Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,725 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions (18299 Views)

Toyota Corolla Scan Result- Need Help With Solutions / I Need Your Feedback On Ford Windstar 2001-2003 / Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by OROZ(m): 8:08pm On Jul 16, 2015
Ecu upgrade is on take advantage n fix urs
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by OROZ(m): 5:22pm On Jul 19, 2015
Autowiz nig. Doing good job
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 19, 2015
Oroz my man.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by hawklan: 4:09pm On Jul 22, 2015
i have a bit of a problem with my toyota highlander 2002 model dont know if you can help or anybody, the thing is that each time i drive the car i notice a jerk from the transmission and the engine sound begins to rise without the car actually moving accordingly and from that point it begins to misbehave that when i come to a stop the transmission doesnt engage to reverse again till probably the engine cools down. this has been giving me series of headaches as am very confused after i had changed the brain box and gear box. pls i seriously need help on this one.
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by OROZ(m): 9:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
hawklan:
i have a bit of a problem with my toyota highlander 2002 model dont know if you can help or anybody, the thing is that each time i drive the car i notice a jerk from the transmission and the engine sound begins to rise without the car actually moving accordingly and from that point it begins to misbehave that when i come to a stop the transmission doesnt engage to reverse again till probably the engine cools down. this has been giving me series of headaches as am very confused after i had changed the brain box and gear box. pls i seriously need help on this one.
These symptoms u just stated I feel it has to do with the valve body n filter in the gearbox, the filter most have been blocked due to the flow of particles in the gearbox, just take it to a good automatic transmission expert let him inspect the transmission n service the valve body n change the filter or do a thorough wash, I believe it should solve the problem
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by hawklan: 8:27am On Jul 23, 2015
OROZ:

These symptoms u just stated I feel it has to do with the valve body n filter in the gearbox, the filter most have been blocked due to the flow of particles in the gearbox, just take it to a good automatic transmission expert let him inspect the transmission n service the valve body n change the filter or do a thorough wash, I believe it should solve the problem
can you kindly refer a good auto transmission expert to me pls.
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by OROZ(m): 8:49am On Jul 23, 2015
hawklan:
can you kindly refer a good auto transmission expert to me pls.
Where is ur location ?
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by hawklan: 9:38am On Jul 23, 2015
OROZ:

Where is ur location ?
Lagos Amuwo Odofin
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by OROZ(m): 3:54pm On Jul 25, 2015
hawklan:
Lagos Amuwo Odofin
We can always arrange my coming to Lagos for the fix
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by lenuchi(m): 4:26pm On Jul 26, 2015
Hi OROZ, it's really good to have found this thread... nice work you are doing!
Similar transmission issues (jerking and slipping) started suddenly with my RAV4 (2006 Limited V6 2WD) on my way to Abuja from Lagos. The thing packed up shortly after Okene. The trans had to be opened, thoroughly flushed and serviced. It still got burnt few days later. Anyway, its been fixed again... major overhaul. The car drives like new now, but sometimes there's hard shifting at gear 3. Sometimes R thumps in. Sometimes D takes a second or two to engage. Sometimes there are no issues at all.
My trans mech and I now feel its ECU-related, since code C1201 showed up. What do you think? If it comes to a replacement, how much will an upgraded ECU cost? What is my default ECU part number? The upgraded one for the car will be what, please?
Thanks a lot man.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by Godiskind: 9:58pm On Jul 27, 2015
Hi Oroz I scanned a 2002 rav4 which has been packed with a car electrician for 2wks because it refused to start. The 3 different scanners I ran on d vehicle showed 'no stored fault' and 'no code'. I guess after d car developed problem, d battery has been removed and d ignition switch on, which has made d stored information to be wiped away. If my guess is correct, is there any other way I can use my diagnostic scanner to detect d fault of d vehicle? The car electrician has done all he could but cud not solve d problem but is now relying on me to see if I can detect d fault.
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by OROZ(m): 7:10am On Jul 28, 2015
Godiskind:
Hi Oroz I scanned a 2002 rav4 which has been packed with a car electrician for 2wks because it refused to start. The 3 different scanners I ran on d vehicle showed 'no stored fault' and 'no code'. I guess after d car developed problem, d battery has been removed and d ignition switch on, which has made d stored information to be wiped away. If my guess is correct, is there any other way I can use my diagnostic scanner to detect d fault of d vehicle? The car electrician has done all he could but cud not solve d problem but is now relying on me to see if I can detect d fault.
Use a more advanced diagnosing machine like launch autoboss, CJ4 etc not OBD11 scanners to run the scan. For the not starting if you can test ur ecu in another rav4 to confirm it starts(working) that will help, we can now know were to start from. Hoping to hear from you soonest
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by Kashif(m): 8:11am On Jul 28, 2015
lenuchi:
Hi OROZ, it's really good to have found this thread... nice work you are doing!
Similar transmission issues (jerking and slipping) started suddenly with my RAV4 (2006 Limited V6 2WD) on my way to Abuja from Lagos. The thing packed up shortly after Okene. The trans had to be opened, thoroughly flushed and serviced. It still got burnt few days later. Anyway, its been fixed again... major overhaul. The car drives like new now, but sometimes there's hard shifting at gear 3. Sometimes R thumps in. Sometimes D takes a second or two to engage. Sometimes there are no issues at all.
My trans mech and I now feel its ECU-related, since code C1201 showed up. What do you think? If it comes to a replacement, how much will an upgraded ECU cost? What is my default ECU part number? The upgraded one for the car will be what, please?
Thanks a lot man.

