Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,352 members, 7,822,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? (25494 Views)

NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG: An Unnecessary Battle / Nma Vs Johesu Faceoff: Matters Arising By Deji Gbogi / NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why The Hatred For Doctors??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by ArabianPrince: 9:05am On Jul 11, 2014
I don't even understand why doctors go on strike. Is it part of the oath?. It baffles me when doctors strike over salary and hospital infrastructures. If you are not ok with salary or state of hospital infrastructure....why don't you just leave the country..take foreign exams, take your practice to where you can have better salary, infrastructure and also be appreciated. It is not by force to practice in Nigeria. And those who decide to remain should have no reason to grumble and allow patients to die for no reason.
In summary, if you are not ok with practice in Nigeria, why don't you find somewhere else to go. And if you decide to stay and work in Nigeria...don't go on strike while innocent people die.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by Yunus2012(m): 9:08am On Jul 11, 2014
[/color]This just confirmed my thinking all along. This strike is all about ego. cos you don't want a nurse to CMD, patient can lose their lives. What a selfish stand.
The same reasons you gave will also disqualify any other health worker from the post Minister of Health abi. What an extremely selfish group of professionals.[color=#006600]This just confirmed my thinking all along. This strike is all about ego. cos you don't want a nurse to CMD, patient can lose their lives. What a selfish stand.
The same reasons you gave will also disqualify any other health worker from the post Minister of Health abi. What an extremely selfish group of professionals.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by anergy: 9:09am On Jul 11, 2014
splasher: DOCTORS AGAIN-You can be a called a doctor in two ways 1. By Nomenclature. Anybody who cares for a patient and is suitably qualified to care for that patient. eg medical doctors, nurses, pharmacist, medical scientist,optometrists, dentist etc provided you care for a patient. This is the dictionary definition. 2. By qualification. When your certificate carries an appellation of DOCTOR by a recognized institution. By this our medical boctors have no right to call themselves doctors since their certificate carries the appellation Bachelor of Medicine / Bachelor of Surgery. The word DOCTOR comes from the root word teacher, this means you must have been proven to have a doctrine(by the way of a thesis). Our present medical doctors do not carry out a research thesis before graduation so CANNOT BE CALLED DOCTORS by qualification, unlike in the US where they award MD. Why all this story? There is nothing special about medical doctors that make them think that other professions must be downgraded because the government positioned them as the leader of the health care team. Methink because if this appellation called DOCTOR that makes them think they are special. Since they are doctors by nomenclature, pharmacists, medlab, nurses etc can be called doctors and deserve the same recognition as our dear medical doctors. Only Optometrists and pharmacists(UNIBEN) are doctors by qualification and nomenclature.
You are wrong. A medical student is required to carry out a research work/ project b/4 becoming a medical doctor. In many institutions, the research work is done in a Public/Community Health specialty. Pls, alway try to get your facts right.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by sainty2k3(m): 9:10am On Jul 11, 2014
lomaxx:

Anyone is free to use the title "doctor" as deemed fit. Anyone.

Only in Nigeria where anything goes, ppls check it out from dictionary to web
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by dakotchic(f): 9:12am On Jul 11, 2014
Look guys, d medical profession is a noble one and d hospital is a hierarchical organisation, just like the military,paramilitary and the court. When u r too big either by qualification, age or otherwise for ur immediate supervisor, u r retired automatically. So pls Johesu should aspire to get to their highest levels and when they r now too qualified to be answerable to the doctor then they retire voluntarily or compulsorily or they second to any of the ministries where they can aspire to be directors and ps. And for that radiographer who said he can head doctors- please can a recruit/soldier head and officer who he even trained? Or can a court clerk suddenly head a judge? Please guys be real, if u want to be a judge then u go study law n rise or If u want to be a General, either u do the officers course as a first degree holder. So also if u want to head the medical team go n be a doctor. P.s- there's no age limit to study medicine just utme n ssce cut offs + plenty hard work and ofcourse BRAINS!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by Nobody: 9:12am On Jul 11, 2014
sainty2k3:
Check dictionary meaning of the word Doctor, it is limited to theologians, PhD holders,physicians, dentist,vetinary medicine degree holders
You have indirectly alluded to the fact that the title "Dr" isn't exclusive to practitioners of medicine so I rest my case.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by lomaxx: 9:15am On Jul 11, 2014
saganuwa: as a doctor especially in pediatrics, your patients problems becomes yours. when they need blood, doctors donate, pay for drugs for families who are too poor and u call them selfish! wow.

