Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,919 members, 7,817,694 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

.:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. (22600 Views)

Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing / Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches / List Of People I Saw Going to Hell: Footballers & Fans, Musicians, Non-Tithers.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by meforyou1(m): 7:46am On Jul 13, 2014
Malachi should just go and sit down. Oyedepo used people's tithes to open 2 private universities. The redeem pastor has a university as well.
In fact, it is the pastors that are robbing God, not me.

4 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by pappy2000: 7:48am On Jul 13, 2014
goldfish80: The concept of criminalizing non tithers is fallacy upon fallacy.
Eyop:
You are the one that refuses to be wise. I'll rather give the 10% out to the needy,those that are in the hospitals unable to pay their bills,beggars,orphanage,etc than give that to a pastor

I will pray for you in church, I am sure you are on the part of destruction. How can you say suh a nasty thing about your maker. The God that created yo. I am sure you need serious help
Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by Godside: 7:49am On Jul 13, 2014
charlsecy: @Kenny4lyfe, I would love it if you respond to my comment after reading it.

Let me quote Hebrews 7:5 CEB:

"The descendants of Levi who receive the office of priest HAVE A COMMANDMENT UNDER THE LAW to collect a tenth of everything from the people who are their brothers and sisters, though they also are descended from Abraham."

It is important we ask ourselves if Believers are UNDER THE LAW?

If a Christian willingly decides to be giving 10% or more of his income for the Gospel, no problem. However, I must stress that the concept of tithe, as taught and understood by many Christians today, is a big lie.

Leviticus 27:30-33 shows there was a penalty for wanting to pay tithe in form of money. You paid extra. It's discouraged and even not permitted for animal rearers. Perhaps, paying with money defeated one of the purposes of tithing. How could the poor feed from the tithes? How could one eat money? (Deut.14:22-26; Deut. 12:5-7). Or, have you been lied to that beggars and the needy cannot share in your tithe, that it's all for your "pastors?"

Before I continue, let me state that Abraham tithed from spoils of war. He went to war and paid tithe on the spoils he recovered. There is no where in the Bible where Abraham tithed on his personal property.

1. Tithes consisted of food and animals ONLY. "Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, THAT THERE MAY BE FOOD in my house..." Malachi 3:10 ESV. Only natural produce was given as tithe, NEVER money. If you read Deuteronomy 14:22-29, you will discover money was in circulation, so it's not a question of money didn't exist at that time. It was SPECIFICALLY UNDERSTOOD that you couldn't give money as tithe, ESPECIALLY FOR ANIMAL REARERS. Please read Deuteronomy 14:22-29 and Leviticus 27:30-33.

2. If you study Leviticus 27:30-32, it seems only the owners of farms and flocks tithed.

3. There was an annual tithe for the maintenance of the Levites (Lev. 27:30; Num. 18:21).

4. People ate from their tithes. A second tithe brought to Jerusalem for the Lord’s feasts (Deut. 14:22-26; Deut. 12:5-7). This tithe must be consumed before the Lord. ALL ATE portions of this tithe. [How does one eat money?]

5. Tithes could be given out to the needy. Every third year, the second tithe was kept at home for the Levites, the poor and the needy (Deut. 14:27-29). Have you ever heard pastors saying you cannot share your tithe with the beggarly?

Food for thought >>>>

A. WHY DO MODERN-DAY CHURCHES EMPHASIZE ONLY ONE TYPE OF TITHE, AND EVEN CORRUPTED IT, LEAVING OUT THE OTHERS? FOR EXAMPLE, THERE IS A TYPE OF TITHE DONE ONCE EVERY 3 YEARS WHICH CAN BE FOUND IN DEUTERONOMY 26:12. THIS FORM INVOLVES GIVING ALSO TO "FOREIGNERS, ORPHANS, AND WIDOWS..." WHY ARE MODERN-DAY PREACHERS NOT IMPLEMENTING THIS ONE?

B. WHY IS MODERN-DAY TITHE IN FORM OF MONEY, WHILE IT'S CLEAR FROM THE SCRIPTURES THE ISRAELITES TITHED OF THEIR CROPS AND ANIMALS ONLY, EVEN THOUGH MONEY WAS IN CIRCULATION AT THAT TIME? Leviticus 27:30-33 shows there is a penalty for wanting to pay tithe in form of money. It's discouraged.

C. How many Christians are aware of the above Biblical facts?

D. Why is the practice of modern-day tithing different from what the Lord instructed?

If you decide to tithe, then you should tithe the Way GOD instructed. The current, so-called modern-day Christian tithing is false based on Biblical evidence. What is happening tithe-wise is different from what the People of Israel did in the Bible. That's all I want you to know.

Come to think of it; did you know that even the modern Jews do not tithe because the Temple and genealogical records were destroyed in 70 AD by the Romans? There is no Temple now to take the tithes to; there are no known Levites, because of the destruction of the records. Does it mean that tithe preachers know better than real Jews about the law of tithing? We believers are even now priests; 1 Peter 2:9, Hebrews 4:16. Is your pastor a Levite? Hebrews 7:5.

