I discovered immediately that all this things we used to hear while in Nigeria about the west na film trick. The reality is that things are as TOUGH here as it is in Nigeria.

Finally, I want you to take your time and plan very well. Cross check your facts don't just depend on the advice of people, but try to understand the reason why you want to travel abroad and plan accordingly. This is because people will tell you things from their own perspective and their own perspective might not be your lot. Another thing I want you to know is that at this your stage in life the sky is your starting point if you plan well. I want you to know that there is no way you can plan well without the Master and that's JESUS so I earnestly advice you to pray and believe strongly in God. I believe God is gonna see you true!

Be blessed.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Or Uk by Nobody: 7:13am On Jul 06, 2014
castrogee:

My dear sister,

From your questions and worries I can sense that you are passionate about your future, and you want to make the right choices! Granted, from experience no choice is entirely bad (wrong) or absolutely good (correct) but in the game of choices I think some choices are more rewarding than others. I suppose that you are in Nigeria right now and have the ambition of crossing over to the west to pursue your noble ambition.

Absolutely! When faced with this kind of dilemma of choices you hear a lot of advices both from experts, mediocres, and the downright novice. In regards to your questions I will like to chip-in my advice, which to the best of my knowledge might help you, because i was once in your shoes but now I think I know better.

Going to the UK vs Canada is synonymous with the simple Nigerian comparison of Lekki and VI which is better? The answer depends on the individual/s, but given that some people will prefer UK to Canada and others will do just the opposite tells you that both countries share a lot in common.

In terms of education I will advice you to go for UK and these are my reasons: first, I will categorize these reasons into subheadings which are duration, cost, adaptability, and opportunity.

An average MSc course in the UK takes just one year of two semesters, whereas in Canada it's basically two years of four semesters. Who wants to spend his entire life studying? If you have two assignments to do with different time variations I believe it's wise to choose the one with lesser time commitment.

Cost: remember in UK you have two semesters while in Canada there are four semesters to do. I know some Universities in UK, good universities for that matter where you can do MSc for less than 12000GBP, whereas a good recognized school in Canada will take at least 30,000 CAD in tuition fees alone and that's about 17,000GBP. I know you are looking for the opportunity to work and study but i will disappoint you with a revelation - as a student your work can only pay your house rent. I tell you this my dear sister, because I don't want you to be under the illusion that you will work and make millions, all those stories you hear na complete wash! Furthermore, getting a student job is simply luck and by chance both in UK and in Canada you might be lucky to get something but just know that it's not automatic anywhere and that's the more reason you need to make sure your tuition fees are reasonably low, so that you could have surplus to take care of yourself.

Adaptability: in this category I think I will still choose UK; this is because for someone coming all the way from Nigeria ( a tropical country in the sub Saharan Africa) cold is usually an obstacle and you have to know that the cold in Canada is no joke! Even here in America, the part of America facing Canada is called the New England and sometimes during winter the temperature can be -10 degrees So you should know what I mean now. Going forward the teaching technique in UK is quite similler to that of Nigeria unlike Canada where it's a totally different ball game. I thinks also that Nigeria shares a whole lot in common with UK more than Canada and adaptation will not be much of a problem for you in UK.

Note that the UK degree is valued very well in Nigeria and even in the west. UK remains the education capital and academic destination of the world! Canada's eduction is equally very recognized and valued.

As for opportunities there is a major reason why people choose Canada in preference to UK, and that's in getting residence papers and that where lies the whole difference in these two countries. While it is near impossible to get UK residence papers it's somehow less difficult to get Canada's papers. In fact when you finish your MSc in Canada they will give you a two year visa extension for you to work in Canada but in UK it's nothing. When you hear people shout Canada! It's simply because of the papers. I've a lot of friends in Canada and they complain to me how hard it is to survive in the country.

My sister I've taken out time to write this lengthy sermons to you because I don't want what happened to me to happen to you. I'm a software engineer based in the USA and when I came into America newly I thought all my problems have been solved, so I didn't plan very well while in Nigeria. In fact it was when I have landed in America that I started planning my life and re shaping it. I discovered immediately that all this things we used to hear while in Nigeria about the west na film trick. The reality is that things are as TOUGH here as it is in Nigeria.

