Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training - Fashion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training (84671 Views)

Check Out Your Nigeria Brides On My African Bride Episode -1 / Photo: Check Out This Funny Head Gear(gele) A Woman Wore To An Occasion / This Is Me In My African Print Dress. I'd Like To Read Your Comments. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by noncy21: 2:06pm On Jan 25, 2015
This is wow! Well done ma.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jan 25, 2015
hey ladies what do u think about this dress?

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by UmmTwins2: 9:26am On Jan 26, 2015
'morning house. Hp y'all had a nice wkend. Larosa I've a quick questn, pls. Can a princess cut give the same effect as a breast cut(as in breast tube? 10x
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by UmmTwins2: 9:29am On Jan 26, 2015
UmmTwins2:
'morning house. Hp y'all had a nice wkend. Larosa I've a quick questn, pls. Can a princess cut give the same effect as a breast cut(as in breast tube? 10x
na b.reast tube I write o, not bossom.lol
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 10:16am On Jan 26, 2015
UmmTwins2:
na b.reast tube I write o, not bossom.lol

Good morning . to the best of my knowledge yes but u need to really increase the upper part of the princess dart to hold d bust firmly. ie tighten the upper chest area.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by goforwardagu: 3:19pm On Jan 26, 2015
hmmmmmmm the tutorial on the sleeve is on point. welldone @larosa

meanwhile i have some things to say about the wonderful woman behind larosa fashions.

met her last year sometime around Nov and from first meeting we hit it off.one would think we have known each oda for years.talking to her was and is still easy.learning from her was equally simple(from her explanation on dis thread am sure u can agree with me).we talked about everytin and anytin even down to shares and investment. that's how much of a simple and down to earth person she is.

abt larosa and her teaching,i tell u dis,if u want 1st class teaching with experience and where your questions will be answered very well then you should get in touch with her.if you want to be a pro in pattern making and become a designer in a short while(if u r serious oh) then you need to get in touch with her.if u want to knw ow to handle chiffon,lycra and oda funny fabrics den larosa is where u shld be.
after our meeting ,saying gudbye was difficult but then i can call her weneva i want grin. cheesy grin

5 Likes

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by mamatochi: 7:00pm On Jan 26, 2015
love u plenty ma, thanks for taking time to put us thru the sleeve tutorials may d lord bless u
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:35pm On Jan 26, 2015
goforwardagu:
hmmmmmmm the tutorial on the sleeve is on point. welldone @larosa

meanwhile i have some things to say about the wonderful woman behind larosa fashions.

met her last year sometime around Nov and from first meeting we hit it off.one would think we have known each oda for years.talking to her was and is still easy.learning from her was equally simple(from her explanation on dis thread am sure u can agree with me).we talked about everytin and anytin even down to shares and investment. that's how much of a simple and down to earth person she is.

abt larosa and her teaching,i tell u dis,if u want 1st class teaching with experience and where your questions will be answered very well then you should get in touch with her.if you want to be a pro in pattern making and become a designer in a short while(if u r serious oh) then you need to get in touch with her.if u want to knw ow to handle chiffon,lycra and oda funny fabrics den larosa is where u shld be.
after our meeting ,saying gudbye was difficult but then i can call her weneva i want grin. cheesy grin

Awwwww, God bless you dear. I wish we had spent more time together it was really fun. Thanks for the vote of confidence oh. Bless you. smiley
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:35pm On Jan 26, 2015
mamatochi:
love u plenty ma, thanks for taking time to put us thru the sleeve tutorials may d lord bless u

Amen and Amen...
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:45pm On Jan 26, 2015
SEWING LYCRA 101 grin grin

Items needed:

1. Lycra fabric
2. A wax candle
3. Sewing machine and thread.

As i said some pages back, i loooovvvee sewing Lycra. I can cut and sew a Lycra dress in about 3 hours if i really want to rush thats how easy i have found it out to be if you get over your fear of Lycra.

1. Decide on your design and cut it out.

2. I don't normally include seam allowance in my shaped Lycra dresses because its a stretchy fabric. It tends to look sloppy when it does not hug a bit.

3. After cutting, you would want to sew next. Hold the fabric down firmly with two fingers and stretch it slightly. Take a stick of wax candle in the other hand and rub it firmly on the fabric wherever you intend sewing (just like rubbing chalk on a blackboard).

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:50pm On Jan 26, 2015
Please note that you are NOT to rub the candle all over the fabric but only along the sewing line.

4. You should notice a white mark on your fabric.

5. Keep rubbing the wax as you sew along.

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by noncy21: 7:53pm On Jan 26, 2015
Wow! Just like dat! Tnx ma. U ar d best. May God continue to shower His blessings upon u for ur selfless service.

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:58pm On Jan 26, 2015
6. Always stretch the fabric even when sewing, this helps to prevent the thread from breaking when the fabric has to stretch to fit your body.

7. If you have the patience, you can sew two rows of thread along each seam to reduce the stress on the thread.

8. The white candle mark is quite noticeable. You may wash it off before wearing ( especially for black and other dark fabrics), or just rub it slightly.