Hello bro , i believe YOu are a church of christ member , am i wrong ?
Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by meforyou1(m): 7:50am On Jul 13, 2014
indomitable234:

Yeah if 'god' wants money he should get a job
but my God is the owner of the universe,all the gold and silver are his,the cattle upon the ten thousand hills are his so your god can go get a job
just shut the hell up. Your God that lives where? Be deceiving yourselves and don't go and look for job.
Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by einsteino(m): 7:52am On Jul 13, 2014
i knew it, you would only quote malachi.. u wouldnt quote deutronomy to reveal the fraud that pastors are. the old testament contains many rites and rituals that were required of the jews in the old convenant, we are christains not jews. if you go thru the new testament it says we are all priests of God. to tithe is to keep a convenant thousands of years old. Not a single christain is actually keeping the tradition the way it was stated, some fellas say it is a sin to give your tithe to charity instead of the church... when the bible even states that every 3rd year, you should give your complete tithe to the poor. if we must keep all old convenants, then lets also start sacrificing lambs on the altar of our churches just like the jews, lets prohobit the wearing of clothes made of more than one fabric... there are many things in the old testament that simply doesn't conform with our modern day world, to enforce them would plague us in the same boat as the muslims. people who live in 2014, trying to keep covenants and laws that are over 2000 years. the problem is we are a generation of "my pastor said, the bible says" instead of "this is what i read in the bible". find the truth for yourselves and please the bible is a book, stop reading in verses, read the whole story.

Deutronomy 26(i hate reading in verses cos it only gives u half of the story and can be skewed to conform with anyones opinion)

5 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by Nobody: 7:52am On Jul 13, 2014
zz

1 Like

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by Nobody: 7:53am On Jul 13, 2014
From Catholic Answers
www.catholic.com/quickquestions/what-is-the-churchs-position-on-tithing

Although the Church teaches that offering some
form of material support to the Church is
obligatory for all Catholic adults who are able to
do so, it doesn't specify what percent of one's
income should be given. Remember, tithing was an
Old Testament obligation that was incumbent on
the Jews under the Law of Moses. Christians are
dispensed from the obligation of tithing ten percent
of their incomes, but not from the obligation to
help the Church.
The key to understanding how God wants us to
give to the Church is found in 1 Corinthians 16:2,
"On the first day of the week [Sunday] each of you
should set aside whatever he can afford," and in 2
Corinthians 9:5-8,
"So I thought it necessary to
encourage the brothers to go
on ahead to you and arrange
in advance for your promised
gift [donation], so that in this
way it might be ready as a
bountiful gift and not as an
exaction. Consider this:
Whoever sows sparingly will
also reap sparingly, and
whoever sows bountifully will
also reap bountifully. Each
must do as already
determined without sadness
or compulsion, for God loves
a cheerful giver. Moreover,
God is able to make every
grace abundant for you, so
that in all things, always
having all you need, you may
have an abundance for every
good work."

To paraphrase: God doesn't demand a fixed
amount of money from us; he wants us to give
from the heart. If people are forced by their church
to give a certain percent of their income, that's
extortion. If they give freely and cheerfully the
amount they are able, that's a gift.

2 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by Eyop: 7:53am On Jul 13, 2014
pappy2000:

I will pray for you in church, I am sure you are on the part of destruction. How can you say suh a nasty thing about your maker. The God that created yo. I am sure you need serious help
You better pray for yourself and your followers to be wise and not foolish. I can only give willingly to the church but not in the name of tithe and even when doing so,i will do that to churches that are growing and not the already established churches.

5 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 13, 2014
I thought you people said we are living in the era of NT but when it comes to money you guys are quick to pull quotes from OT? Na una sabi

5 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by InesQor(m): 7:55am On Jul 13, 2014
Kenny4lyfe: Nσω, вєƒσrє уσυ ∂rαω тнαт є-dαggєr яєα∂ ωнaт тнє ωσя∂ σƒ God ѕαуѕ αвσυт тнιѕ ¢αrєƒυℓℓу:
Malachi 3:8
Wιℓℓ α мαη rσвв Gσ∂?
уєт ує нανє rσввє∂ мє!
вυт ує ѕαу, "ωнєrєιη нανє ωє rσввє∂ тнєє?"
ιη тιтнєѕ αη∂ ιη σƒƒєяιηgѕ!"

The hand writing is clearly written on the wall as you can see!
How can a Non-Tither/Anti-Tither possibly justify him/herself before God with this declaration? #TeamAnti_Tithers over to you!
All I want to know is why the OP couldn't type this in proper readable letters. Grinds my gears when people do this. angry

2 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by MarkMiwerds(m): 7:55am On Jul 13, 2014
adexsimply: Then why is he demanding for 1/10 of my small income now? cry cry That's wickedness !!! angry angry
God does not demand 1/10th of your income. It is a wicked and deceitful man who demands that money. In our Bibles, God only commanded tithes of gardens, orchards, and livestock. He never told man to tithe money.

Keep your Naira. Use it for famly needs. If you have extra and want to be charitable, help a beggar on the road, a widow who is struggling, an orphan who needs food or clothing. God will be more pleased.

Inasmuch as ye did it unto the least of these my brethren, ye did it unto me. -- words of Jesus

14 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by Idrismusty97(m): 8:01am On Jul 13, 2014
I don't care if mosque start paying tithes. I don't care if Malachi increased the tithes to 20%. I just want our government to start taxing all these religious bodies joor. Tax them heavily and use the money for infrastructure development!

7 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by dondo83(m): 8:03am On Jul 13, 2014
fattbabakay: *a fool sayeth in his earth*

This one pass fool

1 Like

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by snadguy007(m): 8:03am On Jul 13, 2014
All i see here is criticism and frustruation among some peeps

Someone should just tell me why i should stop paying my tithes
Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by Dasameolgee(m): 8:10am On Jul 13, 2014
That OP Is totally out ϑf his mind. Because you believe that doesn't make every other person a thief. That verse you quoted doesn't prove anything. Read well

2 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by Nobody: 8:13am On Jul 13, 2014
Christianity is Pure Fraud.!