Last year, I was mobilizing my colleagues to donate blood for one of my friends who was diagnosed of acute lymphoblastic leukemia(L2). We had to keep her alive till she gets to India for her bone marrow transplant.

I was in company of 4 willing donors en route the blood bank. On getting there, I met a situation. The mother of a pediatric patient was frantically pacing around. She needed blood for her child. No family member was fit to donate . She had already donated but it wasn't enough. I came with 4 donors for my friend, but I had to ask 2 donors to go donate for the child.

While I was saying this, a pediatric resident walked out of the bleeding room where he just donated for the same child. So I understand very well what you mean.

These are things doctors do everyday for patients. I know how hard it is for Nigerians to donate their blood to save your life. Sounds easy, but it's very hard. Even some of your pastors would refuse to donate.

I'm not going to talk about the countless times where patients are not able to afford the cheapest treatment options available. And the doctor has to pay out of compassion.

So when Nigerians call doctors selfish and all those stuff, I'm amazed. Really amazed.

Nairaland has opened my eyes to a lot of hard truth. Hard truth, I must say.

3 Likes

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by daveemuobo(m): 9:17am On Jul 11, 2014
naijaking1:

I like your take, so let me make some points for you.
First of all, the civil service rules and procedures lumping all doctors in all parts of the country into one pay scale is wrong and over due for change, just like lumping all university professors into one pay scale without regard to their local market is wrong, and not consistent with free market economics. It's unfortunate to have strikes and industrial actions by nurse, doctors, professors/teacher, court workers, etc

Allied health workers(Pharmacists, Med lab techs(( I know someone will begin to correct me that its 'scientist', it's not)), physical therapists, respiratory therapists, etc) understand the limited scope of their profession right from their school days. Some of these professions, though essential are never a do or die for the well trained doctor. I know, because I trained as a medical lab tech, though we called ourselves scientist, because it was more prestigious before going to medical school, spent 5 more years, and have continued in residency and fellowships for the past 9 years.

Some allied health courses last from 6 months to 2 or 4 years, and they are focused on their areas only.
If you own a hospital, you would like someone who knows a thing or two about every aspect of medicine in charge, I mean from anatomy to basic science, to diagnostics, to different types of therapy(note pharmacists know only one form of therapy(pharmacology), there are others out there like radiation, counseling, and pyshycotherapy the pharmacist has no clue about), to pyschology/psychiatry, to administration, to teaching younger medical students. If you replace an engineer who oversees everything about your building project with a carpenter just because he said he wants to enjoy being called an engineer too, what happens to the plumbing, electrical, and even painting aspects of the building?

A self respecting pharmacist would never accept to be appointed chief medical director of a hospital even for one day, because he or she was never trained as such, but we have the Nigerian situation where people want gratuity without ever doing the work.
Nursing is almost as old as being a physician. A nurse who is not proud to be called a nurse should never have been a nurse in the first place. And they should really move on, that was why I had many nurses in my medical school class. Nurses rise in their own rank structure, and happily too. Trying to confuse patients with doctors' appallation and titles is simply an identity crises. There used to be a chief matron at UNTH Enugu who was so well respected by both doctors and nurses, that she would scoff at being called a consultant!

