Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training - Fashion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training (84707 Views)

Check Out Your Nigeria Brides On My African Bride Episode -1 / Photo: Check Out This Funny Head Gear(gele) A Woman Wore To An Occasion / This Is Me In My African Print Dress. I'd Like To Read Your Comments. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 3:32pm On Dec 04, 2014
Diagram

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 3:35pm On Dec 04, 2014
The back is pretty straight forward. Place the pattern on your fabric and cut after adding your seam allowance AND ZIP allowance ( very important. You don't need to rotate the back pattern since there is no cowl at the back.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by goforwardagu: 2:39pm On Dec 05, 2014
@Larosa,thanks for the pictures

pls i would like to knw if the same process of tilting the pattern away from the center front is also applicable if i want a lowered neckline.

a neckline of say 7inches.

thanks
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:44pm On Dec 05, 2014
goforwardagu:
yeeeeeeyyyyeeeeee and she is back cheesy

gud to av u back. wink

waiting for the pix 2mrw kiss

You are too funny grin

In response to your question, yes you need to tilt the pattern for any size of cowl you are doing whether low, high or medium, Using my sample you would get a depth of about 5" . For a neckline of 7" line A - C should come lower.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:50pm On Dec 05, 2014
After cutting out the back proceed to cut out the lining if applicable.

For the back just place your already cut out fabric on the lining and cut.

For the Front if you added 1" seam allowance along line A -C, reduce the allowance when cutting the lining to 1/2". This will make the lining to pull in the fabric a bit so it does not show after sewing.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:02pm On Dec 05, 2014
Meanwhile more pix......

The first time i saw this dress i just knew i would not rest until i made a copy, it really is a show stopper.

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:03pm On Dec 05, 2014
So i did just that but with a patterned fabric...

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:06pm On Dec 05, 2014
This dress is black chiffon fully draped evening gown, with beading detail on the bust, back and hip area.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:08pm On Dec 05, 2014
We will continue the cowl gown tomorrow its been a very busy day shocked
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by Nobody: 7:37am On Dec 06, 2014
larosa:
Call, SMS or whatsapp 08033304712 la Rosa Fashions for inquiries about our training programs or sewing of your clothes. We are located at Ajah Lagos.

Hi.. Pls do accept I.T. Student?
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by goforwardagu: 2:38pm On Dec 12, 2014
hmmmmmmm@Larosa very nice picture explanation and very easy to understand too.

would get back to u on it.

please come back oh,waiting for the completion of the gown.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:28pm On Dec 26, 2014
Tswaggs1:

Hi.. Pls do accept I.T. Student?

Unfortunately no for now till i complete some registeration.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:32pm On Dec 26, 2014
goforwardagu:
hmmmmmmm@Larosa very nice picture explanation and very easy to understand too.

would get back to u on it.

please come back oh,waiting for the completion of the gown.

Thanks dear..

Ok , so attach your lining (if you are using lining) sewing along the neckline for the front and back pieces. There are so many ways to attach lining but i would be teaching what i use.
At the back, after sewing the neck lining and fabric toghether, sew lining and fabric down the zip area. Notch your fabric and flip over to the right side. Iron carefully ( pls dont iron Lycra oh grin)
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:35am On Jan 16, 2015
Hello friends hope its not too late in the month to say HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

May the Good LORD bless us all.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:42am On Jan 16, 2015
@ goforwadagu , hello dear abeg don't vex for my long overdue update it was December rush oh and i promise to post some lovely pix of what i have been up to.

So, in conclusion of our dress....

We want to work on the lower part of the dress now. Its called a circular skirt, very straight forward and easy to draft. There are about 4 ways of cutting this depending on how full you want it but mine is a full circle. The same technique applies to peplum attachments .

We need just 2 measurements , waist and length.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:10am On Jan 16, 2015
Full circular skit:

1. Waist measurement deduct 1 inch multiply result by 1/6. For example a waist of 31" minus 1" = 30 x 1/6 = 5.

However to ensure we have seam allowance i usually add 1/2" to the final result. So in this case add 1/2" to 5 to get 5 1/2".

2. Determine how long you want the skirt. i used 24" for mine. Add 1 " for hemming and 1/2" to allow us join the waist area to the upper part of the dress. We now have 24 + 1 1/2 = 25 1/2".
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:30am On Jan 16, 2015
3. You can draw on paper first or directly on your fabric.

4. Fold your fabric in four. At the apex ( the pointy part where the four folds start from.) measure both ways . Ensure your fabric is longer than the desired length of the skirt. This would give some room to manipulate especially with soft fabrics.

