Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,190 members, 7,953,682 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:00 PM

State Your Job Interview Experiences Here - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / State Your Job Interview Experiences Here (16321 Views)

Funny Interview Experiences / ''the Money Or Continue Your Job Hunt Another Place'' / Share Your Job Interview Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 06, 2014
#Following...no experience yetcry,will be back to share real soon#

1 Like

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Exodusontop(m): 2:18pm On Jul 06, 2014
@op....
tnx man. a gr8 and helpful one there. pls can u inbox me ur contacts so i can share smtins wit u 4 a helpful advice. tnx

1 Like

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by sunsky29(m): 2:24pm On Jul 06, 2014
My own b say na half connection tins o,bt I did d interview o.wen the HOUR ask me how I tk kw them,na simple question wey dem ask me nai I cum dey yarn her the history of the company...she com tire to hear cok n bull storyyyyyy cum say its ok,na so she pen somtin down cum direct me to d nxt office.omo na dia I cum dey nervous like say I dey face to face wit sheqau.....d lady in dat office askd me to sit down,she gv me a writtn question. "Write a short essay abt urslf"omo na 5min o.no tym to tink twice,I write reach 11 rows bfore time go.omo d woman chk my work cum tink say I dey do expo.....3 weeks latter phone ringgggggg.welcom to cway port harcourt.bt I don tire for d work.I just wan gather money for sch.

2 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Inosenduatall: 2:30pm On Jul 06, 2014
Happy sunday everyone! The most important thing to do before going for a job interview is to be prepared. Preparedness cannot be overemphasized because it naturally equips you with a sense of confidence. Read up on the company you intend to work for and learn all you can about them I.e their vision, mission statement, names of the MDs at the company, etc. Believe me when I say no information is irrelevant, and these can be found by looking up the company on google or checking out their website.

When faced with the interviewers endeavours to smile always (not like a clown or a psycho o). It helps to calm your nerves especially, and for your interviewers, who doesn't like a well dressed man/woman with an endearing smile? Maintain eye contact and speak up when spoken to. In addition, I'm of the opinion that it is better to keep things light during an interview session. Do not take yourself too seriously, don't be afraid to be crack a little joke here and there, just make sure you're making sense while at it. Getting the job is not a do or die affair so you can afford to be yourself. It is very easy to tell when someone is being fake. Also, ask questions if you have any, and after the interview say your thanks and offer a firm handshake to each of them. In my experience they don't bite.

Also, dress for the occasion. You are assessed first of all by the way you dress. If you are going for a banking job interview or anything along those lines, a corporate suit and tie would suffice. If you are going for an interview in engineering, advertising, media (etc), a traditional suit and tie may not be applicable though. I stand to be corrected. For the guys, you could just wear a shirt on jeans and throw on a blazer of jacket if you feel like it. The koko of my sermon is that SELF CONFIDENCE and PREPAREDNESS is a must if you really desire to get that job. And while you are waiting, don't stop sending out those applications. Turn it to your new hobby, just like Nairalanding.

@all, the phrase 'Are you a he-goat?' has no answer. It has to do with pronunciations and emphatic stress to guage your command of english and diction. More stories please.

Always remember that fortune favours the bold (abi how dem dey talk am again?).

4 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jul 06, 2014
The first interview I went for. Happened March this year. I fumbled so bad. It was for stanbic ibtc bank. I always thought I was good when it comes to addressing people, answering questions or talking to strangers. My voice, my legs everything was shaking. If the interviewers had asked me my name, "I would have said I can't remember "...... it was that bad.......not surprised they did not call me. how can they call me when I couldn't define chemistry! Chaiiiiiiiiiiii embarassed