Like some one said, all these struggle for the doctors' title, position, and pay is akin to sharing the national cake, unfortunately, nobody wants to scramble for the doctors mountainous years of study/education, the doctors unholy hours of work, and the doctors comprehensive understanding of the patient. We are even discussing this topic as an issue, because we're in Nigeria where the truth is sometimes buried under magomago!

Jesus Christ..God bless you sir..if only they knew.

1 Like

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by dakotchic(f): 9:17am On Jul 11, 2014
@anergy. Please educate yourself ok! M.B.B.S is equivalent to M.D. Talking about global best practices, no allied health worker claims or tries to deceive patients that they r doctors, because they r happy being who they are!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by sainty2k3(m): 9:18am On Jul 11, 2014
APContherun:
You have indirectly alluded to the fact that the title "Dr" isn't exclusive to practitioners of medicine so I rest my case.
Yes, of course , it has never been, intact more people that answer Dr are theologians and PhD holders, but when u come to health sector, it is limited to physicians, dentist, and vetinary medicine

1 Like

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by lomaxx: 9:18am On Jul 11, 2014
sainty2k3:

Only in Nigeria where anything goes, ppls check it out from dictionary to web

There is a lot of sarcasm in my post. Hidden, but it's there.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by DrOBD(m): 9:23am On Jul 11, 2014
creativeEngr:

@DebateNigeria,

1. I feel the topic of your post is rather misinformed because from all comments I''ve read regarding the on-going strike, I am yet to see one that suggests Doctors are hated... We only dislike the attitude of Doctors but we don't blame them, it's really the fault of Government... you may wish to read my comments from another thread - https://www.nairaland.com/creativeengr/posts

2. The issue of Doctors is peculiar to Nigeria because Society has allowed you guys become so arrogant perhaps, due to the perception that becoming a Doctor isnt easy but which course is easy? Yes, it is more demanding, it takes longer, others are already employed while Doctors are still in school and bla bla bla . The last I checked, nobody is forced to study medicine and so if it takes longer or demands more, that has to do with the nature of the course and it's part of a noble sacrifice to our collective humanity... Can Doctors take the role of nurses, accountants, security, lawyers, engineers alone in society? We all need Doctors just as Doctors need us period!. this "I better pass my neighbour" mentality is also apparent in military men, lawyers to mention few.. for Doctors, this is part of what informs their regular strike actions but we can't blame them.. what should you expect in a society where a senator earns what 25 professors of medicine earn for doing literally and absolutely NOTHING... This is the root of the problems of Doctors...

Hey, I am not saying Doctors shouldn't be well paid but beyond take home pay or titles, what is the state of our hospitals?

Before you crush me by saying it's not the fault of Doctors, it's an open secret that substantial private hospitals are owned or run by Doctors, including consultants that acquired their expertise on the bill of Govt.. a close friend once told me how a CMD in a Govt. Teaching hospital advised him to always put aside extra cash to fly himself or his family abroad in the event of emergencies.. meanwhile, he owns at least 3 private clinics... who is fooling who? The Doctors, like top Military Generals or Phcn officials remain a major part of the problems faced in their respective sectors...

yes, we admit problems in the system but the solutions are deeper than what strike or getting Govt to pay more money can solve...

I have said it again and again. Doctors are part of the problem in the health sector considering the high level of corruption in that sector. They taught the JOHESU guys all they know they started the diversion of patient to their private clinics et al.
But the contest between doctors and JOHESU should not be tolerated by Nigerians. Misplaced priorities everywhere. The pharmacist should see themselves beyond the hospital environment. Government should start prosecuting doctors who are involved in corrupt practices. Any pharmacy shop administering injections and consulting patients should be closed down. Anyone who is not a doctor or midwife taking delivery should be arrested because they add to our already high maternal mortality.
We deserve a better health care system. We can only achieve that as a nation if we understand the crux of the matter and push for what is right.