Finally, I want you to take your time and plan very well. Cross check your facts don't just depend on the advice of people, but try to understand the reason why you want to travel abroad and plan accordingly. This is because people will tell you things from their own perspective and their own perspective might not be your lot. Another thing I want you to know is that at this your stage in life the sky is your starting point if you plan well. I want you to know that there is no way you can plan well without the Master and that's JESUS so I earnestly advice you to pray and believe strongly in God. I believe God is gonna see you true!

Be blessed.
tnks bro i cnt thank you enough bt ill love highlight something here

1) im nt among the people that so keen on running from nigeria o lol,but i just want a place with limitless opportunities.limitless opportunities in the sense that when im through with my msc i can decided to get a good job in canada or nigeria.if i shld get a job in nigeria,ill definate return home.

2) ill love to ask if uk course work include internship?

3) my uk options are still very open.ill let you knw where i belong soon.

1 Like

Re: Canada Or Uk by Nobody: 7:50am On Jul 06, 2014
@castrogee, nice one bro. God bless you.
Re: Canada Or Uk by highmey(m): 6:45pm On Jul 06, 2014
@Castrogee... Good point you dropped. I wish people can be sincere and straight like you. Nice one bro smiley
Re: Canada Or Uk by dotcomnamename: 6:57pm On Jul 06, 2014
castrogee:

My dear sister,

Be blessed.

You can write this again and again. I concur..

Any day, any time, immigration or not, residency or not, education or not, UK is the best.

[size=15pt]UK[/size]
Exposure..UK
Multicultural...UK
Cert recognition most....UK
Adaptation... UK
Working Permission length as a student.... UK
Currency.... UK
Less Distance to Nigeria.... UK
Cheap air-fare.....UK
-------------------

[size=15pt]CANADA[/size]

Work Permit Immigration-......Canada
Shorter time citizenship.....Canada

WINNER: United Kingdom of Great Britain kiss

End of story...

4 Likes

Re: Canada Or Uk by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jul 06, 2014
dotcom_na_me_na_me:

Any day, any time, immigration or not, residency or not, education or not, UK is the best.

[size=15pt]UK[/size]
Exposure..UK
Multicultural...UK
Adaptation... UK
Currency.... UK
Cheap air-fare.....UK
-------------------

[size=15pt]CANADA[/size]

End of story...

hahahahahahahaha *rolling on the floor* i can imagine you saying it. my uk options are still open
Re: Canada Or Uk by castrogee(m): 8:35pm On Jul 06, 2014
zerray: tnks bro i cnt thank you enough bt ill love highlight something here

1) im nt among the people that so keen on running from nigeria o lol,but i just want a place with limitless opportunities.limitless opportunities in the sense that when im through with my msc i can decided to get a good job in canada or nigeria.if i shld get a job in nigeria,ill definate return home.

2) ill love to ask if uk course work include internship?

3) my uk options are still very open.ill let you knw where i belong soon.

Dear sister,

In reply to your further concerns, I wish to advice your accordingly: there's no country in the world where you won't find opportunities even in Somalia. Also there's no country in the world that is a haven or a basket of opportunities not even in America. Opportunities are more or less 'individialistic' by this I mean while mr A might have the best opportunity in Canada Mr B migt find his in Nigeria, so opportunities are personal... I hope you get what I mean?

In direct answer to your question, let me first assume you are a science student, who wants to pursue her professional career abroad. The first thing you do starts with your decision of which is made up of; course and location, by this I mean for example while Nigeria is the largest economy in Africa, 50% of our GDP comes from our oil sector and 30% comes from finance sector (The banking, the insurance and the stock or money market). Taking the above case as an example, if some one comes to you and says he wants to study space technology in Nigeria, what will be your reaction? Of course you will laugh and maybe you will recommend a psychiatrist for the person.

However, if in America where the American space programs is the biggest in the world, and your friend in America says he wants to go into space technology will you laugh at the person? Absolutely not! Because there are opportunities in that area in America unlike in Nigeria.