2 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Rufex07(m): 2:31pm On Jul 06, 2014
Golden Dr.:
I am a lucky guy. Luck however, is a function of your ability to convert chances. After sending all the CV’s both hard, soft and semi soft copies; After networking with people you don’t like; After making unsolicited visitations at your rich uncle’s place every week; what do you do when God opens a way…? I shall focus my story along the lines of grabbing opportunities for keeps. My colleagues have done enough justice to scouting and cv submission...
You must understand that not everyone that applies for a job gets invited for a test or interview. Getting an invitation is an opportunity to prove yourself and the only thing you need to succeed is PREPARATION. Because of the huge population of undergraduates, most aptitude tests are not designed to test you but fail you. The first aptitude test I wrote was PWC’s. The test was not very hard but I failed it. After that test, I knew I had to read. I borrowed GMAT and any material I could lay my hands on and devoured them (If I had read in school the way I read GMAT, I for come out with first class). When I wrote the second test, it was straight success!
Preparation point 1: Read! Don’t just read GMAT, read everything; even abnormal books cos sometimes, you will find abnormal tests. Most times when I’m free, I take up my past textbooks and read them. One day, it paid off handsomely. It was a second stage interview and I was badly dressed as usual, ugly shoe, awkward shirt and worse of all, no Jacket. I was the only one without a jacket. The interview drill was for you to walk into the room, pick a piece of paper from a basket and talk about whatever you find on that paper for 2 mins after thinking about it for a minute. The interviewers were stern looking men who would not utter a word even if you were saying rubbish. They would just tell you ‘thank you’ at the end of your presentation. When it got to my turn, I picked and saw “performance”. I tried to think but nothing came in, so I stopped thinking and started talking. At the tail end of my presentation, I remembered one of Peter Drucker’s quote in one of our text books and quoted it. By the time I was through, one of them looked at me and asked – which school did you graduate from? I knew then that I had represented you guys well and that even the witches in my village would be proud of me! Like you rightly guessed, I passed with flying colours (yellow, green and blue).
Preparation point 2: Become your CV. I shared my first interview experience here sometime ago and told you guys how I was battered by the interviewer. Interestingly, I passed the interview. But I knew that I had a long way to go if I was to succeed at other interviews. I knew that the interview seminars were not enough. Funnily, all the questions came from my CV. The man looked at my CV and said, “so you are team player?” I smiled and said yes, but when he asked a question and I answered, he told me that I was not a team player. I was angry and argued with him. I later got to understand him thanks to Ephraim. Make sure that you can defend your CV. This is very important. Don’t just put big words and powerful skills that you cannot defend. If you don’t know the meaning of anything on your CV, go and learn it now or remove it! In one of my interviews, I was told to describe how to put a table in a word document because I wrote on my CV that I could use Microsoft word and Excel.
Another catch here is to create a story line. Defend all your skills and abilities with past stories, even if they are lies. Just ensure that the stories link together and you don’t get caught lying. Most graduate trainee interviews would be focused on your aptitude and skills cos you are not expected to have experience. They would love it if you can defend your skills. If you claim to have leadership skills, tell them a story of a time when you were the class rep, choir master, youth coordinator etc and exhibited such skills. If you claim to be able to work in teams, tell them of a time when you contributed actively to a team. In one of my interviews, I carried some of my amateur artworks to prove my love for art. The interviewers marvelled and their love for me grew. To prove my leadership skills and ability to work in teams, I told them of the times when I led troublesome assignment groups in school and was able to coordinate uncooperative team members to beat assignment submission deadline. There are no irrelevant experiences as far as they can prove your point. Not all my stories were true but they all linked perfectly! My interviewers were just nodding their heads. I knew I had passed. If your hobbies are playing football, please go there with a ball and jog a little (I am serious!).

Lucky guy indeed but with a Nairaland female gender. Nice write up!

3 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by CaptJHMiller: 2:31pm On Jul 06, 2014
Well, my first was about 2 months ago. I was through someone, he gave the company my CV and I was to go for interview. From the beginning I just know say the thing no get head, instead of them to contact me, na me dey do the contacting. Anyways, day of the interview, I wore my shirt and trouser, tucked in( something I did last years ago) and put on a tie. I got to the company and I asked to see the guy, put he was in a meeting and I had to wait. Na so I wait o! Very nervously for like 30 min. Then he came and was just going up and down kept me waiting for close to 2 hours. When he finaly had my time. I gave him a copy of my CV, can you imagine what he said to me? You are of no use to me, I am looking for experienced people but in your CV I saw AutoCAD! That's how he just browsed through my 2 page CV just to find that 1 line.

IT-How good are you with conversions and units
Me- very good
IT- convert 600mm to fts
Me- did a quick conversion in my head and told him 2fts and he said wrong! (this really threw me off, and I then doubt myself) gave me a calc. But I goofed.. learnt a lesson there, always be confident!
IT- where r u from
Me- told him (north sha)
IT- are you a muslim
Me- yes
IT- are you a practicing muslim
Me- yes (I laughed) I couldn't control it, cz I ddnt see what this had to do with the intervew
IT- how much do u expect to earn
Me- gave him a line about their pay structure
IT- we will have to set up another interview to test you on the AutoCAD, I will get back to you on that.
Me- alright sir, thank you.