1 Like

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by splasher: 9:32am On Jul 11, 2014
"DOCTORS" of MBBS, it seems this title of doctor has gotten into your heads and it's responsible for this unholy 24 point demand. You do not know drug use and drug interaction like the pharmacist. You are threatened by the Lab Scientist because gone are the days you look at someone nose and eye and say they have malaria. With increasing demand for evidence based practice, you are finding out you need the medical labs more and more. The advent of in- vitro diagnostics by the medlabs is reducing your scope further. Is that why you are asking the government not to allow them practice their profession. Why won't you allow others expand a technique that is within their ambit of practice? Is it because they call you "DOCTOR"? Show me why you should be called DOCTOR. Is there any anywhere in your certificate that gives you the right to call yourselves doctors? If none, then why are against other who want to call themselves doctors? Who and what gives you that right?
Answer these questions and I would recant my previous comment. With all the misdiagnosis in our hospitals, you are asking for salary increment. I think is time we DYMISTIFY this TITLE called DOCTOR. Is time we allow those involved in drug management monitor their patient they prescribe the drug for. Those involved in evidence based diagnostics should be allowed to expand their capabilities. There is no sense in "DOCTORS" of MBBS in insisting they should determine salaries and extent of human capacity development of other health care profession because they are erroneously called DOCTORS.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by sainty2k3(m): 9:35am On Jul 11, 2014
cheesy
lomaxx:

There is a lot of sarcasm in my post. Hidden, but it's there.
Sorry I didn't read well before cheesy
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by allycat: 9:39am On Jul 11, 2014
When a patient dies who is blamed ? The doctor. When a patient is misdiagnosed who gets the blame? The doctor! Who get sued when patients relations are mismanaged? The doctor. If the buck stops at my table then who is in charge. In 2003 some American doctors did heart surgery in UNTH and some patients died and it was traced to fake medicine. Because the doctors were OYIBO the deaths were not automatically blamed on the doctors and investigations were carried out and it was discovered that the adrenaline supplied by the hospital pharmacy was fake. How many deaths do you think have occurred because of fake drugs and were blamed on the doctor. How many times have Lab scientist or radiographer been held accountable for faulty results when patients died, it's always the doctor that is blame. Once more I say if the buck stops on my table then I am in charge.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by DebateNigeria: 9:40am On Jul 11, 2014
creativeEngr:

@DebateNigeria,

1. I feel the topic of your post is rather misinformed because from all comments I''ve read regarding the on-going strike, I am yet to see one that suggests Doctors are hated... We only dislike the attitude of Doctors but we don't blame them, it's really the fault of Government... you may wish to read my comments from another thread - https://www.nairaland.com/creativeengr/posts

2. The issue of Doctors is peculiar to Nigeria because Society has allowed you guys become so arrogant perhaps, due to the perception that becoming a Doctor isnt easy but which course is easy? Yes, it is more demanding, it takes longer, others are already employed while Doctors are still in school and bla bla bla . The last I checked, nobody is forced to study medicine and so if it takes longer or demands more, that has to do with the nature of the course and it's part of a noble sacrifice to our collective humanity... Can Doctors take the role of nurses, accountants, security, lawyers, engineers alone in society? We all need Doctors just as Doctors need us period!. this "I better pass my neighbour" mentality is also apparent in military men, lawyers to mention few.. for Doctors, this is part of what informs their regular strike actions but we can't blame them.. what should you expect in a society where a senator earns what 25 professors of medicine earn for doing literally and absolutely NOTHING... This is the root of the problems of Doctors...

Hey, I am not saying Doctors shouldn't be well paid but beyond take home pay or titles, what is the state of our hospitals?

Before you crush me by saying it's not the fault of Doctors, it's an open secret that substantial private hospitals are owned or run by Doctors, including consultants that acquired their expertise on the bill of Govt.. a close friend once told me how a CMD in a Govt. Teaching hospital advised him to always put aside extra cash to fly himself or his family abroad in the event of emergencies.. meanwhile, he owns at least 3 private clinics... who is fooling who? The Doctors, like top Military Generals or Phcn officials remain a major part of the problems faced in their respective sectors...

yes, we admit problems in the system but the solutions are deeper than what strike or getting Govt to pay more money can solve...