Stupid religion Used in Scamming Stupid People..

**This Morning, If my Father was just like an Ordinary friend, I would ave beaten Stupidity Out of His Head..

Some1 returned his 200k to him, He said he will Use 120k as Tithe.. Reason because, it was god that Collected the Money from the Borrowers Hand since 2012.. I was Like, How Can Some1 be so stupid.. But who am I to say it Out?..*

StUPid PeOpLe!!!

8 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by penny01502: 8:15am On Jul 13, 2014
Scyllapatron: the christian god is broke, he needs money, he needs money, he needs money .
pay your tithe, pay your tithe, or he will not bless you. ...
he needs money. grin
our God is so rich to be broke, He own the entire universe and the fullness therein. He is the omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient God, He gives men wealth, He owns the entire wealth of the universe and above all His is rich in mercies. i pray He forgives you for your ignorance, and urge you to repent .
Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by Nobody: 8:15am On Jul 13, 2014
adexsimply: Then why is he demanding for 1/10 of my small income now? cry cry That's wickedness !!! angry angry

....... also greed and insatiableness.
Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by Eyop: 8:18am On Jul 13, 2014
Bimfo: Christianity is Pure Fraud.!

**This Morning, If my Father was just like an Ordinary friend, I would ave beaten Stupidity Out of His Head..

Some1 returned his 200k to him, He said he will Use 120k as Tithe.. Reason because, it was god that Collected the Money from the Borrowers Hand since 2012.. I was Like, How Can Some1 be so stupid.. But who am I to say it Out?..*

StUPid PeOpLe!!!
Brother i understand your plight but it's never too late to pray for your Father to be wise and not stupid like you posted. Christianity is not a stupid religion but some Christians are.

6 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by Imoy(m): 8:18am On Jul 13, 2014
Victosin09: Will a man 'help' God?
Obedience is for men's profiting not God's. Be wise.
Best comment so far
Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by MarkMiwerds(m): 8:19am On Jul 13, 2014
snadguy007: All i see here is criticism and frustruation among some peeps

Someone should just tell me why i should stop paying my tithes
One good reason? James 2:10

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

The only tithes God ever commanded in His Word are tithes of agricultural content. Leviticus 27:30-33; Deuteronomy 12:5-7; 14:22-29

He said that his tithe was to be given to the Levites, the widows, the orphans and the strangers in Israel.

It is obvious that, if you are tithing your money You are offending in one point of the Law which said tithes were to be agricultural.
It is obvious that, if you are tithing to an entity other than those whom God authorized to receive tithes in His Word, you are offending in one point of the Law.

In short, your attempt to do what seems right in your own eyes is offensive to God. If you are going to submit to the Law, it is best you keep the Law without being an offense, eh?

2 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by penny01502: 8:20am On Jul 13, 2014
Bimfo: Christianity is Pure Fraud.!

StUPid PeOpLe!!!
are you trying to say your father is silly, or you are wiser than your father?

1 Like

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by KAYCEEJUNIOR(m): 8:22am On Jul 13, 2014
Meringe: Personally, I don't believe in tithe though I'm a Christian. I so much believe in giving alms than tithe.
Teamcatholic#
Dude I share your view, if only we use those money on the helpless families out there.....I don't think that the Millenuim development goal will be in existence, I found fulfilment in giving my all to the charity. am a hardcore catholic though but that's my believe ever since I joined ROTARY CLUB I just realised that there is need to give to the society.

2 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by NigeriaArmy15(m): 8:22am On Jul 13, 2014
Another means of exploitation...#lol

This time I cover my money with the blood of jesus

Oya come collect am now, make you come see how I go chop you raw

So after matching and wandering the bush of Sambisa forest, the small salary we govt give me, I go come carry 1/10th give you......#

3 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by MabraO: 8:23am On Jul 13, 2014
alexdellafonte: Paying of tithes is something that is expedient for all christians. Even if its not easy to be a tither. And for those saying bla bla bla. God does not need your money Malachi 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. 3:9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 3:11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. 3:12 And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.

Shared via Bible KJV http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gyc.ace.kjv

Pls is money d synonym of the bolded?

2 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by charlsecy(m): 8:24am On Jul 13, 2014
Godside: i believe YOu are a church of christ member , am i wrong ?
You are wrong.

Godside: You cannt give 100naira and expect the same blessin wit the person that willingly gav 20thousand
You could be wrong because you failed to consider the condition of the givers. Remember the widow's mite.