This is how it ended o! I had to do follow up as I did from the beginning.. to be continued...

**Edited**
He was very reluctant after all those personal questions and didn't seem convinced, it just looked like that was going to be it for me.
So I thought quickly how can I make this guy interested!? I remember I opened a thread on NL about my final year project, this was how I told him, used his PC open NL did a search and found it. He saw the drawings I did, using Sketchup.

IT- what material did you use for this
Me- wood
IT- we deal with mostly metal.. so..
Me. I also used metal for some parts.

Basically, I noticed he was just looking for an excuse to get rid of me, ias I realised this, I then looked for a a way for him to want me.

3 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jul 06, 2014
Golden Dr.:
abt the Uac, hw do one go abt it.

I just have few tips about the UAC here: http://www.nairamode.com/2014/05/uac-nigeria-plc-management-trainee.html

You can however ask direct questions below the post.
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jul 06, 2014
I did first interview on skype then went to the company and was interviewed by a Nigerian,a South African (white) and an American.

After my interview the asked other people to go home cos I have all they wanted.
Working with the white south african now who is the best boss I have seen all through my entire career.
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jul 06, 2014
sandijey: The first interview I went for. Happened March this year. I fumbled so bad. It was for stanbic ibtc bank. I always thought I was good when it comes to addressing people, answering questions or talking to strangers. My voice, my legs everything was shaking. If the interviewers had asked me my name, "I would have said I can't remember "...... it was that bad.......not surprised they did not call me. how can they call me when I couldn't define chemistry! Chaiiiiiiiiiiii embarassed

lol, you cracking me up.

2 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jul 06, 2014
richarts:

I just have few tips about the UAC here: http://www.nairamode.com/2014/05/uac-nigeria-plc-management-trainee.html

You can however ask direct questions below the post.
since they do not ask dragnet or worforce questions, why was the jib contracted to wfm? Do you have any soft copy of the GRE? if yes, pls let me know.
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by zeb04(f): 2:58pm On Jul 06, 2014
sandijey: The first interview I went for. Happened March this year. I fumbled so bad. It was for stanbic ibtc bank. I always thought I was good when it comes to addressing people, answering questions or talking to strangers. My voice, my legs everything was shaking. If the interviewers had asked me my name, "I would have said I can't remember "...... it was that bad.......not surprised they did not call me. how can they call me when I couldn't define chemistry! Chaiiiiiiiiiiii embarassed

this got me laughing but its alright,there are still so many interviews ahead

2 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by sisiafrika(f): 3:15pm On Jul 06, 2014
Great Ife representing @OP. I really admire your use and command of the language. What dept did u finish from?
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 06, 2014
My first job, the final interview was conducted by a south African and a British. That was in the UK though. During the interview, I noticed a very tiny south African flag label pin on the blouse of one of the interviewers. After the interview, I asked if she was south African, she said yes she was, her British colleague was surprised and mentioned that they have worked together for 5years and didn't know she wasn't British. They said I had good eyes for detail. They asked how I would travel to the office if I was given the job, I had already noticed a lot their staff parking bicycles, most wearing sharp suit while waiting to get cleared into the building. I quickly said by bicycle that I am trying to reduce carbon footprint in the world. They both nod their heads in agreement. Then we got chatting bout the super eagles, bafana bafana and the 3 lions. I got the job a week later.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by SirAweezy(m): 3:17pm On Jul 06, 2014
Kewt: i remember going for an interview in a popular company (don't wanna mention the name here) A panel of 4 interviewers made up of 3 men and a middle aged woman. Everything seem to be going on well until i was asked to name the deputy Governor of Yobe State.

I just laughed and said i didn't know it.

And in my mind i was like if you wanna offer me this job please do and if u won't just bleeep the hell off but don't go about asking questions even you the 'asker' do not know!

Looking back in retrospect, I thank God that those experiences made me the better person that I am today!

Ehehehehe pls who is the commissioner for works for Jigiwa state... Ehehehe some companies shaa!

My first and last Job interview was with an international Media Coy...

Infact, I don't even have my certificate yet.. I went to relax somewhere, a friend now pointed at the MD of the Coy, so I took a step of faith by approaching him at the Car park, the man was nice he gave me his card and ask me to submit my CV... So I did!

