Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,370 members, 7,812,091 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:56 AM

Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam (3140 Views)

Fire Breaks Out At The Uk's Biggest Mosque / Onyeachonam Caught In Fraud Deal In London; Sentenced To 8yrs In Prison / Deported Nigerian Conman Sets Up Political Party (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by youngmonie: 9:06pm On Jul 03, 2014
A fraudster nicknamed 'Fizzy' because of his love of champagne has been jailed for eight years for conning vulnerable pensioners out of their life savings. Frank Onyeachonam ran the UK end of global lottery scam that was orchestrated from his native Nigeria for seven years to fund his lavish millionaire’s lifestyle. It involved hundreds of perpetrators in several countries, detectives say.
In the UK, 38-year-old Onyeachonam conned pensioners out of sums from £2,000 to £600,000, deliberately targeting his victims because they were potentially vulnerable to his tactics
While he bled them of their life savings, Onyeachonam enjoyed a life of fast cars, champagne and designer clothes.
Pictures he posted on Facebook show he spent the cash on Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Armani designer clothes, Rolex watches, Porsches and Maseratis. He even stuck wads of what look like £50 notes in his Buzz Lightyear toy.
Onyeachonam, of Canning Town, east London, was found guilty at the Old Bailey of conspiracy to defraud following a three-week trial.
Lawrencia Emenyonu, 38, and Bernard Armah[b][/b], 51, both of Wood Green, north London, were also found guilty of money laundering. All three denied the charges.
Emenyonu was jailed for 18 months while her partner Armah received an eight-month term.

Judge Rebecca Poulet QC, said there had been 'some very serious outcomes' for the victims caught up in the scam.
She told married father-of-two Onyeachonam: 'I judge your culpability to be very high. This was a very well thought out operation, sophisticated in both its planning and its operation.
'Mr Onyeachonam, you targeted these individuals because they were elderly and likely to agree and be tricked by this scam.'
This was demonstrated in the fraudster’s own notes in which he described them as 'crippled, old or poor', she said.

The harm that was caused to these people could not just be calculated in financial terms but also on the 'dreadful impact ' on their lives, mental capacity and relationships with loved-ones.
The judge went on: 'You contested the case in the face of powerful evidence. You demonstrated the arrogance that you must have carried with you throughout this fraud by continuing after you knew that the police had raided your premises.'
The ruse - known as an 'advance fee' fraud - saw Onyeachonam send victims emails claiming they had won millions of pounds on a non-existent Australian lottery and requesting a charge to release their winnings. Investigators traced 14 victims - mainly from the U.S. but including one from Britain - who were defrauded of a total of around £900,000.
But detectives believe this is the 'tip of the iceberg' with evidence suggesting there may have been as many as 400 victims and the sum may be as high as £30 million.
Onyeachonam was seen as the key figure in the UK but police suspect a criminal network was in place in several countries around the world. Authorities found an alleged co-conspirator abroad had an email containing the details of more than 100,000 potential victims.

The defendant was thought to have started working on the scam almost immediately after he arrived in the UK from Nigeria in 2005, and was said to have carried on into 2012 while he was on bail following his arrest the year before.
His crimes were uncovered in a three-year operation led by the National Crime Agency with assistance from the Postal Inspection Service and Internal Revenue Service in the US.
When they raided his luxury apartment in Canary Wharf police discovered an 'Aladdin’s cave' of evidence pointing to an advanced fee scam.
Among 200 exhibits were notebooks containing the names, addresses, cash tallies and other personal details relating to 406 people. Police estimate that the fraud is likely to have run to at least £5 million and possibly as high as £30 million[b][/b] if all those in the notebooks suffered losses

Mr Brown said he lived a 'cash rich' lifestyle, earning the nickname 'Fizzy' for his taste for expensive champagne. Photographs show him surrounded by cash and bubbly in nightclubs.
His car collection included Porsches and Maseratis while his Thames-side flat was full of luxury brands such as Gucci and Louis Vuitton when it was searched by police.
Onyeachonam was the key figure as far as the 'UK nexus' was concerned but detectives believe this was part of an international enterprise.
The alleged mastermind or 'chairman' of the network is based in Nigerian capital Lagos and he is currently under investigation by authorities there.
Asked how many people were working on the global scam, Mr Brown said: 'Name a country and there seems to be a connection. It’s been almost impossible for us to track everybody down. They’ve all got responsibility for their own country.'
The prosecution has moved for a confiscation hearing for Onyeachonam.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2679755/Nigerian-conman-called-Fizzy-loved-champagne-scammed-pensioners-life-savings-fake-lottery-fund-lavish-party-lifestyle.html
Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by Valuee(m): 9:11pm On Jul 03, 2014
Every day for the thief, one day for the owner. Itz just a matter of time before one is caught

1 Like

Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by madamoringo(f): 9:18pm On Jul 03, 2014
That is an Ibo name? Which state is he or his father from?? undecided undecided

4 Likes

Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by Abbott(m): 9:22pm On Jul 03, 2014
shocked
Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jul 03, 2014
ibo people!!! giving Nigeria bad name since 1914

2 Likes

Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by NwaNimo1(m): 9:43pm On Jul 03, 2014
UK biggest conman my ar5e . .. . .

Most chief execs of UK banks dey scam pass this one - and even then get payoffs when they are caught.