5 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by Nobody: 8:24am On Jul 13, 2014
Originally Israel’s tithe was over 22%, and the
people were to take care of the Levites. The
Levites then tithed by bringing the 10% into the
storehouse. This is the biblical Tithe. The New
Testament does not require tithing but free will
giving under the new Covenant. God mentioned no
specific amount to the church. He is not telling
prophets to tell the people to send in a $1,000
seed. In fact, Jesus, nor the apostles never used
the word “seed” for giving money.
What we need to do is go back in history to see
when the tithe was first established and required
from the people, then we can determine if it is a
practice for the Church today.
God did not command Adam to tithe, nor is it
mentioned that Adam tithe of his own accord. Cain
and Abel learned to sacrifice from Adam, to give
an offering that was to be of blood not something
that was from the work of their own hands
(Genesis 4), but they did not tithe. Job, whom we
have much detail of his life lived in the pre-
Abrahamic period. He sacrificed but there is no
mention of tithing. Considering how inventive some
of the promoters of seed faith giving are today, it
is surprising they have not found this the cause of
Job’s affliction. You would think that Job would
have needed to give something to remove Satan’s
hand of attack against himself. Yet, the Bible is
silent on this matter.
The fact remains-- there is no mention of giving
any tenth of goods to a person, priest or God
UNTIL Abraham. Lets go back to this first
incident and examine carefully what took place.
What we need to do is look at what exactly
transpired with Abraham to see if this is the
origin of the tithe as some of the prosperity seed-
faith teacher’s claim.
In Genesis 14 we have the first reference to
tithing and this pre-dates the Mosaic Law. This
was a unique incident and relates to a special
person at a certain time. Gen 14:17-20: “at the
Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley),
after his return from the defeat of Chedorlaomer
and the kings who were with him. Then Melchizedek
king of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was
the priest of God Most High. And he blessed him
and said: “Blessed be Abram of God Most High,
Possessor of heaven and earth; And blessed be
God Most High, who has delivered your enemies
into your hand.” And he gave him a tithe of all.”
This is the first time a tithe is mentioned in the
Bible. Did Abram tithe of all that he possessed?
No. The first thing you find is that the
“everything” mentioned did not belong to Abram.
It was the property of other people, including
Abram’s nephew Lot, who was captured by the
armies of the kings. Abram gave away ten per
cent of other people’s captured goods. I was
thanksgiving offering to God on behalf of the
people who had been miraculously rescued.
Lets step back a few verses. Genesis 14:16: ”And
he brought back all the goods, and also brought
again his brother Lot, and his goods, and the
women also, and the people.”
After rescuing his nephew Lot from the alliance of
the kings with Chedorlaomer he gave Melchizedek,
king of Salem a tenth of everything that he
plundered. It was from the spoils of war. That was
what the tithe came from. Abraham did not tithe
from his personal possessions but the spoils of war.
And that is exactly what the New Testament says
Hebrews 7:4: ”Now consider how great this man
was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave
the tenth of the spoils.” A tithe was on what you
earned, it was from your vocation (Lev. 27:30;
Deut. 14:22-23,28; 2 Chron.31:5-6.)
Abram and his small group of his servants went to
battle these armies and won. Melchizedek the high
priest of Salem recognized that God had granted
this miraculous victory. He owned none of the
property in question before the battle but was
entitled to have the spoils as the victor. The king
of Sodom even offered Abram the goods “Now the
king of Sodom said to Abram, “Give me the
persons, and take the goods for yourself.” (Gen.
14:21) Abram’s reply v.22-23, “That I will take
nothing, from a thread to a sandal strap, and that
I will not take anything that is yours, lest you
should say, 'I have made Abram rich'—”except
only what the young men have eaten, and the
portion of the men who went with me: Aner,
Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.”
Do you know of anyone who would do this that is
into tithing for prosperity? But Abram refused to
take any of it: “I will not take anything that is
yours …” (v.23). The spoils he repossessed from the
enemy kings went back to the owners, Abraham
gave the remaining 90% in his possession back to
those to whom it originally belonged.
This event is NOT a tithe by command but a free
will offering. Abraham was never taught or
instructed by God to give a tenth, nor did he
discover the law of tithing. This was a one time
only event in his life. Abraham is recorded giving
this tithe only ONCE in his lifetime. Abraham had
not tithed of his own property or income, though at
this time he was very wealthy and could do so He
did not keep going back to Melchizedek to give. The
idea of tithing to get something more by Abraham
is not supported, he already had the goods. He
gave them back. This has nothing in common with
the teaching of seed faith giving, offering what
you do not have, or that you should give ten per
cent of your gross weekly income to anointed men
or ministries for God’s blessings to come to you. If
Abraham was being blessed through the tithing
system, as some claim, why did he do this only
once? He never repeated it again for the rest of
his life, and neither did he teach this to any of his
sons. According to the Bible tithing does not
become a command until Moses’ time. This is
ignored by today’s lawful tithers. Instead it is
replaced by clever teaching on Abraham’s tithe to
make it a requirement for the church.
Abram gave a tenth to Melchizedek before the law
of Moses as an act of faith in thanksgiving for his
victory, it was not about income. In Genesis 14:20
The Hebrew word for tithe is ma`aser, translated
“tenth,” but tenth does not equal tithing, (though
a certain tithe is a tenth, again the whole tithe
for Israel was much more-- 22%). Even if we were
to find tithing before the law this still would not
prove tithing is to be continued after the Cross
when the new covenant was established. The tithe
was incorporated in the Mosaic law, it was to train
a nation to trust their God. A tithe can be a tenth
of anything. Ten percent of; fruit trees, crops, oil,
wine, garden, livestock, land, houses (according to
2 Kings 22:15-18), and it was not something you
chose out of all you had, you had to give the best
of everything. Therefore, if you have a number of
parcels of land, and you were to tithe, you must
give your best acreage. If you have built your
house on it, kiss it goodbye. That is tithing
according to the Bibles teaching. (Prov. 3:9-10;
Exod. 23:19; Deut. 18:4; Num. 18:12-13). The next
time a prosperity teacher solicits your best, ask
him what best he has given in the last week. They
are the ones that own land and houses and cars,
what did they give from these?
Just because a tenth is mentioned does not mean
it is a tithe. We need to go back to when God first
instituted it as a requirement of law for the
people. We find the Bible states the Law came
through Moses not Abraham. Moses introduced the
tithe because of the priesthood and the sacrificial
system as Israel was to be a theocracy. Leviticus
27:30: “And all the tithe of the land, whether of
the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is
the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD. Verse 34:
“These are the commandments, which the LORD
commanded Moses for the children of Israel in