The government can put an end to this menace plaguing the health sector. They need to call a spade a spade. Doctors would have to come down from their high heavens and realize they are not the only one in the health sector and that things have changed and they must change with it. JOHESU guys must learn to work under doctors if they so desire to work in the hospital. The public should appreciate these guys because of the level of commitment on their part. Most of them don't enjoy the public holidays we enjoy.
Corruption is everywhere and all those involved should be prosecuted, whether doctors or others.

1 Like

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by splasher: 9:41am On Jul 11, 2014
It is a group project work and not an individual thesis work. A project is different from a theisis. In a thesis there must be a thesis and an Antithesis (What is now called a null and an alternate hypothesis). There must be something you are trying to contribute to the body of knowledge. It must be on an individual platform and not a group work. Why only community health? What of other areas of medicine)
anergy: You are wrong. A medical student is required to carry out a research work/ project b/4 becoming a medical doctor. In many institutions, the research work is done in a Public/Community Health specialty. Pls, alway try to get your facts right.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by lomaxx: 9:42am On Jul 11, 2014
splasher: "DOCTORS" of MBBS, it seems this title of doctor has gotten into your heads and it's responsible for this unholy 24 point demand. You do not know drug use and drug interaction like the pharmacist. You are threatened by the Lab Scientist because gone are the days you look at someone nose and eye and say they have malaria. With increasing demand for evidence based practice, you are finding out you need the medical labs more and more. The advent of in- vitro diagnostics by the medlabs is reducing your scope further. Is that why you are asking the government not to allow them practice their profession. Why won't you allow others expand a technique that is within their ambit of practice? Is it because they call you "DOCTOR"? Show me why you should be called DOCTOR. Is there any anywhere in your certificate that gives you the right to call yourselves doctors? If none, then why are against other who want to call themselves doctors? Who and what gives you that right?
Answer these questions and I would recant my previous comment. With all the misdiagnosis in our hospitals, you are asking for salary increment. I think is time we DYMISTIFY this TITLE called DOCTOR. Is time we allow those involved in drug management monitor their patient they prescribe the drug for. Those involved in evidence based diagnostics should be allowed to expand their capabilities. There is no sense in "DOCTORS" of MBBS in insisting they should determine salaries and extent of human capacity development of other health care profession because they are erroneously called DOCTORS.

There goes the ranting of someone who believes patient management is all about drug use, drug interaction and laboratory diagnosis.

Young man, there's a reason doctors are taught pharmacology and laboratory medicine in Part 2. And that's only in Part 2. So calm your nerves. You'd rather we knew nothing about it right? Funny haha.

Being a doctor gives you a privileged exposure to all aspects of healthcare. So that when a patient presents before you, you'll treat patient management as a holistic affair - including his/her psychology.

You're just ranting balderdash. Just go find somewhere siddon

4 Likes

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by badesco(m): 9:42am On Jul 11, 2014
Nobody hate the Doctors but to sincere with ourselves they are selfish arrogant. they seem to belief that they are above other profession, which is not true. It a fact that they are the head in Hospitals fine, i mean medical director but that does not mean other professional cant be a director, as in this case now.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by Nobody: 9:42am On Jul 11, 2014
MEDICAL DOCTORS are not known to rant about.
Any Medical Doctor dat engages in exchange of unpleasant pleasantries with these ungreatful ones, will be seen as a Medical infidel.
Medical Doctors know their VALUE...and will never indulge in such.
ALMOST every medical personnel rubbishing Medical doctors had a great intention of studying dis great course but due to circumstances surrounding it..dey neva made it through..I sympathize with dem because many PAID and PRAYED, yet fell by d road side...ITS simply a NOBLE PROFESSION for the CALLED. ITS in medical school u find a FORMER senior prefect in ordinary level school days fail out with DISDAIN....MEDICINE is simply many are called but very few are chosen. B4 u insult our med.docs, carefully study how their counterparts are treated abroad. May b dats d reason, dey all leave NIGERIA for doz places.
BY d way, if u didnt make it through in medical profession, ur KIDS can!!!!!!
So why insult dem??