Conversely UK has small oil resources unlike in Nigeria, knowing this, if your friend in UK says he wants to go into petroleum engineering, what will be reaction? So from these examples I hope by now you should understand why I said your decision will be determined by course and location.

If for example you are into IT off course America or Germany is your best bet. Let me use myself as an example, I did Computer Engineering in my undergrad in Nigeria. I gained admission to study Engineering mgt in a USA university, coming to the US I discovered that IT is the ruling master in the country, I immmidiately switched to Software Engineering, so you now see how your course (department or discipline if you like) affects your decision of which country you want to go to.

UK vs Canada, dear sister I want you to know that no matter what people tell you about oyinbo country, it will always be different when you see your self abroad because then you will know better. But just know that England is the financial capital of the world. With more than 5000 banks and other financial institutions. Know also that every major international company in the world has it's office either head or branch office in England. Canada is not excluded it has one of the worlds biggest agricultural firms, and other big industries like the blackberry inc.

For me I think the major problem with UK is just that it is hard to get residency papers whereas in Canada it's a bit easy. Having said that, you have to ask yourself dear sister what is my life ambition?

Is my life ambition to work a little bit abroad and retire in Nigeria, or is it just to get education from the west. If your life ambition is the former then I think you may need a place where getting residency paper will not be a problem, but if your life ambition is the latter, definitely you need a place where you can do your MSc in shortest possible time and at low cost and return back to Nigeria.

You see my dear, why I decided to advice you is because I know this is the period in your life when you MUST get it right! Otherwise the consequences of wrong choices might spoil your entire life and you will become frustrated for the rest of your life, God forbid it shall never be your portion in Jesus name.

Don't be in a hurry to take a decision plan carefully and stragize intelligently, I know a lot of people in US who are so frustrated in life. Most of the friends you have posing or doin shakara to you that they are in America don't even know where to lay their heads this night. Honestly you won't believe me, but any sincere person will tell you that Oyinbo country is not rosy, let alone now that there economies are shaking.

Even in America, cities like Detroit, Pholadelphia, Bridgeport etc are worse than what you can imagine. The bottom line of every thing is for you to plan prayerfully, ask God to lead you aright, and I bet you will come out on top!

Remain blessed.

24 Likes

Re: Canada Or Uk by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jul 06, 2014
castrogee:

Dear sister,

In reply to your further concerns, I wish to advice your accordingly: there's no country in the world where you won't find opportunities even in Somalia. Also there's no country in the world that is a haven or a basket of opportunities not even in America. Opportunities are more or less 'individialistic' by this I mean while mr A might have the best opportunity in Canada Mr B migt find his in Nigeria, so opportunities are personal... I hope you get what I mean?

In direct answer to your question, let me first assume you are a science student, who wants to pursue her professional career abroad. The first thing you do starts with your decision of which is made up of; course and location, by this I mean for example while Nigeria is the largest economy in Africa, 50% of our GDP comes from our oil sector and 30% comes from finance sector (The banking, the insurance and the stock or money market). Taking the above case as an example, if some one comes to you and says he wants to study space technology in Nigeria, what will be your reaction? Of course you will laugh and maybe you will recommend a psychiatrist for the person.

However, if in America where the American space programs is the biggest in the world, and your friend in America says he wants to go into space technology will you laugh at the person? Absolutely not! Because there are opportunities in that area in America unlike in Nigeria.

Conversely UK has small oil resources unlike in Nigeria, knowing this, if your friend in UK says he wants to go into petroleum engineering, what will be reaction? So from these examples I hope by now you should understand why I said your decision will be determined by course and location.

If for example you are into IT off course America or Germany is your best bet. Let me use myself as an example, I did Computer Engineering in my undergrad in Nigeria. I gained admission to study Engineering mgt in a USA university, coming to the US I discovered that IT is the ruling master in the country, I immmidiately switched to Software Engineering, so you now see how your course (department or discipline if you like) affects your decision of which country you want to go to.

UK vs Canada, dear sister I want you to know that no matter what people tell you about oyinbo country, it will always be different when you see your self abroad because then you will know better. But just know that England is the financial capital of the world. With more than 5000 banks and other financial institutions. Know also that every major international company in the world has it's office either head or branch office in England. Canada is not excluded it has one of the worlds biggest agricultural firms, and other big industries like the blackberry inc.