mount Sinai.” Numbers 18:21-26: “Thus speak unto
the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of
the children of Israel the tithes which I have given
you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall
offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD,
even a tenth part of the tithe.”
The nation of Israel lived by their agriculture
(Husbandry) and depended upon the rain. God’s
blessing in relation to the tithe had to do with his
provision of water; no rain and they would starve.
If they did not give God their tithes which was
part of the conditional blessing in the Mosaic
covenant God would bring a curse upon them, the
ground would not yield food because he would not
allow it to rain. Tithing was Israel’s moral
obligation in order for God to bless the work of
their hands.
Did Jacob Tithe?
Genesis 28: 20: ”And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If
God will be with me, and will keep me in this way
that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and
raiment to put on, So that I come again to my
father’s house in peace; then shall the LORD be
my God: And this stone, which I have set for a
pillar, shall be God’s house: and of all that thou
shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto
thee.”
Does Jacob giving God a tenth prove that tithing
was practiced before Moses? NO. Jacob vowed a
vow to God for safe passage, for food and
clothing and this promise was conditional. Tithing
was not a conditional act, it was like a tax for the
nation Israel. Again this is one time occurrence, it
is never mentioned again in Jacob’s life. There was
no Levitical priesthood or tabernacle that would be
necessary for a tithe. Just because a tenth is
mentioned does not mean it is a tithe. Tithing is
something you do regularly not on a conditional
basis, not once in a lifetime nor once a year.
God had Moses introduce the tithe because of the
priesthood and the sacrificial system and Israel
being a theocracy. If tithing was before the Law
then it should apply apart from the Law. The Bible
says that tithing was of the Law 400 years after
Abraham. The Bible does not say that Abraham
was commanded to give a tithe; the Bible does not
say that Jacob was commanded to give a tithe. In
fact, before Moses and the Law, the Bible does
not record anyone giving tithes to God as a yearly,
Monthly or weekly practice. There is No such
command.
If Christians are to be practicing tithing today
because of Abraham then we are also obligated to
keep everything that occurred before the law!
Circumcision was given to Abraham before it was
incorporated in the Law of Moses. Abraham and
Jacob were circumcised because God told them to.
By the same standard of tithing, if circumcision
was practiced before the Law then circumcision
should be practiced after the Law. The same
observance applied to tithing should be applied to
circumcision. However the New Testament says
that circumcision was of the Law and need not to
be observed by Christians, we are circumcised in
our heart when we believe in Jesus (Paul says in
Galatians 3 not to keep the law).
Does God still require 10% of your money today?
(remember tithing was not money, in fact it rarely
was). The word “tithe” is used 13 times in the
Bible. Not once do you see the word “money” used
with it. The word “tithes” is used 21 times in the
Bible. The word “money” is not mentioned. It has
become this because of our system we use today,
but this was not strictly so for Israel. 2 Chronicles
31:4-5: “Moreover he commanded the people who
dwelt in Jerusalem to contribute support for the
priests and the Levites, that they might devote
themselves to the Law of the LORD. As soon as the
commandment was circulated, the children of
Israel brought in abundance the firstfruits of
grain and wine, oil and honey, and of all the
produce of the field; and they brought in
abundantly the tithe of everything.”
Giving a tithe (a portion) was not just a practice
by Israel, in ancient history it was practiced
throughout the Middle East. It was income for the
king and his kingdom, like a tax. It may be regular,
voluntary or prescribed by law of a certain
country. The Egyptians were required to give a
fifth part of their crops to Pharaoh (Gen. 47:24).
Abraham, Jacob and others were familiar with this
principle being in foreign lands; however, it was
not yet given as a command for their nation.
The total giving required amount of giving was not
10 percent (that was specific tithe), but over 22%
for the nation. All the goods were used to operate
the nation; tithing was instituted by God to
support Israel as a theocratic state. There is a
difference of obeying the Old covenant laws that
were practiced because of the temple and the
priesthood. Tithing was instituted for the
tabernacle in Moses’ day, not for a church
building. There was only one place for Israelites to
worship God when they were in the land, the
Temple.
“Behold, I have given the children of Levi all the
tithes in Israel as an inheritance in return for the
work which they perform, the work of the
tabernacle of meeting” (Numbers 18:21).
It is the Old Covenant Laws that were given to the
Israelites to perform animal sacrifice today.
Animal sacrifice with offerings, sin offerings,
guilt offerings etc. Why are we taught that we
should no longer be doing animal sacrifice today
but we should still be tithing? The law of Moses
was a unit that cannot be divided, either we keep
it all which brings us out from the new covenant or
we separate from it all and keep the new covenant.
What of Malachi 3:9? If we are to be cursed for
not keeping a certain portion of the law of Moses,
then we are cursed for not keeping the other 613
laws included in the law.
New Testament Giving or Tithing?
Tithing was still practiced in Jesus’ ministry on
Earth (Matthew 23:23, Luke 11:42) for the simple
reason Israel was under the law. The only time
Jesus mentioned the tithe was a rebuke to the
religious leaders “But woe to you Pharisees! For
you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs,
and pass by justice and the love of God. These you
ought to have done, without leaving the others
undone.” In Matthew 23:23 he explains they “have
neglected the weightier matters of the law:
justice and mercy and faith.” These you ought to
have done.” Certainly he had in mind the idea to
help those in need (Deut. 14:27-28; 26:12) the poor
and the strangers that were among them.
Each time the word tithe or tithes appears in the
New Testament it is in reference to the Old
Testament law they were under. Under the Old
covenant God promised blessings for Israel’s
obedience to the commandments and curses for
their disobedience to the commandments. In the
New Testament, once the new covenant is
established to tithe is being disobedient, to give
freely is being obedient.
It is true that walking faith brings some blessings,
for obedience and servanthood is what God
desires. As believers, we all receive certain
blessings because we are under grace. The Bible
even teaches because of God’s general grace “ for
He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good,
and sends rain on the just and on the
unjust” (Matt 5:45). Everybody receives some
blessings even if they do not tithe. But what
happens when we go out from walking under grace
to being under the law? (you can’t do both at the
same time Gal. 3:23-25; Heb. 8:13).
The Law was meant to be our schoolmaster (Gal.
3:24), and meant to bring us to Christ who is the
mediator of the New Covenant to set us free from
the Old. This is very serious to be brought back
under what God has set aside to inoperable by the
New Covenant. Tithing is of the law. If you tithing
in according to the law then you are acting as if
the law has not been abolished for the believer.