2 Likes

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by splasher: 9:42am On Jul 11, 2014
"DOCTORS" of MBBS, it seems this title of doctor has gotten into your heads and it's responsible for this unholy 24 point demand. You do not know drug use and drug interaction like the pharmacist. You are threatened by the Lab Scientist because gone are the days you look at someone nose and eye and say they have malaria. With increasing demand for evidence based practice, you are finding out you need the medical labs more and more. The advent of in- vitro diagnostics by the medlabs is reducing your scope further. Is that why you are asking the government not to allow them practice their profession. Why won't you allow others expand a technique that is within their ambit of practice? Is it because they call you "DOCTOR"? Show me why you should be called DOCTOR. Is there any anywhere in your certificate that gives you the right to call yourselves doctors? If none, then why are against other who want to call themselves doctors? Who and what gives you that right?

1 Like

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by Akadile: 9:43am On Jul 11, 2014
I must commend you op. At least, you expected the level of bashing & bad mouthing attracted by your post. You are not wrong by saying that most people hate Drs. What baffles me the most is the level of reasoning of our so called learned people. If a Dr makes mistakes, there are ways to correct that by reporting him to relevant regulatory bodies & if not satisfied, sue him. It's not because of that that you will say every Dr 's salary should be cut or that every Dr should be fired. R'ber there are still innocent & hard working ones out there. When Dr Conrad Murray involuntarily killed Michael Jackson in U.S, was every Dr sent to jail or relieved of their job in the U.S? Please, stop generalizing & stay focused. If the writers of the oath that Drs take knew that a time will come when Drs will be owed or their privileges being awarded to non competent persons, then there would have been an escape clause or provisor.
I pity the public for not realising that instead of putting pressure on the govt to do needful, you guys are blaming DRS. These politicians always fly abroad for treatment but you the common Nigerian don't have that means. At least every Dr know where to get competent Treatment in this country If its beyond him, but I doubt whether every Nigerian do including the haters. The situation will worsen when every Tom, Dick & Harry in the health sector becomes a CONSULTANT. Dr s are fighting this misnomer & ignorant people are bad mouthing. Please open your eyes.

I rest my case.

4 Likes

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by DebateNigeria: 9:45am On Jul 11, 2014
Akadile: I must commend you op. At least, you expected the level of bashing & bad mouthing attracted by your post. You are not wrong by saying that most people hate Drs. What baffles me the most is the level of reasoning of our so called learned people. If a Dr makes mistakes, there are ways to correct that by reporting him to relevant regulatory bodies & if not satisfied, sue him. It's not because of that that you will say every Dr 's salary should be cut or that every Dr should be fired. R'ber there are still innocent & hard working ones out there. When Dr Conrad Murray involuntarily killed Michael Jackson in U.S, was every Dr sent to jail or relieved of their job in the U.S? Please, stop generalizing & stay focused. If the writers of the oath that Drs take knew that a time will come when Drs will be owed or their privileges being awarded to non competent persons, then there would have been an escape clause or provisor.
I pity the public for not realising that instead of putting pressure on the govt to do needful, you guys are blaming DRS. These politicians always fly abroad for treatment but you the common Nigerian don't have that means. At least every Dr know where to get competent Treatment in this country If its beyond him, but I doubt whether every Nigerian do including the haters. The situation will worsen when every Tom, Dick & Harry in the health sector becomes a CONSULTANT. Dr s are fighting this misnomer & ignorant people are bad mouthing. Please open your eyes.