1 Like

Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 03, 2014
---
Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by Lordabas: 9:57pm On Jul 03, 2014
Hmm
Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by Lordabas: 10:01pm On Jul 03, 2014
Onyeachonamthe scammer ! Guess Nigerians breaks record in both good ways and bad ways
Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by Kanwulia: 10:08pm On Jul 03, 2014
KWENU!!!! YAAAAAAAAAH!!!! grin

2 Likes

Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by dont8(m): 10:09pm On Jul 03, 2014
Is a Nigerian, don't you get that?
Frank Onyeachonam ran the UK end of global lottery scam that was orchestrated from his native Nigeria for seven years to fund his lavish millionaire’s lifestyle. It involved hundreds of perpetrators in several countries, detectives say.

madam_oringo: That is an Ibo name? Which state is he or his father from?? undecided undecided

6 Likes

Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by NwaNimo1(m): 10:11pm On Jul 03, 2014
madam_oringo: That is an Ibo name? Which state is he or his father from?? undecided undecided

Lagos....where else, grin

2 Likes

Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jul 03, 2014
^^^^

God forbid! angry

I reject that for Lagosians and every other Yoruba!!!

2 Likes

Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by bbdexk: 10:19pm On Jul 03, 2014
If only they could used their tricks in right direction.

1 Like

Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by NwaNimo1(m): 10:22pm On Jul 03, 2014
babe_online: ^^^^

God forbid! angry

Igbo's have 'colonized' and own 47% of Lagos, , , , , grin

5 Likes

Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by yorex2011: 10:26pm On Jul 03, 2014
Hian! shocked shocked shocked
On-b-live-ebo
D guy wicked sha o...
Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by FreeGlobe(f): 10:30pm On Jul 03, 2014
babe_online: ^^^^

God forbid! angry

I hope you didn't include the igbo part of lagos in your lagosians
Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jul 03, 2014
Nwa_Nimo:

Igbo's have 'colonized' and own 47% of Lagos, , , , , grin

With money they got from Lagos/YorubaLand abi?

You guys should better start praying Naij does not split. If it does, your tax will be hefty.

You cannot reap where you did not sow.

1 Like

Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 03, 2014
FreeGlobe:
I hope you didn't include the igbo part of lagos in your lagosians
God forbid!

I mean Lagosians. Just as some of you will say Imolites. You people(ibos) know who you mean when you people say that.
Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jul 03, 2014

His father is from the Aguleri evil forest.
Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by ChristyG(f): 11:24pm On Jul 03, 2014
Nwa_Nimo:

Lagos....where else, grin
stop denying ur kinsmen.he is obviously from d eastern shithole like u.idustrious criminals

2 Likes

Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by NwaNimo1(m): 11:24pm On Jul 03, 2014
babe_online:
With mpney they gor from Lagos/YorubaLand abi?

You guys sould better start praying Naij does not split. If it does, your tax will be hefty.

You cannot reap where you did not sow.

And your 'rents' will go up in Lagos..... grin

(Imagine an 'Igbo man' renting from a 'non igbo' in Igbo land? - sh..iit like dat will never happen)
Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jul 03, 2014
^^^

Non Yoruba's will pay special tax.
Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by NwaNimo1(m): 11:28pm On Jul 03, 2014
babe_online: ^^^

Non Yoruba's will pay special tax.

And Yoruba's will pay increased rent on the 'igbo' properties they occupy,

1 Like

Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jul 03, 2014
Christy G: stop denying ur kinsmen.he is obviously from d eastern shithole like u. idustrious criminals

LMFAO!!

grin
Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jul 03, 2014
Nwa_Nimo:

Ibos with 2X2 shops will be deported to alaibo.

With that, Lagos will be -90% ibos.
Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by ebankole: 11:34pm On Jul 03, 2014
Ibo kwenu...kwenu ooo

thats my ibo brother doing us proud over there in U.K

cheiii,i hope Oyel moni safe my Uncle Uche soon amemm oo

cheiiii
Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by ebankole: 11:35pm On Jul 03, 2014
babe_online:
Ibos with 2X2 shops will be deported to alaibo.

With that, Lagos will be -90% ibos.

You are getting him wrong nah ma'am he meant ajegunle aka lagos slum,Ibo plenty there so teyy,enh

no be tok am o nah wetin we all knw o
ehn eh,i don tok my own o

1 Like

Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jul 03, 2014
Are you an idiott? All the time. Madam_oringo? Or do you take sunday's off for good behaviour?? undecided
Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by Vivalavida99(f): 12:36am On Jul 04, 2014
Keep deceiving yourselves, last i checked, the article says Nigerian, not Igbo or Yoruba.

I was actually hoping to see a discuss where you guys would be debating how to curb this scourge, but here you are grown up men and ladies and supposedly educated folks trying trading blames on which ethnic group the criminal belongs to. Some of you shouldn't have gotten a formal education at all, cuz i think it is a waste. I pity you Nigerians, i really do.

4 Likes

Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by drmikeadams(m): 1:00am On Jul 04, 2014
yoruba people wey like scam pass money sef...go dere house na jazz full every where,,,,ndi iberibe

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uk's Biggest Conman Caught: Frank Onyeachonam by madamoringo(f): 1:20am On Jul 04, 2014
Nwa_Nimo:

Which ibo property? What property does a Mai-rent ibo own in Yoruba land? The day of your sorrows are surely coming, I make you a big promise! The days you will cry worse than 1967 - 1970! Only one war made you cry so hard, this time you will cry in every way even before the first shot of war is fired in your Iboland! Your punishment will not stop till the end of time!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Apc’ll Recover Adamawa Governorship Seat During Bye-election-David Lawal / Gruesome Photos From Bombing At Kano Poly / Obama To Attend Buhari's Inauguration On May 29th.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.