For me I think the major problem with UK is just that it is hard to get residency papers whereas in Canada it's a bit easy. Having said that, you have to ask yourself dear sister what is my life ambition?

Is my life ambition to work a little bit abroad and retire in Nigeria, or is it just to get education from the west. If your life ambition is the former then I think you may need a place where getting residency paper will not be a problem, but if your life ambition is the latter, definitely you need a place where you can do your MSc in shortest possible time and at low cost and return back to Nigeria.

You see my dear, why I decided to advice you is because I know this is the period in your life when you MUST get it right! Otherwise the consequences of wrong choices might spoil your entire life and you will become frustrated for the rest of your life, God forbid it shall never be your portion in Jesus name.

Don't be in a hurry to take a decision plan carefully and stragize intelligently, I know a lot of people in US who are so frustrated in life. Most of the friends you have posing or doin shakara to you that they are in America don't even know where to lay their heads this night. Honestly you won't believe me, but any sincere person will tell you that Oyinbo country is not rosy, let alone now that there economies are shaking.

Even in America, cities like Detroit, Pholadelphia, Bridgeport etc are worse than what you can imagine. The bottom line of every thing is for you to plan prayerfully, ask God to lead you aright, and I bet you will come out on top!

Remain blessed.
tnks alot you just open my eyes to some new things ill definately think abt it.
Re: Canada Or Uk by dotcomnamename: 10:18pm On Jul 06, 2014
castrogee:

Dear sister,

Remain blessed.

You can repeat this again and again every minute

kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Canada Or Uk by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 07, 2014
dotcomnamename:

[size=15pt]UK[/size]
Exposure..UK
Multicultural...UK
Adaptation... UK
Currency.... UK
Cheap air-fare.....UK
-------------------

[size=15pt]CANADA[/size]

End of story...

Which UK. Once you finish degree they Chase you out without giving a time to gain experience and develop your skill.

Very over rated. Except you have employment waiting for you as soon as you finish.

At least Canada will give you time to gain some relevant skills that would be used to offset your career.
OP
If you can pay the fees go for Canada.
As per the cold. Wear jacket upon jacket. The truth is that after your studies, the experience you gain will go a long way for you in your future endeavors. Open your eyes

6 Likes

Re: Canada Or Uk by abisolmi(f): 2:17pm On Jul 07, 2014
Hi,

I saw this post and felt your worry and want to add my personal experience having lived and studied in the UK before.
I loved it in the UK even though it was a bit cold compared to what i was used to but there are so many Nigerians there that you would immediately feel right at home. plus you could buy agege bread, plantain and what not. But, note that there are mostly blue colar jobs available. I graduated with very good grades and didnt bother to apply for post study because i thought there would be windows of opportunity available to me upon my return.

I did get a good job here in Nigeria but not as much as my grade deserved. There are now so many "prodigal sons" that have returned to Nigeria now. Most Nigerians who finished schools in the UK and couldnt renew their papers are back home looking for jobs so the return on foreign education is not as beneficial as people feel. for instance, at my place of work, apart from myself, I have two colleagues with foreign degrees and their payis not commensurate with their skills.
I considered Canada for my masters cos of the opportunity of getting a paper. if not for me, atleast for my kids in the future, we all know the benefits of holding one.
I love UK alot trust me, you would feel like you are back home but where the system atleast works and i know that Canada is way colder but the end will justify the means. I think the end is what matters, all the inbetweeners are just that - inbetween. Each country has its own challenges so just brace yourself up and make a decision.

I am now on the verge of leaving for my masters program (in Canada) but this time, i hope to stay alittle longer. there are negatives yes! but my eyes are on the prize. while having a prior experience in a developed country might pave way for me, I am just prepared to withstand whatever challenge might come. So should you.