I rest my case.
Well said
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by dBard: 9:47am On Jul 11, 2014
warrior01: Hate doctors? The fact is those people in Nigeria that parade themselves as Doctors, don't know what it really means to be a mreal doctor. No ethics, no compassion and no proffessionalism. All we have is a bunch of greedy people that is full of unnecessary pride. If you doubt me, why do our people rush to India for proper treatment?

May Heaven judge u the next time u step into a hospital or call a Dr f medical advice.. U hypocritical elements have no shame.
U vomit n yet u run t eat up that vomit with spice d first chance u get.
Fly all ur relatives t India next time y'all ill.
Rubbish..

2 Likes

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by anergy: 9:47am On Jul 11, 2014
dakotchic: @anergy. Please educate yourself ok! M.B.B.S is equivalent to M.D. Talking about global best practices, no allied health worker claims or tries to deceive patients that they r doctors, because they r happy being who they are!
I did not even mention MBBS or MD in my post. I only corrected a misconception that medical student don't write research work b/4 graduation.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by lomaxx: 9:54am On Jul 11, 2014
anergy: I did not even mention MBBS or MD in my post. I only corrected a misconception that medical student don't write research work b/4 graduation.

And one fellow was there yapping that the research done by medical students before graduation is not research. He called it a "group project". And because it is done by a group it's not a research. If you have the time and knowledge , exposé him to the concept of research, the methods of research and if possible, guidelines. If you don't, let it slide. He can go learn for himself.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by splasher: 9:57am On Jul 11, 2014
[quote author=naijaking1] Studying Optometry is more demanding than Medicine. Checkout opinions in the University of Benin

I like your take, so let me make some points for yo.
First of all, the civil service rules and procedures lumping all doctors in all parts of the country into one pay scale is wrong and over due for change, just like lumping all university professors into one pay scale without regard to their local market is wrong, and not consistent with free market economics. It's unfortunate to have strikes and industrial actions by nurse, doctors, professors/teacher, court workers, etc

Allied health workers(Pharmacists, Med lab techs(( I know someone will begin to correct me that its 'scientist', it's not)), physical therapists, respiratory therapists, etc) understand the limited scope of their profession right from their school days. Some of these professions, though essential are never a do or die for the well trained doctor. I know, because I trained as a medical lab tech, though we called ourselves scientist, because it was more prestigious before going to medical school, spent 5 more years, and have continued in residency and fellowships for the past 9 years.

Some allied health courses last from 6 months to 2 or 4 years, and they are focused on their areas only.
If you own a hospital, you would like someone who knows a thing or two about every aspect of medicine in charge, I mean from anatomy to basic science, to diagnostics, to different types of therapy(note pharmacists know only one form of therapy(pharmacology), there are others out there like radiation, counseling, and pyshycotherapy the pharmacist has no clue about), to pyschology/psychiatry, to administration, to teaching younger medical students. If you replace an engineer who oversees everything about your building project with a carpenter just because he said he wants to enjoy being called an engineer too, what happens to the plumbing, electrical, and even painting aspects of the building?

A self respecting pharmacist would never accept to be appointed chief medical director of a hospital even for one day, because he or she was never trained as such, but we have the Nigerian situation where people want gratuity without ever doing the work.
Nursing is almost as old as being a physician. A nurse who is not proud to be called a nurse should never have been a nurse in the first place. And they should really move on, that was why I had many nurses in my medical school class. Nurses rise in their own rank structure, and happily too. Trying to confuse patients with doctors' appallation and titles is simply an identity crises. There used to be a chief matron at UNTH Enugu who was so well respected by both doctors and nurses, that she would scoff at being called a consultant!