After a week, they called me for interview, omo see applicants.. we reach like 60! That was where I saw different sitting styles, different faces of expression.. Different bags, suits(coat). I've even forgotten that I came for an interview...

When I was called in, the HR, BDM, and 1 Senior Editor noticed the chuckle on my face and the 1st question was "what is funny". I said the applicants, (let me put in this form)

Me: Good afternoon(wearing a smiling face)

Interviewers: Afternoon, what is funny ? (They all chorused)

Me: It's not easy honestly... All applicants are too serious( with a big smile)

(They all laughed)

After some questions and answers, they ask me: If a company like this is left in my care at so so year with a balance of so so amount, what can I do to meet so so amount of target and also how do I grow a client base (I was warned to be very practical)

Mehnn na so I turned the table round o.. Na me con dey ask questions.. They gave me a statistics table. You won't believe it, we all forgot it was an interview, I spent 1:30mins it was like a meeting.
Because I turned lecturer...

After some time everyone realized time was far spent... The following day the MD called me ( he didn't even know it was me).

When he saw me.. He said.. You! You are the one! I just smiled and we chatted. The following week the names of successful applicant came out.. I was number 1 out of 10. Guess what after 2months I was promoted to be part of the Management.

I left 7months later to start my own thing... At age 23.

27 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 06, 2014
I was at CHRISLAND school ikeja on 26th June for interview on Geography. Being the first to get there, I was happy to see empty seats, but before I know it the seats were filled with people. The population was not less than 30.
Anybody that went for the interview in the house? Please connect me on BBM 2293C7A9. I want to know if anybody has been called
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by tellwisdom: 3:27pm On Jul 06, 2014
Do people still work ?? sad
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by achmed1(m): 3:29pm On Jul 06, 2014
For Everyone reading this thread and preparing for an interview my advice is embodied in three words;research,prepare and Rehearse.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by misterkay(m): 3:33pm On Jul 06, 2014
Interesting stories...
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Sunkyphil(m): 3:46pm On Jul 06, 2014
I was called up for interview after i had taken an aptitude test,i was first interviewed by the Hr afterwards i went through anoda round of interview; then i was told dat i would be contacted. Then after about a month i was called to come for my employment letter. This happend some few months back. The first round of interview focused on wat was in my cv
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Sike(m): 3:55pm On Jul 06, 2014
I remembered an interview I wrote when the last question said I should NOT attempt question 4 at all. It was at that point I remembered I didn't even read the instruction in the first place which reads "read all the questions first before making an attempt to answer them". Immediately, I knew I was a goat for letting that instruction pass me by. And as usual, my interviewer fired me for that shht saying it's obvious that since I couldn't have the patience to read a simple instruction, how would I have the patience to handle a related issues when I get the job? That our patience is the only thing they needed in their organisation. I LOST! But I thank God I'm now a Winner.

4 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by achmed1(m): 4:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
Research: Research and learn everything you can about the company you are interviewing for. Know their culture ,recruitment process, and interview questions.

Prepare:From your knowledge of the company ,its culture and and their likely questions, sit down and prepare your well " TAILORED" responses to their questions.

Rehearse: Finally and most importantly practise practise and practise your prepared responses. Very important.

Also I would advise the use of INTERVIEWING COACHING SERVICE, like the one JarusHub career services provides.

I personally employed this service provided by nairaland's @Jarus to prepare for my recent PwC interview which I passed.
In a few meetings they prepared me psychologically and helped improve my confidence.

This service afforded me the ooportunity torehearse my prepared responses to PwC likely questions and get immediate feedback and also tips to ace my interview.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 06, 2014
Following secretely
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 06, 2014
Golden Dr.:
since they do not ask dragnet or worforce questions, why was the jib contracted to wfm? Do you have any soft copy of the GRE? if yes, pls let me know.

Trust me I was surprised myself to see workforce conducting the test. If you notice the method workforce is using for this test is kinda different. Have you watched the video they sent out to applicants? This is a new method exclusively for UAC maybe they will adopt it for others. But the test should be expected to be different. Too many recycled questions nowadays.