Your fabric or paper should look like this:

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:32am On Jan 16, 2015
Cut out your skirt

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:40am On Jan 16, 2015
Your skirt part should look like this.:

It is advisable you leave it to hang for about 24 hours so that the hem can stabilize.

4. Next , cut the lining the same way attach and join to the upper part of the dress.

5. I used a metal like mesh for my own dress to cover the waist joint you may use a belt or some other trimming if you so desire.

6. Attach your zip and close up the lower back.

7. For hemming this kind of soft fabric, i prefer to use an industrial weaving machine for serging. I avoid the stress of trying to fold very soft fabric.

8. The dress is sleeveless. I ran bias tape on the armhole folded it in and hand stitched because i dont want the stitches to show in front.

9. wear and enjoy!

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:47am On Jan 16, 2015
The finished dress should look like this.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:52am On Jan 16, 2015
For enquiries about training programs or sewing of your dresses call, sms or whatsapp 080 3330 4712.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by eveningbaker: 8:57am On Jan 16, 2015
If you wish to search for evening dresses 2015 that go well with the modern trend,just click this option first.It has a full stock of a comprehensive range of [url="http://www.gbridal.com/special-occasion-dresses/evening-dresses-2015.html"]2015 elegant evening dresses[/url] classified according to the style,color and designs you need. Gbridal is always your first and at the same time maybe the last choice for cheap evening dresses 2015,long evening dresses 2015. So just move your mouse in your hand and you are sure to find a suitable one.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 9:24am On Jan 16, 2015
eveningbaker:
If you wish to search for evening dresses 2015 that go well with the modern trend,just click this option first.It has a full stock of a comprehensive range of [url="http://www.gbridal.com/special-occasion-dresses/evening-dresses-2015.html"]2015 elegant evening dresses[/url] classified according to the style,color and designs you need. Gbridal is always your first and at the same time maybe the last choice for cheap evening dresses 2015,long evening dresses 2015. So just move your mouse in your hand and you are sure to find a suitable one.

Hmmmm, lovely , lovely dress but for posting on my thread i am definitely copying this dress. grin grin grin
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 4:44pm On Jan 16, 2015
Olive green bustier gown with lace jacket for day or night.

With Jacket:

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 4:46pm On Jan 16, 2015
Without jacket for night.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 4:47pm On Jan 16, 2015
Casual jacket

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 4:49pm On Jan 16, 2015
larosa:
Want to learn sewing from scratch or maybe already know how to sew and want to brush up your skills?

Already know how to sew but you don't know how to use patterns?

Want to learn sewing but pressed for time ( nursing mother, youth corper, banker, student etc) ?

No problem.

You have the opportunity to take short courses ranging from one week to 4 weeks . Tailored syllabus according to what you need to learn.

Students from age 12 years to adults accepted.

Call , SMS, whatsapp 080 33304712.

Remember time waits for no man.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 4:52pm On Jan 16, 2015
December last year was weddings galore here are some pictures from one of the weddings:

This is a flowing pink dress. The client and i decided to make the bodice one side lace and the other side plain.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 4:53pm On Jan 16, 2015
It was fun all the way with some lovely dresses made by la Rosa Fashions:

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 4:54pm On Jan 16, 2015
The lovely bride.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by UmmTwins2: 10:33am On Jan 19, 2015
I'm so wishing I cld sew like this, u'r vry gifted Larosa. I learnt fashion designing for awhile too bt I jst wish I cld be ds good. Currently I'm making couple of dresses for myself, jst simple designs I thought of on my own n sm frm a ghanaian lookbook frm a magazine I've got. I might upload sm of dem here( hoping u'd give me sm words of encouragement) I'm planning to look for a vry good outfit to perfect my skill, but many designers too dey charge for training KAI! n I'm in Abj. Sorry for my long tory, I'm rily impressed wt ur work. Wish u were in Abj o chaiii lol
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by goforwardagu: 2:22pm On Jan 19, 2015
@larosa,i no vex at all oh.i trust u naa.tanks for completing the dress.would send in mine wen am done as well.

hmmmmm lovely girlie styles u have hre wink very nice indeed.

did u make d wedding gown as well?

keep it up.......larosa is going places cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Mexican Woman Looks Like Real Life Vampire After 49 Body Modifications (Graphic / Some Men Are No Longer Behaving And Dressing Like Men (Photos) / Female Guests Bare Cleavage At Lagos Wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.