6 Likes

Re: Canada Or Uk by abisolmi(f): 2:27pm On Jul 07, 2014
I had to cut my post to make it readable. On cheaper accomodations, you could make it work; rather than book a school accomodation, try living off campus. you could read so many PDFs on new comers into your province of choice and see how you can adapt and the things you need to do. Canada has now changed immigration laws to be more condusive for international students so you can ow work 20hrs school term and full time during holidays - same as UK now.
If coming back home, Nigeria cares about the name of the school like; Havard, MIT, Cambridge etc. there are cheap schools in CA too; MUN for instance although you might wanna attend a school in a province that has more job opportunities. U of A for instance is one of the top 5 unis and yet graduates pay like 10,000CAD per session, way cheaper than UK.
On internship, I have no idea on that one although i know there are somany coop available in Canada.

I hope this helps.

cheers
Re: Canada Or Uk by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jul 07, 2014
abisolmi: Hi,

I saw this post and felt your worry and want to add my personal experience having lived and studied in the UK before.
I loved it in the UK even though it was a bit cold compared to what i was used to but there are so many Nigerians there that you would immediately feel right at home. plus you could buy agege bread, plantain and what not. But, note that there are mostly blue colar jobs available. I graduated with very good grades and didnt bother to apply for post study because i thought there would be windows of opportunity available to me upon my return.

I did get a good job here in Nigeria but not as much as my grade deserved. There are now so many "prodigal sons" that have returned to Nigeria now. Most Nigerians who finished schools in the UK and couldnt renew their papers are back home looking for jobs so the return on foreign education is not as beneficial as people feel. for instance, at my place of work, apart from myself, I have two colleagues with foreign degrees and their payis not commensurate with their skills.
I considered Canada for my masters cos of the opportunity of getting a paper. if not for me, atleast for my kids in the future, we all know the benefits of holding one.
I love UK alot trust me, you would feel like you are back home but where the system atleast works and i know that Canada is way colder but the end will justify the means. I think the end is what matters, all the inbetweeners are just that - inbetween. Each country has its own challenges so just brace yourself up and make a decision.

I am now on the verge of leaving for my masters program (in Canada) but this time, i hope to stay alittle longer. there are negatives yes! but my eyes are on the prize. while having a prior experience in a developed country might pave way for me, I am just prepared to withstand whatever challenge might come. So should you.
tnks alot.i share the same view.there are so many uk graduate in the labour market in nigeria.sometimes i just feel uk universities are just after the money being paid by international student. if ill be going to canada,it is to build my cv as strong as possible atleast before returning to nigeria.tnks alot once again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canada Or Uk by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 07, 2014
abisolmi: I had to cut my post to make it readable. On cheaper accomodations, you could make it work; rather than book a school accomodation, try living off campus. you could read so many PDFs on new comers into your province of choice and see how you can adapt and the things you need to do. Canada has now changed immigration laws to be more condusive for international students so you can ow work 20hrs school term and full time during holidays - same as UK now.
If coming back home, Nigeria cares about the name of the school like; Havard, MIT, Cambridge etc. there are cheap schools in CA too; MUN for instance although you might wanna attend a school in a province that has more job opportunities. U of A for instance is one of the top 5 unis and yet graduates pay like 10,000CAD per session, way cheaper than UK.
On internship, I have no idea on that one although i know there are somany coop available in Canada.

I hope this helps.

cheers
tnks
Re: Canada Or Uk by dotcomnamename: 6:08pm On Jul 09, 2014
Zerray. Don't let anyone disguise Canada or UK for you. Pray about it and let God guide you.

[size=15pt]Why is Studying in the UK Better Than the U.S. or Canada?[/size]

Lesson Summary:
Education costs are lower
Shorter time to complete degree
Affordable education policies
Lots of international students
Visa processes
English skills
Culture, life, and fun
Closer to home
Summary- UK is awesome!

You may be considering different options to study abroad. So what are some reasons you should choose to Study in UK over Study in USA or Study in Canada? Here are some reasons why Britain is a much better choice for you. :

How much does it cost?

Education Costs are Lower:

International students studying in the UK pay less than those studying in the U.S. and other countries. The average tuition in the UK is about £6,000 to £7,000 a year, in comparison to $25,000+ in the U.S. for tuition alone. Living costs range between £6,000 and £15,000 in the UK, depending on where you study and on your lifestyle.

How long do programs take?