Your vehicle does not have the ECU problem that plagued the 03 models. Dou you have an idea what was overhauled in your transmission?
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by OROZ(m): 12:32pm On Jul 28, 2015
This trend is ment for rav4 issues n possible solutions, thanks
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by Godiskind: 4:02pm On Jul 29, 2015
Thanx for ur timely response. I will tell d electrician to check d ecu wit another rav4. I will need to get d autoboss for more flexibilty
OROZ:

Use a more advanced diagnosing machine like launch autoboss, CJ4 etc not OBD11 scanners to run the scan. For the not starting if you can test ur ecu in another rav4 to confirm it starts(working) that will help, we can now know were to start from. Hoping to hear from you soonest
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by Godiskind: 4:01pm On Jul 31, 2015
Of recent I called the electrician to knw if he has checked d ecu and to tell him to confirm d workability of d ecu with another rav4 as u advised. He told me that d rav4 has started, that he didnt do any further work on it. He said d car owner brought someone that used his scanner to detect and fix the problem and the car started. He said d scanner d person used did not require laptop, that it is one small scanning device. The thing suprised me because I scanned d car with my obd2 scanner connected with my laptop, but it didnt detect any code not to talk of fixing d vehicle, even though d scanner showed that d vehicle is compliant with my obd2. The electrician said the guy that scanned d vehicle said that d car owner wrongly entered something that made d car unable to start. My question is this:1. could it be that d small scanning device (without need for laptop) is the autoboss or launch u suggested earlier? 2. Or is it those handheld scanner that is to read code without laptop? And if it is, is it better than d costlier obd2, to d extent of detectng fault which obd2 could not, and fixing the problem? Pls I need u to put me thru pls
OROZ:

Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by bimppyola: 4:12pm On Aug 05, 2015
Any one to give me an advice on toyota rav4
to buy.Am new to autos and i would like to
buy a toyota rav4 which is efficient and
reliable and easy to maintain without any
engine problems .I heard
Toyota rav4 2001-2003 use to have
transmission problem,what about
2004,2005,2006,2007 which one is efficient
and reliable without any problem .Which of
the year can you advise for someone to
buy and which of the engine type do u
recommend is it the V6 or I4engine type or whic other ones

Pls what are the things to take note and check before buying so i wont buy the wrong type with issues
.Your response would be appreciated .Thank
you
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by Experience4u(m): 10:24pm On Aug 05, 2015
I use Rav4 2004 and it is very efficient. No car is problem free, it's all about management. With rav4, you don't need to have a mechanic. Just use the right oil weight and always monitor your car, You are good to go

1 Like

Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by USAutoBuy(m): 8:00am On Aug 06, 2015
Experience4u:
I use Rav4 2004 and it is very efficient. No car is problem free, it's all about management. With rav4, you don't need to have a mechanic. Just use the right oil weight and always monitor your car, You are good to go

2004 R4 IS NOT affected by the issue. Read the topic properly. Only 2001-2003

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by OROZ(m): 9:26am On Aug 07, 2015
hawklan:

How have u managed with this issue, I should be in Lagos this weekend, if u don't mind I would have loved to check it out if it has not been sorted out

1 Like

Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by OROZ(m): 7:17pm On Aug 09, 2015
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by lenuchi(m): 10:40am On Aug 11, 2015
Kashif:

Your vehicle does not have the ECU problem that plagued the 03 models. Dou you have an idea what was overhauled in your transmission?

At that time the valve body and filter were flushed, fibers all changed, a bad solenoid was also replaced... anyway, the transmission mech returned the car last week after fixing the said ECU-related issue, and no issues at all yet.
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by OROZ(m): 6:27pm On Aug 11, 2015
lenuchi:

At that time the valve body and filter were flushed, fibers all changed, a bad solenoid was also replaced... anyway, the transmission mech returned the car last week after fixing the said ECU-related issue, and no issues at all yet.
Good to know, nice one
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by OROZ(m): 4:14pm On Aug 25, 2015
Dynamitek5:
Oroz my man.
Yes o, we dey try
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by calculusx(m): 9:24am On Sep 30, 2015
OROZ:

Yes o, we dey try

When are you likely to be in Lagos?
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by OROZ(m): 10:58am On Sep 30, 2015
Update ur rav4 ecu.
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by calculusx(m): 11:04am On Sep 30, 2015
OROZ:
Update ur rav4 ecu.

[size=14pt] When are you likely to be in Lagos for an upgrade on a Toyota Rav-4 ECU [/size]
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by OROZ(m): 1:12pm On Sep 30, 2015
calculusx:

[size=14pt] When are you likely to be in Lagos for an upgrade on a Toyota Rav-4 ECU [/size]
Call me for details
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by calculusx(m): 1:57pm On Sep 30, 2015
OROZ:

Call me for details

ok
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions by OROZ(m): 9:09am On Oct 05, 2015
calculusx:

ok
Still waiting to hear from you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gear Shift Problem, Please Help I'm Spending Too Much On It / How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? / Car Coolant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.