3 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by adamsmith81(m): 8:26am On Jul 13, 2014
Kenny4lyfe: Nσω, вєƒσrє уσυ ∂rαω тнαт є-dαggєr яєα∂ ωнaт тнє ωσя∂ σƒ God ѕαуѕ αвσυт тнιѕ ¢αrєƒυℓℓу:
Malachi 3:8
Wιℓℓ α мαη rσвв Gσ∂?
уєт ує нανє rσввє∂ мє!
вυт ує ѕαу, "ωнєrєιη нανє ωє rσввє∂ тнєє?"
ιη тιтнєѕ αη∂ ιη σƒƒєяιηgѕ!"

The hand writing is clearly written on the wall as you can see!
How can a Non-Tither/Anti-Tither possibly justify him/herself before God with this declaration? #TeamAnti_Tithers over to you!
that statement was referred to the people of israel,the tribe of levi are only priests and the have no inheritance in the land of israel.no land is allocated to them,they work or farm but now our pastor they have inheristance in there family n they have other businesses,they worst they over emphasize on this tithe issue

2 Likes

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by Nobody: 8:26am On Jul 13, 2014
Acts 15:24: “Forasmuch as we have heard, that
certain which went out from us have troubled you
with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must
be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave
no such commandment.” Tithing was part of the
law to ISRAEL- NOT the Church.
God sought to kill Moses because he had not
obeyed (Ex.4:22-23) the command He gave to
Abraham (Gen 21:4), to circumcise his son. But not
once do we read of Moses obeying the tithing
command before the Tabernacle and priesthood
laws were given. We see no reaction from the Lord
on this. Why? Because they were not given a
tithing command--until-- the Tabernacle and
priesthood laws were given. Why do some people
want to resurrect the laws that were to point to
Jesus Christ as the fulfillment of the law and the
prophets. Why do some divide the law up into pieces
instead of following ALL of the laws given to the
Israelites in the Old Testament? You can’t obey
only part of the on giving the tithe (again it was
22% not 10%). We can’t obey because we as New
Testament believers have no temple or Levitical
priesthood, we are under a completely different
system. New Covenant Christians do not have to
tithe in order to please God. The intention of our
heart is what God is looking at more than the
amount we give. Ephesians 1: 3 says “Praise be to
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who
has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every
spiritual blessing in Christ.” We have the blessings
by GRACE.
Those who hold the position of tithing for the
church are confused of its purpose and history. No
Christian should be coerced into giving a set
amount to receive God’s blessings. The simple
reason is that it removes them from walking in
grace and puts them under the law. The Pharisees
tithed and watched what people gave, and they
continued to tithe as the church was birthed. The
church did not tithe.
“Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I
have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so
you must do also: On the first day of the week let
each one of you lay something aside, storing up as
he may prosper, that there be no collections when I
come.”(1 Cor. 16:1-2). Notice Paul says the
collection for the saints. This is not necessarily a
weekly tithe but appears to be a collection for
others in need. Those saints in other areas that
were in need of financial help, from one church to
another. “A contribution made by the rich for the
relief of the poor (from Adam Clarke's
Commentary). “A contribution, or collection of
money for a charitable purpose (from Barnes'
Notes).
And what of the commands of helping the poor?
Instead, we only hear about robbing God if we do
not tithe. You are still sinning if you have
something to give, and are selfish towards those in
need. God would rather see people serve and
participate willingly then be under compulsion to
give large amounts of money to others to do the
work. “Let them do good, that they be rich in good
works, ready to give, willing to share, storing up
for themselves a good foundation for the time to
come, that they may lay hold on eternal life. (1
Tim. 6:18-19; Gal.5:13) Numerous needs go unmet
inside our churches. We need to give to brethren
who are in need, not just give to big ministries so
they can become bigger. They are not the only
ones who do God's work.
The principle of tithing in the Old Testament was
to benefit those in need as well: Deuteronomy
26:12: “When thou hast made an end of tithing all
the tithes of thine increase the third year, which
is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the
Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the
widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be
filled.” Deut. 14:27-28: ”You shall not forsake the
Levite who is within your gates, for he has no part
nor inheritance with you. ”At the end of every
third year you shall bring out the tithe of your
produce of that year and store it up within your
gates.” Have you seen any ministry that insists on
tithing do this? Why not, it is part of the tithing
law.
Are you listening to the “TV evangelist” telling you
to sow your seed for your need? Promises,
promises…
Paul writes, “For there are many unruly, vain
talkers and deceivers, specially they of the
circumcision: whose mouths must be stopped, who
subvert whole houses, teaching things which they
ought not, for filthy lucere's sake” (Titus
1:10-11).
The words of Hosea continue to echo to us today,
(4:6) “My people are destroyed for lack of
knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge.”
Bible knowledge is what he is referring to.
New Testament believers are never commanded to
tithe but to give (the amount is between you and
the Lord). Consider the story of Ananias and
Sapphira that has been used and abused in so
many ways-- Acts 5:1-4: “But a certain man
named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a
possession. And he kept back part of the proceeds,
his wife also being aware of it, and brought a
certain part and laid it at the apostles' feet. But
Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your
heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part
of the price of the land for yourself? “While it