It takes a shorter time to complete your degree

You will also save a considerably large amount of money while studying the UK compared to the US, simply because your degree will likely take less time to complete. Most programs in the Britain are 3 years, and a masters program takes only 1 to 2 years. In the United States, however, many degree programs are four or even five years long. This will obviously cost you a lot more money in the long run.

Does anyone help international students?

UK education policies are working hard to keep education affordable

You'll obviously have to manage your financial affairs in order to afford your education. However, UK policymakers are taking note at the great influx of foreign students coming from outside the European Union. The UK is continuously aiming to stay competitive so that international students can combat the growing costs of education. This means better visa rules and work regulations, more opportunities, and of course lower costs.

Will I find any friends? :

You'll be joining a huge community of international students

Don't fret if you're worried about not friends in the UK. There are tons of international students who are welcomed each year throughout Britain. In 2003, there were 96,000 students from the general European Union (EU) and over 203,000 students from around the world. UK universities are well prepared for many international students living and studying on their campuses, so there will be plenty of resources for you. Support services, career help, and the general welfare of their students is quite important to these schools.

Does the UK Government support students too?

The visa process in the UK is straightforward

The UK is the second most popular place for international students. Because of the recent visa problems in the United States due to the policies and consequences of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the UK is working towards supplying the demand for English instruction. You can find out a lot more about the visa process for the UK in this lesson. The countries sending the most students to the UK include:

China
India
Greece
Ireland
USA
Germany

What about the language? :

Improve your English skills

The UK is a great place to improve your English skills. The UK has some of the world's best institutes for learning English as a new language, so you're sure to fit right in even if your current English isn't perfect. When you leave the UK you'll find that your English skills have improved significantly! This will help you in your professional career goals, since English is one of the most common languages in the business and technology world.

Is there anything to do, see, or visit?

An amazing opportunity for culture, life, and fun!

The UK offers rich culture spanning thousands of years! You'll find a great enthusiasm to games like cricket and football which isn't prevalent in North America. As well, in terms of music, fashion, and culture, the UK has a unique combination of Europe's best influences. And don't forget, Europe is hours away, so there are so many sights to see- the Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, Colosseum, those are just a very few places you could visit easily while studying in the UK.

Any geographical advantages?

Closer to Home?

One important reason to study in the UK rather than Canada, the U.S. or Australia is that it's still on the Eurasian continent. If your family lives in Europe or Asia, you will be in much closer proximity. This is a great way to get international experience while still maintaining ties close to home. Airplane tickets will be cheaper and perhaps relatives will be able to visit you in Britain while you study. Who knows, they might even bring some yummy treats from home!

Great. Now can you summarize it all into 1 sentence?

Yes- The UK is awesome!

The UK offers plenty of financial advantages supported by both schools and the government, it's extremely welcoming to lots of international students, and it offers all the exclusive advantages of Europe in the English language! It's no wonder the UK is the best place for your studies!

Source: Studyuklearnhub

**************************************************************************************

Canada falling behind on poverty, inequality, says report
Conference Board report card gives Canada a B, ranked 7th out of 17 developed countries

Canada isn't living up to its potential or its reputation when it comes to societal issues like poverty, government and inequality, according to the Conference Board of Canada.

SOURCE: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-falling-behind-on-poverty-inequality-says-report-1.1332406

*********************************************************************************

decide yourself

1 Like

Re: Canada Or Uk by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 09, 2014
dotcomnamename: Zerray. Don't let anyone disguise Canada or UK for you. Pray about it and let God guide you.

[size=15pt]Why is Studying in the UK Better Than the U.S. or Canada?[/size]

Lesson Summary:
Education costs are lower
Shorter time to complete degree
Affordable education policies
Lots of international students
Visa processes
English skills
Culture, life, and fun
Closer to home
Summary- UK is awesome!

You may be considering different options to study abroad. So what are some reasons you should choose to Study in UK over Study in USA or Study in Canada? Here are some reasons why Britain is a much better choice for you. :

How much does it cost?

Education Costs are Lower:

International students studying in the UK pay less than those studying in the U.S. and other countries. The average tuition in the UK is about £6,000 to £7,000 a year, in comparison to $25,000+ in the U.S. for tuition alone. Living costs range between £6,000 and £15,000 in the UK, depending on where you study and on your lifestyle.