9. DO NOT iron the wax. it would bond more with the fabric and become a real headache to remove later.

10. Some people use newspaper instead of wax but i personally don't subscribe to that. I feel it makes the seam slack.

11. Wear and enjoy!!!

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:00pm On Jan 26, 2015
By the Grace of God i would start the tutorial for the blue dress by Saturday evening.

Take care ladies.

Call, sms or whatsapp on 080 3330 4712 for inquiries about training and sewing of your dresses.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:03pm On Jan 26, 2015
noncy21:
Wow! Just like dat! Tnx ma. U ar d best. May God continue to shower His blessings upon u for ur selfless service.

Amen and on you too.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by mamatochi: 8:22pm On Jan 26, 2015
ma wats the measurement for the red sleeve i mean length and width. from ur explanation does it mean there will be no shape for the cap.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 10:56pm On Jan 26, 2015
mamatochi:
ma wats the measurement for the red sleeve i mean length and width. from ur explanation does it mean there will be no shape for the cap.

length I used 20 inches width 18 inches on fold . no u don't need cap height or bicep for this kind of sleeve its just a square material joined to the dress like when u r sewing buba sleeve.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by BrownBelle: 11:29pm On Jan 26, 2015
Hi Larosa, I am an upcoming fashion designer and I must say you're really talented. I love the fact that you use patterns. I sew with patterns too. It's the easiest way to learn. May God bless the work of your hands.

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by UmmTwins2: 3:03pm On Jan 27, 2015
Thank u so much, Larosa. May God continue to bless ur work

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by UmmTwins2: 12:20am On Jan 28, 2015
larosa:

Good morning . to the best of my knowledge yes but u need to really increase the upper part of the princess dart to hold d bust firmly. ie tighten the upper chest area.
hw d'u mean "increase d upper part of d princess dart"? 10x ma'am
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 3:58pm On Jan 29, 2015
UmmTwins2:
hw d'u mean "increase d upper part of d princess dart"? 10x ma'am

the princess dart line would pass over your bust vertically right?

the part holding your upper chest ( above d bust between your neck and bust )should be tightened until the material hugs your chest firmly.

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by UmmTwins2: 2:27pm On Jan 31, 2015
10x vry much. The tightness can be determined using d "across chest" measurement nau, right?
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by UmmTwins2: 2:31pm On Jan 31, 2015
Happy wkend madame Larosa! N so we'r (im)patiently waiting for d blue dress tutorial 2day cheesy 10x

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:33pm On Jan 31, 2015
UmmTwins2:
10x vry much. The tightness can be determined using d "across chest" measurement nau, right?

Right.

the blue dress tutorial would have to wait a bit am quite busy but I will try my best.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by noncy21: 9:31pm On Jan 31, 2015
larosa:

Right.

the blue dress tutorial would have to wait a bit am quite busy but I will try my best.
ok ma. We are patiently waiting. Tnx and av a glorious weekend.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by bimbo2: 9:46pm On Jan 31, 2015
Larosa you are indeed blessed. this thread is very helpful. while we are waiting, Larosa can you pls include how to create darts on the pattern, thats one of my major headaches?
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 2:22pm On Feb 05, 2015
bimbo2:
Larosa you are indeed blessed. this thread is very helpful. while we are waiting, Larosa can you pls include how to create darts on the pattern, thats one of my major headaches?

Hello ladies. so sorry I have been off for a while its really busy at my end.

on the issue of darts in patterns I would explain as we go along but I must warn that this is going to be a long tutorial and I have to see pix of what you are doing as we progress.

By the Grace of God I will start something tomorrow.

Note that its going to be full pattern work as I don't use free hand.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 2:25pm On Feb 05, 2015
However, even if you don't know how to use patterns, with a mid level knowledge of sewing you should be able to create the same outfit with free hand.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by goforwardagu: 2:54pm On Feb 05, 2015
am with u all the way ma'am grin cheesy

cant wait wink

God bless u real good

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 9:54am On Feb 07, 2015
Hello ladies hope you all had a great week.

The basic pattern making tutorial starts this evening and like I said its going to be very detailed.

you will need....

brown paper
sharp dark pencil
eraser
very long ruler
tape measure
French curves ( optional)

see you in the evening ......

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by oduamine: 10:30am On Feb 07, 2015
ok tools available......following
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 9:20pm On Feb 07, 2015
Construction of basic pattern for women's wear

As i said this tutorial is going to be detailed so its not a one day or rushed thing. If we are able to get it right, it will really help us in "dissecting" those lovely looking styles we would all love to copy and make for ourselves.

A. The Body Lines.

Think of your body as a series of lines carrying information. These lines intersect, some are curved and some are straight. Some are vertical, some horizontal. The major lines are the bust line, hip line waist line , shoulder line, the center back and center front.

1. Get your measurements ready (bust, waist, hip. shoulder, shoulder to waist). other measurements would be added as we go along.

2. Lay out your paper, the width should be at least half of your hip or bust ( choose the bigger one).

3. Draw a horizontal line at least 2 inches from the top edge of the paper. label it top line.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Mexican Woman Looks Like Real Life Vampire After 49 Body Modifications (Graphic / Some Men Are No Longer Behaving And Dressing Like Men (Photos) / Female Guests Bare Cleavage At Lagos Wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.