remained, was it not your own? And after it was
sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you
conceived this thing in your heart? You have not
lied to men but to God.”
This was not about tithes but a freewill promise
they made and they did not keep their word. This
does not mean as some claim every time you
intentionally lie you will be judged so you must keep
your vows (though we should have no intention of
doing so); not if you were manipulated by lies into
keeping the vow.
Consider what Paul wrote to Timothy the young
pastor of Ephesus, “But godliness with
contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing
into this world, and it is certain we can carry
nothing out. And having food and raiment let us
be therewith content. But they that will be rich
fall into temptation and a snare, and into many
foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in
destruction and perdition. For the love of money is
the root of all evil: which while some coveted after,
they have erred from the faith, and pierced
themselves through with many sorrows. But thou,
O man of God, flee these things; and follow after
righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience,
meekness” (1 Timothy 6:6-11). If someone is
always talking about mammon, then they are not
serving God. You cannot have two masters.
New Covenant Principles
The guideline for our giving to God and His work is
found in 2 Corinthians 9:6-7: “Now this I say, he
who sows sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and
he who sows bountifully shall also reap bountifully.
Let each one do just as he has purposed in his
heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God
loves a cheerful giver.” Grace means freedom- law
means obligation. We should give back to God as he
prospered us, as we purpose in our hearts.
The epistles are the teachings for the church.
They contain numerous instructions, corrections
and rebukes. Not one of these letters have tithing
taught or practiced for the Church--The tithe is
not mentioned as an obligation. Tithing is
mentioned in the book of Hebrews which was
written to Jewish believers in the Messiah, not to
Gentile churches. The word “tithes” is found four
times in Hebrews chapter 7, more than all the
epistles combined. (Heb.7:5, 7:16, and 7:18.) The
New Testament focuses on our High Priests
ministry of Jesus Christ of whom Melchizedek was
pre-figured in type (Heb. 7:2, 4, 5-9). Abraham's
tithe in Hebrews 7 is mentioned to explain the
greater priesthood of Christ, it is not teaching the
practice of tithing to the Church.
Hebrews 7:5: “And verily they that are of the sons
of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood,
have a commandment to take tithes of the people
according to the law, that is, of their brethren,
though they come out of the loins of
Abraham.” (Heb. 7:9-10 Levi was in the loins of his
father when Abraham met the priest of Salem.)
Only the sons of Levi were to receive tithes. This
means if we do not have a Levitical priesthood we
have no right to ask for tithes as if they are
obligated to the church. In other words, the
Levitical priesthood was instituted with the
tabernacle, and the Temple-- not the church. God
has given a new priesthood to the church--
according to the order of Melchizedek. Again, what
was given to this priesthood was a freewill
offering of the spoils, not a portion of Abram’s
income. For the writer of Hebrews says, 7:11-12:
“Therefore, if perfection were through the
Levitical priesthood (for under it the people
received the law), what further need was there
that another priest should rise according to the
order of Melchizedek, and not be called according
to the order of Aaron? For the priesthood being
changed, of necessity there is also a change of the
law.”
Heb 7:16: speaks of the new priesthood “who has
come, not according to the law of a fleshly
commandment, but according to the power of an
endless life.” It continues V.18 “For on the one
hand there is an annulling of the former
commandment because of its weakness and
unprofitableness.” Now here we find something
interesting, the very place many find the origin of
tithing actually denies it continual practice
because of its association with the law. The Jewish
believers were under grace just as the gentiles
were and they were told that the law ended!
There is a disannulling of the commandment. The
Levitical priesthood was not perfect, therefore it
was necessary for a change in the priesthood, and
a change of the law. Hebrews 7:5 tithing is called
a fleshly, (carnal) ordinance, according to the law
because of it association with a priesthood that is
no longer in effect. Jesus’ priesthood is superior,
having the power of an endless life, not in relation
to a covenant that was temporary (Heb.8:13).
Verse 18 disannulling (abolishment) of the
commandment going before (what commandment
is he referring to? The one mentioned in chapter
7, v:19 “for the law made nothing perfect.” (This
includes the commandment to take tithes). Tithing
is abolished according to the New Testament
(discontinued, obsolete). V.19 continues “on the
other hand, there is the bringing in of a better
hope, through which we draw near to God.” V.22
“by so much more Jesus has become a surety of a
better covenant.” The question that needs to be
answered by every individual is: which covenant do
you want to be under?
Throughout the history of the Church many have
attempted to apply portions of the Mosaic Law and
incorporate it into the practice for the church. The
Judaizers did it with circumcision, and other
portions of the law. The Galatians listened to the
Judaizers, as many listen to the lawful tithers of
our day. The same words apply “O foolish
Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should
not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus
Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified
among you” (Gal. 3:1). The law is obsolete
(Heb.8:13). We are under the law of the Spirit
which speaks of liberty, not the Old Testament
law, which obligates tithing as well as many other
things.
The same people that impose their false
interpretation of “for the letter killeth, but the