How long do programs take?

It takes a shorter time to complete your degree

You will also save a considerably large amount of money while studying the UK compared to the US, simply because your degree will likely take less time to complete. Most programs in the Britain are 3 years, and a masters program takes only 1 to 2 years. In the United States, however, many degree programs are four or even five years long. This will obviously cost you a lot more money in the long run.

Does anyone help international students?

UK education policies are working hard to keep education affordable

You'll obviously have to manage your financial affairs in order to afford your education. However, UK policymakers are taking note at the great influx of foreign students coming from outside the European Union. The UK is continuously aiming to stay competitive so that international students can combat the growing costs of education. This means better visa rules and work regulations, more opportunities, and of course lower costs.

Will I find any friends? :

You'll be joining a huge community of international students

Don't fret if you're worried about not friends in the UK. There are tons of international students who are welcomed each year throughout Britain. In 2003, there were 96,000 students from the general European Union (EU) and over 203,000 students from around the world. UK universities are well prepared for many international students living and studying on their campuses, so there will be plenty of resources for you. Support services, career help, and the general welfare of their students is quite important to these schools.

Does the UK Government support students too?

The visa process in the UK is straightforward

The UK is the second most popular place for international students. Because of the recent visa problems in the United States due to the policies and consequences of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the UK is working towards supplying the demand for English instruction. You can find out a lot more about the visa process for the UK in this lesson. The countries sending the most students to the UK include:

China
India
Greece
Ireland
USA
Germany

What about the language? :

Improve your English skills

The UK is a great place to improve your English skills. The UK has some of the world's best institutes for learning English as a new language, so you're sure to fit right in even if your current English isn't perfect. When you leave the UK you'll find that your English skills have improved significantly! This will help you in your professional career goals, since English is one of the most common languages in the business and technology world.

Is there anything to do, see, or visit?

An amazing opportunity for culture, life, and fun!

The UK offers rich culture spanning thousands of years! You'll find a great enthusiasm to games like cricket and football which isn't prevalent in North America. As well, in terms of music, fashion, and culture, the UK has a unique combination of Europe's best influences. And don't forget, Europe is hours away, so there are so many sights to see- the Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, Colosseum, those are just a very few places you could visit easily while studying in the UK.

Any geographical advantages?

Closer to Home?

One important reason to study in the UK rather than Canada, the U.S. or Australia is that it's still on the Eurasian continent. If your family lives in Europe or Asia, you will be in much closer proximity. This is a great way to get international experience while still maintaining ties close to home. Airplane tickets will be cheaper and perhaps relatives will be able to visit you in Britain while you study. Who knows, they might even bring some yummy treats from home!

Great. Now can you summarize it all into 1 sentence?

Yes- The UK is awesome!

The UK offers plenty of financial advantages supported by both schools and the government, it's extremely welcoming to lots of international students, and it offers all the exclusive advantages of Europe in the English language! It's no wonder the UK is the best place for your studies!

Source: Studyuklearnhub

**************************************************************************************

Canada falling behind on poverty, inequality, says report
Conference Board report card gives Canada a B, ranked 7th out of 17 developed countries

Canada isn't living up to its potential or its reputation when it comes to societal issues like poverty, government and inequality, according to the Conference Board of Canada.

SOURCE: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-falling-behind-on-poverty-inequality-says-report-1.1332406

*********************************************************************************

decide yourself
woooow im impressed.cn i hv some names of good schools in uk not just england pls
Re: Canada Or Uk by Godson201333(m): 7:26pm On Jul 09, 2014
castrogee:

My dear sister,

Be blessed.

This is just the truth however i just do not think i could explain more of these facts to some of our people out there cos they are gonna think you dont want them to travel out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canada Or Uk by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jul 09, 2014
I know someone with a master's degree from the UK, no papers and job, went back to naija . After 6 months staying at home, attending test upon interview. Later settled for this 30k mtn customer care.

Akin to working with ssce or first degree. Wasted money and time.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Guyana - Telling It As It Is / Any One In New Zealand And Living There / Have You Ever Been Stranded While Traveling? Share Your Experiences.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 215
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.