However GRE will always prepare you for whatever test it is you want to do. I do not have the soft copy. Just hard copy which I was lucky to lay hands on then.
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by ademega(m): 4:44pm On Jul 06, 2014
My first interview- it was two weeks after my service , one of my friends actually helped me to submit my CV to one office at Allen avenue , so i was at home thinking of how to distribute my CV to friends , family members and even well known haters (na job we call am oh ) then phone rang that i should come for an interview by 10am the following day. Immediately i told my uncle and i was happy looking forward to my first interview. I bought some new cloths for the purpose of interviews ,so i went to get my naval blue trousers and white longsleeve top (mistake of my life ) ready . Very early in the morning , i dressed up with my tie but no jacket. Got to the office on time . It was this recruitment office. We were like 10 ,we were called upon one after the other ,when it got to my turn ,the man asked me some questions concerning what was written in my CV and it was their i first messed up because in actual fact ,i copied both objectives and goals from someone else CV . I was just too nverours and the man asked me to relax . He asked about my leadership qualities and i guess he was impressed that was why he asked me to proceed to next stage of the interview that same day which was held at the coy that need new recruits . From ikeja like 5 of us were asked to proceed to Vi. You kn ,i was on white shirt from mile 2 to ikeja ,now to vi in lagos molue. Before ,i got to Vi that day my white has changed colour , and i was looking like a vi conductor . Fortunately for me ,i met d only lady that was posted with me to my village during NYSC at the coy , i had to explain my journey since morning to her and the stress we have gone through ,she was the one that told them and they had to reschedule the interview........

2 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Charbless(m): 4:59pm On Jul 06, 2014
was recently involved on a group interview. Do u knw Ow I passed?
1. It was God
2. Excuse Urslf for a Pee if U're feeling nervous
3. Mind Ur bizns
4. Research, prepare
5. Don't be too serious like ur life depends on dat job.
6. Make sure Ur BB ba3 is full and u're internet active

1 Like

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 06, 2014
I was drilled for over an hour for an entry level admin job, they made me come to their office about 5 times just for almost no reason, I travel over an hour to get to their office all these times. Only for the dude to tell me the pay was 20k. Some HR are just heartless. I didn't blame him shaa, na only me waka come.

6 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by jieta: 5:18pm On Jul 06, 2014
Golden Dr.:
To me not having a job means that the only job i have is to get a job, so in looking for a job, putting to use all resources at my disposal is the way. From job sites, to personally dropping off resume in offices, sending unsolicited applications and using friends and family and yes it worked in the space of four months i wrote over 12 tests and with it attended about 10 interviews.
For my current job, i could not remember when i applied; I guess it was one of those unsolicited mails i sent out. I passed the test, but i was not called, so i called them and asked whassup, the funny part is they had forgotten about me. Well after a week i was called for an interview, answered the only way i could, I was so real at a time i even told the guy how i messed up in many interviews and with laughs he told me, 'you are such an unserious boy'. Well in the end i got the job and yeah it’s a great job, crazy opportunities to learn.
My advice to those still in the hunt, put in all you can to get a job, it is never too much, work on your resume and as much as it is possible keep your mind sharp.
As for interviews, be yourself, interviewers can spot it when u r faking it. Read all u can about the company and the role, but don't over memorize it will put u under pressure. Be current, smile and don’t be scared to make mistakes.
All the best.
what's ur suggestion concerning those that do not go for service after graduation; please reply
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jul 06, 2014
Hmmmm!
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
skillet: I have never and will never work for any man. Thus, i have never been interviewed. Am an ALREADY MADE man.
talk is cheap! How much do u hav?#nonsense.pride

1 Like

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Inosenduatall: 6:24pm On Jul 06, 2014
sisiafrika: Great Ife representing @OP. I really admire your use and command of the language. What dept did u finish from?

Economics bro.
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Inosenduatall: 6:45pm On Jul 06, 2014
chidyhels: I was drilled for over an hour for an entry level admin job, they made me come to their office about 5 times just for almost no reason, I travel over an hour to get to their office all these times. Only for the dude to tell me the pay was 20k. Some HR are just heartless. I didn't blame him shaa, na only me waka come.

Haha...lol. Some days are like that dear. Sometimes I feel like those organizations that pay trash are the ones that will actually stress your life. I no dey use the issue of pay package play o! Will share some more of smh experiences later. Shiiit dey catch me first.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Standard Chartered Bank Graduate Recruitment / Self Employment: The Real Stomach Infrastructure / Waec Date Of Birth Error Correction For Interview!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.