Like some one said, all these struggle for the doctors' title, position, and pay is akin to sharing the national cake, unfortunately, nobody wants to scramble for the doctors mountainous years of study/education, the doctors unholy hours of work, and the doctors comprehensive understanding of the patient.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by jumpmasta(m): 9:59am On Jul 11, 2014
Janiobi: When you guys starts saving lifes first than bodring about the registration and hospital fees b4 operating on patients then we would care for you guys...Imagine an injured person runing to a nearby hospital to receive care and Died right there cause he had not the money to pay for his treatment,So he was not responded too. W.T.F is going on with doc?
Reasoning from the Ass..so the drugs and hospital consumables that would be used for treatment will fall from heavens abi? OK oooo

1 Like

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 11, 2014
warrior01: Hate doctors? The fact is those people in Nigeria that parade themselves as Doctors, don't know what it really means to be a mreal doctor. No ethics, no compassion and no proffessionalism. All we have is a bunch of greedy people that is full of unnecessary pride. If you doubt me, why do our people rush to India for proper treatment?
What you don't realise is that these same people that you say 'parade' themselves as doctors are leaving the country en masse and doing great outside the shores of this country. The difference between Nigeria and India is that the government is proactive in India and entices their doctors back to the country, renumerates them well and provides an enabling environment. So foreign trained specialists go back and give back to the society. Do u know the number of Nigerian doctors in the uSA alone? Who want to return but can't because of very petty things like this. Do u know how frustrated our specialist doctors in Nigeria are because they don't have anything or anyone to work with? No, you don't. You are just another e-warrior doctor hater.

1 Like

Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by Oluwalomoejoda: 10:04am On Jul 11, 2014
It is a tragedy of a nation to have a people who do not value lives•I have followed all the arguments!It is certainly disastrous to know that life is the cheapest thing in my country•Doctors are well respected and handsomely paid in any great nation•For the paramedics and all its allied to be called consultants;they should cite an example of a country it is done•I will not like to say much but one of the reasons that made many of Nigerian doctors left Nigeria is justified•I am sad to see my country going down every second•Many of us value money than life•Nigeria needs help and it is an emergency•
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by korm2me(m): 10:06am On Jul 11, 2014
splasher: DOCTORS AGAIN-You can be a called a doctor in two ways 1. By Nomenclature. Anybody who cares for a patient and is suitably qualified to care for that patient. eg medical doctors, nurses, pharmacist, medical scientist,optometrists, dentist etc provided you care for a patient. This is the dictionary definition. 2. By qualification. When your certificate carries an appellation of DOCTOR by a recognized institution. By this our medical boctors have no right to call themselves doctors since their certificate carries the appellation Bachelor of Medicine / Bachelor of Surgery. The word DOCTOR comes from the root word teacher, this means you must have been proven to have a doctrine(by the way of a thesis). Our present medical doctors do not carry out a research thesis before graduation so CANNOT BE CALLED DOCTORS by qualification, unlike in the US where they award MD. Why all this story? There is nothing special about medical doctors that make them think that other professions must be downgraded because the government positioned them as the leader of the health care team. Methink because if this appellation called DOCTOR that makes them think they are special. Since they are doctors by nomenclature, pharmacists, medlab, nurses etc can be called doctors and deserve the same recognition as our dear medical doctors. Only Optometrists and pharmacists(UNIBEN) are doctors by qualification and nomenclature.
see ur reasoning, tell what they should be called.
Re: NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG Vs Patients........ Why the hatred for doctors??? by pluto3(m): 10:07am On Jul 11, 2014
This is just a shame that even the literate are now otherwise..... this is a simple issue... dont knw y nigeria is always d 1st n only country to try somtin stupid n get d support of d government afta bribing dem.... let every 1 check d meaning of Medical Director (CMD) .... TO ME LET DOCTORS CONTINUE D STRIKE UNTIL DIS FOOLISH GOVERNMENT OF Ours COM TO THEIR SENSES....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Coronavirus: PM Abe Asks Japan Schools To Close Over Disease / University Of Ibadan Doctors Discover Cure For AIDS / Coronavirus Can Remain In The Air For 30 Minutes - Chinese Scientists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.