spirit giveth life” (2 Cor. 3:6) bring people back
under the law to extract money from their pocket
for their ministry support. This is confusion, not
rightly dividing the word. The Pharisees, who loved
money, became blind because they upheld their
own laws and interpretations over Moses’ law, and
were stricter at enforcing them. We essentially
have the same thing going on today with new
concepts of how coerce people to give, now it goes
far beyond tithing. They call it seed faith, the
Bible has nothing to say on this. No Apostle ever
instructed the church to sow a seed, (which is
actually the word according to Jesus) of money,
and wait for a hundredfold harvest to come in.
(according to the prosperity teachers- If it isn’t a
hundredfold then it is still to be used as seed
again.)
They solicit funds by asking the people to open up
your heart (which usually means your wallet) and
give to the work that God is blessing so mightily.
“Give, pressed down and shaken together” as they
promise God will give to you abundantly after you
give to them; “you can’t out give God,” and they
promise a “100 fold blessing,” “Give this amount
now because there is an unusual anointing here,”
or “whatever God gives to me will give to you if you
partner with me.” The Bible says in Proverbs 21:6:
“Getting treasures by a lying tongue is the
fleeting fantasy of those who seek death.” Your
cup runneth over with such lying words and false
promises.
You will always find that those who promote the
“give to get concept” will use the Old Testament.
They will interpret the new in light of the old, not
the old in light of the new. God deals with our
motives and he sees the people using His word for
ill gotten gain. We need to see the manipulation
taking place and make people aware that they are
giving their money to those who buy new cars, jets,
houses and live a luxurious lifestyle. We should
support ministries, big or small, but we need to look
into how the money is actually being spent. We are
supposed to be servants, not live like kings. Pause
and think about it; go to the Scripture to see how
the apostles lived and what they taught the
church.
In Exodus 36 Moses asked the people for offerings
to help build the tabernacle, but even then it was
not tithes, they gave willfully and cheerfully. The
people gave so much that Moses finally asked them
to stop giving. Have you ever heard someone into
seed faith say stop the giving? The New
Testament believers are to operate by grace giving
not tithing by law and we are certainly not to be
ruled by made up prosperity promises by money
hungry men.
A majority of churches practice tithing more as
principle. It may be a matter of semantics when
they collect tithes and offerings. What is often
meant is that they are making a distinction
between regular support of the local church and
giving more as one has been blessed. But there are
some that are very legalistic and make tithing a
matter of proving one is saved. They condemn the
people for not being obedient and basically
spiritually abuse them. The Bible is clear that we
should give to God’s work, but not because we are
obligated to keep a tithing law that is under the
Old covenant.
We are to give freely as we so choose. The New
covenant asks that we give our lives as living
sacrifice to Him who bought us, not just 10% of
our money, according to our reasonable service
(Romans 12:1). Under the law if your giving only
10% of your money you would still be robbing God.
Actually, they rob themselves, because God's
blessings can only come through grace-giving.
The law has passed away (Heb.8:13) we are under
grace. If you have to keep the law then you must
keep it all. The law and grace are two completely
different systems and two completely different
covenants. Romans 8:4: “That the righteousness of
the Law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not
after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” Tithing was
required by the Law; giving is what we do not
according to the Law but according to grace. Our
answer is not to go back under the Law but to be
under grace. Grace is given to us and we choose
how much to “give,” this is not to be confused with
a command to “tithe.” God will bless if you have
your faith in the right thing, not false promises. It
is impossible to keep the tithe exactly as Moses'
law commanded: since it was largely agricultural
and it was specifically for the nation Israel.
If you don't tithe is it a sin? If you barely have
enough to live on it is not the same as someone who
has all their needs met and can easily give. So do
not become overwhelmed with guilt by men who
bring fear of judgment to you.
Again, “Let each one do just as he has purposed in
his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for
God loves a cheerful giver (2 Corinthians 9:7).
Everyone should support the work of their local
church some way, by their serving, their money,
their gifts or talents they have. “Let them do
good, that they be rich in good works, ready to
give, willing to share, storing up for themselves a
good foundation for the time to come, that they
may lay hold on eternal life”(1 Timothy 6:18-19).

1 Like

Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by bonna4u(m): 8:28am On Jul 13, 2014
indomitable234:

but my God is the owner of the universe,all the gold and silver are his,the cattle upon the ten thousand hills are his so your god can go get a job
Very thoughtful
Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by bonna4u(m): 8:28am On Jul 13, 2014
indomitable234:

So thoughtful
Re: .:: Non-tithers Are Criminals ::. by penny01502: 8:31am On Jul 13, 2014
advocate666: Maybe we should sell god some anti-burglary alarm so can stop whinning about being robbed. Omnipotent my assss.
though you sin against God, He still loves you much more than any other things do.
I pray your eyes open to see the light

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo And Bishop Wale Oke Back In The Days (PIC) / Pastors Conduct Deliverance On Members By Flogging Them With Leather Belts / 10 Characteristics Of A Man After God's Heart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.